Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P27 W14 D8 L5

LFC Reds Poll

Q. END OF 2014/15 POLL: Brendan Rodgers - Stay or Go? (Voting was locked on 1st June 2015)

Stay
      (25.4%)
      Go
      (74.6%)

Brendan Rodgers (Liverpool -> Celtic -> Leicester)

Read 3047525 times
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,751 posts | 6722 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Re: Brendan Rodgers - Liverpool FC Manager
      Reply #16445: Apr 26, 2014 02:01:03 pm
      Great F***ing read. Inspiring stuff. Come On You Reds.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #16446: Apr 26, 2014 03:04:47 pm

Yes mate. Up with around ten lads from the pub on May 10 staying the weekend, back on the Monday. Haven't got any tickets, just coming for the ale and the banter. Let us know if you're around Dave, we can have a pint that's cheaper than four quid!

what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,500 posts | 4839 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #16447: Apr 26, 2014 07:39:40 pm
      Yes mate. Up with around ten lads from the pub on May 10 staying the weekend, back on the Monday. Haven't got any tickets, just coming for the ale and the banter. Let us know if you're around Dave, we can have a pint that's cheaper than four quid!

Ha ha I'm used to it now Mick. I will be around town on the 11th so will definitely give you a shout nearer to the time.

srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,256 posts | 4933 
      Reply #16448: Apr 26, 2014 10:42:04 pm
      Brendan 'gets' us and I'm sure even those who had doubts about him seen that from day one.

I'm really looking forward to tomorrow as apart from seeing us beat the chavs it'll no doubt be another chance for Brendan to show his class against that moaning b***ard Mourinho.
      HeighwayToHeaven
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,468 posts | 242 
      • Don't buy The Sun
      Reply #16449: Apr 26, 2014 11:41:14 pm
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,256 posts | 4933 
      Reply #16450: Apr 26, 2014 11:44:09 pm
      Best of luck tomorrow Boss.

Show that bitter, classless arsehole how its done.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,257 posts | 2823 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #16451: Apr 26, 2014 11:45:22 pm
      Best of luck tomorrow Boss.

Show that bitter, classless arsehole how its done.

Is right
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,256 posts | 4933 
      Reply #16452: Apr 26, 2014 11:47:34 pm

I get the feeling Brendan can't wait for tomorrow mate.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,257 posts | 2823 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #16453: Apr 26, 2014 11:50:19 pm
      I get the feeling Brendan can't wait for tomorrow mate.

Me and him both!!

dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,012 posts | 3352 
      Reply #16454: Apr 27, 2014 12:59:13 am
      I'm surprised Mourinho isn't taking the credit for us winning the League by saying how it was he who helped Rodgers many, many moons ago.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,256 posts | 4933 
      Reply #16455: Apr 27, 2014 12:59:54 am
      I'm surprised Mourinho isn't taking the credit for us winning the League by saying how it was he who helped Rodgers many, many moons ago.

It'll come.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,012 posts | 3352 
      Reply #16456: Apr 27, 2014 01:00:52 am

That's what I said to the missus, she too was surprised it took so long.
      CharlesD
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 742 posts | 68 
      Reply #16457: Apr 27, 2014 02:47:24 am
      I'm not going to play the "I've supported him since_____ card" here and frankly I don't give a rat's behind who liked him when and what not.  I'll just say that for now, he's my favorite manager in all of sports.  I'm probably a typical American in that I follow just about every team sport that gets any kind of coverage here and I have a favorite team in each, but Rodgers is my favorite manager or coaching figure out of the whole lot.  Why that is, I can't rightly say, but there is a quality there that goes beyond the on the field management and tactics. 

Regarding the game day management, when it was announced he was the manager, I did a bit of research into what his philosophy was about the game to see if I could get a feel of what his tactical approach would be, and I remember thinking that it would be a change from the way the team was playing and that there would be a learning curve, but I was hopeful that it would work.  Last year I saw promises of his approach working, but I really didn't form my current opinion of him until this year, and a lot of that has to do with the superior coverage we get here with NBC.  Last year Fox had the league and the coverage just wasn't as good.  Now I get all the games and quite a bit of the interviews as well. 

That's the thing that endears me to him the most.  The guy just never says the wrong thing and you never hear him tear down a player in public, even when it's as obvious as anything who had a good or a bad game.  What he says during training might be another thing altogether, but it appears to me that in public this team comes across as a tight knit family.  You watch post match interviews and it's almost like everyone is on the same script.  How much of this attitude is passed from him to the players and how much is just a result of the closeness of the team?  Either way, you have to give him a fair amount of credit for it. 

I think he's an excellent motivator and he builds up and installs confidence in everyone around him.  You can see it in the players, especially the way Sterling ran to him after he scored last week.  You know that he has to have the players feeling invincible.  Maybe a lot of that is the confidence they see in his system when they score goals and win games playing that system, but there appears to be a bit more to it than just that.  Then when he speaks of the supporters you as a fan feel your heart swell with pride, even those of us who are overseas and don't get to attend matches and participate in the atmosphere.  Yeah, winning helps, but as a fan seeing the way he handles the press and hearing the way he builds up his players and the supporters, it makes me feel like I'm more than just a fan of a team, but that I'm part of a large close knit family.  There's just nothing fake about the guy.  He's genuine, and that's more than you can say for a lot of people, let alone sports managers. 

