Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Bmouth [Premier League] Sat 21st Sep @ 3:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 20th of September and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W17 D7 L5

Blackburn v Liverpool: Post match gabbing

Read 27951 times
      hardcoresoldier
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,177 posts | 1299 
      • The Liverpool Way is The Only Way
      Re: Blackburn v Liverpool: Post match gabbing
      Reply #184: Dec 06, 2009 12:44:18 pm
      Oh well, here it goes then lads, my assessment of yesterdays game, which I watched via internet stream. There were a few positives to take out of the game. The first positive was another clean sheet, will go a long way to restoring confidence. Really hope Agger can string a good run of games together, we look a different outfit altogether when he's at the back, the next Alan Hansen? Steven Gerrard slowly getting back to his best, thought he was awesome in the second half, played some nice passes and made some good runs, just a shame that the players around him are too slow to react. Glen Johnson was phenomenal, our most potent attacking threat, man of the match for me, closely followed by Masch. Pepe Reina, player of the season so far, he's keeping us in this title race, yes that's right, we're still in it. The last positive, we closed the gap, proof again with the City result, that everyone is going to get beat quite a lot this season.

Now for the negatives, starting with the left back position and Emilio Insua. The lad is getting a f**king liability now. Too often he is getting found out of position and cruelly exposed. His attacking play at the start of the season was his strong point, he now resembles Ryan Babel when in possession in the opposing half. Don't know what the score is with Aurelio's fitness levels, but we need his calming influence back. Blackburn recognised this and the majority of their attacks were down the right flank.

Lucas Leiva, how long are people gonna keep defending the lad. He spent the majority of the game sitting 'behind' Mascherano, yes that's right, behind Mascherano!!! Carra and Agger were getting pissed off with him too, every time they passed the ball forward to him, he f**king passed it straight back to them! To be fair to the lad, on a couple of occasions he did pass it 'sideways' to Masch, Benayoun and Kuyt. Not f**king good enough. And it's not like he's being restricted by our formation or style of play, our formation is the same as last season, barring a couple of games. With Masch in the middle, this affords Lucas the opportunity to express himself, but he doesn't. And his pathetic attempts at 'tackling' are only bettered by the worst tackling midfielder in the history of the EPL, Paul 'Ginger Tosser' Scholes. Have to agree with Corballyred, Lucas is 'stifling' this side.

What's going on with Aquilani I don't know, but I'd rather have seen him come on for twenty minutes in a competition we can still win, than saved for a f**king meaningless Champions League game against Fiorentina. We needed creativity and what did we do? We brought on El Zhar instead! Do we want to win this f**king league or what? If Aquilani is fit enough to start against Fiorentina, then why the f**k couldn't he play for twenty minutes or so against Blackburn, when we needed a player in the middle of the park who is naturally 'forward thinking'?

Dirk Kuyt? Is he a striker or a winger? I don't think he knows himself anymore. Don't know what's happening this season but we can't afford to carry him. Yes, his work rate is second to none, but we need a lot more than that from him. Bought as a striker, converted to a winger. His 'instinct' is to shoot, but his job description is to pass or cross. A confused man he is. Has had the first touch of a Rhinoceros wearing oversized Wellington boots this season. When we're counter-attacking we need players who'll take the ball on the move and run with it, not stop and pass it backwards or sideways. When the move should be flowing, Kuyt has too often turned off the tap so to speak. His shooting has also been dire this season, too often he just takes the 'get it on target' option than trying to place the shot.

Albert Riera, he's going backwards with each game he plays. Was f**king anonymous yesterday, we can't afford to have any player going missing during the game. The only surprise was that Rafa left it so late in the game to bring him off. It's like watching slow motion replays when he gets the ball, like a rabbit in the headlights. Kuyt and Riera's play this season more than highlights the fact we need an out and out winger to become a threat again. Riera was good when he first came, but he hasn't improved. Injuries haven't helped him, but Gerrard and Torres etc. bounce back time and time again.

David Ngog is still too raw, but I have sympathy for him and believe he should be given time. Was unlucky that Johnson's cross clipped Nelsen, otherwise he would have definitely scored. Other than that though he offered nothing. He just ran at defenders, stopped right in front of them and by the time he'd thought of his next move he'd been tackled and Blackburn were off on the counter again.

Positives and negatives in my post, make of them what you like. I am as passionate as the next Liverpool supporter, as much as I will praise the positives from a performance, I will not brush the frailties under the carpet. These are issues that Rafa will no doubt address in due course, of that I have no doubt. He will always have my full support.

