Trending Topics

Next match: Betis v LFC [Friendly] Sat 27th Jul @ 12:30 am
      Acrisure Stadium

Today is the 16th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P0 W0 D0 L0

What lengths have you gone to watch a Liverpool game.

Read 6648 times
      Venison 86
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 5,157 posts | 205 
      What lengths have you gone to watch a Liverpool game.
      Sep 08, 2011 04:54:54 pm
      I was wondering what lengths you or your mates have gone to, to see Liverpool play?

Have you blagged your way across Europe?

Hitchhiked the length of Britain?

Thrown away your job to make a match?
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,517 posts | 8685 
      Re: What lengths have you gone to watch a Liverpool game.
      Reply #1: Sep 08, 2011 04:58:36 pm
      Jibbed off a date with a girl and the chance to go see Ocean Colour Scene to see us smash Sion 6-2!!
      Venison 86
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 5,157 posts | 205 
      Reply #2: Sep 08, 2011 05:14:02 pm
      Jibbed off a date with a girl and the chance to go see Ocean Colour Scene to see us smash Sion 6-2!!

Only right Pete, you didnt slope of early to catch the end did you I thought it finished 6-3  :lmao:
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #3: Sep 08, 2011 05:19:40 pm
      I used to have to set out at 11.00 , catch a bus to Leigh, catch a bus to Liverpool, walk it from the Ice Rink to the ground, arriving about 1.30 ..... every game. Then the same journey back arriving home about 8.30..... thanks to that b***ard Beeching shutting Leigh's train station in 1969. Before that I just used to walk it from Lime Street station to the ground, watch the game, walk it back to Lime St then train back to Leigh. Used to hitch it to Anfield down the east lancs sometimes when money was tight, but never done any of the Euro-adventures abroad.

Travelled to Wembley in 1977 on my own on a coach full of United fans.... the trip back was as delightful as you can imagine with a coach full of drunken celebrating mancs.     
      BLEED_RED
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 604 posts | 22 
      • American Kopite
      Reply #4: Sep 08, 2011 06:17:04 pm
      Living in the States some of the games can be a bit early especially the early kickoffs. I usually don't go to the bar for the early ones but my friend wanted to go because he is a big Newcastle fan and they were playing Sunderland that day.

So when we played Arsenal in the morning I hopped on a train at 5am to be in NYC by 7 to watch a game with him and be completely hammered by 8am. All in all it wasn't a huge sacrifice but getting up at 4am to travel all of 25 miles into NYC was a bit brutal.
      Oh and forgot about this one. One time I told my boss I had the stomach flu and sat in a bathroom stall for 45 minutes to watch the second half of a game I streamed off my phone  ;D
      gazza31
      • Banned

• 2,751 posts | 35 
      Reply #5: Sep 08, 2011 06:23:42 pm
      I used to have to set out at 11.00 , catch a bus to Leigh, catch a bus to Liverpool, walk it from the Ice Rink to the ground, arriving about 1.30 ..... every game. Then the same journey back arriving home about 8.30..... thanks to that b***ard Beeching shutting Leigh's train station in 1969. Before that I just used to walk it from Lime Street station to the ground, watch the game, walk it back to Lime St then train back to Leigh. Used to hitch it
      to Anfield down the east lancs sometimes when money was tight, but never done any of the Euro-adventures abroad.

Travelled to Wembley in 1977 on my own on a coach full of United fans.... the trip back was
      as delightful as you can imagine with a coach full of drunken celebrating mancs.     

