Trending Topics

Next match: Betis v LFC [Friendly] Sat 27th Jul @ 12:30 am
      Acrisure Stadium

Today is the 16th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P0 W0 D0 L0

Hicks and Gillette still seeking Damages.

Read 30409 times
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,517 posts | 8685 
      Re: Hicks and Gillette still seeking Damages.
      Reply #69: Mar 09, 2012 03:15:39 pm
      Former Liverpool FC owner Tom Hicks claims he had 10 bidders keen to invest in club

OUSTED former Liverpool FC owner Tom Hicks has claimed he had 10 new bidders keen to invest in the club.

The Texan’s lawyers told a court he had secured interest from US hedge funds which he was hoping to take forward after repeatedly failing to meet Royal Bank of Scotland deadlines to pay back £237m of debt.

Mr Hicks and fellow former owner George Gillett have outlined a series of claims that Liverpool was forcibly wrenched from their grasp by RBS and the Reds’ English directors – then-club chairman Sir Martin Broughton, Christian Purslow and Ian Ayre.

The club was eventually sold for £300m, which the Americans say was far below its true value.

In the high court yesterday Clyde and Co, representing Mr Hicks, alleged:

Hedge fund Mill Financial was prepared to offer up to £385m for Liverpool, £85m more than its eventual sale price to Boston-based New England Sports Ventures.

The English directors thought a bid from Meriton Incubator, a vehicle for the Singaporean billionaire Peter Lim, was vastly superior to NESV’s.

Sir Martin deliberately scuppered Mr Hicks’s refinancing proposal from Blackstone GSO Capital in September 2010 by “taking the extraordinary step of leaking its details to the press as a way of preventing it coming to fruition”.

Clyde and Co produced an email from Liverpool’s current managing director Mr Ayre to Sir Martin, Mr Purslow and financial director Ian Nash apparently debating how they could legitimately rebuff a superior offer from Blackstone GSO Capital in favour of an “inferior” bid from Capital NESV.

It read: “Surely our main issue is how we legally turn down Hicks – justify taking a deal that offers, I suspect, a lower value, keeps £150m of debt and no actual guarantee of stadium.”

In strongly worded submissions to the Royal Courts of Justice in London, Mr Hicks’s legal team said: “The English directors’ brief from RBS appears to have been to secure the sale of the assets as quickly as possible.

“The English directors and RBS deliberately blocked the former owners from obtaining a refinance.

“Refinance was available and RBS could have been repaid in full, but did not want that to happen.

“They were so fixed on their objective of severing all links between the club and the former owners that a commercial approach was not followed.”

Mr Hicks and Mr Gillett also allege Sir Martin failed to disclose to them he was told by RBS it would not place the club into administration if it was not paid by October 15, 2010.

The court was also shown an email from Sir Martin to Mr Hicks and Mr Gillett on September 16, 2010, which appeared to demonstrate his preference to how the sale should proceed.

It read: “I thought I had made it clear that while the proposal you put forward, i.e. ‘Hicks in control, Hicks refinances, everything is rosy’, was a complete non-starter.

“The same economic effect could be achieved by a different but credible proposal, i.e. ‘Blackstone buys, owners out, debt reduced, stadium on way’.”

Clyde and Co said Mill Financial was told by RBS that Liverpool’s £237m debt was not for sale, leading to the hedge fund trying to buy the club rather than paying off the bank.

Clyde and Co said: “The refusal of a lender to contemplate a refinance in which it would be paid off is extraordinary.

“The conduct of RBS shows the degree to which what had occurred had departed from the norm.

“RBS was not just interested as a lender, but apparently had its own agenda.”

Further correspondence was put before the court including a message from Pete Edelman, RBS’ observer on the board of Kop Football, Kop Holdings and Liverpool FC, instructing Barclays Capital it should, “go back to all possible parties... and say that there is no reserve price and there is a deadline of say two weeks and we will sell then (explicitly or implicitly – at almost any price).”

Mr Hicks alleged Sir Martin held a meeting with NESV on October 4, 2010, informing John Henry he was the outside bidder, but only narrowly, giving him a “steer” as to the level of bid needed. That led to a revised offer the next day, which was £4m higher than Meriton’s proposed deal.

More details emerged yesterday of Mr Hicks’ account of Mill Financial’s movements.

The court was told by his legal team: “Mill Financial was appalled to discover what had occurred. Mill had a scheduled meeting with Sir Martin on October 7 to discuss its bid, which was then cancelled.