And to finish off, Alberto Aquilani (again) - a few people have stated that maybe Rafa didn't pick him for the Everton game due to the high intensity and that yesterday he would have put him on had we been 2-0 up and cruising. The fact is that we were 0-0 with Blackburn away and with the exception of Gerrard and Johnson, offering nothing offensively. We needed that type of player that could unlock a stubborn defence, the type of player that could make something out of nothing, we sent Aquil........ no sorry, Nabil El Zhar on!!! There isn't going to be a right time to bring him on, whether we play Stoke or Chelsea, everyone is aware of his injury record, and make no mistake, Aquilani will be a 'target man'. Strong hard tackles are a part of the game in the Premier League and also the Champions League, no matter who you play.
      PJMAN
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 852 posts |
      • we ride
      Reply #185: Dec 06, 2009 12:56:00 pm
      If we lose a game I can live with that. Witnessed many glorious years and will always be grateful. One thing I cannot stand to see is a player from a losing team at the final whistle laughing with the opponents. Not acceptable for any reason. You are in the spotlight and I doubt if any of the fans are too happy. Goggy take note. I am watching you...
      StevieG123
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,716 posts | 65 
      Reply #186: Dec 06, 2009 01:01:56 pm
      I find Benayoun and Riera work best when they come on later in the game and make an impact because they are two players that can really liven up the game.
      macca8

• 5,258 posts | 83 
      • If you can't love us, then fear us!
      Reply #187: Dec 06, 2009 01:06:11 pm
      I don't see the reason to put Aquilani in this game (and I'm talking about this game only!). If my memory served me right, against Rovers is a game where we'll get more injuries compared to other games. Remember Carra's and Cisse's broken legs? So I don't see gambling Aquilani's fitness on a game like Rovers.

I'm quite disappointed by the way the lads were playing. Like I said before, we could only see urgency during the final 15 minutes of the game and that's very typical of Liverpool. If you really want to see how Liverpool play then you have to wait until the 80th minute. It's not that I'm frustrated with the team but by the way they played it out.

Finally our defensive line has discovered their tempo and back to their best performance but our front seems to be fading. They're lacking in creativity and a bit lost in the efficiency in scoring. Yesterday's game I could see that our front line didn't have the physical strength to overcome Rovers defenders. They often lost control on the ball when being pressured by opponents. Seldom we could see we launch a serious attack while most of our attacks being repelled by their staunch defensive line.

Clearly my MOTM was Pepe Reina. While Masch, Johnson, Gerrard and Carra being solid and performed quite well, I was disappointed on how Reira and Kuyt played.
      hardcoresoldier
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,177 posts | 1299 
      • The Liverpool Way is The Only Way
      Reply #188: Dec 06, 2009 01:34:22 pm
      I don't see the reason to put Aquilani in this game (and I'm talking about this game only!). If my memory served me right, against Rovers is a game where we'll get more injuries compared to other games. Remember Carra's and Cisse's broken legs? So I don't see gambling Aquilani's fitness on a game like Rovers.

I'm quite disappointed by the way the lads were playing. Like I said before, we could only see urgency during the final 15 minutes of the game and that's very typical of Liverpool. If you really want to see how Liverpool play then you have to wait until the 80th minute. It's not that I'm frustrated with the team but by the way they played it out.

Finally our defensive line has discovered their tempo and back to their best performance but our front seems to be fading. They're lacking in creativity and a bit lost in the efficiency in scoring. Yesterday's game I could see that our front line didn't have the physical strength to overcome Rovers defenders. They often lost control on the ball when being pressured by opponents. Seldom we could see we launch a serious attack while most of our attacks being repelled by their staunch defensive line.

Clearly my MOTM was Pepe Reina. While Masch, Johnson, Gerrard and Carra being solid and performed quite well, I was disappointed on how Reira and Kuyt played.

How about this reason mate, we were 0-0 at Ewood Park and the game was there for the taking. What more of a reason would you want.
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #189: Dec 06, 2009 01:39:34 pm
      I think our lack of width is seriously stifling our creativity as well. Kuyt is not a wide man and is not providing us the threat we need in this position. Neither is Benyoun to be honest, he doesn't have the pace to go on the outside of the defender and comes inside the whole time this is why he does his best work in a central position.

Neither Riera or Babel have proven to can do a job for us. That is why I think teams like Blackburn are finding it easier to play against us. I think we need 2 wide men a right and left midfielder, players like Pablo and Navas.

I also agree with a lot of the comments about Insua he is a real liability and looks clue less when he has the ball in the opposition half.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,889 posts | 3004 
      Reply #190: Dec 06, 2009 02:26:49 pm
      Well we've closed the gap between us and Chelsea by a point then.

