Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 30th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W15 D5 L6

Alonso - the reason Liverpool are losing

Read 13792 times
      therapy2004
      • Forum Jason McAteer

• 145 posts |
      Re: Alonso - the reason Liverpool are losing
      Reply #138: Dec 23, 2009 09:00:38 am
      Same attitude we had when beating Man U at Anfield?

Spurs 2-1
      Villa 1-3
      Fiorientina 2-0
      Chelsea 2-0
      Sunderland 1-0
      Lyon 1-2
      Blackburn 0-0
      Fiorentina 1-2
      Arsenal 1-2
      Portsmouth 2-0

It's not even Christmas.  Do we really want to use results as a rationale to prove Rafa's positve approach to tactics?  Probably best not to.  One Swallow does not make a summer, as the saying goes.  I'd be interested in somebody giving a convincing and objective case for Rafa's positive approach.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #139: Dec 23, 2009 09:45:34 am
      It's not even Christmas.  Do we really want to use results as a rationale to prove Rafa's positve approach to tactics?  Probably best not to.  One Swallow does not make a summer, as the saying goes.  I'd be interested in somebody giving a convincing and objective case for Rafa's positive approach.

Maybe just maybe its something to do with an injury crisis that has spanned 25/26 games this season and therefore Rafa's team selections and tactics are pretty much being dictated to him by the injuries/medical satff ?, just a thought.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #140: Dec 23, 2009 09:58:52 am
      Maybe just maybe its something to do with an injury crisis that has spanned 25/26 games this season and therefore Rafa's team selections and tactics are pretty much being dictated to him by the injuries/medical satff ?, just a thought.

Can't agree. His tactics stay the same 99% of the time.

And there's more than capable players in the reserves. If he wants some spark, get exciting players who can inject energy like Buchtmann or Pacheco etc.
      « Last Edit: Dec 23, 2009 10:03:53 am by crouchinho »
      therapy2004
      • Forum Jason McAteer

• 145 posts |
      Reply #141: Dec 23, 2009 11:23:00 am

Have to agree with Crouchino on this one.  I don't think it's got anything to do with it.  His tactics are constant.  He plays with two holding midfielders, regardless of the quality of opposition, doesn't seem to like flair players on the wing and goes for hard-working types.  Just to clarify, are you saying that Rafa has an attack-minded approach? I respect the right to an opinion, but I can't see an argument for saying he is attack-minded.  The balance of our team is all wrong just now, and it's difficult to watch our great club so out of sync. 
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #142: Dec 23, 2009 11:32:05 am
      Can't agree. His tactics stay the same 99% of the time.

And there's more than capable players in the reserves. If he wants some spark, get exciting players who can inject energy like Buchtmann or Pacheco etc.

Have to agree with Crouchino on this one.  I don't think it's got anything to do with it.  His tactics are constant.  He plays with two holding midfielders, regardless of the quality of opposition, doesn't seem to like flair players on the wing and goes for hard-working types.  Just to clarify, are you saying that Rafa has an attack-minded approach? I respect the right to an opinion, but I can't see an argument for saying he is attack-minded.  The balance of our team is all wrong just now, and it's difficult to watch our great club so out of sync.  

Well its fair to say he bought Aquilani to play Higher up the pitch than Alonso, He brought in Glen Johnson as an attacking full back, so therefor its fair to suggest given an injury free squad to choose from an attack minded approach was firmly on Rafa's mind, so as I said it would be fair to assume injuries are dictating his selctions/tactics.

As for blooding Youth this season I think Rafa was fairly intent on doing so if pre-season was anything to go by, however due to the injuries that we have had maybe Rafa thought it was a gamble too far to include inexperienced youth in a team that was already weakened by injuries to key players ?

Just a thought, but there is logic in it.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #143: Dec 24, 2009 07:04:48 am
      As for blooding Youth this season I think Rafa was fairly intent on doing so if pre-season was anything to go by, however due to the injuries that we have had maybe Rafa thought it was a gamble too far to include inexperienced youth in a team that was already weakened by injuries to key players ?

Just a thought, but there is logic in it.

Played a few youngsters last season, too.

If he was intent on playing youth he wouldn't send Nemeth out on loan. And i do not believe one bit it helped to get Sotis as he was a target later on.

If he was intent on playing youth he would play Darby/Kelly instead of shifting Carra to right back, he would use Pacheco when Gerrard is injured (and he's had enough chance to use him as Gerrard has been out here and there often).

