Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 28th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P5 W1 D3 L1

Nikica Jelavic (Glasgow Rangers)

Read 7906 times
      Macedonian_Red
      • Banned
      • Started Topic

• 4,762 posts | 63 
      Re: Nikica Jelavic (Glasgow Rangers)
      Reply #23: Jan 05, 2012 10:00:00 pm

Nikica Jelavic: 'Of course I am flattered about Liverpool'

by Marcus Kwesi O'Mard
      Thu, Jan 5, 2012 at 4:41PM   

Nikica Jelavic leads the Scottish Premier League in goals with 12 in 22 games for Glasgow Rangers. The Daily Mirror reports his standout performances have caused potential suitors to take notice, and he might leave the club in January for £10 million.

"Every day it appears a new club wants me and that's a little ridiculous," Jelavic said. "I know nothing about any offers. I just want to concentrate on Rangers. I have another two-and-a-half years left of my contract but, if the club decides to sell me, because I know that we are in a difficult financial situation, then fine."

"Of course I am flattered about Liverpool, but I do not know how much truth there is," he added. "My job is to play. Liverpool is a great name but, like I say, the question is how much are they really interested?"

The prolific Croatian joined Rangers in the summer of 2010 from Austrian club Rapid Vienna. He's bagged 33 goals in 53 appearances for the Glasgow giants and they do not want to lose a star player. But the club's financial difficulties could make it hard to keep hold of Jelavic.

Liverpool has the means to pay the reported fee, and the club could see his clinical finishing as a useful addition to its forward corps.

http://www.nesn.com/2012/01/nikica-jelavic-of-course-i-am-flattered-about-liverpool-rangers-striker-linked-with-lfc.html
      Dadorious
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #24: Jan 05, 2012 11:28:57 pm
      Speaking of overseas players "who have had to ply their trade there" and Mark Viduka he is one who blows this argument out of water. 30 games in 37 goals for Celtic then a move to Leeds where he scored 59 goals in 130 games including a remarkable hat trick against us. In saying that Jelavic and Viduka have many similar characteristics to their game.
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,991 posts | 3062 
      Reply #25: Jan 21, 2012 12:49:55 pm
      BBC Radio Scotland reporting before the commentary on St Mirren v Celtic that Liverpool are interested in Jelavic and in pole position.

xSkyline
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,829 posts | 101 
      Reply #26: Jan 21, 2012 12:56:39 pm
      Really like him as an intellectual finisher + Rangers won't hold out for some ridiculous fee as they will easily replace him with their next top striker.
      mattmcg
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,410 posts | 103 
      Reply #27: Jan 21, 2012 01:14:18 pm
      Really like him as an intellectual finisher + Rangers won't hold out for some ridiculous fee as they will easily replace him with their next top striker.

Rangers next top fit striker is David Healy. :D

I'd imagine Rangers would love to hold onto Jelavic as their best player, but their financial situation would probably allow any half decent offer to be accepted.

I like Jelavic and think he would certainly be more prolific than Carroll or Kuyt but it would be another gamble, and we've taken enough of them to last a lifetime, lately.

Taking into account his last season playing for Rapid Vienna, he has been a very prolific goalscorer for the past three years.  The gamble is whether he'll translate that into the Premier League.  :-\
      xSkyline
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,829 posts | 101 
      Reply #28: Jan 21, 2012 01:24:40 pm
      Rangers next top fit striker is David Healy. :D
      Don't knock Naismith, has a pretty good record ;)

Did mean they will just look for another Jelavic on the cheap and get the same kind of goalscoring record of of em.
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,991 posts | 3062 
      Reply #29: Jan 21, 2012 01:38:08 pm
      Naismith out for the season - scottish press saying Rangers are after Grant Holt as replacement.
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #30: Jan 21, 2012 01:39:22 pm
      Naismith out for the season - scottish press saying Rangers are after Grant Holt as replacement.

Norwich wont sell Holt and id doubt he would want to swap starting in the Premier league for the Scotish league, with all due respect.
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,991 posts | 3062 
      Reply #31: Jan 21, 2012 01:41:54 pm
      Norwich wont sell Holt and id doubt he would want to swap starting in the Premier league for the Scotish league, with all due respect.

No I couldn't figure that out either - but it is widely reported.
      KS67
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,475 posts | 463 
      Reply #32: Jan 21, 2012 01:44:20 pm
      Jelavic is a decent player. But I think he isn't quite Liverpool quality.

Deffo would score in England though.
      Tayls
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,378 posts | 510 
      Reply #33: Jan 21, 2012 02:48:45 pm
      Jelavic is a decent player. But I think he isn't quite Liverpool quality.

Deffo would score in England though.

Don't understand that. So he will score in England but won't be Liverpool quality? In my view if he scores enough, he's quality enough.
      xSkyline
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,829 posts | 101 
      Reply #34: Jan 21, 2012 02:52:13 pm
      "They've not made an official bid.

