Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 29th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P8 W3 D3 L2

How have we fared in the transfer market this Summer 2010

Read 12810 times
      thephotoman
      • Forum Markus Babbel

• 74 posts |
      Re: How have we fared in the transfer market this Summer 2010
      Reply #46: Aug 31, 2010 01:03:58 pm
      And the pruning of the wages bill shows they are trying to get the clubs costs down, why exactly would they be doing that if they are selling up. To much evidence around they are not selling at all.

Think you (and many others) could be right. It's sh*te really but that's life when the yanks are ruling the world...
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,141 posts | 3383 
      Reply #47: Aug 31, 2010 01:04:40 pm
      Sorry Billy but I just can't see the logic in what your saying.

If the objective is to "take us back into the top four" then signing "lesser quality" players can't be the way to go. I do agree however that in Poulsen and Konchesky he has signed the same type of player he would have at Fulham with a budget that was also limited.

These players are bought in the hope that we may ride out the storm (rather than push on) in the hope of better times and owners lie ahead.

So whilst it may well be Roy's "objective", (and I believe he'll give it his all), I honestly don't think that our board's target is a top four finish. The pruning of the wage bill and player numbers indicate that they're NOT concerned with anything football related.

I'm not saying it's logical mate but that's the way we have to go. Roy is trying to sign players who can get us into the top four, though they may not be the biggest names or most expensive players around. They probably are of a lesser quality to what we think should be a Liverpool player, but hopefully will have enough about them to do a good enough job.
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #48: Aug 31, 2010 01:08:07 pm
      Midtable players will not get us champions league football, especially if we don't get a decent striker today Hodgson has an extremely hard job to get us into the top 4 and if I and other fans were realistic we would admit it is probably unlikely this season.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #49: Aug 31, 2010 01:09:56 pm
      We've fared pretty well.

Got some more depth in quality with Cole, got Milan to add to Babel, Kuyt, Maxi and Dani. At least replaced all the players that left. Got a new left back that everybody was craving for.

Now the positivity ends. Because other than Cole, i have no reason to be happy about who we've signed. Konchesky? Poulsen? Jones? Championship sides would think 'Eh, decent enough' and we're really serious about getting into the top 4? Get a grip, Liverpool.

What a sh*te window.
      Dexter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,279 posts | 116 
      Reply #50: Aug 31, 2010 01:12:03 pm
      Forgetting Meireles there crouchie, the only player I'm really happy with. Ofcourse Cole is nice on a free too, but I don't think he'll do good for us unless he's played on the wing, which he hasn't been.
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #51: Aug 31, 2010 01:12:57 pm
      Not sh*te though for the Owners, they have probably managed to fool the large amount of Liverpool they have been active and managed to skive more money from transfers out and also manage to reduce the wage bill replacing massively.
      TKIDLLTK
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,362 posts | 158 
      Reply #52: Aug 31, 2010 01:14:41 pm
      I guess the proof of the pudding is in the eating but so far...

* I don't believe the Aquilani for Poulsen "deal", with Juve, was good business.

Selling Aqualani for £13 million plus Poulsen is a good deal, considering Rafa didn't want to play him and Roy doesn't think he is upto the Premier League either.

* I don't think that Alexander Kacaniklic and Lauri Dalla Valle for Konchescy "deal", with Fulham, can be described as good business.

I'm not sure either, but I'd like to see more details.  If we got Konchesky in exchange for two youth prospects and £4 million, we were robbed.

* I'm more than happy that Raul Meireles has arrived on the back of the money raised from Masch's sale.

Certainly agree there.
      TKIDLLTK

• 8,362 posts | 158 
      Reply #53: Aug 31, 2010 01:16:08 pm
      Not sh*te though for the Owners, they have probably managed to fool the large amount of Liverpool they have been active and managed to skive more money from transfers out and also manage to reduce the wage bill replacing massively.

I don't think any Red is fooled by their lies, they know we have spent nothing for years.  I think they just feel like there is nothing they can do and hope that we will be sold soon.
      Dexter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,279 posts | 116 
      Reply #54: Aug 31, 2010 01:20:07 pm
      Selling Aqualani for £13 million plus Poulsen is a good deal, considering Rafa didn't want to play him and Roy doesn't think he is upto the Premier League either.
      Aquilani isn't sold as of yet, they took him on a loan. How's that a good deal? We take all the risk. Either he'll have a great F***ing season for them and they'll have a steal, because he sure as hell won't come back then. Or he has a bad season and he'll come back to us with his moral and value dropped even further.
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #55: Aug 31, 2010 01:22:35 pm
      I think fans are fooled, the evidence is fairly clear the club is not for sale and with what is going on we are being set up for another refinancing package.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #56: Aug 31, 2010 01:29:45 pm
      In my opinion:

I don't believe that we're worse off overall (in terms of quality) but similarly I don't think we're better off overall.

In terms off 'strength in depth' we're no better off either - we can't be; having really only replaced like for like.

So rather than looking to our new signings we are left looking to our "youth" to prove themselves. That, in it's self, doesn't worry me (I hope they get a proper shot) but that shouldn't detract from the fact that: as expected, this window was anything but big. ...

. ... and we can't blame Roy on that.  8)
      TKIDLLTK

• 8,362 posts | 158 
      Reply #57: Aug 31, 2010 01:32:03 pm
      I think fans are fooled, the evidence is fairly clear the club is not for sale and with what is going on we are being set up for another refinancing package.