The only youth he has persisted with is Insua and Ngog when players like Guthrie, Nemeth, Pacheco, Darby, Warnock and Gonzalez could of been given more time/given any time to make a spot theirs.

Guthrie is a good player, and could of been better if given a shot. Nemeth is out on loan when we have needed someone who can stick the ball in the net and he can do so, Pacheco is an obvious one who is busting to be given a shot, Darby was used for a little period of 2 or 3 games and then sent back to the Reserves when he could of played instead of Carra at right back, Warnock was here at a time where the left back spot was up for grabs and was he doing worse than Insua? No way. Finally, Gonzalez was finally allowed to play for us and after a 50/50 season he was sent off when we were dying for natural width.

Rafa has shown he is not intent on giving youth a fair shot at spots in the side when they could of staked a claim.
      niksluvslfc
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,234 posts | 23 
      Reply #144: Dec 24, 2009 08:29:45 am
      Stupid thread I personally feel.

You don't lose games as a result of the absence of one player.

That's ludicrous.

We're losing games for a number of reasons - which have nothing to do with Xabi.

I know . I mean did we really miss Xabi when we had that 6 game run this season ( good times ;D ) ! And only NOW his absence is being felt . Like Ross said there are man other reason as to why we have such bad form !
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #145: Dec 24, 2009 08:37:40 am
      I blame Tiger Woods.
      artc
      • Forum Dean Saunders

• 62 posts |
      Reply #146: Dec 24, 2009 11:21:04 am
      Amazing how the thread starts with a sensible question and finishes up with the air heads bringing in the fact that we are better than Everton, why not include Tranmere, we know we are far superior to them ,but no one mentioned them initially, so why bring them into the discussion ?.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #147: Dec 24, 2009 12:15:51 pm
      Played a few youngsters last season, too.

If he was intent on playing youth he wouldn't send Nemeth out on loan. And i do not believe one bit it helped to get Sotis as he was a target later on.

If he was intent on playing youth he would play Darby/Kelly instead of shifting Carra to right back, he would use Pacheco when Gerrard is injured (and he's had enough chance to use him as Gerrard has been out here and there often).

To be fair mate Rafa only bought Sotis because, Carra, Agger & Skrtel were injury doubts for the seasons openers through injuries sustained during pre-season.

I firmly believe the way we were setting up in pre-season Kelly was going to get his chance as 4th choice centre back, just unlucky for the lad our three first choice central defenders were facing injury lay offs and If I remember rightly Kelly was playing in the first team and was injured playing in the first team.

Like I said mate due to the form we had been in maybe Rafa thought it was a gamble too far to include inexperienced youth, maybe if we had been setting the pace in the premiership, destroying every one in our path then maybe there would have been one or two surprise inclusions.

However lets be realistic about the situation, we've started this campaign as what can only be described as utterly sh*te, the media vultures/selection of fans are circling Rafa's corpse just to pick it to pieces, now imagine he'd thrown Pacheco on place in Gerrard, Darby in at right back, (which he did at Fiorentina, look what happened there with his inexperience), then imagine how much more intense the media campaign against Rafa would be had we lost them games, Rafa's in a catch 22 situation with the media and fans alike, he's damned if he does and damned if he doesn't to an extent.
      jindaldhruv
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,805 posts | 24 
      • Football is my religion. Steven Gerrard is my God.
      Reply #148: Dec 24, 2009 01:50:48 pm
      I blame his mistresses. :D
      frank miller
      • Forum Youth Player

• 11 posts |
      Reply #149: Dec 24, 2009 03:35:07 pm
      To be fair I think our defending has been shambolic, given we've played 16 different defensive combinations in 25/26 games its fair to say we have not had a settled consistent back four out.

Our midfield has lacked creativity for all the possession we have had in games we have not been productive enough with the ball.

You can also say we have not been clinical enough, because we have had clear cut chances that could have put us on the front foot in games.

To be fair and honest about the situation you could say all three are having a negative impact on our season and when you combine injuries, players making individual errors and dodgy refereeing decisions, no wonder were doing sh*t.
      100% agreement with you mate, our midfield have not shown top class talent, that has always been our strenght....
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,298 posts | 765 
      Reply #150: Dec 24, 2009 05:22:48 pm
      Lack of any real consistency seems to be a major problem, apart from the obvious as quoted shambolic defence. I would also like to point out the fact it is over three months since we put together more than one win in the EPL ( ie 2or more wins on the trot ). Showing the real lack of consistency in the present side.

Quick Reply