“The English director did not go back to Mill and inform it there was a new higher bid and invite it to revise its bid.

“On October 13, in increasing desperation, Mill submitted a revised offer to beat any other offer by £10m, up to a ceiling of £385m, and to provide £50m for player transfers and to continue its earlier offer to provide £100m towards to the new stadium.

“Later the same day, Mill increased its £10m premium to £20m.

“By then it was too late.”

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/liverpool-fc/liverpool-fc-news/2012/03/09/former-liverpool-fc-owner-tom-hicks-claims-he-had-10-bidders-keen-to-invest-in-club-100252-30493782/

They turned down potentially better bids - ones that may have cleared our debt - all to ensure the Broughton-led sale to FSG went through. Highly suspicious - no?

And one of the (much) better bids was Huang's CIC-backed bid. Which mysteriously leaked onto the front pages, forcing the Chinese to back out as their confidence had been abused. I wonder who leaked that and why?

As great as it was to get rid of the cowboys - this whole sale smells very funny and does not look like it was the best deal at the time for the club.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #70: Mar 09, 2012 03:55:27 pm

They turned down potentially better bids - ones that may have cleared our debt - all to ensure the Broughton-led sale to FSG went through. Highly suspicious - no?

And one of the (much) better bids was Huang's CIC-backed bid. Which mysteriously leaked onto the front pages, forcing the Chinese to back out as their confidence had been abused. I wonder who leaked that and why?

As great as it was to get rid of the cowboys - this whole sale smells very funny and does not look like it was the best deal at the time for the club.

I don't think CIC ever admitted being part of Huang's bid mate. In fact I think that was part of the problem, no one seemed to be behind Huang's bid, and Huang himself certainly didn't have the money. A lot of worries that the bid would have to be financed eventually through debt on the club?

The FSG bid originally only offered to reduce the debt by half, reading the above “Surely our main issue is how we legally turn down Hicks – justify taking a deal that offers, I suspect, a lower value, keeps £150m of debt and no actual guarantee of stadium.” which in essence is the same problem highlighted by Purslow in his infamous Email, makes one a little worried about where we are actually at now.

Hopefully they made the best deal available for the good of Liverpool FC, whether that was the most profitable deal or not.  Sometimes a bird in the hand is worth two in the Bush, and I think there was a reluctance on the part of many potential buyers to actually put a firm bid in.

Not really that unusual in business to not take the highest bid, just as when you get quotes for work done you don't always choose the lowest, you try to choose the best, HOPEFULLY WE HAVE, but only time will tell.
      AZPatriot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #71: Mar 09, 2012 04:15:00 pm
      If for some crazy reason Hicks & Gillette are successful in their claim where do FSG stand and would it mean a re-sale of the club and a possible return of the previous regime at the club?

Wonder if purslow would give evidence in support of his previous owners to back their claim that they were "Epically Swindled" ? & i wonder who these 10 bidders were.

Feel uneasy about this.  ???

Shiteholes dropped their suit last year against FSG so that is not coming back, I suppose if they could prove anything there would be a monetary judgement against RBS/MB/IA.

Would not worry about this at all Shabs, they are not coming back.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,481 posts | 4596 
      Reply #72: Mar 09, 2012 04:21:17 pm

Shiteholes dropped their suit last year against FSG so that is not coming back, I suppose if they could prove anything there would be a monetary judgement against RBS/MB/IA.

Would not worry about this at all Shabs, they are not coming back.

Huyton Red does raise some good questions though,i still think this may get ugly.
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #73: Mar 09, 2012 04:26:09 pm
      Wouldnt believe a word coming out of Hicks our his legal teams mouth but what there is no doubt is FSG got the club for a steal.

If Hicks is telling the truth which I highly doubt it he should name the 10 interested parties and get letters from them stating their interest at the time.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,044 posts | 3967 
      Reply #74: Mar 09, 2012 04:28:58 pm
      There was some urgency at the time if I remember which involved getting a deal sorted before H&G could refinance, their CV was not exactly outstanding and Huang did not appear to be as financially transparent as he could be.
      The priority was getting shut of those that were responsible for LFC hemorrhaging money, hindsight is a wonderful thing as are the choices it can present.
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #75: Mar 09, 2012 04:36:18 pm
      If there was 10 parties interested why exactly was Hicks trying to refinance and hang on. If CIC were backing Kenny Huang and it is a big If, there probably would have being a lot more money for the stadium and players.