That's not too bad eh :D
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,645 posts | 1029 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press and F**k
      Reply #191: Dec 06, 2009 02:34:06 pm
      To many average players Insua, Lucas, Reira Kuyt that nealy half a team. After 5 seasons is this good enough
      StevieG123

• 9,716 posts | 65 
      Reply #192: Dec 06, 2009 02:35:48 pm
      But we've dropped a place in the table and are further from the mancs and snails.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,072 posts | 3983 
      Reply #193: Dec 06, 2009 02:36:43 pm
      Riera was hailed as the answer to our width problem but he failed to deliver and we are still short in that department.
      The manager will be aware of the shortage but all he can do is a repair job in the face of the constraints he is subject to.
      Given the funds he would no doubt resolve the problem but for now it goes on the "areas for improvement"list.
      I think our lack of width is seriously stifling our creativity as well. Kuyt is not a wide man and is not providing us the threat we need in this position. Neither is Benyoun to be honest, he doesn't have the pace to go on the outside of the defender and comes inside the whole time this is why he does his best work in a central position.

Neither Riera or Babel have proven to can do a job for us. That is why I think teams like Blackburn are finding it easier to play against us. I think we need 2 wide men a right and left midfielder, players like Pablo and Navas.

I also agree with a lot of the comments about Insua he is a real liability and looks clue less when he has the ball in the opposition half.
      CurlyRed
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 799 posts |
      Reply #194: Dec 06, 2009 02:37:34 pm
      To many average players Insua, Lucas, Reira Kuyt that nealy half a team. After 5 seasons is this good enough

We were singing their praises last season...memories short.  They're havin a bad season so ar - it happens.  Never been a fan of Lucas but he was never a replacement for our star midfielder - roll on Wednesday so we can see him pay!
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 41,084 posts | 8980 
      Reply #195: Dec 06, 2009 03:12:57 pm
      Tried hard to enjoy that game, but had been hit in the head by a ball outside the pub by the ground and my glasses bent and I couldn't see right all game because of it. Done my f***in head in. I am now wearing my other glasses and can see right again. f***in dickheads bringing a rock hard casey to the game to hurt people!

Were you in the car park then of that boozer then?
      Gow
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,531 posts | 282 
      Reply #196: Dec 06, 2009 06:36:21 pm
      Fernchurch or Fernwood or something like that. My head still doesn't feel right now you know?
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 41,084 posts | 8980 
      Reply #197: Dec 06, 2009 06:41:54 pm
      Fernchurch or Fernwood or something like that. My head still doesn't feel right now you know?

Yeah I know it, need to keep your wits about you!
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,806 posts | 7056 
      Reply #198: Dec 06, 2009 07:00:23 pm
      Been away in the land of no signal all weekend (that's right - Yorkshire) so haven't seen any of the game or even the lowlights.  Unlike some individuals who don't see any of the game and still feel free to jump straight in with their own viewpoint I will wait until I've watched the game.

Obviously disappointed with the result, from what I've heard it seems we were the better side.

All I can hope is that when we start fielding our two most expensive ever players then we go from being unbeaten to a winning run.

RedDrog
      • Forum John Toshack

• 264 posts |
      Reply #199: Dec 06, 2009 07:30:54 pm
      We were poor yesterday especially first half.. Team certainly playing with a lack of confidence even after our derby day win... Until we get Torres and Aquilani into the side I cant see anything changing.... The only positive from yesterday was the clean sheet....
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 41,084 posts | 8980 
      Reply #200: Dec 06, 2009 07:39:37 pm
      We were poor yesterday especially first half.. Team certainly playing with a lack of confidence even after our derby day win... Until we get Torres and Aquilani into the side I cant see anything changing.... The only positive from yesterday was the clean sheet....

Can we stop caling him Aquilani, it's as bad as Keano!!
      brilad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,967 posts | 99 
      Reply #201: Dec 06, 2009 07:43:56 pm
      Didnt see the game but from what i can gather it wasn't great,but hey 3 clean sheets on the bounce Gerrard getting fitter from posts on here johnson very good again,ma sch getting back to last seasons form and riera been man of the match  ::) ::)
      arvindram
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 616 posts | 11 
      Reply #202: Dec 06, 2009 07:48:11 pm
      I know this lloks bad but hey we're 3pts off 4th, 10pts off 2nd and 12pts off 1st place. We can only get better from now on because the players are coming back. The only concern is that if injury hits back again we'll be in trouble!
      RedDrog
      • Forum John Toshack

• 264 posts |
      Reply #203: Dec 06, 2009 07:53:13 pm
      Also 10 points off 17th.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 41,084 posts | 8980 
      Reply #204: Dec 06, 2009 07:59:46 pm

And?

Although saying that, I've never experienced a relegation battle supporting Liverpool, that would be a new one for us!
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #205: Dec 06, 2009 08:21:25 pm

Yeah, and 3 points of 4th. Your point? We are closer to the top four than the bottom, so i dunno why you had to say that.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #206: Dec 06, 2009 09:33:25 pm
      And?

Although saying that, I've never experienced a relegation battle supporting Liverpool, that would be a new one for us!

Me neither in 25/26 years, I've always had the luxury of being there or there abouts, maybe a relegation battle for once would not be so bad and get away from the predictability of fighting for titles, maybe just maybe a good old relegation fight is what we need. :D

Quick Reply