Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 24th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P14 W9 D1 L4

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Who was your man of the match v Napoli?

Kyrgiakos
      (2%)
      Spearing
      (3.3%)
      Johnson
      (0.7%)
      Gerrard
      (92.8%)
      Ngog
      (1.3%)

Liverpool 3-1 Napoli: In-game & post-match Stevie Glee

Read 76057 times
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Re: Liverpool 3-1 Napoli: In-game & post-match Stevie Glee
      Reply #851: Nov 05, 2010 01:21:59 am
      I'm disappointed that folk are having a go at Shelvey...it was his 2nd start FFS!

He's not looked out of place in either of these games. Which suggests that he can handle the PL.

He and Spearing should be ahead of Poulsen, who should be told to GTF ASAP.

Yeah the guy did nothing spectacular but nothing spectacularly wrong. He was better than both Spearing and Poulsen combined in fairness.

But I really don't see the fascination Roy has with Poulsen. Really am bemused. I recall reading an article by Roy in June (for the BBC or Times, don't know which one) saying he was 'one to watch out for' in the world cup and even then I was surprised. He had a reputation for being a hard man but I've yet to see that. Well HAD.
      Rock N Redzer
      • Banned

• 108 posts |
      Reply #852: Nov 05, 2010 01:22:04 am
      Poosen, look over your shoulder lad and heed advice!

dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,131 posts | 3377 
      Reply #853: Nov 05, 2010 02:06:33 am
      First half was shocking to be honest. Looked like a very, very poor set of players from back to front. And they were always looking the more likely to score and ultimately did. Well deserved lead for them at the interval.

Gerrard's introduction seemed to lift the lads. He actually started pretty slowly though, gave the ball away and just stood still rather than chasing to get it back. But once he got into the swing of things, there was no stopping him.

Dossena F***ing up with that back pass brought back horrible memories. What a sh*t defender that lad is. Gerrard prepared to go in and draw us level. The penalty was well placed, no keeper was stopping it. And the third was pure quality. Everyone will rave about Lucas and Gerrard's contribution to the third goal (rightfully) but Ecclestone did a F***ing great job of closing the keeper down and cutting off the pass to their right back.

3 wins on the spin, right sort of run heading into the Chelsea game. We'll F**k them on Sunday and all of a sudden, things look much better if still not perfect by any stretch of the imagination. Still unbeaten in Europe, top of the group and practically through. Good night all round from the playing side of things.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #854: Nov 05, 2010 02:59:06 am
      First half was shocking to be honest. Looked like a very, very poor set of players from back to front. And they were always looking the more likely to score and ultimately did. Well deserved lead for them at the interval.

Gerrard's introduction seemed to lift the lads. He actually started pretty slowly though, gave the ball away and just stood still rather than chasing to get it back. But once he got into the swing of things, there was no stopping him.

Dossena f**king up with that back pass brought back horrible memories. What a sh*t defender that lad is. Gerrard prepared to go in and draw us level. The penalty was well placed, no keeper was stopping it. And the third was pure quality. Everyone will rave about Lucas and Gerrard's contribution to the third goal (rightfully) but Ecclestone did a f**king great job of closing the keeper down and cutting off the pass to their right back.

3 wins on the spin, right sort of run heading into the Chelsea game. We'll f**k them on Sunday and all of a sudden, things look much better if still not perfect by any stretch of the imagination. Still unbeaten in Europe, top of the group and practically through. Good night all round from the playing side of things.

He certainly was a waste was Dossena but he scored against Real and Man Utd in one week so for that reason he is coooool.
      seacol
      • Forum John Toshack

• 266 posts |
      Reply #855: Nov 05, 2010 03:44:42 am

Roy still not a clue...almost like he is winging it from game to game and tactics!?!?!?!?! Lets not fool ourselves. Roy has no tactics. I believe most, if not all of us could pick a team to beat Napoli at home. He needs to get over Poulsen if he wants to have any chance of succeeding at our club.
      Stevie saved the day but should of for sure been Poulsen off, not Jova. I still think we need to give Jova a run at the front as well. Man is frontman not a wide man. You can clearly see that.
      The biggest thing that worries me about Roy is his substitutions. Today was easy as our best player was on the bench but when we have a full strength team on the pitch with changes needed, he has no clue. We may be on 3 wins in a row but I still feel we have alot of heartache to come with Roy.
      On a better note, love Mrs.Henry and seems like she will settle right in!! haha
      khawja
      • Forum Ronny Rosenthal

• 103 posts |
      Reply #856: Nov 05, 2010 03:45:40 am
      Hey i couldnt watch the match live.. Could any one please upload the match highlights ?
      aussieredave
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 961 posts |
      Reply #857: Nov 05, 2010 03:47:58 am
      Ecclestone actually can play like a winger and shock horror we looked awesome when he came into the game.