Were FSG the best option I dont know I dont know who else was interested. I'm just praying the 150 million debt mentioned by Ayres is a lie because it would go completely against what Henry told us.

Remember though this is Hicks side of the story, which is about as believeable as Evra wanting to shake Suarez hand.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,481 posts | 4596 
      Reply #76: Mar 09, 2012 04:52:00 pm
      Just for a second think, if hicks is at all successful in this bid and all goes in his favour who compensates him?
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #77: Mar 09, 2012 04:55:34 pm
      Isnt it against RBS and the former directors of the club, cant see him being successful mate, only argument he has is club was sold on the cheap the rest of his arguments is bollocks. If there was 10 interested parties why hasnt he produced them.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,481 posts | 4596 
      Reply #78: Mar 09, 2012 05:01:04 pm
      Isnt it against RBS and the former directors of the club, cant see him being successful mate, only argument he has is club was sold on the cheap the rest of his arguments is bollocks. If there was 10 interested parties why hasnt he produced them.

Corbally we cannot discount out any scenario with this c**t, we may end up having purslime backing him once more with his claim,If had F**k all to show i dont think he would have put up the fight,he may have a loop hole to expose.
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #79: Mar 09, 2012 05:01:57 pm
      Wasnt Purslow less than complimentary in an email about FSGs bid
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,481 posts | 4596 
      Reply #80: Mar 09, 2012 05:08:00 pm

Yes mate he was hence the reason he was dispatched by FSG after this email emerged.
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #81: Mar 09, 2012 05:09:37 pm
      I cant see him being successful mate unless he produces solid evidence about these 10 interested parties, which I cant see happening
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,990 posts | 5048 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #82: Mar 09, 2012 05:14:28 pm
      What a pair of Horrible Kunts these two really are, they thought they could come over here buy one of the most famous club's in world sporting history on the cheap, by lending the money and then pass their debt onto a company they new would go under, if that wasn't enough they under funded and undermined the then manager who gave the club's 5th European cup and champions of Europe,

then asset stripped the club and witheld funds from sales, then when the sh*t hit the fan blame everyone else but themselves, and for the second time try and get their greedy f***in hands on some kind of recompense,

EAT sh*t AND DIE   MOTHER FUCKERS   :mad:  :mad:
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #83: Mar 09, 2012 05:28:18 pm

The Purslow E-mail :-

"To get it straight, I think we should avoid the natural temptation to jump straight in to the deal with NESV. Whilst they are charming, intelligent and credible their bid is by any standards at the extreme bottom end of the 'right deal' threshold we set for ourselves: it only reduces debt by less than half and is I feel unlikely to yield incremental equity to fund a stadium.

"They may say they have money if necessary but I do not take this very seriously. Their eyes only lit up at the idea of other opportunity improvements. An American deal guy simply can't avoid using other people's money if they can.

"There is no extra money on the table to enable short-term investment in what remains a squad palpably needing more quality if we are to be definitively top four. New American sport team owners with the senior guy being a hedge fund manager could not be worst [sic] from an image standpoint, which is an issue for us independents. I have not even talked about valuation. I leave that to other members of the board. So what is positive? Answer, they exist. Which is not a lot, but it is not to be underestimated in importance."

Purslow added that the board should "double check that none of the possibles who have come and gone in the last 18 months to apparent levels lower than Sharjah but higher than NESV are not there. So I repeat this is a bottom of the barrel outcome."

Hardly supportive of the FSG bid ..... basically saying they were better than nothing.
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #84: Mar 09, 2012 05:32:30 pm
      Ive less trust in Purslow though than Hicks if that is possible. Obviously if the the email is taken at face value it is hardly a glowing reference to FSG.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #85: Mar 09, 2012 05:36:14 pm
      Hahaha excellent Skip.
      Did you see when Mr Toad was evicted from Toad Hall if I'm not mistaken by the the bailiffs Stoat & Weasle Ltd and ended up in jail for bullshitting yet again?
      He was warned previously by the riverbank authorities that any repeat of his bullshitting activities would land him in very hot water, he couldn't help himself and was locked up. There is a striking similarity with the statements made yesterday by those in a superior position of law and H&G acting the goat.