Ah leyth married a girl from there, just amazed you so lazy you catch a bus into leyth.  ;)
      wegot5bigears
      • Forum Geoff Strong

• 201 posts |
      Reply #6: Sep 08, 2011 06:58:41 pm
      my hardest was trying to convince the wife to watch lfc v birmingham in fa cup on 21st march 4/5 year ago the game we won 7/0 at st andrews .It was only hard because we got married that day about 1 hour before in cyprus, i said i would do washing and cleaning for 1 week for every goal was not my best deal ever  :'(
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #7: Sep 08, 2011 07:33:30 pm

Ah leyth married a girl from there, just amazed you so lazy you catch a bus into leyth.  ;)

I used to live on Higher Folds Estate mate, a fair way from Leigh Town Centre(and no one enjoyed walking through Higher Folds without a dog by their side :) )
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #8: Sep 08, 2011 07:35:45 pm
      I missed my step-sisters wedding.
      gazza31
      • Banned

• 2,751 posts | 35 
      Reply #9: Sep 08, 2011 07:37:06 pm
      I used to live on Higher Folds Estate mate, a fair way from Leigh Town Centre(and no one enjoyed walking through Higher Folds without a dog by their side :) )

Even worse now, but it's only a cock stride as me father in law would say. Holden road was the Mrs street then they moved to Atherton.
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #10: Sep 08, 2011 07:42:03 pm
      I've had a few relationships end with one of the reasons being "You care about that team too much!" so i guess that counts as a length ive gone? :D

Apart from that, being an overseas fan most of mine is just doing different things just to catch a match. Like ditching my mates when out clubbing to hit the sports bar in Adelaide to watch us, or catch a $20 taxi into the same bar to watch a match as my buddy didn't have the channel. And then in LA, opening match against spurs a couple years ago, making my girl get up early to drive me to a bar in Santa Monica to watch the match. Pretty hammered by 10am i was, didn't help the drinking with the fact we lost :D

Nothing major, but thats the best i got. Im sure you lot over the pond have got a lot more outrageous tales!
      hobbes2702
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 569 posts | 34 
      Reply #11: Sep 08, 2011 07:46:27 pm
      Since I live in Texas and have never been to the UK I have to watch on TV. However one day at work, (I am a student and work at BestBuy) another employee and I wanted to watch the game on our DirecTv box but our manager had placed a code on the box. We called DirecTv and told them a customer had accidentally placed a code on our box and if they could reset it. They could not however they did tell us how to add another code to the box that would unlock it even if the first code was not typed in.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #12: Sep 08, 2011 07:46:41 pm
      Even worse now, but it's only a cock stride as me father in law would say. Holden road was the Mrs street then they moved to Atherton.

I live just off Holden Road mate.... near Lilford Park. 
      Gow
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,531 posts | 282 
      Reply #13: Sep 08, 2011 07:53:09 pm
      Boss thread this! My auntie got married on derby day. I was only a teenager so I had to go the wedding, but I had a radio in my inside pocket of my suit jacket with the earphones coming up my sleeve. Me and my uncle had an earphone each and they scored. We both went 'bas**rds'. Luckily for us the service had ended and they were only taking pictures on the altar!
      mattmcg
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,410 posts | 103 
      Reply #14: Sep 08, 2011 08:11:54 pm
      I sat with Leeds fans at Elland Road to watch Liverpool win 2-1 like a year after going to Anfield for the first time and seeing Leeds beat us 3-1.

They went 1 up so it was awkward as F**k with their fans (including my Dad) jumping up and down like lunatics.  I couldn't cheer or look remotely happy when we scored twice in fear of being killed, but I do remember our fans in the away end were incredible the whole game, even when 1 nil down.  Certainly a lot of anti-United songs in the Leeds songbook which made me feel somewhat more secure in my surroundings.

I would never sit in opposing fan's sections again.  It took so much away from the atmosphere and enjoying the game, even though we won. I was only 11 at the time so it was a scary feeling even though I was with me Dad.  It was good banter with him and another Leeds fan on the way back home. :)
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #15: Sep 08, 2011 08:28:41 pm
       After doing a night shift at Fords going to Villa Park for the F.A.Cup semi final against Chelsea in 1965 and not getting home till 10-30pm,I was totally nackered but also totally happy it had been one fantastic day.
       This one is for my dear old Dad who pedalled to Preston on his Bike in the late 1940s to see the mighty REDS,now that took some doing on those old bikes.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,517 posts | 8685 
      Reply #16: Sep 08, 2011 09:40:56 pm
      Only right Pete, you didnt slope of early to catch the end did you I thought it finished 6-3  :lmao:

At first I thought it was 6-3, then convinced myself it wasn't and I just couldn't be arsed looking it up.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,218 posts | 3393 
      Reply #17: Sep 08, 2011 09:45:04 pm
      Me an our Josh bunked on the Ferry for when we played Tranmere in the Cup in 2001, basically cos we knew they weren't gonna throw us off it in the middle of the Mersey. We were only 10 at the time. Bunked the train back an all.