I feel sorry for Jova because its clear he is talented and he trys but i just don't think he fits into the squad at all.

I would call that game lucky rather then impressive. "Lil Tevez" ;D epic, wouldn't mind him in our team.
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #858: Nov 05, 2010 03:54:42 am
      Hey I couldnt watch the match live.. Could any one please upload the match highlights ?

LiverpoolvsNapoli_3-1_04Nov2010

Best i've been able to find so far mate.

aussieredave
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 961 posts |
      Reply #859: Nov 05, 2010 03:58:29 am
      How depressing was it when they cut to Torres looking from the stands and poor little Dani P was just chilling in his suit looking all sad and sh*t.

FREE DANI ! let the little f**ker loose.
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #860: Nov 05, 2010 04:02:07 am
      How depressing was it when they cut to Torres looking from the stands and poor little Dani P was just chilling in his suit looking all sad and sh*t.

FREE DANI ! let the little f**ker loose.

I really am afraid we are gonna lose the lad to another team without him even doing anything for us. People complained when Rafa had him out - Roy has him even more frozen out it seems!
      khawja
      • Forum Ronny Rosenthal

• 103 posts |
      Reply #861: Nov 05, 2010 04:03:31 am
      Thanks mate. They were good enough.
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #862: Nov 05, 2010 04:08:11 am
      Thanks mate. They were good enough.

I'm looking for a nice extended highlights myself, 4 minutes is not enough for me :D
      FRANS
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 551 posts | 19 
      Reply #863: Nov 05, 2010 05:11:11 am
      Woy needs to pull a rabbit out his butt to win tonight
      Lucky Roy he did.
      TheRedsFan
      • Forum David Johnson

• 219 posts |
      • Nunca Caminaras Solo...Te Amo Liverpool
      Reply #864: Nov 05, 2010 05:19:12 am
      Well could watch the game cause I was at work, but from the comments I had a chance to read on my phone during work, forst half wasnt good and it all changed when Gerrard came in in the second half!!
      But can someone tell me what are we gonna do with Poulsen??
      FRANS
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 551 posts | 19 
      Reply #865: Nov 05, 2010 05:21:06 am
      we

Dossena f**king up with that back pass brought back horrible memories. What a sh*t defender that lad is. Gerrard prepared to go in and draw us level. The penalty was well placed, no keeper was stopping it. And the third was pure quality. Everyone will rave about Lucas and Gerrard's contribution to the third goal (rightfully) but Ecclestone did a f**king great job of closing the keeper down and cutting off the pass to their right back.

3 wins on the spin, right sort of run heading into the Chelsea game. We'll f**k them on Sunday and all of a sudden, things look much better if still not perfect by any stretch of the imagination. Still unbeaten in Europe, top of the group and practically through. Good night all round from the playing side of things.
      wel said mate let us keep our hope high for sunday game.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #866: Nov 05, 2010 05:23:00 am
      Captain Fantastic Saves Managers Arse.

A Telegraph Article

Liverpool 3 Napoli 1: match report
      Read a full match report of the Europa League game between Liverpool at Napoli at Anfield on Thursday Nov 4 2010.

Henry Winter

By Henry Winter
      Published: 11:28PM GMT 04 Nov 2010

Hat-trick man and rescue-man, Steven Gerrard remains the man for all Liverpool seasons, the man whom the Kop turn to when they walk through a storm. New owners and a new manager can come into Anfield but the main man remains a tall athletic local with an unquenchable desire for victory.

One major debt remains at Anfield: one club’s debt to one player.

Liverpool would have lost without Gerrard.

Simple as that.

