Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 23rd of May and on this date LFC's match record is P9 W4 D1 L4

Our squad for now

Read 12419 times
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,356 posts | 2877 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Our squad for now
      Aug 31, 2012 11:50:47 pm
      Were all angry, shocked, worried that we sined nobody today. So what we have is what we have until at least January.

Lets have a look and see are things as bad as we think right now or is whats there strong enough to do well in the league while playing in the Europa league and league cup.

Keepers: Reina, Jones, Doni
      Defenders: Kelly, Johnson, Skrtel, Carra, Agger, Coates, Enrique, Downing, Flanagan, Robinson, Wilson

Defence is well covered unless we have an almighty injury crisis we look ok
      Keepers are a concern. Jones and Doni dont offer enough challenge to Reina who in turn has lost his top form. If he gets it back no worries but he will have to play every game.

Midfield: Lucas, Sahin, Allen, Henderson, Downing, Cole, Gerrard, Shelvey, Serling, Assaidi

Already down Lucas to injury but look to have decent depth here. Wide areas are filled but with enough potential? Sterling will have to be played a lot more then he should and Assaidi needs to get up to pace from day 1.

Stevie G will need to grab his team by the scruff circa05/06 I feel

Forwards: Suarez, Borini, Morgan, Yesil

I think we see where things might fall down. Unless Morgan takes a huge leap and comes in and becomes the 20 goal a season man we will struggle here. Luis isnt a poacher. Borini? Maybe given games through the middle.

Carroll deal looks lunacy now but equally yoou have to wonder had we kept Kuyt to play inthe central role how much better things would be!

Verdict: Will take every man when called upon to do his job and do it well to have any chance. All home games particularly against the weaker teams will need to be won. Maybe just maybe Rodgers will have the golden touch which gets the best from the lads until he can go shopping in January.

Fingers crossed
      AZPatriot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Re: Our squad for now
      Reply #1: Aug 31, 2012 11:58:48 pm
      Were all angry, shocked, worried that we sined nobody today. So what we have is what we have until at least January.

Lets have a look and see are things as bad as we think right now or is whats there strong enough to do well in the league while playing in the Europa league and league cup.

Keepers: Reina, Jones, Doni
      Defenders: Kelly, Johnson, Skrtel, Carra, Agger, Coates, Enrique, Downing, Flanagan, Robinson, Wilson

Defence is well covered unless we have an almighty injury crisis we look ok
      Keepers are a concern. Jones and Doni dont offer enough challenge to Reina who in turn has lost his top form. If he gets it back no worries but he will have to play every game.

Midfield: Lucas, Sahin, Allen, Henderson, Downing, Cole, Gerrard, Shelvey, Serling, Assaidi

Already down Lucas to injury but look to have decent depth here. Wide areas are filled but with enough potential? Sterling will have to be played a lot more then he should and Assaidi needs to get up to pace from day 1.

Stevie G will need to grab his team by the scruff circa05/06 I feel

Forwards: Suarez, Borini, Morgan, Yesil

I think we see where things might fall down. Unless Morgan takes a huge leap and comes in and becomes the 20 goal a season man we will struggle here. Luis isnt a poacher. Borini? Maybe given games through the middle.

Carroll deal looks lunacy now but equally yoou have to wonder had we kept Kuyt to play inthe central role how much better things would be!

Verdict: Will take every man when called upon to do his job and do it well to have any chance. All home games particularly against the weaker teams will need to be won. Maybe just maybe Rodgers will have the golden touch which gets the best from the lads until he can go shopping in January.

Fingers crossed

It's possible that we might see Ngoo this year also, by many accounts he is better than Morgan.
      Bosnian_Red
      • Forum Jari Litmanen

• 50 posts |
      Reply #2: Sep 01, 2012 12:16:43 am
      Very disappointed with transfer deadline day, I expected at least one player here. Our attack looks highly concerning and I can see us making a step back in this area, compared to our last season (Suarez, Carroll, Bellamy).

I am surprised that Rodgers and co had no alternatives for Dempsey and did not find a possible replacement for him before the transfer window closed. However, I really hope this will be enough and that we will offer a lot in midfield since we are stronger in that area now.

George Lucas
      • Banned

• 6,615 posts | 57 
      • JFT96
      Reply #3: Sep 01, 2012 12:17:29 am
      BR stated that both Morgan and Yesil arent first team material just yet.
      HeighwayToHeaven

• 8,468 posts | 242 
      • Don't buy The Sun
      Reply #4: Sep 01, 2012 12:24:48 am
      BR stated that both Morgan and Yesil arent first team material just yet.

That could of course change in the next few weeks/months out of necessity rather than anything else.
      George Lucas
      • Banned

• 6,615 posts | 57 
      • JFT96
      Reply #5: Sep 01, 2012 12:25:40 am
      That could of course change in the next few weeks/months out of necessity rather than anything else.

We have problems if we are having to rely on two players who have played 3 senior games between them
      adammac
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,762 posts | 239 
      • Heart As Big As Liverpool
      Reply #6: Sep 01, 2012 12:27:38 am
      It seems like the goal of the window was to get rid of the deadwood from previous years, very disappointed to see Carroll loaned out than not bring in a new striker. Also thought that getting rid of Adam that Spearing would of been kept with the club as cover but he was loaned out.

