Trending Topics

Next match: Betis v LFC [Friendly] Sat 27th Jul @ 12:30 am
      Acrisure Stadium

Today is the 15th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P1 W1 D0 L0

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Next Liverpool Manager, who do you want?

Kenny Dalglish
      (44.4%)
      Roy Hodgson
      (10.5%)
      Martin ONeill
      (2.6%)
      Sven Goran Eriksson
      (1.3%)
      Mark Hughes
      (0.7%)
      Frank Rijkaard
      (7.9%)
      Louis van Gaal
      (7.2%)
      Somebody else
      (25.3%)

Who could be the next Liverpool manager?

Read 277685 times
      jckopking
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 539 posts | 10 
      Re: Who could replace Rafa
      Reply #46: Feb 03, 2009 08:36:19 pm
      Maybe Harry Redknapp would like a crack at a top job by then? If he keeps Tottenham up and challenged seriously next season, would he be a candidate?

Or will we be owned by the Arab's by then who would want and would get only the best ?
      « Last Edit: Feb 03, 2009 08:44:32 pm by CRK »
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,732 posts | 3742 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #47: Feb 03, 2009 08:37:14 pm
      Give Sammy Lee a chance? Would be crazy he is unproven. Look what he did to Bolton? Sammy Lee is a great assistant, but manager? I dont know.

At Bolton he didn't had quality players but personally I would choose Hiddink before Lee.

Do you think if all the good managers were coaching a low side at championship or what ever & they are in a very bad spell, they won't be sacked? I think they will be sacked. (My opinion)
      « Last Edit: Feb 03, 2009 08:44:19 pm by CRK »
      paulrobbo
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,875 posts | 106 
      • We are the Mods!
      Reply #48: Feb 03, 2009 08:43:12 pm
      Maybe Harry Redknapp would like a crack at a top job by then ? If he keeps Tottenham up and challenged seriously next season, would he be a candidate?

Or will we be owned by the Arab's by then who would want and would get only the best ?

Harry Redknapp is a tit. I'd rather have Gareth Southgate in charge.
      RedRoy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,483 posts | 88 
      Reply #49: Feb 03, 2009 08:51:11 pm
      12 months ago I would have suggested O'Neil, but after the Barry debacle last summer, his attitude towards LFC leaves disrespect in my mind even though I can see his motives.What about Pep Guardiola hasn't he transformed Barca this season? Forgive my ignorance if this is not the case as I have had no access to spanish Football since I moved house. On balance, because of his man management skills and European experience with Celtic I would probably go for O'Neil as you could be sure our best players would be going nowhere cheaply.
      goldton
      • Forum Phil Thompson

• 490 posts | -10 
      • This is our year FOR SURE....
      Reply #50: Feb 03, 2009 08:55:13 pm
      Maybe Mourinho?
      « Last Edit: Feb 03, 2009 09:20:53 pm by CRK »
      BIG BOB
      • Forum Youth Player

• 15 posts |
      Reply #51: Feb 03, 2009 09:27:33 pm
      Best thing to do is get rid of the bickering yanks behind the scenes, including Rick Parry and let Rafa run the team.
      « Last Edit: Feb 03, 2009 11:07:41 pm by redkenny »
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #52: Feb 03, 2009 09:52:05 pm
      At the minute. Nobody.
      Bpatel
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,902 posts | 158 
      Reply #53: Feb 03, 2009 09:55:47 pm

Totally agree, don't even want to think about Rafa leaving let alone deciding a replacement for him.

mattmcg
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,410 posts | 103 
      Reply #54: Feb 03, 2009 10:20:52 pm
      12 months ago I would have suggested O'Neil, but after the Barry debacle last summer, his attitude towards LFC leaves disrespect in my mind even though I can see his motives.What about Pep Guardiola hasn't he transformed Barca this season? Forgive my ignorance if this is not the case as I have had no access to spanish Football since I moved house. On balance, because of his man management skills and European experience with Celtic I would probably go for O'Neil as you could be sure our best players would be going nowhere cheaply.

To be fair to O'Neill, him being a dick over the Gareth Barry affair is the reason we kept Alonso who is obviously the better player.  Don't know what Rafa was thinking there. 

Anyway don't want Rafa replaced unless there comes a time when he can take the club on no further.  And at this minute in time it would be a backward to replace him IMO.  How can anybody even be thinking about it looking at our position in the league?  ???