At the break, they were trailing to Ezequiel Lavezzi, being given the runaround by the clever counterattackers from Serie A. At the interval, Napoli fans raised a banner declaring "Anfield Road – Nothing Scary’’. It soon was.

Attacking the end containing the visiting support, Gerrard was unstoppable when he replaced Milan Jovanovic. He was given able support in Jay Spearing, who crunched into tackles, and David Ngog, who continued to run tirelessly and somehow survived a shocking challenge from Salvatore Aronica, a foul so filthy it deserves retrospective action from Uefa.

Gerrard was also assisted by Nathan Eccleston, making it seven Englishmen on the pitch at the final whistle. The Brazilian Lucas, too, played his part late on.

In truth, Gerrard has probably been better for England than Liverpool this season. But in his team’s hour of need, he delivered. Requiring only 13 minutes, the fourth hat-trick of his Liverpool career brought another landmark.

Gerrard’s third goal, a wonderful dink over the despairing Napoli keeper Morgan De Sanctis, was his 38th in Europe, took him alongside Ruud van Nistelrooy, and within four goals of Thierry Henry, as the player to have scored most European goals for one English club.

In becoming only the second Liverpool sub to score a hat-trick (along with Steve Staunton against Wigan in the League Cup in 1989), Gerrard was also indebted to an old team-mate, Andrea Dossena, the Napoli wing-back seemingly spooked on his return to Anfield. Poor Dossena was involved in every one of Gerrard’s goals.

Initially kept in reserve to keep him fresh for Chelsea on Sunday, Gerrard’s arrival immediately made Roy Hodgson’s side look a more cohesive force.
      Raul Meireles took the departing Jovanovic’s place on the left, allowing Gerrard to slot into the hole behind Ngog. Jonjo Shelvey seemed lifted by Gerrard’s company, the youngster drilling in a cross that Ngog connected well with but aimed too close to De Sanctis.
      As the ball fell loose, Gerrard was swiftest to react but his sights were not properly set.
      Not yet.

Liverpool continued to create chances and Shelvey should have shown more composure when meeting Ngog’s cross just before the hour-mark. Hodgson twisted again, bringing on Eccleston for Christian Poulsen as the Kop chanted "attack, attack, attack’’.
      The departure of the uninspiring Poulsen was greeted with delight by swathes of the Liverpool support.

Meireles was enduring one of his weaker displays but he almost equalised following good work by Gerrard and then Ngog. The ball fell invitingly enough for Meireles but he shot wide. The game began to become stretched and increasingly combative. Spearing thundered into a couple of magnificent tackles. Liverpool were not going down quietly.

With 20 minutes remaining, Gerrard was presented with a free-kick just outside the D. Anfield stood hopefully. He hit the ball firmly, imparting enough bend to negotiate the wall but insufficient to carry it the right side of the post.

No matter.
      Liverpool’s regular saviour rode to the rescue again.
      It had to be Gerrard.
      It had to be this embodiment of Liverpool passion.
      When Shelvey drove into the box, Dossena nipped in to slide the ball towards De Sanctis. Dossena rarely did much right at Anfield during his career here, so an element of haplessness was perhaps inevitable. Dossena had not spotted Gerrard, who poked the ball past De Sanctis.

Gerrard’s celebration took him along the front of the Napoli fans, who showered him with abuse. He responded by holding a finger to his lips in a hushing signal. Gerrard soon silenced them, the midfielder refusing to settle for a point. When Johnson was brought down by a clumsy challenge from Aronica, Gerrard drilled in the penalty.

There was more, magnificently so. Spearing, short of height but with a good spring, won a De Sanctis goal-kick, heading the ball back into Napoli’s half. Dossena again dithered, encouraging Lucas to nip in and nick the ball to Gerrard. The England international drove through, lifting the ball over the diving keeper with all the sangfroid expertise of Ian Rush.

As much as there was to celebrate in Gerrard’s remarkable contribution, Liverpool’s defending was exposed in the first half, particularly when Edinson Cavani headed through for Lavezzi to race through and score.
      Liverpool’s new owner, John W Henry, shifted uneasily in his seat while the new director of football strategy Damien Comolli sank back in his chair.

Until Gerrard came on, the squad limitations were laid bare for all to see.

