Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 4th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P0 W0 D0 L0

The Central Midfield Debate

Read 10915 times
      PenguinOfTroy
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,165 posts | 17 
      • One by one the penguins steal my sanity
      Re: The Central Midfield Debate
      Reply #23: Jul 05, 2011 05:46:34 am
      I'm paranoid about injuries (after last season I think that's a fair fear) so having this kind of depth doesn't bother me at all.

The way I see it Gerrard and Lucas are the only sure bets in the midfield. Adam, Hendo, Meireles, and Aquilani will fight for the other spot in a 4-3-3 and in a 4-4-2 it's pretty much the same. The fourth midfield spot will go to whichever winger we bring in (Downing, Mata, N'Zogbia, Lennon)
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #24: Jul 05, 2011 08:12:27 am
      I prefer to see complete central midfielders who can and do do it all. So if we're going with two out and out central midfielders, Stevie and Spearing for me.

If we go, as I think we will, with 3 central midfielders behind a front three of Kuyt, Suarez and Carroll then I'd throw Lucas in there as well.

Shelvey will be loaned out, Poulsen hopefully sold, Meireles more than likely sold, Aquilani and Henderson warming the bench until they manage to convince Kenny to start them.

Agree with all of that.

And the amazing thing is that vast majority of them were already with us when Roy took over and our squad seemed thread bare.

Agree with all of that.

So. Its agreed then. ;D
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #25: Jul 05, 2011 08:26:02 am
       My guess is that we will sign Downing or someone similar, simply because we don't have any left sided options. If we do, he will play left side (as Kenny seems quite into the idea that having bought a player who plays left midfield it's worth trying him out at left midfield, a bit old school but there you go).

Much depends then upon whether or not we go with an out and out defensive midfielder. If we do then it's between Lucas, Spearing and Poulsen. Poulsen is long past his best and Spearing isn't quite there yet, so Lucas will get the nod. I personally wouldn't go with this option for a couple of reasons. Firstly, for me he isn't a good enough defensive midfielder to make the sacrifice of all attacking threat from this spot woirth it. We don't exactly look watertight when he plays, opposing central midfielders don't exactly get snuffed out when he plays, and we rarely dominate teams physically when he plays. Secondly, I think with our attacking options we would be better suited to "going for it" more than we do.

If we do ditch the DM role, then Lucas is thrown into the melting pot to compete with Aquilani, Mereiles (if he's still here), Henderson, Cole and Adam (if we sign him). I'm assuming/stating an obvious fact that Gerrard will play when fit, so that means it's a bit of a connundrum.

I don't quite go along with the problem being a "mouthwatering" one, simply because until Henderson develops I don't think we are exactly overloaded with quality, but my guess is that our midfield will either look like this:

Downing      Lucas        Gerrard         Kuyt   

or this if we ditch the DM:

Downing     Gerrard      Mereiles         Henderson.

The reality is though, that Gerrard apart there is little to choose between most of the others. For none of them (even including Cole and Poulsen IMHO) is getting into the team a completely lost cause, so it'sall to play for come the new season.     
      kb2x
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,841 posts | 215 
      • #WeComeNotToPlay
      Reply #26: Jul 05, 2011 09:18:26 am
      Play a 3-4-3 next season....

Reina

Agger                 Carra       Skrtel

Lucas

Johnson                       Gerrard

Aquilani/Meireles (whoever stays)

Kuyt                              Carroll                 Suarez

Subs: Doni, Henderson, Spearing, Cole, Pacheco, Kyrgiakos, Kelly
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,985 posts | 5043 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #27: Jul 05, 2011 10:49:05 am
      A difficult but welcome problem IMO, for to long now we have struggled to field a ideal midfield that more or less would pick itself every week, not so long ago we had Alonso and Mascherano lining up with Ste G, with either Lucas or even Garcia if you go back to '05', Masch and Lucas providing the defensive responsibilities, and Xabi, Ste, and Garcia combining the attacking/passing/creativity, in effect we had a solid back 4/5 with a positive attacking midfield and a powerful front line, IMO we have not had the consistency especially from  midfield since Xabi and Masch were in the side, ie;(how many times did Gerrard drag us from the sh*t when those two went) because no one else was up to it, in other words Alonso and Masch have never been re-placed. 