Would I feel this way if the team wasn't playing the way they are right now?  I don't know, but I think I would.  He comes across as a man of genuine passion for the game and for his team, but also as a man of character and integrity.  He's a good football manager, but also a real fine human being.  You can't say that about everyone in this game.
      fishpie
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,570 posts | 212 
      Reply #16458: Apr 27, 2014 06:17:30 am
      I'm not going to play the "I've supported him since_____ card" here and frankly I don't give a rat's behind who liked him when and what not.  I'll just say that for now, he's my favorite manager in all of sports.  I'm probably a typical American in that I follow just about every team sport that gets any kind of coverage here and I have a favorite team in each, but Rodgers is my favorite manager or coaching figure out of the whole lot.  Why that is, I can't rightly say, but there is a quality there that goes beyond the on the field management and tactics. 

Regarding the game day management, when it was announced he was the manager, I did a bit of research into what his philosophy was about the game to see if I could get a feel of what his tactical approach would be, and I remember thinking that it would be a change from the way the team was playing and that there would be a learning curve, but I was hopeful that it would work.  Last year I saw promises of his approach working, but I really didn't form my current opinion of him until this year, and a lot of that has to do with the superior coverage we get here with NBC.  Last year Fox had the league and the coverage just wasn't as good.  Now I get all the games and quite a bit of the interviews as well. 

That's the thing that endears me to him the most.  The guy just never says the wrong thing and you never hear him tear down a player in public, even when it's as obvious as anything who had a good or a bad game.  What he says during training might be another thing altogether, but it appears to me that in public this team comes across as a tight knit family.  You watch post match interviews and it's almost like everyone is on the same script.  How much of this attitude is passed from him to the players and how much is just a result of the closeness of the team?  Either way, you have to give him a fair amount of credit for it. 

I think he's an excellent motivator and he builds up and installs confidence in everyone around him.  You can see it in the players, especially the way Sterling ran to him after he scored last week.  You know that he has to have the players feeling invincible.  Maybe a lot of that is the confidence they see in his system when they score goals and win games playing that system, but there appears to be a bit more to it than just that.  Then when he speaks of the supporters you as a fan feel your heart swell with pride, even those of us who are overseas and don't get to attend matches and participate in the atmosphere.  Yeah, winning helps, but as a fan seeing the way he handles the press and hearing the way he builds up his players and the supporters, it makes me feel like I'm more than just a fan of a team, but that I'm part of a large close knit family.  There's just nothing fake about the guy.  He's genuine, and that's more than you can say for a lot of people, let alone sports managers. 

Would I feel this way if the team wasn't playing the way they are right now?  I don't know, but I think I would.  He comes across as a man of genuine passion for the game and for his team, but also as a man of character and integrity.  He's a good football manager, but also a real fine human being.  You can't say that about everyone in this game.

You're exactly right.
      ORCHARD RED

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #16459: Apr 27, 2014 08:01:02 am
      There's only 2 teams we haven't beaten this season Newcastle and Chelsea. Over to you Brendan!
      lefty1896
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,700 posts | 23 
      • He scores a goal and the kop goes wild...
      Reply #16460: Apr 27, 2014 10:47:26 am
      http://www.theanfieldwrap.com/2014/04/apology-brendan-rodgers/

I think there could be many who would have been of the same opinion as this guy.

Seriously though, what a job he has done.

On our way to glory. Come on redmen!
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #16461: Apr 27, 2014 11:32:01 am

I think there could be many who would have been of the same opinion as this guy.

Interesting. Fair play to the bloke for being truthful.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,256 posts | 4933 
      Reply #16462: Apr 27, 2014 12:29:41 pm

Good read that.

Many of us can relate to that.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,006 posts | 3953 
      Reply #16463: Apr 27, 2014 12:58:44 pm
      The Daily Mail quotes Brendan as saying his one regret this season is that defender Jamie Carragher chose to retire last summer and is not part of Liverpool's title-challenging campaign. 
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #16464: Apr 27, 2014 04:29:58 pm
      Unlucky Brendan!

It just didn't come off today but knowing him he'll use this result for fuel to add to future fires!
      DaktionLFC
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,084 posts | 84 
      Reply #16465: Apr 27, 2014 04:40:04 pm
      I think today will be remembered by BR as a day he will realize how much he has learned but at the same time how much he has still to learn.

few points

1) BR was originally hired by mourinho to help implement a 433 and diamond formation play.  this means, mourinho also would know very well how to counter this tactic.  we played into their hands today... and gerrard's unlucky slip gave them the opening for a goal

2) our inability to increase quality depth really hurt us and it was so evident today.  we are down 1.. in the biggest game of the year and after the sturridge /Flanagan swap.... BR's last attacking option was Aspas....  we are paper thin and because we had only the league to contend with, it definitely helped our cause and minimize our exposure. 

3) this is a huge learning for everyone involved with LFC... including us.  i was proud of the fans today.. even as they scored their 2nd.. they still sang out YNWA.  we have to let the lads know that although we lost today, we must continue and get our results next week.  we must be in a position to pounce on any mistake city makes

Son Of A Gun

• 5,199 posts | 1275 
      Reply #16466: Apr 27, 2014 04:46:42 pm
      Weakened team my arse, if we had the wealth of talent Chelsea had we would have won that game comfortably. It's easy to be successful with so much world class talent and playing anti-football.

A bit more depth to the squad and we would walk it, so Aspas today summed up the lack of depth entirely.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,586 posts | 7140 
      Reply #16467: Apr 27, 2014 04:49:06 pm
      no criticism of Brendan today I would rather lose than win that way its not LFC to be negative.

Quick Reply