My Learned Friend     .......      scuse the intentional pun.
       ;D
      LFCexiled
      Reply #86: Mar 09, 2012 05:49:39 pm
      Hang on Stu.
      I am aware that Mr Toad is delusional , egotistical, faddish, loveable and obsessional all wrapped up in green skin.... I played that character in the primary school play.
      You now know the secret why I am what I am today.
       ;D

One might suspect it is because you used to lick yourself a lot:

http://news.sky.com/home/article/1292957

;D
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #87: Mar 09, 2012 05:55:10 pm
      it only reduces debt by less than half

I found this excerpt interesting, if you read it right, in that; it may put the e-mail in some sort of context (time-line wise). To me It actually shows: i) how much debt H & G had loaded on to the Club and  ii) At the time of writing; Purslow was looking for H & G to lose as little as possible. They were his paymasters at the time of this e-mail and he was very much still running with the fox here.

Hardly supportive of the FSG bid ..... basically saying they were better than nothing.

Skip forward to when the toad Purslow realised he was backing a loser and like a rat he jumped ship. Out of the courthouse, side by side with the more honourable Broughton, punching the air. Hardly the actions of a man who was genuinely concerned about NESV; eh?

Nah lads 'n' ladies, in the e-mail, he was saying what his paymasters needed to hear - nothing more, nothing less. Our club is debt free, all bar some 'working capital', which all clubs have - like an overdraft facility, if you like - and that's a fact.

Purslow ran with the foxes and hunted with the hounds because it suited him.

Hicks and Gillett can go get fu**ed with a scabby Dog's tool.  >:D

s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #88: Mar 09, 2012 06:01:06 pm

I found this excerpt interesting, if you read it right, in that; it may put the e-mail in some sort of context (time-line wise). To me It actually shows: i) how much debt H & G had loaded on to the Club and  ii) At the time of writing; Purslow was looking for H & G to lose as little as possible. They were his paymasters at the time of this e-mail and he was very much still running with the fox here.

Skip forward to when the toad Purslow realised he was backing a loser and like a rat he jumped ship. Out of the courthouse, side by side with the more honourable Broughton, punching the air. Hardly the actions of a man who was genuinely concerned about NESV; eh?

Nah lads 'n' ladies, in the e-mail, he was saying what his paymasters needed to hear - nothing more, nothing less. Our club is debt free, all bar some 'working capital', which all clubs have - like an overdraft facility, if you like - and that's a fact.

The big problem with that argument is that Ayres has said the same thing mate :-

Clyde and Co produced an email from Liverpool’s current managing director Mr Ayre to Sir Martin, Mr Purslow and financial director Ian Nash apparently debating how they could legitimately rebuff a superior offer from Blackstone GSO Capital in favour of an “inferior” bid from Capital NESV.

It read: “Surely our main issue is how we legally turn down Hicks – justify taking a deal that offers, I suspect, a lower value, keeps £150m of debt and no actual guarantee of stadium.”

Pretty sure I didn't need to highlight anything for your benefit mate, but maybe for others :)
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,044 posts | 3967 
      Reply #89: Mar 09, 2012 06:21:45 pm

Very perceptive summary mouse, Purslow and H&G were as thick as thieves and although the NESV bid may or may not have been the best on the table at the time it did have some credibility and gave the club an escape from our ruinous custodians.
      As posted earlier hindsight is a wonderful concept with the myriad of choices it provides, not available unfortunately in the real time scale and without the luxury of choice.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #90: Mar 09, 2012 06:22:01 pm
      One might suspect it is because you used to lick yourself a lot:

http://news.sky.com/home/article/1292957

;D

Can't keep a secret for two minutes round here !
       ;D
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #91: Mar 09, 2012 06:28:43 pm
      The big problem with that argument is that Ayres has said the same thing mate :-

My apologies S@int. I'd come to this cold and hadn't read the previous posts and reports. I was assuming there was only reference to an old e-mail.

I've now read The Echo's article and it does make for interesting reading indeed.

EDIT: What I do know tho' is that; Broughton kept talking about his fiduciary responsibility (duty of care) to the Club not the owners. In the U.K. he, like the other directors, has to make decisions for the benefit of the company first and not the owners. In the states owners may be better protected and able to stop something which may benefit the Company to their detriment but that won't, necessarily run here. It's been a long while since I studied things of this nature but I'm almost certain of the following:

* When reference is made to 'superior' or 'better' offers, in the e-mail, it's referring to a better deal for the owners NOT the club.

* Broughton will be able to show/ have to show that the 'superior' or 'better' offers weren't to the benefit of the Company. I believe he will, as the case continues. We are only hearing H & G's interpretation of events at the mo.

« Last Edit: Mar 09, 2012 06:48:41 pm by bad boy bubby »

Quick Reply