There have been many different combinations with differing players for the last 2/3 seasons and none have come close as to the Xabi/Masch days, More often than not Rafa's midfield picked itself, Kenny hasn't got that luxury as yet, but he will and the signings he has/will bring in will solve this, as to who will be KK's first chioce midfield is anyone's guess, it will be down to who the oppo is on the day,how each player feels, fitness/condition etc, one thing for certain is Gerrard will be a shoe-in starter, as he was under Rafa, where Rafa had at times a more moderate approach,Kenny's will  be more attack minded and this is where Aquillani will be favoured for instance rather than maybe Meireles or Spearing, Henderson i feel will be used on the right and team up with GJ,and if Adam comes in he will be used predominately as a left-sided mid-fielder.

Things will be different this season thats for sure,if the likes of Downing comes in that will open even further options including dragging the oppo wide and spreading the play, to often last season we were to narrow, we have to feed Carroll with quality service and to maximise our chances of scoring, i'm not going to pick a midfield just yet,i'm waiting to see who else the King brings in this window.

IKWT   YNWA

racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,666 posts | 3900 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #28: Jul 05, 2011 11:08:49 am
      Three man midfield with the following options...

Lucas/Spearing
      Henderson/Gerrard                      Aquilani/Meireles

Shelvey out on loan.
      Poulson out to grass.

That's what we call fantastic options and strength in midfield.
      danwarb
      • Forum Vladimir Smicer

• 188 posts |
      Reply #29: Jul 05, 2011 07:37:43 pm
      ^^ I like that, 3 across the middle. Gerrard and Lucas plus one.
      jabv
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,335 posts | 184 
      • backs Harvey Elliot's haircut
      Reply #30: Jul 05, 2011 09:19:46 pm
      I'm not really into seeing Henderson as a RM.

But what would make most uncomfortable is seeing Suarez on the left. Too bad we have no proper LW so that we could use Suarez on the right and Kuyt/Carroll as a 9. Anyway I'm specultaing, maybe we'll get N'zogbia :D
      Court LFC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish
      • Started Topic

• 8,496 posts | 182 
      Reply #31: Jul 06, 2011 03:49:55 pm
      Charlie Adam on the verge of completing his move to Anfield this evening.

That certainly takes us to 9 central midfielders. Someone is definitely off, I can't see our bench consisting mainly of Meireles, Aquilani, & Henderson!

My money's on Meireles.
      StevieG123

• 9,716 posts | 65 
      Reply #32: Jul 06, 2011 03:52:36 pm
      Gerrard
      Aquilani
      Adam
      Meireles
      Shelvey
      Henderson
      Poulsen
      Spearing
      Lucas

I would say Shelvey on loan, Poulsen sold, that would leave us with 7 central midfielders, if we play 433 then having that many makes more sense, also if Henderson is used at RM we will have 6 CMs. Looks like Raul may leave too.
      Court LFC
      • Started Topic

• 8,496 posts | 182 
      Reply #33: Jul 06, 2011 03:55:06 pm
      Spearing did well last year filling in for Stevie. But something's telling me he'll be loaned out along with Shelvey. Obviously we know Poulsen probably isn't in Kenny's initial plans.

Gerrard is our most versatile. He can play anywhere. So I wouldn't count on him to come straight in to CM spot, probably go in behind Carrol or Suarez (or both).

Possibly Lucas will hold his position at CM? So to choose from we've got; Henderson, Meireles, Aquilani & now Adam.

Hmm...
      Tayls

• 5,378 posts | 510 
      Reply #34: Jul 06, 2011 04:07:32 pm
      I think if Spearo goes out on loan again Court that'll be the last we'll see of him in a red shirt. My guess is we'll keep him as cover for Lucas.

Considering Adam's joined I'm starting to believe Meireles might well be on his way out. I expect Shelvey to go out on loan somewhere, and Poulsen isn't coming near the first team.

So that leaves us with (if Meireles does leave):

Gerrard
      Aquilani
      Adam
      Henderson
      Lucas
      Spearing

I don't expect Henderson to start centrally, at first at least. It does seem like we'll be playing a formation that utilises three central midfielders.

No one should be complaining about our improving squad depth though. So what if we have lots of CM's, more class competition means better performances for the starters.

