Trending Topics

Next match: Betis v LFC [Friendly] Sat 27th Jul @ 12:30 am
      Acrisure Stadium

Today is the 16th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P0 W0 D0 L0

General LFC Transfer rumours/gossip thread

Read 4321649 times
      Thaddeus
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,063 posts | 171 
      Re: General Transfer rumours/gossip thread
      Reply #16928: Aug 15, 2014 10:01:32 pm
      "I don't think we would drop points because Lambert plays", you don't think we'd drop points having Lambert over Sturridge?

I think we'll have to agree or disagree mate. I don't think Lambert will fit into our team as well as he did at Saints, and I feel he might struggle. Which is why I fear if he gets an extended run in the side we'd really struggle.

Well, I reckon we'll fall from 2.4 to 2.3 points per game - so in that sense yes we would drop points, but I don't think we'd look at a game and say "damn we lost that because Lambert played". But 1 player, even if he were utter dogshite, wouldn't ruin the team, because it is that strong.
      If Borini stays (only really an option if we don't sign anyone) he'll help out too.
      Thaddeus
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,063 posts | 171 
      Reply #16929: Aug 15, 2014 10:14:51 pm
      It's at least gloom mate. For me anyway.

Why do we always seem to get almost all the way there and come up just a touch short?

Can't we just finish this transfer window strong for a change? ;D

We would be short in quality, but not depth. Technically Borini is still with us - and many have written him off, but I see him more as a wild card - that is in itself worrying, but he wouldn't necessarily be sh*te if he played.

As for finishing strong - I reckon we have about the 3rd strongest squad - and one of the two squads I'm ranking above us has worse striker depth than us.
      federer
      • Needs a Klopp hug
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,932 posts | 645 
      Reply #16930: Aug 15, 2014 10:27:05 pm
      And that's your problem right there, thinking you know better than the man who manages LFC.
      I hope you don't fondly imagine that you know something BR doesn't or that he hasn't thought of things that you have.
      He will have a plan, then a contingency plan, then a contingency plan for the contingency plan etc.

you mean like the contingency plan we had when Carroll left and we didn't have another striker?
      Thaddeus
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,063 posts | 171 
      Reply #16931: Aug 15, 2014 10:29:30 pm
      you mean like the contingency plan we had when Carroll left and we didn't have another striker?

Mate, wait til the window closes before moaning we haven't bought another striker. We are clearly working on it.
      federer
      • Needs a Klopp hug
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,932 posts | 645 
      Reply #16932: Aug 15, 2014 10:32:33 pm
      If the boss wants him I will trust his judgement over yours that he is the right player at the right time.

You know, if this is the right approach, then what exactly is the point of even having a transfer forum to discuss transfers?  We could just have one thread that says "No matter who we bring in or let go, it will be the right player at the right time" and then a thousand posts afterwards saying "I agree." 

Or, you could consider that in fact managers (and in our case the transfer committee) makes mistakes.  In fact ours gets them wrong at least half as often as they get them right.  So it actually *is* worth questioning if player x is the right player at the right time.  Presumably Iago Aspas wasn't the right player at the right time, unless the point of bringing him in was to do absolutely nothing for an entire season, while we pay him to do absolutely nothing.  (I doubt that was the plan). 

Similarly, Stewart Downing wasn't the right player at the right time, unless the point of bringing him in was to pay twenty million pounds and give him absurd wages in order to pass the ball backwards and sideways.  And yet we trusted Kenny's judgement---surely if Kenny can be wrong in his judgement, then Rodgers can as well.

So I think we've established that managers often get signings wrong.  so in this case, what exactly is so wrong about questioning whether player x is the right player, at the right time, when clearly sometimes player x is NOT the right player, at the right time?
      Thaddeus
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,063 posts | 171 
      Reply #16933: Aug 15, 2014 10:33:15 pm
      Out of interest, what mistakes do you think we have made this window?
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,441 posts | 6431 
      Reply #16934: Aug 15, 2014 10:38:56 pm
      You know, if this is the right approach, then what exactly is the point of even having a transfer forum to discuss transfers?  We could just have one thread that says "No matter who we bring in or let go, it will be the right player at the right time" and then a thousand posts afterwards saying "I agree." 