If I had to choose a replacement for him if the time ever came, I'd say Hiddink as well.  Or as someone mentioned before, Martin Jol who has the Premier League experience and took a mediocre team to two 5th place finishes.  But still, I wouldn't even contemplate getting rid of Rafa at this moment in time.
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #55: Feb 03, 2009 10:24:48 pm
      Martin Jol may have taken Spurs to 5th place two times, but he hasn't won the league, and I think if we were going to replace the manager, it would have to be somebody who has experience of winning the league several times.
      jckopking
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 539 posts | 10 
      Reply #56: Feb 03, 2009 10:28:54 pm
      Martin Jol may have taken Spurs to 5th place two times, but he hasn't won the league, and I think if we were going to replace the manager, it would have to be somebody who has experience of winning the league several times.
      What about Ferguson?

Just joking !
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #57: Feb 03, 2009 10:32:42 pm
      Oh you better be! :D
      ohcampione
      • Forum Jari Litmanen

• 48 posts |
      Reply #58: Feb 03, 2009 11:00:57 pm

With the hatred i had for Mourinhio i wouldnt be ale to cope with singing his name plus when on me hols in Marbella i told em to go F**k emself so i would really hate it.
      Id like to see Martin o'Neill or else Martin Jol two great managers and also great men. It would be very interesting to see how O'Neill would play Stevie i Think
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,687 posts | 6981 
      Reply #59: Feb 03, 2009 11:03:41 pm
      Just scratching my head and wondering who would make a good manager in about 5/6 years time?

Can't think at the minute.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,218 posts | 3393 
      Reply #60: Feb 03, 2009 11:12:28 pm
      Pellegrino. Learning his trade under Benitez, former player, will know the players. Tailor made for Mauirico ;)
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #61: Feb 03, 2009 11:24:33 pm
      Me, after all i am doing a cracking job of managing Liverpool on Football Manager. Plus i have about 4 previous Football manager games so i know my stuff. i usually get through 6 season on the game so that is 30 years experience of managing Liverpool and in that time i have won many trophies ;)

But in all seriousness, if Rafa were to go then i would say Sammy Lee up until Carragher retires and takes the reigns.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,687 posts | 6981 
      Reply #62: Feb 04, 2009 12:20:54 am
      I really can't picture any other manager being able to lead Liverpool at the moment.  Not without a horrific break up of the side.  I really don't want us being put back another 5 years or so when we are so so close.

If push come to shove I'd probably promote Sammy Lee.  It would certainly be the best option in terms of keeping most of our current playing staff I think.
      Dansven
      • Forum Youth Player

• 23 posts | -2 
      Reply #63: Feb 04, 2009 12:22:34 am
      I have no idea
      Mourinho its sonds good but is very hard for him leave Inter~ anyway

:mad:
      Dmasta
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,895 posts | 553 
      Reply #64: Feb 04, 2009 03:08:36 am
      If Rafa went I'd say hiddink although I might be a bit biased.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #65: Feb 04, 2009 05:30:59 am
      Some people need to realise, this isnt a thread suggesting Rafa should leave, but who would be your replacement.

Reasons for Hiddink:

He is an international manager, he has utilised his squads to get 100% out of them so he knows how to use what he has and get results.

He has a winning mentality, he dominated Dutch football with PSV and took them to the Semi's of the CL.

He has so much respect.

He loves Steven ;)

The only problem i have with him is that it seems he leaves once he thinks he has done all he can. That may not be true deep down for him but it just seems like it abit.
      prettyrabbit
      • Forum Erik Meijer

• 36 posts | -1 
      Reply #66: Feb 04, 2009 06:11:46 am
      Absolutely rubbish.

Do you still remember the days we are struggling for the 4th place of the table?

Rafa improves our squad and makes us a strong team.

We should have not only passion but also patience.

Some people need to realise, this isnt a thread suggesting Rafa should leave, but who would be your replacement.

Reasons for Hiddink:

He is an international manager, he has utilised his squads to get 100% out of them so he knows how to use what he has and get results.

He has a winning mentality, he dominated Dutch football with PSV and took them to the Semi's of the CL.

He has so much respect.

He loves Steven ;)

The only problem I have with him is that it seems he leaves once he thinks he has done all he can. That may not be true deep down for him but it just seems like it abit.

I think Hiddink is another Scolari.
      « Last Edit: Feb 04, 2009 07:44:57 pm by CRK, Reason: Consecutive posts »
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #67: Feb 04, 2009 06:17:30 am
      Scolari never had experience at a club side in Europe, that is very difficult to do when going to a club like Chelsea. Hiddink has been tried and tested at a very high level in club football.
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #68: Feb 04, 2009 06:23:16 am
      To be honest, I think Martin O'neill.

Quick Reply