As were the strictures of the stadium. Ill-will had also seeped into this contest, an unwanted relic of unpleasant events in the shadow of Mount Vesuvius a fortnight ago. There were problems with segregation while the Kop made its contemptuous view of the Italians abundantly clear.
      One banner read "Napoli Merda’’.

Another was waved vigorously at the final whistle. "Ciao Napoli’’.

Team details

Liverpool: Reina, Johnson, Carragher, Kyrgiakos, Konchesky, Poulsen, Spearing, Shelvey, Meireles, Jovanovic, Ngog.
      Subs: Hansen, Gerrard, Lucas, Wilson, Kelly, Skrtel, Eccleston.
      Napoli: De Sanctis, Campagnaro, Cannavaro, Aronica, Maggio, Pazienza, Gargano, Dossena, Hamsik, Lavezzi, Cavani.
      Subs: Gianello, Grava, Dumitru, Santacroce, Zuniga, Yebda, Sosa.
      Referee: Fredy Fautrel (France)

I loik dem articles by dat Henry fella.
      FRANS
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 551 posts | 19 
      Reply #867: Nov 05, 2010 05:31:07 am
      Well could watch the game cause I was at work, but from the comments I had a chance to read on my phone during work, forst half wasnt good and it all changed when Gerrard came in in the second half!!
      But can someone tell me what are we gonna do with Poulsen??
      He was given a  chance again he didn't show any quality again. maybe he must play more in B team and show us his quality .
      TheRedsFan
      • Forum David Johnson

• 219 posts |
      • Nunca Caminaras Solo...Te Amo Liverpool
      Reply #868: Nov 05, 2010 05:38:04 am
      He was given a  chance again he didn't show any quality again. maybe he must play more in B team and show us his quality .

He cost us the first goal! I dont wanna see him on Sunday
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #869: Nov 05, 2010 06:35:07 am
       Have not seen the match so I will not comment on any players,as with any win these days it is very welcome.We should finish top of this group.(hopefully)
      Madscouser
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,814 posts | 67 
      Reply #870: Nov 05, 2010 07:09:41 am
      Only saw second half - thankfully... and haven't gone through all 30 pages of the thread.

Thank fck Woy put gerrard on the bench.

Thought Shelvey showed promise - given the lad is still only 18, even though he looks twice as old as that.
      alex1995
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,193 posts | 165 
      Reply #871: Nov 05, 2010 07:11:58 am
      Did anyone notice that we conceded the goal because of ................ Poulsen :O
      SL
      • Forum David Johnson

• 233 posts |
      • The King is back!!
      Reply #872: Nov 05, 2010 07:57:33 am
      Sad times indeed!
      Seems that to "belong" on here,one must NOT like Roy Hodgson.
      Any one that even indicates any slight positiveness re Roy gets totally ridiculed.I for one really hope that his 3 run of wins continue.
      It was good enogh for me hearing Stevie G giving his support to his boss (he did'nt have to do that)so why don't we just give him the benefit of the doubt as to his ambitions for the club.
      If like most of you predict "he does'nt cut it" so be it.However we are Liverpool and we don't (usually)act this way.I say IRWT and hope.
      NB It would probably help his cause if he binned Poulsen (BIG mistake imo).   

perfect F***ing perfect
      Rock N Redzer
      • Banned

• 108 posts |
      Reply #873: Nov 05, 2010 08:16:36 am
      Poulsen or poosen as I like to call him is utterly garbage he really is. He literally offers us nothing and is more a hinderance than anything else. It wouldn't be so bad if he had some attribute of note but he can't even cover the defence like a DM should and that is a minimum requirement in my book. Masherano offered us nothing going forward but the fella new how to look after his defence, the fact I am using Masherano and poosen in the same paragraph together is an offence to the little chief himself.

Poulsen for one isn't mobile enough, he's told old and the pace of the prem and even these European games are way too much for him. In possesion he is garbage and offers nothing apart from conceeding possesion, his tackling is poor/weak in my opinion too. By all accounts he was supposed to be half decent midfielder in his day (I never watched the bloke) but it's as clear as anything that the bloke was/is a waste of bloody money - and if it wasn't for Roy's love affair with the Dane he'd probably be playing football now back in the second division of the Danish league.

If he plays on Sunday (which I doubt) we'll be fu**ed.

Quick Reply