Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 29th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P8 W3 D3 L2

If you could go back in time

Read 9989 times
      YANK_LFC_FAN
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,507 posts | 426 
      • Timid men prefer the calm of despotism!
      Re: If you could go back in time
      Reply #46: Sep 29, 2009 05:37:06 pm
      Ah no, I knew America only entered then. I thought you would like to see the whole war though :D

Hitler was a f**king maniac though wasn't he. I have just recently started reading a book on D-Day by the guy who wrote Band of Brothers and that has got alot of interesting information about how Hitler thought everything would go down, and he basically just wouldn't take no for an answer it seemed, which was his downfall. If he could have just strategized his operations better rather than all out attack when he obviously didn't have the resources, nor the knowledge of some of the grounds he was fighting on (the offensive against the USSR, huge mistake in not preparing for the harsh winters)
      Although he was smart in ways, like not wanting the US in the war, he was a crazy fu**ed up man and like I said in mine, if I could go back in time id knock him off before he could start what he did.
      I do remember a quote from a german soldier which highlights the industrial power of the US, was something like this, "We were sitting in our position, firing our 88 at every Sherman that came over the rise, blowing them up one by one. But yet they kept coming, one after the other as we fired on them. But we only had so much ammunition, and once it ran out, the Shermans over-ran us"
      Shows that sheer numbers does play a major part in some conflicts!

Really wanna see this book Yank! :D
      Yeah, Stephen Ambrose was an expert Historian. His books are so good and detailed. He actually has about a dozen books or so. Unfortunately, he died a little while back.  Its a shame he was such a good writer and Historian.

The beginning of the war was a disaster for the US. The first fighting of US forces was in Africa not the Pacific.  Rommel almost wiped us out. We had no concepts of Tank warfare or how to coordinate our armor and air power.  At Kasserine Pass Rommel just destroyed the US division and pushed them back over 50 miles.  After our losses in Africa, the commander was relieved of duty and Patton was in command. After that he coordinated our forces in Africa and from then on the American and British divisions under Montgomery were hugely successful.

Its amazing how the littlest things could of changed the entire war. If Hitler just allowed his Generals and Commanders to do their job, we might of been looking at a different world. 

One thing which is just now being talked about is what would of happened if the Germans won.  Numerous historians have debated that even if the Nazis were succesful and managed to negotiate peace and keep the occupied territories, that they could not of properly managed and governed the areas. The conquered territories including the vast areas deep into Russia were 1000 times larger than pre-war Germany.  They just would not of been able to properly control and govern the areas. Eventually they would of lost just because the materials and manpower to hold onto those conquered areas would overwhelm the government. They were a victim of their own success's.

I'm hoping to one day finsh the book. Unfortuneatly, the research I need to do requires me to have access to the recently opened Russian and German Archives.  After the war the Russians managed to secure vast amounts of Nazi files and documents. The Germans also opened their archives to researchers.  Warehouse size amounts. So, I would need to travel to Russia and Germany to finish my research and thats just an impossible task right now.
      LFCBAFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,539 posts | 30 
      • Scousers rule the country!
      Reply #47: Sep 29, 2009 05:44:30 pm
      If I could go back in time I would warn everyone about hitler

also I would stop the hillsbrough and heysal disaters

RIP 96, Hitlers sufferers and the 38
      YANK_LFC_FAN
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,507 posts | 426 
      • Timid men prefer the calm of despotism!
      Reply #48: Sep 29, 2009 05:56:49 pm
      Sorry about my last few posts.....A bit off topic ???

Going back to Hillsbrough....Didn't even think about that.

But honestly what could you do? It was such a massive amount of factors that combined into a disaster.

YNWA
      LFCBAFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,539 posts | 30 
      • Scousers rule the country!
      Reply #49: Sep 29, 2009 06:16:52 pm
      I would tell them idiot police that there were too much fans coming in which would cause a crush

RIP 96
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #50: Sep 30, 2009 12:18:24 am
      Hope you get the chance anyways Yank Fan. Hillsborough, how that didn't come to mind i don't know. One thing that would be very hard to stop though, and i think if it didn't happen then it may have another time. Though, id like to hope it would never have happened if there had been some warning.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,141 posts | 3383 
      Reply #51: Sep 30, 2009 12:53:37 am
      On people wanting to go back to the time of the Hillsborough disaster, I think you have to wonder if you could cope with living through such a disaster. I know I couldn't, I'd end up going off me head. If you're saying you want to go back to try and prevent it from happening then I'm afraid you'd be putting football supporters of the last 20 years in danger of losing their lives. One thing the disaster caused was all seated stadiums.

