Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 1st of June and on this date LFC's match record is P6 W4 D2 L0

NESV/Fenway Sports Group: Owners of LFC

Read 2807720 times
      ORCHARD RED
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Re: NESV/Fenway Sports Group: Owners of LFC
      Reply #21919: Feb 25, 2017 09:19:49 pm

Your right about FSG only investing what we earn, that's fine if you are happy being a club like Stoke City, WHU etc they have spent over and above what they would normally spend thanks to the TV deal currently in place,
      They have to spend over and above their normal budget to sustain Premiership status, without the TV money they'd both struggle,
      Their ambition at the start of each season is league survival and perhaps a good cup run,
      Are you seriously suggesting that LFC DON'T spend over and above the norm? 

Incase you might have missed it, the goalposts have shifted in terms of finance for every club, if you pardon the pun,
      Even without the TV money a club such as ours should be at least competing for targets both in fees and wages, it's all about attracting individuals, and persuading them that signing for LFC is the right move for them, that and ambitions of the club, it's manager, the teammates you'll be working with and finally the fans,
      FSG lack ambition, their mantra is to invest as little as possible whilst making as much profit as they can, they DON'T give a F**k about our history, they DON'T give a shiney sh*te whether we win or not, they're not bothered if we achieve a CL spot or not, they can't be f***in arsed to even make a trip to actually watch "their" investment in action, yes they built a new shiney stand with 8thousand extra seats, mostly for their corporate clients who also couldn't give a flying F**k what results we produce,

They employed Jürgen Klopp because he found success on a shoestring budget with Mainz and then with BvB, and they are hoping he does the same here, but both you and I know that ain't gonna happen, not in this league,

This not the Bundesliga where you have mainly only two or three clubs to effectively compete with, so budgets and investment are not on the same level as those required when you have 4,5, or 6 other competitors to deal with,

7 f***in yrs of mediocrity under FSG, 7 f***in yrs of lacking ambition, they know the goalposts have shifted, they know they will need to dig deep, because otherwise we become the Stoke f***in city or WHU types who are very happy to trundle along each season in mid table utopia
      That matches the ambition of the owners of those two clubs!

YNWA

There you go again asking us to spend money we don't have.  :f_tongueincheek:  ;D
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,984 posts | 5042 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #21920: Feb 25, 2017 09:29:04 pm
      There you go again asking us to spend money we don't have.  :f_tongueincheek:  ;D

A blindfolded Stevie Wonder can see that more investment is needed, f***in pathetic that FSG can't and probably won't!!

YNWA
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #21921: Feb 25, 2017 09:39:27 pm
      Given the value of those clubs, if they do sell, it will be to another rich owner, so I think they'll be ok.

So that means they wouldn't sell to the Moores family then-that's a pity/
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #21922: Feb 25, 2017 09:52:47 pm

Your right about FSG only investing what we earn, that's fine if you are happy being a club like Stoke City, WHU etc they have spent over and above what they would normally spend thanks to the TV deal currently in place,
      They have to spend over and above their normal budget to sustain Premiership status, without the TV money they'd both struggle,
      Their ambition at the start of each season is league survival and perhaps a good cup run,
      Are you seriously suggesting that LFC DON'T spend over and above the norm? 

Incase you might have missed it, the goalposts have shifted in terms of finance for every club, if you pardon the pun,
      Even without the TV money a club such as ours should be at least competing for targets both in fees and wages, it's all about attracting individuals, and persuading them that signing for LFC is the right move for them, that and ambitions of the club, it's manager, the teammates you'll be working with and finally the fans,
      FSG lack ambition, their mantra is to invest as little as possible whilst making as much profit as they can, they DON'T give a F**k about our history, they DON'T give a shiney sh*te whether we win or not, they're not bothered if we achieve a CL spot or not, they can't be f***in arsed to even make a trip to actually watch "their" investment in action, yes they built a new shiney stand with 8thousand extra seats, mostly for their corporate clients who also couldn't give a flying F**k what results we produce,

They employed Jürgen Klopp because he found success on a shoestring budget with Mainz and then with BvB, and they are hoping he does the same here, but both you and I know that ain't gonna happen, not in this league,

This not the Bundesliga where you have mainly only two or three clubs to effectively compete with, so budgets and investment are not on the same level as those required when you have 4,5, or 6 other competitors to deal with,

7 f***in yrs of mediocrity under FSG, 7 f***in yrs of lacking ambition, they know the goalposts have shifted, they know they will need to dig deep, because otherwise we become the Stoke f***in city or WHU types who are very happy to trundle along each season in mid table utopia
      That matches the ambition of the owners of those two clubs!

