Trending Topics

Next match: Betis v LFC [Friendly] Sat 27th Jul @ 12:30 am
      Acrisure Stadium

Today is the 16th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P0 W0 D0 L0

January transfer window - Have we done enough?

Read 6330 times
      barrymanulow
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,014 posts | -14 
      Re: January transfer window - Have we done enough?
      Reply #23: Feb 01, 2011 01:48:17 pm
      No.....a net spend of zero...the owners have failed miserably in their first window....
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,512 posts | 4851 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #24: Feb 01, 2011 01:53:12 pm
      No.....a net spend of zero...the owners have failed miserably in their first window....

Suarez was coming before the Torres out/Carroll in saga so the net spend would of been greater if his had not happened.

Not their fault he wanted to F**k off.
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,270 posts | 2859 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #25: Feb 01, 2011 01:55:00 pm

Could have pocketed the money.

What we needed was goal getters, we have now got 2, where as before we had someone who now appears was not interested.
      hardcoresoldier
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,160 posts | 1288 
      • The Liverpool Way is The Only Way
      Reply #26: Feb 01, 2011 01:57:32 pm

I wondered why your rating was -41. With comments like that i'm surprised you haven't been banned. January is always a sellers market, prices are always over inflated. Aldo got it spot on earlier when he said that on recent form that Torres was only worth £30 million and he was right. The last minute transfer request from Nando fu**ed us up, we screwed Chelsea for as much as we could for Torres and Newcastle did the same for Carroll. That is not NESV's fault.

We have just picked up the best young English striker in England, a buy for the future. Can you not understand that?.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,512 posts | 4851 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #27: Feb 01, 2011 01:59:53 pm

-41 = Enough said.
      barrymanulow
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,014 posts | -14 
      Reply #28: Feb 01, 2011 03:14:00 pm
      NESV bought the Liverpool Football Club for 300 million pounds.

The squad alone was worth 250 million of that without any other assets of the club.

So what exactly do people think the BRAND NAME  LFC  is worth ?

It sounds like some of you think the brand name is worth absolutely nothing.  In actual fact the brand name is worth plenty, and they got this club for 200 million less than its value due to a clever piece of legal manouvering. 

My expectations were that with that 200 million saving in their back pockets that it would not have been too greedy to have expected an immediate 60 million net investment in this window.  Considering the way the team has been lacking in confidence and desperately needing some class additions to start climbing the ladder I would have thought it was a no brainer.
      Considering there are 3 world class players left in the side who all want investment in the team and all have come out and said so..... one would have thought that it was a no brainer.

Not asking them to plunge the club into debt, but immediate investment could have secured champions league, and increased revenue in other ways. (merchandise etc)

Maybe they need to wait until Reina and Gerrard leave before loosening the purse strings. Or... maybe they did intend to spend 60 million net in this window and Torres just woke up one day and decided he hates the LFC and didnt want to play with the new  promised January stars.

Think about it....

harrydunn08
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,930 posts | 971 
      Reply #29: Feb 01, 2011 03:39:56 pm
      To be honest the place we lacked the most was attacking football, yes wingers contribute to that but we did what we needed to in the circumstances.

It is not feasible to buy 2 strikers a CB and a winger or two the Jan window. Buying 4-5 players in Jan just isnt worth it, look at what we had to splash out to get Carroll, imagine having to do that on another 1-2 players? Could have spent 100mil or more which is silly money and we arent about that.

I agree with this, but I'd still like to see us make a few more moves in the summer to turn us back into a real force in England.  Skrtel, Sotis, Aurelio, Konch, Poulsen, and Jova need to be sold.  We need to bring in a top CB, a top LB, a CDM, and a top winger (preferably left footed).  Also recall Insua and if Juve won't cough up the money for Aqua, bring him back as well.  A few well placed moves in the summer with a decent level of investment (roughly 30 million on top of player sales) could see us challenging for the league title again very soon. 

Welcome to Liverpool Andy and Luis!!!  YNWA :)
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,517 posts | 8685 
      Reply #30: Feb 01, 2011 03:47:12 pm
      NESV bought the Liverpool Football Club for 300 million pounds.

The squad alone was worth 250 million of that without any other assets of the club.

So what exactly do people think the BRAND NAME  LFC  is worth ?

It sounds like some of you think the brand name is worth absolutely nothing.  In actual fact the brand name is worth plenty, and they got this club for 200 million less than its value due to a clever piece of legal manouvering. 

My expectations were that with that 200 million saving in their back pockets that it would not have been too greedy to have expected an immediate 60 million net investment in this window.  Considering the way the team has been lacking in confidence and desperately needing some class additions to start climbing the ladder I would have thought it was a no brainer.
      Considering there are 3 world class players left in the side who all want investment in the team and all have come out and said so..... one would have thought that it was a no brainer.

