Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 28th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P5 W1 D3 L1

Positive note. How much better it all looks when our Strongest XI is available.

Read 13359 times
      TheKopite*****
      • Forum Ian St John

• 433 posts |
      Re: Positive note. How much better it all looks when our Strongest XI is available.
      Reply #69: Aug 30, 2010 11:52:31 am
      After watching Poulsen Yesterday, I'd Definitely keep Lucas.

I agree, Poulsen looked very twitchy, it was his first PL game for us to be fair at Anfield.
      RedLFCBlood
      Re: Positive note. How much better it all looks when our Strongest XI is available.
      Reply #70: Aug 30, 2010 11:53:17 am
      I agree, Poulsen looked very twitchy.

That was just his Tourettes. ;D
      Pepe Reina
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,480 posts | 14 
      Reply #71: Aug 30, 2010 11:56:54 am
      Topic Title Changed to fit in with this seasons squad

Reina

Johnson             Carra             Agger             Aurelio

Lucas            Meirles

Maxi                           Gerrard                        Cole

Torres

Jones
      Konchesky
      Skrtel
      Poulsen
      Kuyt
      Pacheco
      N'Gog

That'd be my team except maybe I'd put Jovanovic instead of Maxi. I'm a big fan of Maxi but I've liked what I've seen of Milan for the first couple of games.

I also think playing Lucas over Poulsen is vital. Poulsen's only played around 2/3 games but in all of them he's been terrible. Not matter how bad Lucas is (although I rate him) at least his sideways and backwards passing actually reaches a player in red, yesterday against WBA nearly everyone of one of Poulsen's passes we're terrible and risky, I think I only counted one forward pass. He also didn't tackle at all, at least Lucas actually tries to win the ball back.

racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,661 posts | 3894 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #72: Aug 30, 2010 11:58:03 am
      Id rather form our best eleven from a 4-1-2-3

Reina

Johnson     Skrtel     Agger     Aurelio

Raul

Stevie         Cole

Maxi                            Dani/Kuyt
                          Nando

TheKopite*****
      • Forum Ian St John

• 433 posts |
      Reply #73: Aug 30, 2010 12:02:51 pm
      Id rather form our best eleven from a 4-1-2-3

Reina

Johnson     Skrtel     Agger     Aurelio

Raul

Stevie         Cole

Maxi                            Dani/Kuyt
                          Nando

I really like the look of that formation! Reckon that would be killer!
      Misty
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,586 posts | 62 
      • At the end of the storm- Is a golden sky....
      Reply #74: Aug 30, 2010 12:05:27 pm
      I wonder what the chances are of actually seeing it?
      KopKarl
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 587 posts |
      Reply #75: Aug 30, 2010 12:08:50 pm
      Slim to none I guess
      KopKarl
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 587 posts |
      Reply #76: Aug 30, 2010 12:12:23 pm
      I'm not a fan of Lucas but we need to keep hold of him for the sake of the squads depth.

I just hope we can get a striker in before tomorrow. Hate to think what the season holds for us if Nando gets injuries like last season.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #77: Aug 30, 2010 12:12:38 pm
      Another positive to take is if we do end up going into administration in October, we are now only minus 4 points. ;D
      KopKarl
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 587 posts |
      Reply #78: Aug 30, 2010 12:14:37 pm
      Only 5 points behind the blue noses
      Another positive to take is if we do end up going into administration in October, we are now only minus 4 points. ;D
      TKIDLLTK
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,362 posts | 158 
      Reply #79: Aug 30, 2010 12:14:41 pm
      I also think playing Lucas over Poulsen is vital. Poulsen's only played around 2/3 games but in all of them he's been terrible. Not matter how bad Lucas is (although I rate him) at least his sideways and backwards passing actually reaches a player in red, yesterday against WBA nearly everyone of one of Poulsen's passes we're terrible and risky, I think I only counted one forward pass. He also didn't tackle at all, at least Lucas actually tries to win the ball back.

Guardian chalkboards show a slightly different story.

Lucas - 37 successful passes, 10 unsuccessful.  Tackles, won 4 lost 7.
      Poulsen - 56 successful, 5 unsuccessful. Tackles, won 3 lost 2.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,661 posts | 3894 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #80: Aug 30, 2010 12:22:08 pm
      We have seen it already against Rabotnicki.
      Lucas sat deep.
      Stevie and Cole overlapped. One or the other would drop back when needed.
      It worked like a flexible 4-2-3-1
      TKIDLLTK

• 8,362 posts | 158 
      Reply #81: Aug 30, 2010 12:25:59 pm
      We have seen it already against Rabotnicki.
      Lucas sat deep.
      Stevie and Cole overlapped. One or the other would drop back when needed.
      It worked like a flexible 4-2-3-1

And in the first-half against Arsenal we had a variant of it, with Masch back, Jovanovic on the left, Kuyt right and Cole behind the striker and Stevie roving around in the middle.

