Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 29th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P8 W3 D3 L2

The lack of transfer activity

Read 50545 times
      little-Luis:)
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 7,844 posts | 179 
      Re: The lack of transfer activity
      Reply #552: Aug 22, 2012 03:26:07 pm
      Except for you LL.
      Sorry to burst your bubble.

but once I'm fit, I'll do a job, honest!

pretty please?! :)
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,661 posts | 3895 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #553: Aug 22, 2012 03:26:50 pm
      but once I'm fit, I'll do a job, honest!

pretty please?! :)

The real answer was BadBoyB.
      Del Boca Vista
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,008 posts | 209 
      • do do do
      Reply #554: Aug 22, 2012 03:29:07 pm
      the biggest problem right now is evident when you look at our overall squad. cole sticks out like the biggest thumb possible. downing a little less so. we need those two out to bring in players of that 'quality' - not the correct term, perhaps reputation would be closer. if we had man city money we could bring in good replacements and freeze the players out, but we don't, so we can't. bringing them on instead of our kids (ie. cole instead of shelvey) is somewhat understandable given when fit they should be given the chance to prove themselves, but hopefully not too many chances will be given.
      harrydunn08

• 5,927 posts | 969 
      Reply #555: Aug 22, 2012 03:55:04 pm
      ^ I am unsure about Damiao, but I honestly haven't seen him play enough to have much opinion about him.  One player I believe could immediately make us a top 4 team is Thomas Muller.  He has notched up 53 goals 40 assists in 158 total appearances in the last 3 seasons.  He is almost averaging either a goal or an assist in 60% of the games he plays in!!  Add to that the fact that he could play anywhere across a front 3,  he shows great willingness to run through the channels and work off the ball, and he is eager to press the ball when on defense and I think he looks like the perfect fit for Rodgers' team!

*** Unfortunately, Muller (along with Cavani and Damiao) is an unrealistic pipe dream :(
      anoop
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 651 posts |
      • Liverpool fan till i die !!..
      Reply #556: Aug 22, 2012 04:07:29 pm
      ^ I am unsure about Damiao, but I honestly haven't seen him play enough to have much opinion about him.  One player I believe could immediately make us a top 4 team is Thomas Muller.  He has notched up 53 goals 40 assists in 158 total appearances in the last 3 seasons.  He is almost averaging either a goal or an assist in 60% of the games he plays in!!  Add to that the fact that he could play anywhere across a front 3,  he shows great willingness to run through the channels and work off the ball, and he is eager to press the ball when on defense and I think he looks like the perfect fit for Rodgers' team!

*** Unfortunately, Muller (along with Cavani and Damiao) is an unrealistic pipe dream :(

CL may tempt damiao and cavani. But muller? no way he would move from bayern
      George Lucas
      • Banned

• 6,615 posts | 57 
      • JFT96
      Reply #557: Aug 22, 2012 04:15:04 pm
      Only 2 players that I believe can take us back to where we belong. Obviously there are obstacles, wage demands and the fee and if either would come, but if the owners want CL then they need to choose between the two:

Edinson Cavani or
      Leandro Damiao.

Chelski are in for Cavani and the Spuds are sniffing around Damiao.

There is more chance of finding gold at the bottom of your shoe than us signing any of those players you mention.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,494 posts | 2868 
      Reply #558: Aug 22, 2012 04:19:39 pm
      2) Kuyt, Maxi, Bellamy - Out. Borini, Assaidi - In.
          We are actually weaker in the attacking department.

Never thought about it like that actually.

Frightening stuff that our we have less goals in us now than we did before.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,484 posts | 8671 
      Reply #559: Aug 22, 2012 05:57:33 pm
      That's us done I think. There's no chance of us giving Carroll to Newcastle for 12m so I reckon he's staying. He'll get the odd start in Europe the Carling Cup and the odd cameo in the league when the tika-taka goes stale.