Not asking them to plunge the club into debt, but immediate investment could have secured champions league, and increased revenue in other ways. (merchandise etc)

Maybe they need to wait until Reina and Gerrard leave before loosening the purse strings. Or... maybe they did intend to spend 60 million net in this window and Torres just woke up one day and decided he hates the LFC and didnt want to play with the new  promised January stars.

Think about it....

Think about this, had we sold Torres under the other two clowns, would that £50 million be re-invested into the team? Would it F**k!

Job done by the owners for me!
      kevinho
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,698 posts | 78 
      • YNWA
      Reply #31: Feb 01, 2011 03:47:30 pm
      This is the first transfer window, with inflated values and little player movement (relative to that of the summer). Yes, the owners do have money to spend, but they aren't going to spend it for spending's sake, unlike Sheikh City or Chelski. Spending without truly researching the value of the money gets you stuck with players like Lescott and Adebayor, who have become surplus to requirements, replaced by the latest flavor of the week.

I am pleased that not only did they show intent, but NESV got the job done on a couple of key signings. We got rid of Torres for more than he was worth based on current performance (more than doubling the investment four years ago). True, we overpaid for Carroll, but thus is the caveat with buying in the winter market. We also underpaid (in my opinion) a bit for Suarez, and did a great piece of business getting him here.

The fact of the matter is only time will tell if these players we've purchased turn out to be worth the money splashed. I hope so, and I for one am pleased at the way business was conducted behind closed doors, and we weren't held for ransom by Ajax. We could have paid less for Carroll, but supply and demand deemed that because we were in dire need of a young striker with the money we had just acquired from the sale of Torres, as well as the timing of the need, the price had risen. Unavoidable.

I also see that we are putting emphasis on giving our youth more opportunities. Getting El Sulko out of here could free up another spot for a youth player to come up (Pacheco/Suso anyone?) and get on the pitch. Suarez and Carroll are only 24 and 22 respectively, and by the time they're rounding in to their absolute primes in the next couple of years, Pacheco and Suso could very well be first-team regulars. Picture that...
      little-Luis:)

• 7,844 posts | 179 
      Reply #32: Feb 01, 2011 03:50:47 pm
      The January transfer window is a very hard market to do well in. It often takes one club to put a big offer in for a player and that then starts a domino effect of transfers. Usually, players in January can become overpriced because of the timing of the deals, but also due to some panic buying.

Seeing as we only had a few days to replace Torres we have done well I think. Didn't spend any money and we have come out with the 2 very, very good players for the future and could see us play even more attacking than we have in previous seasons. We still have the spine of our team, relatively, and have even further strengthened it. I think that we have done well this window and have only increased our chances of climbing up the table :)
      barrymanulow
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,014 posts | -14 
      Reply #33: Feb 01, 2011 04:10:51 pm
      Think about this, had we sold Torres under the other two clowns, would that £50 million be re-invested into the team? Would it f**k!

Job done by the owners for me!

I agree with you that under the other two clowns that we were worse off......but I would prefer not to use those two clowns as the benchmark.

Its like saying its great being kicked in the guts because we avoided being kicked in the balls.

This sell to buy crap makes my skin crawl and I wanna see us improve the team by adding to what we have, not breaking even.  Those two previous clowns have dulled peoples expectations so much its unbelievable.

This window was an opportunity lost, difficult maybe, but Chelsea managed to buy without selling, so it can be done.  The investment needs to be massive now come the summer, I just hope we hang on to European status. 
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,522 posts | 2874 
      Reply #34: Feb 01, 2011 04:19:27 pm
      If Torres didn't leave or didn't put us in the sh*t we would have gone for a winger and probably Adam.

But since he did all our efforts had to go to getting Carroll in and Torres out. Thought they handled it brilliantly and did it the Liverpool way. You could tell by the bids for Richards and Young that there was plenty of cash around, just no time thanks to that F***ing Spanish lad.

Anyways, decent stuff this window. Really need to press on and sort the wide areas in the summer though.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,340 posts | 2838 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #35: Feb 01, 2011 04:20:20 pm
      We've certainly done better than we would of done with Hicks and Gillett, but I was a little disappointed to have focused so much in only one of our problems (the strike force), while with the money we received from transfers plus what NESV is supposedly willing to spend, we could have brought even more quality, filled other holes in our squad.