Or, you could consider that in fact managers (and in our case the transfer committee) makes mistakes.  In fact ours gets them wrong at least half as often as they get them right.  So it actually *is* worth questioning if player x is the right player at the right time.  Presumably Iago Aspas wasn't the right player at the right time, unless the point of bringing him in was to do absolutely nothing for an entire season, while we pay him to do absolutely nothing.  (I doubt that was the plan). 

Similarly, Stewart Downing wasn't the right player at the right time, unless the point of bringing him in was to pay twenty million pounds and give him absurd wages in order to pass the ball backwards and sideways.  And yet we trusted Kenny's judgement---surely if Kenny can be wrong in his judgement, then Rodgers can as well.

So I think we've established that managers often get signings wrong.  so in this case, what exactly is so wrong about questioning whether player x is the right player, at the right time, when clearly sometimes player x is NOT the right player, at the right time?

If Managers get things wrong half the time, just how many times do you think dunderheads that post on forums would get them wrong?
      Foolish post yours.
      federer
      • Needs a Klopp hug
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,932 posts | 645 
      Reply #16935: Aug 15, 2014 10:40:27 pm

I'm not talking about this window, I'm saying that in general, managers make mistakes with signings, whereas some posters think that no potential signings should be allowed to be questioned because you should have "faith" in the manager's "judgement." 

So A) I don't see what the point is in having a transfer forum at all if that is the case, we should just refuse to talk about it.

And B) clearly managers, the best ones, the worst ones, and everywhere in between, DO make mistakes in their signings, so there is no point in putting blind trust into them and it in fact is worthwhile to discuss whether or not the signing is the right one at the right time.
      Thaddeus
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,063 posts | 171 
      Reply #16936: Aug 15, 2014 10:45:05 pm
      I'm not talking about this window, I'm saying that in general, managers make mistakes with signings, whereas some posters think that no potential signings should be allowed to be questioned because you should have "faith" in the manager's "judgement." 

So A) I don't see what the point is in having a transfer forum at all if that is the case, we should just refuse to talk about it.

And B) clearly manager's, the best ones, the worst ones, and everywhere in between, DO make mistakes in their signings, so there is no point in putting blind trust into them and it in fact is worthwhile to discuss whether or not the signing is the right one at the right time.

Fair enough that we shouldn't have blind faith. We are rational human beings after all, not members of a cult.
      However, I often feel it is pointless to, for example, moan that we haven't bought a striker until the window closes. Once we've made a signing, it is also fair to criticize it. For example, we were dangerously close to signing Bertrand. That is a signing which could be fairly criticized - but at the same time, we should also keep level-headed and realize that there's not a huge point in slagging a player off until we have seen them on the pitch.
      Thaddeus
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,063 posts | 171 
      Reply #16937: Aug 15, 2014 10:45:44 pm
      If Managers get things wrong half the time, just how many times do you think dunderheads that post on forums would get them wrong?
      Foolish post yours.

40% of the time, I'm right every time, so suck it  ;D
      federer
      • Needs a Klopp hug
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,932 posts | 645 
      Reply #16938: Aug 15, 2014 10:46:39 pm

You're completely right!  I agree 100% that if managers, having all the videos and scouting reports etc, STILL get them wrong, then we the "commoners" who are presumably even less informed have even less to go on. 

But does that mean we aren't allowed to question them at all? 

I don't remember who it is but I think there is some poster here from Greece, so let's say he supports his local club, whatever it is, and he goes to their matches a lot and knows their players inside and out.  Let's say we're interested in a player from that club.  Well presumably our scouts may go and see the player once or twice or maybe even three times, and watch some video highlights, talk to the manager etc, but that poster may know a great deal as well from having seen the player up close on a frequent basis. 

So maybe we want to sign him but the poster says "Oh man, I have seen him, he is very pacy and tricky but he goes missing a lot and doesn't track back...." etc etc.  Maybe the scouts picked up on this having watched a few games, or maybe they didn't, because the player was told "there are scouts from Liverpool in the stand tonight" and he upped his game.