Not sure whether Meireles is defensive enough to play that DM role though, you can't afford to give any team space in front of the back four - look at Dorans yesterday.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,661 posts | 3894 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #82: Aug 30, 2010 12:30:33 pm
      And in the first-half against Arsenal we had a variant of it, with Masch back, Jovanovic on the left, Kuyt right and Cole behind the striker and Stevie roving around in the middle.

Not sure whether Meireles is defensive enough to play that DM role though, you can't afford to give any team space in front of the back four - look at Dorans yesterday.

It's not a formation we could use every week as we would be exposed in the middle.
      It would be a great formation at home against teams who show up for the draw.
      TKIDLLTK

• 8,362 posts | 158 
      Reply #83: Aug 30, 2010 12:36:32 pm
      It's not a formation we could use every week as we would be exposed in the middle.
      It would be a great formation at home against teams who show up for the draw.

I know what you mean, I was going to say the same thing, but I just kept getting images of Dorans getting too much time and room in the second half yesterday.  Maybe Meireles would be able to hold that position, I don't know.  I always thought Masch was a luxury against park-the-bus sides when Alonso was there, responsible for a number of draws when we should have had another attacking player on.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #84: Aug 30, 2010 12:40:40 pm
      I always thought Masch was a luxury against park-the-bus sides when Alonso was there, responsible for a number of draws when we should have had another attacking player on.

I agree mate to be honest and that's why I said I would not be too disheartened in seeing Lucas leaving as long as a player like Banega or Martinez (In about the same price bracket as Lucas), came in as they offer more than just a defensive role, more so Banega who can sit and hold but has good vision and a good range of passing, very much like Alonso in that sense.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,661 posts | 3894 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #85: Aug 30, 2010 12:45:38 pm
      I agree mate to be honest and that's why I said I would not be too disheartened in seeing Lucas leaving as long as a player like Banega or Martinez (In about the same price bracket as Lucas), came in as they offer more than just a defensive role, more so Banega who can sit and hold but has good vision and a good range of passing, very much like Alonso in that sense.

Banega and Martinez would have been fantastic business. Have they moved clubs?

Can't see Roy letting Lucas go this late in the window, but would give my left bollock for Banega or Martinez to come in as a replacement. Not that I'll have to worry about that much
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #86: Aug 30, 2010 12:48:33 pm
      Banega and Martinez would have been fantastic business. Have they moved clubs?

No mate Banega is still at Valencia and Martinez is still at Athletic Bilbao.
      kenny
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,314 posts | 76 
      Reply #87: Aug 30, 2010 12:50:13 pm
      i Have a feeling we'll hear something surprising today or tomorrow, and i think it could involve Lucas going.

Roy has done well to keep most of his transfer business quiet so far.

I expect a striker today or tomorrow, don't know who but.
      Benito
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,940 posts | 285 
      Reply #88: Aug 30, 2010 12:55:46 pm
      Attacking as hell but if u cant score u cant win! (Mines very similar to Racer's)

Maybe send stevie back to sit alongside Raul if under the cosh!

My line up would be:

Pepe

Johnson        Carra          Skrtel/Agger        Konchesky/Aurelio

Meireles

Maxi/Kuyt                                    Jova/Pacheco
                        Stevie            Cole
                                  Nando

Send the goal difference in the + anyway!
      Misty
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,586 posts | 62 
      • At the end of the storm- Is a golden sky....
      Reply #89: Aug 30, 2010 12:58:23 pm
      ^^^
      I love it!

Let the defenders defend- we dont need the midfielders doing it aswell.
      On a more realistic note- i very much doubt Roy would agree with us!
      TKIDLLTK

• 8,362 posts | 158 
      Reply #90: Aug 30, 2010 01:01:05 pm
      ^^^
      I love it!

Let the defenders defend- we dont need the midfielders doing it aswell.
      On a more realistic note- I very much doubt Roy would agree with us!

I am sure Kevin Keegan would though ;)
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,975 posts | 5034 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #91: Aug 30, 2010 01:34:15 pm
      I have to disagree with Lucas going, the whole point is to strenghten the squad and have competition for places, it keeps the players keen and working harder in training and of course if a injury happened a player can step in without too much disruption, we have seen with the Konchesky signing that there is cover at LB, we have seen how versatile Martin Kelly is so we have cover at RB, in the middle we plenty to choose from with, Gerrard, Lucas, Kuyt, maxi, Jova, Poulsen, Raul, Cole, Shelvey, Pacheco, its clear we are short upfront but if rumours are to be believed Carlton Cole could wearing red by 5pm tomorrow, with Ngog improving and Nando getting fitter things are starting to look better already, the dead wood has been shipped out the new blood is either here already or imminent, i'm not going to pick the bones of what is or what should be our best starting 11, thats down to Roy and how he feels the best 11 on the day should be, We have 3 tough games coming up B'ham(a), Scum(a), Makems(h), a nice 6pts or more from them games would be nice but its vital we dont get too far behind our rivals, Spurs and shitty have already dropped points they would have expected to get, we need to take advantage asap and be sure we are in the running come March /April, Roy has the knowledge and the experience and with time will gel us into a proper force of that i am confident of, its not how you start a season its how and where you finish.

Quick Reply