Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 29th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P8 W3 D3 L2

Itandje's Behaviour At The Hillsborough Service

Read 24310 times
      Gow
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,531 posts | 282 
      Re: Itandje yesterday at the service
      Reply #115: Apr 18, 2009 01:34:03 am
      Yep, signed that the other day. Maybe give it it's own thread though?
      BigRed1978
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,874 posts | 51 
      • Y.N.W.A
      Reply #116: Apr 18, 2009 01:44:52 am
      Seconded, JD? Any chance of a sticky thread for this petition?
      SuperSkrtel
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 387 posts |
      Reply #117: Apr 18, 2009 01:50:30 am
      Absolute disgrace Itandje fair play to Plessis for blanking the overpayed under talented clown
      phillio67
      • Justice For The 96
      • Forum Neil Ruddock

• 157 posts |
      Reply #118: Apr 18, 2009 01:54:24 am
      Seconded, JD? Any chance of a sticky thread for this petition?

No disrespect FORUM MODS, but why hasn't it ?, have you all been on facebook lately ? there are loads of groups fighting for justice for the 96....(not sure if this is seen as a political thing) I hope I don't get banned from here for this, it is only my opinion and I am sure in a court of law I would have a right of "freedom of speech" no offence or disrespect is intended.

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=2229018396

http://www.facebook.com/groups.php?ref=sb#/group.php?gid=54308544799

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=46247304278

http://www.facebook.com/groups.php?ref=sb#/group.php?gid=71922880769

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=2255467068

dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,141 posts | 3383 
      Reply #119: Apr 18, 2009 02:00:36 am
      ^^^^^
      Personally mate I think the fact that's there a board dedicated to Hillsborough tragedy and the fight(s) for Justice is enough. I've no doubt that this thread will end up on that board at some point.
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #120: Apr 18, 2009 02:17:56 am
      Noticed there was one or two posts saying don't focus on this incident.

Personally I find it pretty hard not to focus on this incident when it involves a player who is on the books for our club. If anyone would have seen the struggle that some people went through to get into the ground to pay their respects - including people who were there that dreadful day who haven't been mentally able to go to a service at Anfield in the past, then I'm pretty sure the focus would be all about what this incident means.

Here we have a player who doesn't care whether he's here or not, probably has no real clue what he was at the service for but had a simple walk off a coach into the Kop to a round of applause.

Yesterday I listened to Tony Smith on Radio Merseyside giving his account of being dragged from the Leppings Lane unconscious at 3:24pm (he only knew this because he seen a video of it when he got back to a support group which was set up in Stanley Park) put on an advertising board and had heroic Liverpool fans run up the pitch to take him to the gym where he woke up as people were cutting his clothes off him and he was surrounded by scenes and sounds most of us can't imagine. He blacked out again and when he woke up, he was in hospital.

He went to the memorial on Wednesday but he had to do it the 'normal' people's way. Like me and a few others off here, he was caught up in the ridiculous organisation outside the ground to get in. And he didn't like it. Can anyone blame him? Yet we've got Charles here who swans in thinking he's funny like a little school kid, earning a good wage and having the chance to play for Liverpool.

Make no mistake, this was a huge incident just for this reason. And that's without mentioning respect for the families.
      mabhijithn
      • On Trial

• 2 posts |
      Reply #121: Apr 18, 2009 06:27:31 am
      I saw the video and did not find it funny. On the contrary it was shocking and among 30000 people present presumably only a single person acted so and he is a player, its more disturbing still. Some examples must be set and he must get the stick.
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,727 posts | 3741 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #122: Apr 18, 2009 08:28:25 am
      ITANDJE SUSPENDED FOR 14 DAYS
      Paul Eaton 18 April 2009
         Charles Itandje has been suspended by Liverpool FC for 14 days while his conduct during Wednesday's Hillsborough service is investigated.
      Itandje was told not to attend training yesterday on the instructions of team manager Rafa Benitez.

A Liverpool spokesman confirmed: "Charles Itandje has now been officially suspended for 14 days by the club while we investigate his conduct during the Hillsborough Memorial Service."
      james08kop
      • Forum Jamie Redknapp

• 312 posts | -2 
      Charles Itandje suspended
      Reply #123: Apr 18, 2009 09:47:14 am
      Reserve goalkeeper Charles Itandje is seen smiling and nudging a team-mate in footage of the service held to remember the 96 fans killed in the 1989 tragedy.

About 30,000 supporters, players past and present and families of survivors attended the service at Anfield.

Itandje has been suspended for 14 days while the club probes the allegations.

The footage of the French goalkeeper, who was sitting in the Kop with fellow players, behind families of the victims, is being circulated on the internet.

Damian Plessis, a Liverpool reserve midfielder who is also from France, is shown not to react as he is nudged by Itandje.

Itandje was told by Liverpool manager Rafa Benitez not to attend training on Friday.

A Liverpool spokesman confirmed: "Charles Itandje has now been officially suspended for 14 days by the club while we investigate his conduct during the Hillsborough Memorial Service."

Richie Pedder, chairman of the LFC supporters' club, said of the goalkeeper: "I don't think he realised the importance of the occasion.

I'm sure the club will investigate it properly
      Margaret Aspinall, Hillsborough Families Support Group

"That sort of behaviour was not appropriate.

"I don't think he will still be at the club come the summer."

The 96 Liverpool fans were crushed to death during Liverpool's FA Cup semi final against Nottingham Forest on 15 April 1989.