The squad is pretty thin numbers wise which will worry a lot of fans, with the Europa League this year we are going to be playing a good number of games  and unless we have a miracle season in terms no one gets serious injury I can see a few of the young players getting some games in during the season.

I have to think as far as senior players go this is one of the smallest squads we have had in years and one of the youngest as well.
      bigears

• 6,125 posts | 287 
      • My bird looks great in red
      Reply #7: Sep 01, 2012 12:33:12 am
      Maybe just maybe Rodgers will have the golden touch which gets the best from the lads until he can go shopping in January.
      Will we be going shopping Brian, is the real question .If we haven't got it now chances are we won't have it in 5 months time .
      Scottbot

• 9,625 posts | 2160 
      Reply #8: Sep 01, 2012 12:39:00 am
      Still struggling to comprehend today's failure to bring in another forward and i'm struggling to see how the front positions are going to be staffed. We're an injury to Suarez away from our entiure season being down the swanny. That's the truth of it. And i'm not the biggest fan of the Europa League but i'm pretty certain Rodgers didn't plan on having to use the likes of Morgan, Ngoo and Yesil in this competition and i've got no idea how he will look to manage the Christmas period.
      HeighwayToHeaven

• 8,468 posts | 242 
      • Don't buy The Sun
      Reply #9: Sep 01, 2012 12:44:43 am
      We have problems if we are having to rely on two players who have played 3 senior games between them

Indeed we do, but injuries and/or suspensions may leave us with no choice.
      JC16
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 861 posts | 86 
      Reply #10: Sep 01, 2012 12:49:45 am
      Only thing I can think of is that today's dealings (or lack of) secures the move of Gerrard to move into the front 3.   Sure as fook he can't run like he did last night every game playing in the middle.  He'll retire by Christmas if that's the case.

Unfortunately now with our numbers in the squad depleted even more, i think we'll have to say goodbye to the Europa League.  No way can we play the amount of games (League, Europa, League Cup, FA Cup) and expect such a small squad to be able to cope.  Right now  (With Lucas and Cole injured) we've got 16 legit outfield first team players.  We are thinner than we've every been.  We are one or two injuries away from being completely fu**ed.
      wmeliane
      • Forum John Barnes

• 421 posts | 21 
      Reply #11: Sep 01, 2012 01:43:32 am
      I thought about what happened today or what did NOT happen today.

I would not be the bit surprised if Samed Yesil was made the 3rd striker in our squad. I think he is better than any other young striker we have in our youth, Adam Morgan included. He will have to prove himself in the youth squad first but I can see him graduate within the next few weeks...
      aussieredave
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 961 posts |
      Reply #12: Sep 01, 2012 01:52:08 am
      Look to see Suso and a few other youth players used in Europa. Our squad is looking shallow why would you sell Pacecho and loan Spearing just puts us under pressure for no gain . Both are on low wages.
      Del Boca Vista
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,008 posts | 209 
      • do do do
      Reply #13: Sep 01, 2012 02:10:32 am
      borini and suarez are our strikers. what happened? BR knew we only had three strikers and loaned AC out. something is obviously very wrong at the club. we are weaker than ever while clubs like sunderland, fulham, everton and newcastle continue to build..
      wmeliane
      • Forum John Barnes

• 421 posts | 21 
      Reply #14: Sep 01, 2012 02:11:31 am
      Look to see Suso and a few other youth players used in Europa. Our squad is looking shallow why would you sell Pacecho and loan Spearing just puts us under pressure for no gain . Both are on low wages.

I thought Pacheco deal did not go through...?
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #15: Sep 01, 2012 02:39:21 am
      2011-2012                                                                      2012-2013

Johnson - Skrtel- Agger - Enrique                    Johnson - Skrtel - Agger - Enrique

Henderson-Adam-Gerrard-Downing                         Sahin -  Allen - Gerrard

Carroll        Suarez                                 Borini        Suarez     Sterling

Bench:                                                                Bench:

Bellamy  (6 league goals)                                   Downing
      Kuyt  (2 league goals)                                        Henderson
      Maxi  (4 league goals)                                        Assaidi
      Coates                                                                Coates
      Carrager                                                             Carragher
      Kelly                                                                    Kelly
      Shelvey                                                               Shelvey
      Doni                                                                    Jones
      Lucas (injured)                                                    Lucas (injured)

Looks to me like a better starting XI and we swapped the bench with speed and youthful energy vs. experienced and older legs
      JC16
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 861 posts | 86 
      Reply #16: Sep 01, 2012 02:53:25 am
      Hey AZ.  As a fellow Yank I say in the words of Keyshawn Johnson.   

C'mon Man.

We have barely enough first teamers to fill the bench.  Today made no sense without bringing in some replacements.  Today was a complete clusterfuck.
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #17: Sep 01, 2012 03:06:20 am
      Hey AZ.  As a fellow Yank I say in the words of Keyshawn Johnson.   

C'mon Man.