YNWA

Some good points, but to be fair some are also a bit (a lot) of a stretch.

Consider this; We are one of the biggest clubs in the world and generate a LOT of revenue through various sources, and yet you say that without regular injections of cash on top of what the club makes we are equal to Stoke or West Ham? In which case that would mean we aren't actually one of the biggest clubs in the world.
      I get what you're trying to say, but I disagree.

It really doesn't matter what either of us says, but as I respect you as a poster, perhaps we can keep it civil in future.

Now back to the matter at hand, and FSG.
      Would I like them to put more money in? Yes, but I'd also prefer us to comply with FFP, and as you know, we nearly got done a couple of years back, so straight away that limits how much any owner can inject, unless you spend a shitload of extra time and money circumventing the rules. For instance City were extremely lucky over the naming rights/sponsorship fiasco.

Like I said, when they came in, they said we would only spend what we earned, so I find it difficult to make demands, bearing in mind that we earn a good amount as a club.
      The problems (or some of them) have been waste in player recruitment, wages etc
      We pay top wages for top performers, but we pay less for squad players. We know this; Suarez, Sterling, Agger, Skrtel, Gerrard etc all got big pay rises.
      Coutinho now, and Lallana as well.
      I don't think refusing to pay 100k a week for an unproven player makes sense.
      I also don't think being held to ransom in the transfer market makes much sense, and how many times have we all complained over the years about getting bent over?

The fact is, we're not a mega rich club, and the owners aren't going to chuck money at us, so we have to find a different way of doing things.
      That's the reality, and all the complaining and griping in the world won't change a thing, except your blood pressure.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,484 posts | 8675 
      Reply #21923: Feb 25, 2017 10:57:26 pm
      I remember when we started paying John Barnes ten grand a week and he was the highest paid player in British football. Worth every penny he was too, what a f****** footballer Digger was.     

And you should of heard the amount of abuse he got at Highbury during the 92 Fa Cup semi after that story got released about what he was earning. Absolutely tonnes of it, up until his free-kick set up the equaliser for Ronnie Whelan!!

HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,484 posts | 8675 
      Reply #21924: Feb 25, 2017 11:11:34 pm
      A blindfolded Stevie Wonder can see that more investment is needed, f***in pathetic that FSG can't and probably won't!!

YNWA

Tbh I see that changing if we can make the Champions League.
      andylfcynwa
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,367 posts | 1638 
      Reply #21925: Feb 26, 2017 01:58:48 am
      If you look at the long term, which I think is important, What happens when City and Chelsea owners f*ck off? Who can afford to keep them running? dangerous game me thinks, be careful what you wish for!
      I might be dead by then I want to see us win in my lifetime and me dads all this wait and see is no fckin good to me .
      andylfcynwa
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,367 posts | 1638 
      Reply #21926: Feb 26, 2017 02:07:58 am

Consider this; We are one of the biggest clubs in the world and generate a LOT of revenue through various sources, and yet you say that without regular injections of cash on top of what the club makes we are equal to Stoke or West Ham? In which case that would mean we aren't actually one of the biggest clubs in the world.

It really doesn't matter what either of us says, but as I respect you as a poster, perhaps we can keep it civil in future.

Would I like them to put more money in? Yes, but I'd also prefer us to comply with FFP, and as you know, we nearly got done a couple of years back, so straight away that limits how much any owner can inject, unless you spend a shitload of extra time and money circumventing the rules. For instance City were extremely lucky over the naming rights/sponsorship fiasco.

Like I said, when they came in, they said we would only spend what we earned, so I find it difficult to make demands, bearing in mind that we earn a good amount as a club.
      We pay top wages for top performers, but we pay less for squad players. We know this; Suarez, Sterling, Agger, Skrtel, Gerrard etc all got big pay rises.
      I also don't think being held to ransom in the transfer market makes much sense, and how many times have we all complained over the years about getting bent over?

The fact is, we're not a mega rich club, and the owners aren't going to chuck money at us, so we have to find a different way of doing things.
      That's the reality, and all the complaining and griping in the world won't change a thing, except your blood pressure.