I'm not saying "oh isn't it good the 96 died" but preventing it would possibly cause more danger later on. It's something that had to happen, like all things in life, nobody had a plan for it until it happened. Once it'd happened, the FA realised stadiums had to be all seater as the pen system with the terraces was too dangerous. So it had to happen for the safety of those football supporters afterwards, unfortunately it took a disaster of such huge proportion for the FA to realise this. That's the tragedy, that it took 96 innocent people losing their lives because of the incompotence of others to make the FA realise all seater stadiums were required.

Despite the pen system and terraces being in football for years an nothing on the same magnitude of the Hillsborough disaster happening during that time, it was always a risk. The swaying Kop, as great as it looks on the telly and as safe as you probably were in it, there was always the risk of tragedy happening. If it hadn't happened at Hillsborough in 89, it'd of happened at Loftus Road in 93 or Kennilworth Rd in 94 or Maine Rd in 97 instead. It's just one of those cases that was going to happen and unfortunately for our club, our fans, our sport and the families of the 96 it took a disaster of that size for the FA to make all seater stadiums a must.
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #52: Sep 30, 2009 01:00:41 am
      Same as i thought DLS. Although it was such a tragedy and it should never have happened, it awakened the football world to the need of more organized, seated stadiums. Like i said if there had been some warning i would hope it would never happen, but in all honesty i think that was a disaster that was going to happen. It was unfortunate that it was 96 of our brothers, fathers, sisters, mothers, friends etc, that it happened to.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,683 posts | 6980 
      Reply #53: Sep 30, 2009 01:10:35 am
      I appreciate we are on a Liverpool forum - but I think the thread was more expansive than the Hillsborough 96 or the Heysel 39.

Both of those events are ones of collective grief which are clearly important to us on here - I'm sure saving 6 million people from the gas chambers would also rank pretty highly.  This is a good thread so if people can stick to their own personal memories.

aw1 - fantastic post by the way.
      RedRoy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,483 posts | 88 
      Reply #54: Sep 30, 2009 01:15:18 am
      On people wanting to go back to the time of the Hillsborough disaster, I think you have to wonder if you could cope with living through such a disaster. I know I couldn't, I'd end up going off me head. If you're saying you want to go back to try and prevent it from happening then I'm afraid you'd be putting football supporters of the last 20 years in danger of losing their lives. One thing the disaster caused was all seated stadiums.

I'm not saying "oh isn't it good the 96 died" but preventing it would possibly cause more danger later on. It's something that had to happen, like all things in life, nobody had a plan for it until it happened. Once it'd happened, the FA realised stadiums had to be all seater as the pen system with the terraces was too dangerous. So it had to happen for the safety of those football supporters afterwards, unfortunately it took a disaster of such huge proportion for the FA to realise this. That's the tragedy, that it took 96 innocent people losing their lives because of the incompotence of others to make the FA realise all seater stadiums were required.

Despite the pen system and terraces being in football for years an nothing on the same magnitude of the Hillsborough disaster happening during that time, it was always a risk. The swaying Kop, as great as it looks on the telly and as safe as you probably were in it, there was always the risk of tragedy happening. If it hadn't happened at Hillsborough in 89, it'd of happened at Loftus Road in 93 or Kennilworth Rd in 94 or Maine Rd in 97 instead. It's just one of those cases that was going to happen and unfortunately for our club, our fans, our sport and the families of the 96 it took a disaster of that size for the FA to make all seater stadiums a must.
      No mate your'e wrong. The crush in the Kop in thr 60's&70's was infuenced by the fans, but at Hillsborough, it was taken out of our control.People were pushed in to the Leppings lane end to solve a policing problem, nothing to do with the fans,other than some brothers getting in without a ticket (as usual).So if I went back in time I would try to stop the bizzy in control from opening the gates.
      whyohwhyohwhy
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,283 posts | 95 
      Reply #55: Sep 30, 2009 04:53:47 am
      Don't forget the Bradford disaster.  An entire stand burnt down with fans in it.  56 died in that disaster.  Absolutely tragic.  Although how that could have been prevented I don't know.  A wooden stand was always going to be a potential problem but who would have ever second-guessed what happened.