We have barely enough first teamers to fill the bench.  Today made no sense without bringing in some replacements.  Today was a complete clusterfuck.

Not saying we shouldn't have bought a striker but the starting XI has an opportunity to be much better than last years.

Our bench?

Other than Assadi/Maxi   Downing/Kuyt      Henderson/Bellamy its the exact same bench as last year  Shelvey/Kelly/Carra/Coates/Lucas (injury)

All I was saying is to do better than last years squad we need to find a replacement for the 12 league goals that Maxi/Kuyt/Bellers gave us, hopefully Sterling/Assadi/Henderson/Downing can do that.

The starting XI is stronger the bench is a bit weaker (as far as we know).

We have not improved from last year but I hardly see a collapse coming.
      Bier
      Reply #18: Sep 01, 2012 03:15:51 am
      We need to find far more than a replacement for those 12 goals, as we were already short on goals last season to begin with. Kuyt had an awful season, 2 goals when he scored 13 the season before. Maxi was short on goals too. Henderson and Downing aren't going to provide us goals, and Sterling and Assaidi are more creators than goalscorers. We might not collapse, but ending in 8th spot again isn't exactly acceptable either. At this point the only way we'll be better than last season is if Suarez or Borini suddenly start becoming clinical finishers.
      JC16
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 861 posts | 86 
      Reply #19: Sep 01, 2012 03:18:08 am
      Not saying we shouldn't have bought a striker but the starting XI has an opportunity to be much better than last years.

Our bench?

Other than Assadi/Maxi   Downing/Kuyt      Henderson/Bellamy its the exact same bench as last year  Shelvey/Kelly/Carra/Coates/Lucas (injury)

All I was saying is to do better than last years squad we need to find a replacement for the 12 league goals that Maxi/Kuyt/Bellers gave us, hopefully Sterling/Assadi/Henderson/Downing can do that.

The starting XI is stronger the bench is a bit weaker (as far as we know).

We have not improved from last year but I hardly see a collapse coming.
      We may have a better starting XI.  Barring injuries and bombing out of the cups by playing the Rese... Hmmm Wait.  We don't have a reserve team.  It's youth team and then straight to the first team.   Big step missing there.   The only way we have any chance of making top four this season is having our first XI play all of the league games (And sure as fook hope for no injuries) and having none of the XI-XIV (I hate roman numerals) take part in any cup games.
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #20: Sep 01, 2012 03:21:19 am
      We need to find far more than a replacement for those 12 goals, as we were already short on goals last season to begin with. Kuyt had an awful season, 2 goals when he scored 13 the season before. Maxi was short on goals too. Henderson and Downing aren't going to provide us goals, and Sterling and Assaidi are more creators than goalscorers. We might not collapse, but ending in 8th spot again isn't exactly acceptable either. At this point the only way we'll be better than last season is if Suarez or Borini suddenly start becoming clinical finishers.

Don't disagree Bier, perhaps we should of kept Aqulani for the midfield an spent Allen's on a striker.

The whole Carroll debacle is another story.
      LFCbronx
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,405 posts | 191 
      Reply #21: Sep 01, 2012 03:27:27 am
      2011-2012                                                                      2012-2013

Johnson - Skrtel- Agger - Enrique                    Johnson - Skrtel - Agger - Enrique

Henderson-Adam-Gerrard-Downing                         Sahin -  Allen - Gerrard

Carroll        Suarez                                 Borini        Suarez     Sterling

Yeah, fine.  But sh*t happens during the course of a season

Borini tweaks a hamstring gonna miss a couple weeks.....
      Suarez got a red card (out 3 games).......
      or  we got 3 games in 10 days, someone's gonna need a rest.

Now what do we do?

We are just too thin up front.

I agree and for 2 million , it would not have been.  Not another 5 or 10 or 15 mil.   We're talking 2

Or simply keep Carroll until we sign a replacement. Not a difficult concept.

Imagine we had Carroll AND Dempsey.  Now that would have been some nice depth.

I just think we are really going to struggle to score goals,  even more than last year.

AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #22: Sep 01, 2012 03:38:45 am
      Yeah, fine.  But sh*t happens during the course of a season

Borini tweaks a hamstring gonna miss a couple weeks.....
      Suarez got a red card (out 3 games).......
      or  we got 3 games in 10 days, someone's gonna need a rest.

Now what do we do?

We are just too thin up front.

I agree and for 2 million , it would not have been.  Not another 5 or 10 or 15 mil.   We're talking 2

Or simply keep Carroll until we sign a replacement. Not a difficult concept.

Imagine we had Carroll AND Dempsey.  Now that would have been some nice depth.

I just think we are really going to struggle to score goals,  even more than last year.

Not disagreeing I am shocked we did not get Dempsey and even more so that we loaned Andy without having cover in place. My comparison of the starting XI was for the inevitable asset stripping  theory sure come out of this.

Not implying at all that we made progress this window as a whole.

Would like to have 100 million on the bench if it were up to me, but it's not. In lieu of that I guess I will be more excited to see a Morgan/Assadi/Sterling coming in then Kuyt and Maxi.

Quick Reply