We might not be a mega rich club as u put it but when u get bought fot a song and you're opening line is we can compete witth the best or as long them lines it leaves a soure taste when we act like a bargain basement outfit .
      DaktionLFC
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,084 posts | 84 
      Reply #21927: Feb 26, 2017 05:41:23 am
      problem is that we were bought on a cheap. FSG sees us as a cash cow opportunity that is reaping higher rewards than they probably imagined

we shouldve never been on their radar nor in the price point they would invest in. we used to be able to set league records on transfers or salaries.... if the player was deemed worth it.  we didnt go ape crazy with money but would dig deep and not be gun shy.   

now i feel we have a transfer value max on a player regardless of who.  we no longer compete for the signature of a proven class player instead shop at the level below in hopes we can uncover a gem

hopefully things change. i dunno.  i will support LFC forever but it was obvious as there are sunlight in day that our squad was thin.  we sisnt have the adequate defense cover. mane leaving in jan etc etc. yet we chunged along.  played some great football then reality caught up with us.   with a deeper bench at our disposal, one can only wonder if we would be like chelsea... challenging for the title instead of sitting 11pts off and hoping for 4th
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #21928: Feb 26, 2017 06:37:47 am
      Why do you support Liverpool FC? Not taking the piss an absolute honest question. You know we used to spend the most and buy players to stop other teams buying them. All the things we accuse city, chelsea and utd of doing now!!  If we want to get back to the good times we can't be just self-sufficient we need owners prepared to back us as well. Everyone can point to what we've spent on Mane etc but if you put that up against money we brought in from sales etc. Fsg haven't really spent that much on us.

That's before my time mate. Just can't buy into the soulless throwing away of money. I wouldn't want it. I would prefare spend really big when you need it, and make shrewd signings that are good deals. If we threw away £50 million on Jon Stones or 30 on Fellani every year like City and United do, I'd be just as annoyed as underspending
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,984 posts | 5042 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #21929: Feb 26, 2017 09:13:54 am

No we're not a mega rich club that's true enough, however we do have enough money to at least make a offer that matches that of a rival,
      This is where FSG fail, I'm not suggesting that we pay in excess of £80 odd million that the Munts City or Chavs can, but we could easily afford sums in the region of 30,40 or even 50million, again I'm not saying that we buy 3 players at £50m apiece however, to acquire the quality players to take us up another level it's possible these sort of figures will be required,
      As for FFP, I'm not sure exactly what the ceiling is we have to abide by maybe someone does, but I'd like to think we'd be able to get pretty close to it without burning our fingers,

FSG like it or not have duped us, they clearly stated that "We would compete"  with others and bring success back to Anfield, well after 7 yrs it's hard to see their ambition matching ours wouldn't you say??

YNWA
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,043 posts | 3967 
      Reply #21930: Feb 26, 2017 10:37:22 am

No we're not a mega rich club that's true enough, however we do have enough money to at least make a offer that matches that of a rival,

FSG like it or not have duped us, they clearly stated that "We would compete"  with others and bring success back to Anfield, well after 7 yrs it's hard to see their ambition matching ours wouldn't you say??

YNWA

The Suarez debacle was a taste of what was to come, we all know what the player that now has a £200m+ buy out was given away for - 75 F***ing million, to add insult to injury the replacement for our match winning maestro was three players with 'potential' price tags.

'All the manager's fault' was and still is the cry from Boston, irrespective of JWH's stated views about paying or not paying a suitable price for a player according to his judgement.

Raheem Stirling was a carbon copy.

The sound bytes from across the ocean have decreased, JWH&Co obviously don't see the need for the bullshit anymore - the natives are resigned to their fate......or so they would like to think.

andylfcynwa
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,367 posts | 1638 
      Reply #21931: Feb 26, 2017 11:32:25 am
      Why do you support Liverpool FC? Not taking the piss an absolute honest question. You know we used to spend the most and buy players to stop other teams buying them. All the things we accuse city, chelsea and utd of doing now!!  If we want to get back to the good times we can't be just self-sufficient we need owners prepared to back us as well. Everyone can point to what we've spent on Mane etc but if you put that up against money we brought in from sales etc. Fsg haven't really spent that much on us.

What like trophies and success. Remind us what we've won so far under these fuckers. 1 league cup ain't it?

Thats the trouble  mate its only us old fckers who can remember us winning and how we used to do it .
      Its the new breed who cant remember when we used to buy the best.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #21932: Feb 26, 2017 11:59:53 am

This is where FSG fail, I'm not suggesting that we pay in excess of £80 odd million that the Munts City or Chavs can, but we could easily afford sums in the region of 30,40 or even 50million, again I'm not saying that we buy 3 players at £50m apiece however, to acquire the quality players to take us up another level it's possible these sort of figures will be required,
      As for FFP, I'm not sure exactly what the ceiling is we have to abide by maybe someone does, but I'd like to think we'd be able to get pretty close to it without burning our fingers,

YNWA

Fair enough points again, but what I would like to point out is that we've had 2 managers wanting to rebuild after Hodgson, and now a third manager wanting to shape the squad into what he wants.
      Let's face it, that takes time and although not an excuse, I do think it's a consideration that should be taken into account.