Well, at least they tried (Richards, Adam and Young for example), which leaves me very excited for the next summer, when we'll have more time and it's gonna be much easier to attract players.
      king kenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,133 posts | 456 
      Reply #36: Feb 01, 2011 04:29:12 pm
      Barrymanulow we do have to pay taxes on the Torres deal.  I think we have spent about 10m net to fix a big problem that came out of the blue!

I think we did excellent in the window under the circumstances.  We wanted to improve our strike force and even  though we got let down in the latter days of the window, at the end we have taken a step forward.  After fixing the problem at the time, which just had to be done, any other deal was just not going to be worth it.  As the prices would be measured with Carroll's price in negotiations.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,517 posts | 8685 
      Reply #37: Feb 01, 2011 04:40:22 pm
      I agree with you that under the other two clowns that we were worse off......but I would prefer not to use those two clowns as the benchmark.

Its like saying its great being kicked in the guts because we avoided being kicked in the balls.

This sell to buy crap makes my skin crawl and I wanna see us improve the team by adding to what we have, not breaking even.  Those two previous clowns have dulled peoples expectations so much its unbelievable.

This window was an opportunity lost, difficult maybe, but Chelsea managed to buy without selling, so it can be done.  The investment needs to be massive now come the summer, I just hope we hang on to European status. 

FFS.

Chelsea don't have to sell though cos they're run by the F***ing Russian mafia.

I don't see the other two cu*ts as a benchmark, but it's good to see players being sold and that actual money being used to bring in other players rather than pay off F***ing debts.

Basically reading your post you want us to be like Chelsea and man City throwing money all over the shop.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #38: Feb 01, 2011 04:59:03 pm
      I think they have done as much as they could given the circumstances. I originally thought they were too slow, and that was why we lost Torres, I NO LONGER BELIEVE THAT.

I would have liked to see a few more signings (who wouldn't!) but I would prefer the right signings rather than quick ones, and its very obvious that the January "premium" was very high. Hopefully they will show us a little more of their ambitions for the club in the summer and the right players will come in.   
      poolio_54
      • Forum Graeme Souness

• 376 posts | 11 
      Reply #39: Feb 01, 2011 05:19:02 pm
      No doubt about it we still need players in quite a few other positions and its a bit of a shame that we couldn't secure just one more top end attacking player (ashley young or mata for me). Then we could have bought the more expensive attacking players we need in Jan and then then the cheaper LB CB CM come the summer when the new finance rules come in. As it stands I think we did pretty well though
      Tayls

• 5,378 posts | 510 
      Reply #40: Feb 01, 2011 05:25:03 pm
      barry mate, you've got it all wrong. The fact remains that we WOULDNT have operated a sell to buy policy if Torres hadn't handed in a transfer request. The only reason we ended up spending so little in net was because of that deal, and I can't imagine it was in the owner's mind to cash in on a prize asset. Torres left us in the lurch with that one and it meant we could be held to ransom by Newcastle because 1) They knew we needed a striker to replace Torres and 2) They knew we had 50m from Chelsea coming in!

NESV are not operating a sell to buy policy, this HAS to be made clear. I'm hesitant to mention Hicks and Gillett anywhere here because as corbally and yourself have said they are hardly a high benchmark, but to compare previously we sold Mascherano and bought Poulsen. Compare that to selling Torres and buying TWO strikers in Suarez and Carroll. I just don't understand how you've got the idea NESV are operating under sell to buy when the only reason we sold Torres was because he asked to go? Explain it for me, because maybe I'm just being thick.
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #41: Feb 01, 2011 06:17:59 pm

Did you burn your Torres shirt too?

:roll:
      kevinho
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,698 posts | 78 
      • YNWA
      Reply #42: Feb 01, 2011 06:19:20 pm
      Did you burn the Torres shirt that Sky gave to you too?

Fixed it for you buddy :)
      queuepolitely
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 575 posts | 27 
      Reply #43: Feb 01, 2011 06:53:28 pm
      The club did really well I've been smiling since KK came back and happy with the business done in this Window. El sulk and la sulk can have each other. Happy fan here and very positive for our future. Also reckon kenny is staying, these signings smack of t.
      little-Luis:)

• 7,844 posts | 179 
      Reply #44: Feb 01, 2011 07:09:41 pm
      Did you burn your Torres shirt too?

that really pisses me off. People burning shirts. Even more so if Sky actually payed them to do it or gave them the shirt or had any influence in it for that matter.

thereds13
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,206 posts | 18 
      Reply #45: Feb 01, 2011 07:18:46 pm
      Do people really think it was the plan to have that net spend? Of course it wasn't did the owners want to sell Torres-no. Nobody could have forseen recieving 50 million from Chelsea, I imagine it was the plan to just have Babel leaving and bringing Suarez/Adam/Young in.

Quick Reply