Trending Topics

Next match: Betis v LFC [Friendly] Sat 27th Jul @ 12:30 am
      Acrisure Stadium

Today is the 16th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P0 W0 D0 L0

Confederations Cup 2009

Read 51018 times
      Bpatel
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,902 posts | 158 
      Re: Confederations Cup 2009
      Reply #529: Jun 24, 2009 09:22:53 pm
      I would have liked the lads to come back and show off their medals, but I'm glad none of them are injured.

Oh well, they'll make up for it by helping us do the double next season.
      Dmasta
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,895 posts | 553 
      Reply #530: Jun 24, 2009 09:23:39 pm
      WTF! The yankie beat Spain is like boro beat liverpool. Pussy! Just lucky. but look at the bright side. Our spianish players can get some rest.
      It's like tranmere rovers beating liverpool more like. I only caught the last five minutes can anyone fill me in on what happened?
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #531: Jun 24, 2009 09:24:18 pm
      To be honest, they lost once, so what. Spain are still one of the favourites to win the World Cup which is a completely different concept to the 'Confederations'.

bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #532: Jun 24, 2009 09:25:53 pm
      Oh my god im in America (not american, but my girlfriend is) and watching the ESPN Coverage of the game. You would think they have just won the world cup the way they are going on. Hope they lose the final!
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #533: Jun 24, 2009 09:26:47 pm
      Oh well, they'll make up for it by helping us do the double next season.

Indeed!!! I'll be happy with the league, but a double would be extra nice.
      redsonfire
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,660 posts | 111 
      • 96 Candles Burn Bright
      Reply #534: Jun 24, 2009 09:27:18 pm
      It's like tranmere rovers beating liverpool more like. I only caught the last five minutes can anyone fill me in on what happened?

Basically USA did a Stoke. Spain were attacking attacking attacking but just could not find the goal. Then USA hit on the counter attack, had 2 shots on goal and there were 2 goals.

The second goal was dire defending by Ramos and Pique though.
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #535: Jun 24, 2009 09:28:35 pm
      http://www.fifa.com/confederationscup/matches/index.html

Why are Italy in the match for third place?

Shouldn't it be Spain vs the loser tommorow?
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #536: Jun 24, 2009 09:29:18 pm

Usa had 3 or 4 shots, Spain 20ish, Usa got 2 goals :P Just one of those off days, shows that it just happens. Good thing is Torres, four games starting each time, still looking fit! :)

Ramos should saw his f***ing leg off though!!
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,517 posts | 8685 
      Reply #537: Jun 24, 2009 09:31:51 pm
      http://www.fifa.com/confederationscup/matches/index.html

Why are Italy in the match for third place?

Shouldn't it be Spain vs the loser tommorow?

Just clicked on that link and it's saying Spain are in the third-place match.

Oh my god im in America (not american, but my girlfriend is) and watching the ESPN Coverage of the game. You would think they have just won the world cup the way they are going on. Hope they lose the final!

Wouldn't worry Brazil will beat them, they are the defending champions of this trophy.
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #538: Jun 24, 2009 09:32:43 pm
      Just clicked on that link and it's saying Spain are in the third-place match.

Wouldn't worry Brazil will beat them, they are the defending champions of this trophy.

Ahh it's been changed :)
      Darkone
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 770 posts | -7 
      • YNWA
      Reply #539: Jun 24, 2009 09:32:48 pm
      oh. sh*t. our spainish players can have a rest yet. They still have to fight for 3rd place.
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #540: Jun 24, 2009 09:33:26 pm
      oh. sh*t. our spainish players can have a rest yet. They still have to fight for 3rd place.

Hmm, not sure they are going to 'fight' for 3rd place. I hope our players don't play to be honest. They probably will though.
      Reslivo
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,490 posts | 521 
      Reply #541: Jun 24, 2009 09:36:29 pm
      At least Xabi hasn't binned his "kick me" sign! ;D
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #542: Jun 24, 2009 09:37:39 pm
      At least Xabi hasn't binned his "kick me" sign! ;D

Another reason he can't leave us, that should at least add 10-15mil to his asking price :D
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #543: Jun 24, 2009 10:36:19 pm
      ESPN in America is eating up the win, quotes such as "is this going to kick start a big run at the world cup" and "we can beat the best"
      They beat the best on the scoreboard, not on the field. And a big run at the World Cup? You have got to be kidding me :D
      lester76
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,810 posts | 242 
      Reply #544: Jun 24, 2009 11:00:45 pm
      I thought the US did really well and showed what they are good at. They are extremely fit, very resiliant, keep things very basic and do the simple stuff well. They play as a team and were throwing themselves in front of any shot or pass.
      Saying all that though, Spain looked tired and not really up for it untill they realised that this one was getting away from them.
      I also think that Spain losing is a good thing for the Liverpool futures of our spanish players. If Spain had won they would be in to the final and would surely have given a better account of themeselves. There would then be a greater feeling of national pride amongst the team and many players would be inclined to commit themselves to a more spanish future.
      With them losing I think many will be slightly embarrased and will welcome getting away from their home nation and back to England.
      Just a thought but its making me feel more positive!