I don't think they've duped anyone, I just think they were naive about how football (the real kind) works.
      Remember JH being shocked by transfers and how they worked?
      It was the same with twit and tw*t when they were here.
      I find it hard to justify the "duped" tag when it seems to me that they were naive rather than actively setting out to F**k us over.

So whilst I think they really should have done their homework on what's required to run a (real) football club, and have made plenty of mistakes, I've yet to find any  evidence that they are F***ing us over.
      The Real Donavan Ried

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #21933: Feb 26, 2017 12:33:39 pm
      Andy Carroll, Christian Benteke, Sadio Mané.

Have we ever signed anyone else above £30m?!
      For me it is not about how much money we spent on Andy Carroll (35m), Christian Benteke(32m), Sadio Mané (34m). It is more about whom we were competing against to sign these players that is the story...None of the top teams (your City's,Utd's ,Arsenal's,Tottenham's or Chelsea's)... The fact that none of these teams were involved rather speaks to the point that they were not of the class that those teams wished to sign...We should be in there battling with the best teams in the Premier League if not Europe signing players, the fact that we are not speaks volumes...and makes us look like a two bit outfit
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,043 posts | 3967 
      Reply #21934: Feb 26, 2017 01:21:52 pm

YNWA

JWH stood on the Anfield turf seven years ago and stated ''we will make LFC great again''.
      Along with the other patronising sh*t, it was all lies as our current status proves.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #21935: Feb 26, 2017 01:35:40 pm
      JWH stood on the Anfield turf seven years ago and stated ''we will make LFC great again''.
      Along with the other patronising sh*t, it was all lies as our current status proves.

Nah, he stood there less than 6 1/2 years ago, and he didn't put a timeframe on it.

You won't be joining in the celebrations when Klopp lands his first title with us then.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,484 posts | 8675 
      Reply #21936: Feb 26, 2017 02:34:13 pm
      That's before my time mate. Just can't buy into the soulless throwing away of money. I wouldn't want it. I would prefare spend really big when you need it, and make shrewd signings that are good deals. If we threw away £50 million on Jon Stones or 30 on Fellani every year like City and United do, I'd be just as annoyed as underspending

Can't argue with that because I totally agree, rather than pissing away money on two attacking midfielders - Lallana and Markovic for instance, it should of been one of them then address another area in the team.
      LFC-LCFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,766 posts | 128 
      • Adopted Scouser
      Reply #21937: Feb 26, 2017 06:45:44 pm
      You won't be joining in the celebrations when Klopp lands his first title with us then.

That'll never happen with the current set of bottle-jobs we've got now, and bottle-jobs is all we seem prepared to buy. I don't foresee any celebrations until FSG sell us for their tidy profit.
      DaktionLFC
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,084 posts | 84 
      Reply #21938: Feb 27, 2017 04:43:51 am
      today manutd leveled with us on major trophies

i dislike them as much as the next lfc fan but look at them.... they had a problem. their team needed an overhaul.  they went out and spent to get back into winning ways instead of doing small little steps at a time. 

in this current mega money marketing world, you need to win to make money. but you need money to win.   FSG. throw some real money here, lets go for real class players that can improve us and lets get back to winning ways
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #21939: Feb 27, 2017 07:19:51 am
      Here's another crazy thought... And before you bite my head off, I'm just playing evils advocate here

Maybe we're not good enough to lure top talent anymore?
      RedWilly

• 9,214 posts | 1646 
      Reply #21940: Feb 27, 2017 07:48:17 am
      Here's another crazy thought... And before you bite my head off, I'm just playing evils advocate here

A situation that has occurred under FSG's reign. Pretty damming in my eyes.
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #21941: Feb 27, 2017 08:05:17 am

Bill Shankly  managed to sign top talent in 1960 when we were in the old 2nd division in 1960 when he signed Big Rowdy and the Saint,I am sure Jürgen could be as persuasive as Shanks was then.The only difference between then and now is we had a Board of directors who wanted the club to succeed.And Shanks also signed the Mighty Emlyn and so many others right through to his last signing the fabulous Ray Kennedy.
      « Last Edit: Feb 27, 2017 08:46:38 am by Billy1 »

Quick Reply