Our transfer windows post Rafa have been conducted in such a blinkered, amateur manner it's frightening. Compared to LFC's largesse and wastefulness, Everton's scouting has been shrewd and perceptive.
      ayrton77
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,775 posts | 627 
      • © Established Quality Since 1977
      Reply #560: Aug 22, 2012 06:06:48 pm
      Our transfer windows post Rafa have been conducted in such a blinkered, amateur manner it's frightening. Compared to LFC's largesse and wastefulness, Everton's scouting has been shrewd and perceptive.

Can only agree with this, sadly.

We've seen other clubs finding relatively cheap deals in the last couple of years, spending shrewdly and improving, whilst our money has been disappearing frighteningly quickly without any perceptible improvement in squad quality.

I'm not hitting the panic button, but what on earth do our scouting department do? There is little or no originality in our signings, and have also been caught out losing targets by our snail's pace ability in closing a deal.

And I don't think we can use our lack of CL football as an excuse too often. To use a hated example, Newcastle have managed to make astute deals and improve tenfold, from a joke of a team who were often pissing money away dreadfully, to a European football challenging side.

Deals can be made, players can be attracted, it's a matter of making the right decisions and having a wide-spreading scouting network.

Hopefully ours might still surprise before the window shuts, or in January, but we will need to pull our socks up very quickly as we are getting overcharged in the market and bypassed by teams just a few years ago we laughed at from on high.
      leeboy30
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,409 posts | 64 
      Reply #561: Aug 22, 2012 09:00:58 pm
      We just seem to keep overpaying for players no one else wants and replacing positions where we are already stacked with youth and experience.

Bellamy,kuyt and maxi have 25 goals a season in them I dont think Borini and Assaidi will have nearly that money I would guess around 10.

Suarez isnt clinical, Carroll doesnt fit the system, gerrard is fading..

We've somehow spent 25m and our squad seems weaker.. we are clearing out the 'deadwood' to be replaced by who exactly??

We really are operating with a very small club mentality and its got to stop.. We really need 4th spot this year or i cant see where we are gonna go the following season..

All i can see happening this window is us moving on either agger/carroll on the last day and getting in Dempsey at best..
      Christ
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,209 posts | 40 
      Reply #562: Aug 24, 2012 09:57:09 am
      i'm hoping we keep carroll for another season.. but if rodgers thinks £20 million could be spent on better striker i'll go with it but if we lose Andy and just get one in, we are short of depth. if we have real ambitions of a top 4 or title race we need 4 forward/strikers i'd be happy with a squad like this...

Carroll*, Borini, Suarez,+1Dempsey,*Walcott (Morgan)
      there are goals in this group, its just giving them confidence from quality players behind and outwide doing their bit.

Assaidi, *Downing +1 *A.Johnson, (Sterling)
      capable of cutting open any team and can all score a goal, we need one key player in this area though someone above the quality we have.

*Gerrard,Shelvey,*Adam(Suso)
      they should be given licence to roam as they lack discipline.

Lucas,Sahin,*Allen,*Henderson
      All capable of holding the ball, tackling and passing, with the attack working well they will gain confidence to score goals aswell.

Agger,Skrtel,Coates, *Carragher +1 someone versatile
      Enrique,Robinson,*Johnson,*Kelly
      Reina +1
      The defensive area speaks for itself, a lot of experience. back up for pepe and a quality addition to the back four will give more depth.

I'm optimistic for the squad it's better than it's looked for a while. Borini,Allen ( maybe Sahin) are all quality players. i can see what Rodgers is trying to do and hopefully he will be given backing these last few days. fingers crossed.

that would be my squad going into the season with the homegrown players highlighted.
      Benito
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,940 posts | 285 
      Reply #563: Aug 24, 2012 10:29:31 pm
      Are we going to F***ing sign anyone decent or not?
      If we dont have some clearly needed investment in the squad by the nd of this window im going to start the out yanks rallying cry. Yes they lost money last summer but so did other clubs and thats football. Im sick off everyone going "its a business", its a F***ing lot more than that and we are on the brink of being a leeds united or having to settle for mid table team for quite a few seasons until their "youngsters" come through and they can sell for a good money to make some investment on their project.