Also Riena has looked pretty good in the last few games. Pleased for him and hope he comes back next season a little more confident and committed to turning in better performances.
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #545: Jun 24, 2009 11:17:25 pm
      Yeah Riera was looking real good wasn't he? I was pleased to see it to, and yeah hopefully he brings it back to us. He clearly showed he can play at the highest level, playing well for the number one team in the world after all.
      As for the US, yeah they showed resiliance and such, i was just frustrated because it reminded me of the Boro game in February :P
      YANK_LFC_FAN
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,507 posts | 426 
      • Timid men prefer the calm of despotism!
      Reply #546: Jun 25, 2009 01:33:50 am
      ESPN in America is eating up the win, quotes such as "is this going to kick start a big run at the world cup" and "we can beat the best"
      They beat the best on the scoreboard, not on the field. And a big run at the World Cup? You have got to be kidding me :D
      League Football in America, the MLS, is nowhere near the level of the Premier League,Serie A etc,etc, However the National Team is good and can compete with any other National Team. This win should show that.

I agree that our last World Cup run was abysmal and an embarrasement. We just didn't show up. Are we as good as Italy,England,Germany?  Maybe, I think we have just as much as chance as any of the other "Top Squads".
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #547: Jun 25, 2009 02:22:20 am
      League Football in America, the MLS, is nowhere near the level of the Premier League,Serie A etc,etc, However the National Team is good and can compete with any other National Team. This win should show that.

I agree that our last World Cup run was abysmal and an embarrasement. We just didn't show up. Are we as good as Italy,England,Germany?  Maybe, I think we have just as much as chance as any of the other "Top Squads".

Yes you can compete with any other national team, of course. Theres 100+ nations, of course you can :P

However, don't even kid yourself you can compete with teams like Germany, England, Italy etc. Spain also, if you came up against them again next week they would win comfortably. Spain had control for 75% of todays game, and they were not even playing to their best.
      Im not trying to take it away from the US, its a big moment for them and i hope football grows in america, but there is alot, ALOT of improvement needed for a World cup run to come to any fruition. If you manage to beat Brazil in good fashion (im presuming brazil make the final, but anything can happen, obviously :P) then maybe ill change my thinking a little. But even then, it will just be one of those dream runs that happens. The reason Spain are still ten times better than the US team is because they have had an unbeaten run of 35matches in the toughest continent in world soccer.
      I said to someone earlier, a Yank too, that the only US player that really had a decent game for the full 90 was Howard. And he agreed.
      Comparing the US team to the other "Top Squads" as you said is an insult to those teams, because they are far superior.
      Im not trying to start an argument, i just couldn't beleive that you believed that.
      musu
      • Forum Paul Ince

• 85 posts | -1 
      Reply #548: Jun 25, 2009 02:53:25 am
      agreed bigvYNWA... the us has no chance of ever having a respectable football team.

As a spain fan in the us, i must say that my shame and pissed offness knows no bounds right now.  :mad:
      they should have had Pepe in goal instead of Iker
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #549: Jun 25, 2009 03:05:00 am
      Yeah, i mean the US are by no means an average team in my eyes though, but will never compete with the top sides from Europe when Football is at least fifth choice as far as sports go here.

And yes i would have said Pepe in goal all the way :D
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #550: Jun 25, 2009 03:07:31 am
      I can't believe Spain lost to the United States. Thought it would be a walk in a park, to be honest. Maybe they were like me - overconfident. All the talk about a dream final between Spain and Brazil.

South Africa to beat Brazil! It'd be the same matches if Brazil goes through.
      Darkone
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 770 posts | -7 
      • YNWA
      Reply #551: Jun 25, 2009 03:33:30 am
      No worry for Spain at the World Cup now. I heard from some SA report says that no team have won the World Cup after won the Confed Cup. Maybe Spain are not meant to win the Confed Cup, but the World Cup.

Quick Reply