I'm hoping Meireles stays with us and we can line up with a starting three of Lucas - Gerrard - Meireles. Spearo backing up Lucas, Adam backing up Gerrard and Aquilani competing with Meireles.
      The Last King of Scotland
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 861 posts | 21 
      Reply #35: Jul 06, 2011 04:10:49 pm
      It's going to be very interesting to see how we line up for the most part next season.

Surely one of Meireles or Aquilani will not be at the club.
      thilinarajapakshe
      • On Trial

• 2 posts |
      Reply #36: Jul 06, 2011 05:00:10 pm
      I believe Steven Gerrard will definitely be on the pitch as long as he is fit and raring to go. Let's not forget that no matter how good the rest of the midfielders are (I'm not saying they are better than Stevie) , Stevie is our captain and our talisman. I can't even remember how many times he has turned a game around for Liverpool with an unbelievable long range shot. Not for naught is he called the "Powerhouse" and "Captain Fantastic".

That said, Lucas was our player of the year last season, so I think he too would be on the pitch.

But with such a host of talent at his disposal, it is difficult to say what our King would do. Kenny is a superb manager, the best Liverpool could have so I am confident that whatever he decides to do would be best for our beloved club.
      The Last King of Scotland
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 861 posts | 21 
      Reply #37: Jul 06, 2011 05:01:41 pm
      What about this:

LW Suarez Henderson

Lucas Gerrard
      ozi_wozzy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,552 posts | 304 
      Reply #38: Jul 06, 2011 05:50:00 pm
      it's a nice problem to have. personally i think we should play two holding midfielders like we had with mascha (as the destroyer) and henderson (as the distributor). then have stevie g as attacker.  could have

reina
      kelly               carra/skrtl                      agger                johnson

henderson                   lucas

stevie

suarez                                             adam

big geordie

lefty1896
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,700 posts | 23 
      • He scores a goal and the kop goes wild...
      Reply #39: Jul 06, 2011 05:53:35 pm
      Here's an interesting one, if we say Poulsen goes to Bolivia or somewhere far away, and Shelvey gets loaned out. Say Lucas and Spearing are injured whats your starting midfield line up between Gerrard Henderson Adam Meireles and Aquilani.
      danwarb
      • Forum Vladimir Smicer

• 188 posts |
      Reply #40: Jul 06, 2011 06:13:56 pm
      ^^ Gerrard & Aquilani or Meireles. I think they offer the most both defensively and on the ball in open play.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,666 posts | 3900 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #41: Jul 06, 2011 06:14:29 pm
      So is Clarke going to utilise the Chelsea Diamond? Obviously we have huge strenght in depth now. Can see us shifting formations a lot. Much like we did last year. Reckon Stevie will be looked after by taking some load off
      leeboy30
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,409 posts | 64 
      Reply #42: Jul 06, 2011 08:38:46 pm
      it's a nice problem to have. personally I think we should play two holding midfielders like we had with mascha (as the destroyer) and henderson (as the distributor). then have stevie g as attacker.  could have

reina
      kelly               carra/skrtl                      agger                johnson

stevie

big geordie

Leave kuyt and meireles out in place of hendo and adam?? Aqua on the bench hendo starting?? No chance for me ive still got maxi/meireles on the left from what we've got so far..

really dont get hendersons place in the team above all else, i know what adam gives but if we get a left winger especially ive got hendo last in the pecking order
      robbieisgod23/9
      Reply #43: Jul 06, 2011 09:02:17 pm
      it's a nice problem to have. personally I think we should play two holding midfielders like we had with mascha (as the destroyer) and henderson (as the distributor). then have stevie g as attacker.  could have

reina

stevie

big geordie

i cant see adam playing there, if anything where henderson is.. then downing (presuming that will be done ) where adam is
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #44: Jul 07, 2011 01:26:39 pm
      Thats 9 then.

Gerrard, Lucas, Henderson, Meireles, Spearing, Aquilani, Shelvey, Poulsen.
      8 Central Midfielders within our first team 25 man squad. With Charlie Adam being lined up to be brought to Anfield. That would take us to 9.
      Who will be our starters? Bench warmers? Be cast in to a different position? Or sold before the transfer window shuts?

Discuss.

Or is it called "Options" ?
      Reslivo
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,490 posts | 521 
      Reply #45: Jul 07, 2011 01:37:05 pm
      Don't see why people are discussing formations when it's quite obvious that we don't even play a set formation.

The CMs who would start, sure, I can understand that. But formations? Baffling... ???

Quick Reply