I worked with a woman who died in the Kings Cross station fire in London.  Used to sit next to her.  That was really upsetting, they never found a trace of her remains.  Another work colleague of mine dropped down dead in the office having suffered a massive heart attack..at the age of 42.

How could you stop any of that happening?  Don't take the tube today Nat?  Lay off the e's and stuff Noel?  I have no idea.

I've been thinking about this thread since it went up.  After my dad died my mum eventually remarried.  Sad to say that my step-dad also died because of cancer.  Bowel cancer this time that spread to his liver.  My first post on this thread was an unrealistic "I'd cure the cancer my dad had so he wouldn't have died".  If that was ever possible then I wouldn't change my mind but it's not atm so I'm now thinking a bit differently.  My step-sister was flying home from Australia when her dad (my step dad) died.  So if I could change anything I would change the date on her ticket so that she came home a couple of days earlier so if she wanted to she could say her goodbyes.
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #56: Oct 17, 2009 12:20:21 am
      Nostalgia thread has just jogged my memory to bits.

If I could go back in time right now, I'd go back to when me and my dad used to play football in the back garden.

Our back garden was quite narrow but very long. Immediately as you step out the back door, there was a paved yard for about 6 yards and then it was all grass apart from a tiny path that went just short of the back of the garden on the right hand side. At the end of this path, there was a steel clothes line post. This was one of the goal posts.

But we all know you can't have a goal with one goal post. So, much to the frustration of my mum and my nan who lived next door to the left, my dad painted the fence post that was adjacent to the clothes line post, white. Thus making two goal posts without any crossbar.

It was alright for a while. Of course, it was always me who ended up in goal with the words ringing in my ear 'it's alright, you can have a few shots soon, just wait until I score a few curlers'. And I was meant to be the kid!!

So after me becoming a very good goalie and having the often attempt at goal trying to score against a giant, both me and my dad couldn't cope with not having a proper goal.

So. My dad got some wood and built a goal frame. Nothing special, just two posts that were as high as the clothes line post and a crossbar. And he painted them white. But if my mum and nan were offended by the painted fence post, they were in for a proper shock when my dad got an old candlewick bed sheet that was handed down from my nan....which was the colour mix-mash of what can only be described as bright pink with a shade of dark purple. And he nailed it to the goal to make a net and put bricks at the back of it to stop the ball going through it.

Genius.

You should have seen my face when I got home from school and said to him 'game of footy?', then went into the back garden. It was the best thing ever!!!! For once, I really wanted to be in goal because I was gonna stop him from scoring in a proper goal!!

I'm sure he must have got it in the ear from my mum for a while. I remember at the time I used hear the word 'eyesore' a lot. I also remember my nan not being too happy for a while, but my Granddad would always sneak out and have a cheeky kick around with us while my nan wasn't looking.

That is something I used to love immensely. If I could go back in time right now, I'd go back to them times......

(no wonder I was good in goal and good at scoring goals!!!)
      Gow
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,531 posts | 282 
      Reply #57: Oct 17, 2009 12:24:38 am
      Ah good times Kenny. Nice to jog my memories of Glastonbury Crescent back garden. We had some proper times out there. Good, mad, bad. They were all there! :)

I'd go back to that day in the Childwall Fiveways Pub. No doubt. I should have married that girl!
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #58: Oct 17, 2009 12:26:20 am
      I'd go back to that day in the Childwall Fiveways Pub. No doubt. I should have married that girl!

Quite a few of mine are orientated around girls, wish I'd done this/that etc!

That sounds mint Kenny. Really nice reading that.
      Gow
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,531 posts | 282 
      Reply #59: Oct 17, 2009 12:26:57 am
      No but mate, I really should have.
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #60: Oct 17, 2009 12:33:01 am
      Ah good times Kenny. Nice to jog my memories of Glastonbury Crescent back garden. We had some proper times out there. Good, mad, bad. They were all there! :)

Glastonbury Crescent was boss. There's loads of things I could ramble on about regarding that era.

Hit me with a good time Gow!! One that doesn't involve that girl. You beat yourself up too much about that and I won't allow it!!

Rosster! Get on Ch4!! (not literally obviously) And cheers mate. Glad you enjoyed reading it. It's nice to know people take the time to read.

