Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 2nd of May and on this date LFC's match record is P23 W7 D5 L11

What would you do?

Read 1593 times
      Pepe Reina
      • Forum Legend - Benitez
      • Started Topic

• 1,480 posts | 14 
      What would you do?
      Jan 17, 2010 04:06:07 pm
      Just imagine for a moment you were Hicks/Gillett (however awful that may be) and Man City's rich arab owner came up to you and gave you a proposition, and told you that if you give Man City both Gerrard and Torres then they would clear the debt, would you take it?

It'd be a hard decision, but I'd have to take it I reckon.

What would you do in this situation?
      jckopking
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 539 posts | 10 
      Re: What would you do?
      Reply #1: Jan 17, 2010 04:22:24 pm
      Interesting question. Based on the likelihood of Gerrard leaving after his current contract and the fact that Torres is always going to be injury prone, I would chew the arab's arm off.
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #2: Jan 17, 2010 04:24:51 pm
      So we would get rid of our two best players to pay a debt they put on the club and what would do then take further debt on the club to build the stadium. The club is fu**ed till they leave it.
      idwLFC89
      • Banned

• 252 posts | 11 
      Reply #3: Jan 17, 2010 04:33:14 pm
      If I were H&G? I'd do it without thinking.

Remember, these people are soulless, and I don't think they'd mind frustrating fans even more.
      el batez
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,795 posts | 189 
      • everyones friend.enemies none.
      Reply #4: Jan 17, 2010 04:43:26 pm
      Don't even go there FFS.
      gareth g
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 15,469 posts | 366 
      Reply #5: Jan 17, 2010 04:45:37 pm
      Exactly.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,655 posts | 6949 
      Reply #6: Jan 17, 2010 04:53:55 pm
      Just imagine for a moment you were Hicks/Gillett (however awful that may be) and Man City's rich arab owner came up to you and gave you a proposition, and told you that if you give Man City both Gerrard and Torres then they would clear the debt, would you take it?

The debt is not Liverpool Football Club's.

It is Hicks and Gillett's debt because instead of paying Moores with their own money they decided it would be a cracking idea to actually let the club buy the club for themselves.

We were in about £60M of debt that was easily manageable when Moores was in charge.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,289 posts | 2841 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #7: Jan 17, 2010 04:55:28 pm

Your a sick man!  ;)
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #8: Jan 17, 2010 05:02:03 pm

It is Hicks and Gillett's debt because instead of paying Moores with their own money they decided it would be a cracking idea to actually let the club buy the club for themselves.

We were in about £60M of debt that was easily manageable when Moores was in charge.

JD, unfortunately not enough people understand what those pr**ks did and are still doing re the debts and some don't understand the true implications to the Club if they continue.
      « Last Edit: Jan 17, 2010 05:20:19 pm by Reslivo »
      StevieG123
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,716 posts | 65 
      Reply #9: Jan 17, 2010 05:10:44 pm
      They give us 250 mill to cover the debts, we lose our two best players who are realistically worth about what, 120 mill together? I'd do it.
      Pepe Reina
      • Forum Legend - Benitez
      • Started Topic

• 1,480 posts | 14 
      Reply #10: Jan 17, 2010 05:15:45 pm

My bad then JD. But if the Yanks' debt was payed off by the Citeh owners for Gerrard and Torres then we would have more chance of getting taking over because it'd only be 300m to buy us, wheares they're asking for the 300m plus there 400m debt.

Couldn't Moores have sold us to some other arab owner for 7m less before he sold us, or am I just making that up?

Maybe... but I'm not trying to upset people, just intrigued to see what people would do.
      jckopking
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 539 posts | 10 
      Reply #11: Jan 17, 2010 05:33:10 pm
      What Pepe is saying is quite simply true.

At this moment in time, H&G cannot sell because of our debt. It is just too much. To secure a takeover, we have to reduce our debt before anyone becomes interested.
      Don't forget, football club ownership is a business and any potential businessmen want to see a return as quickly as possible and H&G's LFC can't do that right now and until those books are balanced in some way, things won't improve.
      The sale of Torres and Gerrard is a serious option before the club can move forward.

On top of all that, is a new stadium that important at this moment in time? I would rather wait for as long as we need to rather than lumber ourselves up even more.
      StevieG123
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,716 posts | 65 
      Reply #12: Jan 17, 2010 05:52:24 pm
      What would Obama do?
      gareth g
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 15,469 posts | 366 
      Reply #13: Jan 17, 2010 05:55:18 pm
      Call in the marines, and invade somewhere to take the heat off.
      martynash
      • Forum Titi Camara

• 41 posts |
      Reply #14: Jan 18, 2010 01:20:19 am
      my mrs would divorce me n prob kill me for this but-i,d take it
      Esoteric Mist
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 577 posts | -5 
      Reply #15: Jan 18, 2010 10:51:27 am
      All hope will be lost for this club if Gerrard and Torres are sold.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,950 posts | 5009 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #16: Jan 18, 2010 11:04:12 am
      Very disturbing thread this, So lets see then, We sell our top two assets to gain what exactly? To push us further away from the top table and suffer years of mediocrity, We have suffered long enough without domestic success apart form the odd FA cup, Is this what we really want, To become no better than the bitters or worse still finish below them season after season, F F S, Id hoped we would be above all this sort of talk, Selling our top two is like cutting your legs off then competing in a marathon, H&G Have got us into this situation, No one else, To sell to one of your rivals is one thing but to sell Gerrard and Nando to Citeh would be giving them a guaranteed top 4 finish at least most seasons, Yes, we would be clear of debt and have a few bob to spend, But what price do you put on success?  There is no guarantee we would move on or be any better off, Would Rafa still be the Gaffa? Which players do you bring in to replace the best striker in the world and one of the top 3 midfielders in the world? How much would be put into the transfer kitty? I'm not so sure its such a good idea, Maybe I'm wrong, In an ideal world we would all like to have a debt free club and have practically billions to spend, Realistically though, theres only two clubs who fall into that category and they are not guaranteed to win titles each year, All is needed is for our two greedy, useless, lying bas**rds the funds they promised, Under them we have gone backwards and will continue to fall as long as they remain, Would it really make any difference changing the manager, would the special one take us to another level? Would Hiddink bring us instant success? Would top internationals sign for a one time king of Europe to play in mediocre mid table football? only to miss out every season to sides who used to tremble at the thought of having running out at Anfield on a dark winters night needing a win, Pusrslow claims he is forever in the hunt for new investment, An announcement is imminent and we all hope for a complete take over, To still have Hicks or the other tw*t still with power in the boardroom fills me with dread and i fear for the future of our club, I would never sell to main rivals and give them advantage over us, It may look good on paper being debt free but we don't play football on paper, We play on a grassy pitch with 11 players moulded into a style of play that will suit the talents of individuals a particular manager wants in his team, And to add or drop players to account for the right balance and with a bit of luck here and there might just win a few things now and again, Simples!!
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #17: Jan 18, 2010 12:06:01 pm
      If I were Hicks or Gillett I would shoot my mother.

Cmon. As a Yankee slimeball I wouldnt even think about it.
      Torres and Stevie wouldn't touch the sides as they left.

....but Im not.

Without our star players we would have no chance.

Only a fool would sell them.

Get it? Only a ..................

OK.

Quick Reply