"The reported amount would not be enough to meet the demands of the owner - £6m is not nearly enough."

Guessing they are holding out for about £10m. Surely with their financial situation would have to settle for less? Just hard to determine if he's just a 'SPL goalscorer' or a real one.
      KS67
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,475 posts | 463 
      Reply #35: Jan 21, 2012 03:07:52 pm
      Don't understand that. So he will score in England but won't be Liverpool quality? In my view if he scores enough, he's quality enough.

Well there is a big difference between being able to pick up ten goals in a season in England. And leading the line for a team which ultimately looking to win titles.

Jelavic is a decent player. Because he plays in the SPL it is unfair to suggest he'd be completely sh*te and not score here. But he isn't good enough for us.

I've previously said in this thead he'd be worth a punt, he may well still be for a decent price on the off-chance he is capable of 15-20 league goals. But I'm not really interested in taking a risk on Jelavic. We should really be looking for another player of Suarez quality to play up front.

I'm happy to take a chance on younger players but for someone of Jelavic's age we shouldn't be in a position of 'taking a risk' on players anymore. We should be looking for a quality of player he isn't!
      Swinton
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,984 posts | 42 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest...
      Reply #36: Jan 22, 2012 05:11:05 pm
      Living in Scotland and following Scottish football I'll know a bit more about him than most.

He's a good player, in the SPL. But, what is the SPL in comparison to the EPL? F**k all. Wouldn't even waste our time speculating about him. He's no where near good enough for us. Definitely not for more than £5m, so Rangers can get to F**k.
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #37: Jan 22, 2012 05:46:40 pm
      Not for me...

Not the answer for us.. Stop thinking about gambles.

I'd rather have a w*nk with sandpaper
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,991 posts | 3062 
      Reply #38: Jan 22, 2012 06:18:44 pm
      Not for me...

Not the answer for us.. Stop thinking about gambles.

I'd rather have a w*nk with sandpaper

Don't do it mate - not what it's cracked up to be. I actually found it quite painful. And the glossing on the living room door never looked right
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #39: Jan 22, 2012 06:21:15 pm
      Don't do it mate - not what it's cracked up to be. I actually found it quite painful. And the glossing on the living room door never looked right

:D

YNWABairn
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 835 posts |
      • Anti Modern Football
      Reply #40: Jan 22, 2012 09:29:20 pm
      Needs service to be able to come into a game and do a job upfront, not what we need.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #41: Jan 23, 2012 06:52:47 am
      His Dad:

"Yes, we know about the interest of West Ham, and Queens Park Rangers. But Nikica has five or six clubs interested, including that of the great Liverpool. As for West Ham and QPR, I think that Nikica is more ambitious than that. I think it's most likely that he will sign for Liverpool. But there are still a few days until the end of the transfer window, so we will wait and see."
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #42: Jan 23, 2012 07:34:06 am
      His Dad:

"Yes, we know about the interest of West Ham, and Queens Park Rangers. But Nikica has five or six clubs interested, including that of the great Liverpool. As for West Ham and QPR, I think that Nikica is more ambitious than that. I think it's most likely that he will sign for Liverpool. But there are still a few days until the end of the transfer window, so we will wait and see."

This lad isn't the answer and I'd be utterly surprised if we actually bring him here or are actually interested.

We shouldn't be looking at players also being looked at by West Ham or QPR. I'm not surprised he wants a move here but don't get your hopes up lad.
      Bier
      Reply #43: Jan 24, 2012 10:19:19 am
      I remember a certain Mr Kenny Dalglish coming from Celtic. Anyway, he looks hungry, fit, and certainly knows where the net is and I for one would take him as we do need to bolster our striking options.
      That was a different time. I think you know that the quality of the Scottish league is getting worse and worse by the season. Based on the UEFA ranking they're in the 15th place right now behind countries like Belgium and Denmark. And next season they'll be 18th behind Switzerland, Austria and Cyprus too. And only Celtic and Rangers are keeping them that high in the first place, the rest of the league is far worse. The 3rd placed club of that league is already 20 points behind the 2nd placed Rangers this season, confirms the dominance of those 2 clubs. You could question how hard it is to score in that league if you're the striker at one of those 2 clubs.
      worzelgummidge
      • Forum Titi Camara

• 41 posts |
      Reply #44: Jan 24, 2012 10:49:16 am
      jelavic is NOT good enough for liverpool, defending is not an art form in scotland and its easy to score.

there are some fantastic strikers across europe and liverpool apparently have a few bob so spend some signing one.

we need an out an out striker, luiz suarez is fantastic but he isnt prolific.

re sign fernando torres for 20 million.

under dalglish and in the NEW liverpool team which is full of morale and a happy place to be i honestly think we would see a new happy confident awesome torres.
      Swinton
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,984 posts | 42 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest...
      Reply #45: Jan 24, 2012 02:09:13 pm
      Would genuinely lose all hope in our team if we signed him. Just isn't the answer.

Quick Reply