Many fans have written comments branding Itandje disrespectful, immature and insensitive or have called for him to be sacked or sold.

One comment on the popular lfcreds.com site said: "Hillsborough is a very meaningful and important event for Liverpool, the families of the victims, the club, the team and the people of Liverpool.

"If Itandje really did that, then he has no respect."

Itandje signed for Liverpool in August 2007 and made his first team debut the following month, but has not played for the first team this season.

He was placed on the club's transfer list last summer.

Margaret Aspinall, who lost her 18-year-old son James in the stadium disaster and is vice chair of the Hillsborough Families Support Group, said: "I'm sure the club will investigate it properly."
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Re: Charles Itandje suspended
      Reply #124: Apr 18, 2009 09:48:31 am
      This has already been posted in the existing thread mate a few days back.
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #125: Apr 18, 2009 09:51:05 am
      Serious stuff then, rightly so.
      johnolly
      • Forum Paul Walsh

• 117 posts |
      Reply #126: Apr 18, 2009 09:58:26 am
      I am so glad the club have stepped in and suspended him, he needs to leave, its not a loss anyway, i hope his wages get stopped on suspension. If he is on the transfer list anyway then give him away. I do not think i have ever wanted to slap a liverpool player before.
      Gow
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,531 posts | 282 
      Reply #127: Apr 18, 2009 10:31:37 am
      The club have done the right thing. They probably need time to find out how they can terminate his conduct without having to pay it up.

Good riddance to bad news!
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,494 posts | 2868 
      Reply #128: Apr 18, 2009 11:08:48 am
      SUSPENDED ITANDJE SAYS SORRY
      Charles Itandje has today apologised for his behaviour during the Hillsborough service - as Liverpool Football Club announced he has been suspended for 14 days.
      On the instructions of team manager Rafa Benitez, the French goalkeeper was told not to attend training yesterday as the club conducts an investigation into his actions during Wednesday's memorial service at Anfield.

"Charles Itandje has now been officially suspended for 14 days by the club while we investigate his conduct during the Hillsborough Memorial Service," confirmed a spokesman.

Itandje has today issued a full and unreserved apology for his behaviour during the service, and pledged to meet with the Hillsborough families to apologise in person.

"First of all, if my behaviour has caused offence to anyone then I can only apologise," he told the Liverpool Echo.

"I am sorry. I am sorry. I am sorry. A thousand times, I am sorry.

"To the club, to the fans and especially to the families, I am deeply sorry.

"It was, of course, never my intention to offend or disrespect anyone.

"The events at Hillsborough were a tragedy and in no way did I mean to disrespect the memory of what happened 20 years ago. I would never do that. I would like to speak to the families in person to offer my apologies to them because, like I said, I never meant to hurt anyone."

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/drilldown/N164063090418-0810.htm
      Gow
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,531 posts | 282 
      Reply #129: Apr 18, 2009 11:10:16 am
      http://www.setanta.com//uk/Articles/Football/2009/04/18/Prem-Liverpool-suspend-Itandje/gnid-49126/

Itandje has since apologised for his actions and insists he did not mean to upset the victims of the tragedy.

He told the Liverpool Echo: "First of all, if my behaviour has caused offence to anyone then I can only apologise.

"I am sorry, I am sorry, I am sorry. A thousand times, I am sorry.

"To the club, to the fans and especially to the families, I am deeply sorry.

"It was, of course, never my intention to offend or disrespect anyone.

"The events of Hillsborough were a tragedy and in no way did I mean to disrespect the memory of what happened 20 years ago.

"I would never do that.

"I would like to speak to the families in person to offer my apologies to them because, like I said, I never meant to hurt anyone."
      Gow
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,531 posts | 282 
      Reply #130: Apr 18, 2009 11:10:46 am
      Oops, you beat me to it!
      BlackenedUK
      • Forum Jari Litmanen

• 46 posts |
      Reply #131: Apr 18, 2009 11:17:03 am
      Fair enough he's apologised, but he shouldn't have been messing about in the first place.
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #132: Apr 18, 2009 11:26:31 am
      I like the fact he said he wants to meet the families in person to apologise to them face to face. Whether that will happen or not though, I don't know.
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #133: Apr 18, 2009 11:34:06 am
      Though he offered to meet the families and apologise, it will not change the fact that he has been disrespectful to the families of the 96 and the whole of Liverpool who have been fighting for justice for 20 years.
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #134: Apr 18, 2009 11:35:37 am
      Obviously it won't change the fact that he has been disrespectful but I suppose at least he knows he's completely stupid to do what he did and he can't really do anything more now to make up for it than to apologise to the families personally.
      MsGerrard
      Reply #135: Apr 18, 2009 12:03:04 pm
      Bet he wishes he could turn the clock back  ::)

To late though now, the damage has been done.

Silly silly boy.
      redsonfire
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,660 posts | 111 
      • 96 Candles Burn Bright
      Reply #136: Apr 18, 2009 12:05:37 pm
      14 days?

I think he should have just kept his mouth shut and not talk. Show it through your actions, it was a solemn day on 15th April and there you were joking at the service.

You can't make up for the wrong you have done now!
      lizzieroz
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 325 posts |
      Reply #137: Apr 18, 2009 01:28:35 pm
      He's proved, if it needed proving, that he is not worthy of a shirt with the Liverpool family crest on it, as he clearly does not respect the sentiments attached to it.

A 14 day suspension is hardly a punishment, and I hope that it truly is while the club sort out the legal paperwork for sacking him

Quick Reply