I hope this rant is completely unfounded and they proove me wrong ive just waited all summer for something and getting rather frustrated in seeing nothing. I havent even heard us being interested in anyone for weeks. I hope those doors are closed tight and we're in for a pleasant surprise.
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #564: Aug 24, 2012 11:02:39 pm
      Are we going to f**king sign anyone decent or not?
      If we dont have some clearly needed investment in the squad by the nd of this window im going to start the out yanks rallying cry. Yes they lost money last summer but so did other clubs and thats football. Im sick off everyone going "its a business", its a f**king lot more than that and we are on the brink of being a leeds united or having to settle for mid table team for quite a few seasons until their "youngsters" come through and they can sell for a good money to make some investment on their project.

I hope this rant is completely unfounded and they proove me wrong ive just waited all summer for something and getting rather frustrated in seeing nothing. I havent even heard us being interested in anyone for weeks. I hope those doors are closed tight and we're in for a pleasant surprise.

Spent 25m this window so far, might be a bit more coming but if your looking for a "big name" then I suggest dusting off the banners and starting practice on your rally cry because I can assure you with the exception of maybe 1-5m more the spending is done.
      American Red
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,157 posts | 179 
      Reply #565: Aug 24, 2012 11:10:01 pm
      Are we going to f**king sign anyone decent or not?
      If we dont have some clearly needed investment in the squad by the nd of this window im going to start the out yanks rallying cry. Yes they lost money last summer but so did other clubs and thats football. Im sick off everyone going "its a business", its a f**king lot more than that and we are on the brink of being a leeds united or having to settle for mid table team for quite a few seasons until their "youngsters" come through and they can sell for a good money to make some investment on their project.

You don't think that Borini, Allen, Assaidi, or now Sahin are "decent"?
      suso
      • Forum John Toshack

• 272 posts |
      Reply #566: Aug 25, 2012 03:33:05 am
      what do you mean now? we havent signed him yet and good chance we wont.
      American Red
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,157 posts | 179 
      Reply #567: Aug 25, 2012 04:22:13 am

So you're saying that now that all the news saying Arsenal have dropped out and that we've got Sahin combined with Brendan's two statements saying that he expects Sahin to be completed within the next 24 hours and saying what he'll add to our team and what he's good at that there is a good chance we won't get him?

Riiiight.
      suso
      • Forum John Toshack

• 272 posts |
      Reply #568: Aug 25, 2012 04:27:03 am
      So you're saying that now that all the news saying Arsenal have dropped out and that we've got Sahin combined with Brendan's two statements saying that he expects Sahin to be completed within the next 24 hours and saying what he'll add to our team and what he's good at that there is a good chance we won't get him?

Riiiight.
      i wrote the poat before reading the comments from the manager. it should go though but it still hasnt so anything could happen. he might fail his medical
      i hope northing goes wrong. our Midfield will seem a lot better then it did two weeks ago
      Benito
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,940 posts | 285 
      Reply #569: Aug 25, 2012 10:47:40 am
      Riiiight.

Hes a loan signing, plays well this season and goes back to Madrid, leaving us with Gerrard as the "master tactician" to last a whole season going forward (when we all know he can't). Don't get me wrong good loan signing and hopefully we can pick him up next summer, but i doubt Mourinhos a fool to let that happen. We needed cover for Gerrard and I'm glad we've got it. We also need alot of other positions to fill (i.e. flanks).

Seeming as you've probably seen 1 play for a season, seen the other have 3 games, and not seen the other play at all, that's a pretty funny comment. Their all unproven and I for one won't be rating some players i know f**k all about. I think Allen's tidy but overrated - put it this way, i can see him getting destroyed against a team like stoke, that go in hard. Sahin on the other hand is a good player, but we haven't bought him...