*sigh* Yep, I said that when they agreed to it in April - no intention is selling, just a stalling tactic.  Couldn't believe RBS were so dumb as to buy their crap.  Not sure how they can possibly refinance now though, surely RBS have learned from their mistakes? No-one will give money to these bankrupt leeches.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #58: Aug 31, 2010 01:34:25 pm
      We've fared pretty well.

Got some more depth in quality with Cole, got Milan to add to Babel, Kuyt, Maxi and Dani. At least replaced all the players that left. Got a new left back that everybody was craving for.

Now the positivity ends. Because other than Cole, i have no reason to be happy about who we've signed. Konchesky? Poulsen? Jones? Championship sides would think 'Eh, decent enough' and we're really serious about getting into the top 4? Get a grip, Liverpool.

What a sh*te window.

Jesus Crouchy, you changed your tune in the same post  ;D
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #59: Aug 31, 2010 01:38:54 pm
      I've being saying it every window since Keane left a striker is a priority,  and why is it another F***ing window and we are left scratching around on the last day of the window.

Is it because a decent striker costs money. It is actually criminal if we don't get a striker but I think I said exactly the same this time last year.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #60: Aug 31, 2010 01:41:48 pm
      Jesus Crouchy, you changed your tune in the same post  ;D

The irony of the following post may be that i don't identify it myself, but it was sarcasm :D
      queuepolitely
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 575 posts | 27 
      Reply #61: Aug 31, 2010 01:42:46 pm
      I think a poor transfer window. Two players were already identified and Konchesky and Poulsen are indications were goign the wrong way. I am excited about Raul Meireles and Cole but still dont understand where Roy is going to play them. I think we are weaker than last year and yet again the club has been stripped by the Yanks, I made my point about Roy but perhaps given the restrictions on the man this is the best we can do and we should just face the facts, we are a big club with no money.

p.s. Roy did not sign Danny Murphy or Konchesky
      SaintLiverpudlian
      • Forum John Toshack

• 278 posts |
      • Liverpool is my religion Anfield is my church
      Reply #62: Aug 31, 2010 01:54:21 pm

I don't give a F**k about "international fans" saint (or anyone else for that matter), they can do what their conscience lets them.

I'm just pointing out the facts re: transfer policy under the tenure of Hicks and Gillett. Just out of curiosity; do you think I am wrong?

I'm saying in terms of having high shirt sales. International fans play the biggest part in that.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #63: Aug 31, 2010 01:56:45 pm
      I'm saying in terms of having high shirt sales. International fans play the biggest part in that.

...and i'm saying that with Hicks & Gillett as owners we will never actually spend money on transfers. ...the topic of this thread.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #64: Aug 31, 2010 02:07:36 pm
      ...and i'm saying that with Hicks & Gillett as owners we will never actually spend money on transfers. ...the topic of this thread.

Well, thats just stupid...  :f_tongueincheek:
      solodee
      • Started Topic

• 6,036 posts | 147 
      • Liverpool FC All The Way
      Reply #65: Aug 31, 2010 02:16:09 pm
      I think, much as some of the transfers this summer have be puzzling, we just might be able to challenge for the Top 4 spot with the crop of players we have right now in the club.

Meireles will Most likely pair with Gerrard in that central midfield role; That is a good one. Jovanovic will hold the left wing ahead of Babel; while Cole play off Torres.

Much as we need a second striker badly; I am not in support of trading off babel for Cole. Cole coming in as an addition is okay for bargain basement.

solodee
      • Started Topic

• 6,036 posts | 147 
      • Liverpool FC All The Way
      Reply #66: Aug 31, 2010 02:29:19 pm
      LATEST RUMOURS

Liverpool winger Ryan Babel is reportedly in a helicopter and on his way from Merseyside to London. Spurs could be about to spend £9 million on the Dutch winger who has been tipped for Birmingham City in the past.

Lucas Leiva will not be leaving Liverpool despite the arrival of Raul Meireles and Christian Poulsen. The Brazilian international has vowed to fight for his place.

Emiliano Insua is set to spend the year on loan in Turkey with Besiktas. Fulham’s Paul Konchesky looks set to fill the Argentine’s place at Anfield.

http://www.sport.co.uk/news/Football/42972/Deadline_Day_tittle-tattle_latest_Messi_for_Spurs_Schwarzer_update_Hleb_for_Birmingham_Pienaar_stays_Robinho_goes_Stoke_busy_Hammers_eye_several_deals.aspx?
      Dexter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,279 posts | 116 
      Reply #67: Aug 31, 2010 02:30:43 pm
      Better thread for that here solodee, which it has already been mentioned in: http://www.lfcreds.com/reds/index.php?topic=32660.0
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,260 posts | 2856 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #68: Aug 31, 2010 02:32:11 pm
      LATEST RUMOURS

Liverpool winger Ryan Babel is reportedly in a helicopter and on his way from Merseyside to London. Spurs could be about to spend £9 million on the Dutch winger who has been tipped for Birmingham City in the past.

Lucas Leiva will not be leaving Liverpool despite the arrival of Raul Meireles and Christian Poulsen. The Brazilian international has vowed to fight for his place.

Emiliano Insua is set to spend the year on loan in Turkey with Besiktas. Fulham’s Paul Konchesky looks set to fill the Argentine’s place at Anfield.

http://www.sport.co.uk/news/Football/42972/Deadline_Day_tittle-tattle_latest_Messi_for_Spurs_Schwarzer_update_Hleb_for_Birmingham_Pienaar_stays_Robinho_goes_Stoke_busy_Hammers_eye_several_deals.aspx?

Swap him for Crouch. Please.

Quick Reply