Gow
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,531 posts | 282 
      Reply #61: Oct 17, 2009 12:36:55 am
      Like playing Kerbie outside your house on Glastonbury Crescent when we were about 7 or 8? Me getting hit in the nuts? ::) :D

EDIT: Or standing in the garden watching a police car chase down your road? :lmao:
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #62: Oct 17, 2009 12:37:02 am
      Kenny you legend.
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #63: Oct 17, 2009 12:41:34 am
      On topic though - my first ever date. To the local cinema. :lmao:

She was nothing special, just the fact it was my first real experience with a girl/relationship. I'll never forget how I felt walking home that day. I felt on top of the world. I probably had a smile the size of I don't know what all the way back. Probably looked a right weirdo to passing drivers!

Another thing that keeps popping up in my head when in this thread is a holiday I went on many years ago - went with my brother/parents, my aunty/uncle and my 3 cousins. One of my cousins I've always been real close with, he's in the year above and I had the time of my life on that holiday. Even if I probably spent most of it just pissing around in the pool etc, it was mint.
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #64: Oct 17, 2009 12:41:57 am
      Like playing Kerbie outside your house on Glastonbury Crescent when we were about 7 or 8? Me getting hit in the nuts? ::) :D

EDIT: Or standing in the garden watching a police car chase down your road? :lmao:

That never happened by ours? Stop trying to give Noggsy a bad name you big posh snob. Not you getting hit in the nuts - that was a weekly occurrence.  ;)

What about going back to playing footie in our school yard when you lived opposite our school? I'd defo go back to there!

I know.
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #65: Oct 17, 2009 12:44:30 am
      What about going back to playing footie in our school yard when you lived opposite our school? I'd defo go back to there!

No point in speaking codeword.

I know exactly what you're getting at.
      Gow
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,531 posts | 282 
      Reply #66: Oct 17, 2009 12:45:39 am
      In the big Tessies yard in front of mine, playing shooties from the little entrance with that little ledge it was boss to climb up on and sit with your legs hanging over, to the other doors that were slanted away slightly down the youth club end. With a flyaway. It must have been (or it seemed at least) 50 yards, and the flyaway would come back to you on windy days! Scored some proper boss Alonso's in that yard!

And the Tessies Spion Kop.
      RedRoy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,483 posts | 88 
      Reply #67: Oct 17, 2009 12:49:26 am
      Mates if I could go back in time I would go back to 1967.I was 17 years of age, picked from the then"Lancashire Schoolboys" football team, to train at Everton(I'm Catholic), which mattered at the time.I was at a top Grammar school as a result of the 11 plus selection process.My father and the school who were both staunch Potestants, insisted that I should play Rugby Union for the school, as I had been selected for the English Development Squad.I rejected that and as a consequence, they terminated my contact with football.I refused to play Rugby out of protest,left school before Uni and started playing semi- pro football.If I could go back now,I would do the same thing again, because no other f*cker should control your life.
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #68: Oct 17, 2009 12:52:15 am
      On topic though - my first ever date. To the local cinema. :lmao:

She was nothing special, just the fact it was my first real experience with a girl/relationship. I'll never forget how I felt walking home that day. I felt on top of the world. I probably had a smile the size of I don't know what all the way back. Probably looked a right weirdo to passing drivers!

Another thing that keeps popping up in my head when in this thread is a holiday I went on many years ago - went with my brother/parents, my aunty/uncle and my 3 cousins. One of my cousins I've always been real close with, he's in the year above and I had the time of my life on that holiday. Even if I probably spent most of it just pissing around in the pool etc, it was mint.

I'd defo go back to the first time I took a girl to the pics! She picked the film though, which I was happy to go along with. It was a brilliant date. She was lovely. And I liked her and she liked me.

She wasn't happy that we kissed when the film ended though. I think that's what ruined it. See, she picked Boyz In The Hood. Obviously not the type of film a nice posh girl was planning on watching. But it's a good film!!!?!! And I hadn't seen it before. Do'h!!! I do actually regret getting into the film too much. She was nice her.

In the big Tessies yard in front of mine, playing shooties from the little entrance with that little ledge it was boss to climb up on and sit with your legs hanging over, to the other doors that were slanted away slightly down the youth club end. With a flyaway. It must have been (or it seemed at least) 50 yards, and the flyaway would come back to you on windy days! Scored some proper boss Alonso's in that yard!

And the Tessies Spion Kop.

Yes!! Brilliant stuff wasn't it! That was actually, at that time, the juniour girls yard!!! ARGGGHHH!!!!

And the Tessies Spion Kop!! We'll have to try find pics of that Gow and show the reds on here what we mean.

Quick Reply