Skipped me cousins wedding for a match against Bolton in 2003. Think we lost it if I remember rightly.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,340 posts | 2838 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #18: Sep 08, 2011 11:18:47 pm
      The first time I went to Europe, in April earlier this year, I was supposed to stay in Milan/Rome for 5 days during a course I was doing there, then go back home. However, when I realized there was a Liverpool game in the weekend I should be coming back, I became obsessed with the idea of going there and that's what I did - extended my stay in Europe until the end of the week.

I also wanted to attend the Anfield Experience that was happening on a Thursday morning, so I had to fly from Rome to London on the Wednesday night, just after my final classes at the course finished - I had little time to get to the airport so I remember being very nervous on my way there, in panic with fear of missing that flight, but all went well and I arrived in London at midnight +/-.

I had a reservation in a hostel in London but I didn't even sleep cause I had to take a train to Liverpool at 5:30am or else I wouldn't arrive in time for the Experience. It was boss after all, but a very tiring experience! Watched the game on the Saturday and then on the Sunday morning I had to go to Manchester airport and finally Milan, from where my flight back to Rio would depart later that day.

Loved the city and the people I met there, will certainly go back as soon as possible. Totally worth it.
      kop1
      • CGS L.F.C
      • Forum Gary McAllister

• 90 posts |
      Reply #19: Sep 08, 2011 11:19:38 pm
      well to start off i  thrown a sickie at work ,on the day we played arsenal in the champion`s league . i was on pins so i decided to clean the gutters out one side of the house went fine the other didnt  the ladder moved i went down like a bag of sh*te, i hit the floor  broke my arm cut my head   but all i could think about was the match  later on   wife took me to the hosi they bandaged me up put my arm in a cast  we got out of the hospital at 16.55  i was at anfield at 19.05 , i never felt no pain that night  i would do the same again and again ;D
      kenny
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,314 posts | 76 
      Reply #20: Sep 08, 2011 11:28:11 pm
      Years ago id have F**k all money, only enough for boat and match ticket.

Have slept in the back of a trailer few times on the docks while waiting for the early boat home.

Last time being "That Night in May"

MsGerrard
      Reply #21: Sep 08, 2011 11:45:18 pm
      Some great stories in here  ;D

Two outstanding memories for me where when we were playing Derby at the Baseball Ground, yes that long ago  :laugh: and about half an hour before we were due to go to the match, my Dad had a load of manure delivered on the drive at the back of the car  :mad: there we were shovelling it into the wheelbarrow so we could get the car out....we made it to the match - only just though, I wonder why no-one wanted to stand near us that day  :laugh:

When my Sister announced that she was getting married on 23rd August, I quickly checked the fixture list  ;) Hmmm, playing Leicester at Filbert Street, so after a morning registry office wedding we all traisped down to Filbert Street and took our seats, dressed in our Wedding attire  :D unfortunately Leicester won, they were a bit of a bogey team to Liverpool in those days, the Groom was happy, the bride wasn't, it made the front page of the local paper  :laugh:
      KennyIsKing
      • Banned

• 4,628 posts | 129 
      Reply #22: Sep 08, 2011 11:50:31 pm
      I sat in a room full of mancs to watch Istanbul.

They had a really big TV, and a fridge full of beer.

They were pissing themselves laughing at me at half time.

My sis was there, and I said to her "It's not over yet"

When we won she became convinced I was a witch ;D

oh, and the mancs shut up, as I danced round the room farting in their faces.

Quick Reply