Spent 25m this window so far, might be a bit more coming but if your looking for a "big name" then I suggest dusting off the banners and starting practice on your rally cry because I can assure you with the exception of maybe 1-5m more the spending is done.

I agree completely A-Z  on that the spending is done (unless we sell). The problem is we need a striker. I don't want a big name, I rather a "promising emerging talent" ala Jackson Martinez who went to Porto (similar to Cisse to Newcastle last season).
      American Red
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,157 posts | 179 
      Reply #570: Aug 25, 2012 02:30:21 pm
      Hes a loan signing, plays well this season and goes back to Madrid, leaving us with Gerrard as the "master tactician" to last a whole season going forward (when we all know he can't). Don't get me wrong good loan signing and hopefully we can pick him up next summer, but i doubt Mourinhos a fool to let that happen. We needed cover for Gerrard and I'm glad we've got it. We also need alot of other positions to fill (i.e. flanks).

Seeming as you've probably seen 1 play for a season, seen the other have 3 games, and not seen the other play at all, that's a pretty funny comment. Their all unproven and I for one won't be rating some players i know f**k all about. I think Allen's tidy but overrated - put it this way, i can see him getting destroyed against a team like stoke, that go in hard. Sahin on the other hand is a good player, but we haven't bought him...

One season is all we need from him for now and then we can find another "master tactician" next summer. And of course, the man who wins Bundesliga Player of the Year - over players like Gotze, Ribery, Reus, Gomez, and the list goes on and on - is a bit more than decent.

As for the others. I actually saw Borini quite a lot last season for Roma, about 7 or 8 games that they showed on FSC. And I thought he was a lot more than decent for a player his age. Anyone who has such good movement with hardly any experience against top flight defenders and can finish well is at least decent striker.

Then there's Allen. All I need to know about how he's at least decent is that our boss managed him for a couple years and thought that he was valuable enough to pay 15m for him. But I did see him play last night and his ability to keep possession is unparalleled in our squad and possession is what we need. And as for the Stoke comment: Allen seems tougher going into challenges than most of our other players. Combine all that with the fact that both times he's played with us so far, he's looked one of our best players and if he plays his game, he won't be getting hammered because he's quick on the ball and quick off it.

As for Assaidi. I've never seen him play. But I'm going by numbers and by what people say about him.

-Transfermarkt.co.uk rates him at: £6.2m. We got him for £3m
      -Last year in the league he got 10 goals and 7 assists in 27 games in the Eridivisie in which he was subbed on twice and subbed off 13 times so he didn't have as much time as possible to get those stats.
      -He's got very good pace and he's a very good dribbler. Two things we've severely lacked in recent times and two things that were vital for Swansea's system last year on their wings.

Not a world beater, but it seems like he's a decent player.
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,692 posts | 7160 
      Reply #571: Aug 25, 2012 07:00:11 pm
      I don't know Assaidi but for £3mil he is definitely worth a punt we cant lose on that one.Borini worries me I just cant see him banging in too many goals,Allen is key to Brendan getting his style of play into the side and we saw that when he came on against Hearts we looked a different team.We have shed about £10-£12mil a year of the wage bill when we let go Kuyt,Bellamy and Maxi so its very difficult these days to get a grip on spending as total contract value seems to come in to play.
      i wasn't keen on Dempsey but given who else we are linked with which is more or less nobody I would take him as he will score a few goals for us.
      Reslivo
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,490 posts | 521 
      Reply #572: Aug 25, 2012 07:15:40 pm

http://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/latest-news/reds-agree-sahin-loan

Derp.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,506 posts | 4850 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #573: Aug 25, 2012 07:24:33 pm

Clang!!!
      staffletop
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 679 posts | 29 
      Reply #574: Sep 01, 2012 02:45:05 pm
      I am purposely bumping this for all you guys who kept saying theres XX days left have patience....well I had patience it didn't do me much good did it....what excuses have you all got for me now.?

Quick Reply