I mean my point is it's all very complicated, figuring out the right combination to get the right player, and surely some posters have something relevant to contribute to the discussion and are totally fair in suggesting that a player might not be a good buy.
      7DocUnleashed
      • Forum Erik Meijer

• 28 posts | 10 
      Reply #16939: Aug 15, 2014 10:47:15 pm
      Could it be that Brendan's waiting to see how Jay Rodriguez comes back from his injury?
      Keeping his powder dry until then??!!
      federer
      • Needs a Klopp hug
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,932 posts | 645 
      Reply #16940: Aug 15, 2014 10:50:51 pm
      For example, we were dangerously close to signing Bertrand. That is a signing which could be fairly criticized - but at the same time, we should also keep level-headed and realize that there's not a huge point in slagging a player off until we have seen them on the pitch.

well, I think in the case of Bertrand, the whole point was that people HAVE seen him on the pitch, and were less than impressed....
      Thaddeus
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,063 posts | 171 
      Reply #16941: Aug 15, 2014 10:51:27 pm
      You're completely right!  I agree 100% that if managers, having all the videos and scouting reports etc, STILL get them wrong, then we the "commoners" who are presumably even less informed have even less to go on. 

But does that mean we aren't allowed to question them at all? 

I don't remember who it is but I think there is some poster here from Greece, so let's say he supports his local club, whatever it is, and he goes to their matches a lot and knows their players inside and out.  Well presumably our scouts may go and see the player once or twice or maybe even three times, and watch some video highlights, talk to the manager etc, but that poster may know a great deal as well from having seen the player up close on a frequent basis. 

So maybe we want to sign him but the poster says "Oh man, I have seen him, he is very pacy and tricky but he goes missing a lot and doesn't track back...." etc etc.  Maybe the scouts picked up on this having watched a few games, or maybe they didn't, because the player was told "there are scouts from Liverpool in the stand tonight" and he upped his game.

I mean my point is it's all very complicated, figuring out the right combination to get the right player, and surely some posters have something relevant to contribute to the discussion and are totally fair in suggesting that a player might not be a good buy.

Honestly, I reckon that there is so much money in the game, that when a player is scouted, not only are they seen live a few times, but every minute they have played within the last 3-5 years is watched by a group of scouts making detailed notes. I can't believe anyone makes a multiple million pound investment without a very high level of research.

Not to say mistakes aren't made, but they are clearly doing the business in detail.
      Thaddeus
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,063 posts | 171 
      Reply #16942: Aug 15, 2014 10:51:48 pm
      well, I think in the case of Bertrand, the whole point was that people HAVE seen him on the pitch, and were less than impressed....
      For us I meant  :f_tongueincheek:
      lreland
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,360 posts | 116 
      Reply #16943: Aug 15, 2014 10:52:28 pm
      l keep fabio borini, lf we dont bring in other forward, we have bring in other forward, lf fabio go to sunderland,l what us win league not just be hapy with top 4
      Thaddeus
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,063 posts | 171 
      Reply #16944: Aug 15, 2014 10:55:15 pm
      l keep fabio borini, lf we dont bring in other forward, we have bring in other forward, lf fabio go to sunderland,l what us win league not just be hapy with top 4
      lreland
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,360 posts | 116 
      Reply #16945: Aug 15, 2014 10:59:22 pm
      keep fabio l mean lf we dont bring in other forward ;D
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,605 posts | 1683 
      • YNWA
      Reply #16946: Aug 15, 2014 11:08:25 pm
      Gone quietish on the striker rumour front. Not sure if that's a good or bad thing. Maybe he just wants to choreograph timing on a double signing  :f_tongueincheek:  That's the beer talkin...
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,372 posts | 4973 
      Reply #16947: Aug 15, 2014 11:08:55 pm

Not replacing our best player would be one.

In all seriousness though we have had a very good transfer window and it isn't all doom and gloom if we don't get another striker or forward in before the window closes. But it could become a bit doom and gloom if Danny gets injured early on as our options are pretty sparse after that with Lambert, good signing I think he is, not being that top quality we would expect to replace or even play alongside Sturridge.

RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,934 posts | 829 
      • Formerly known as Vtorres, Vsuarez, and Vsterling.
      Reply #16948: Aug 15, 2014 11:12:03 pm

Not replacing Reina (yet?)

Not having a new striker in (yet?)
      Scally21
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 991 posts | 71 
      Reply #16949: Aug 15, 2014 11:14:25 pm
      Mate, wait til the window closes before moaning we haven't bought another striker. We are clearly working on it.

And yet you're the one trying to say we'd more or less achieve the same results without one. ??? No chance BTW.

Lambert hasn't got a prayer lasting the full 90 at the pace and intensity that we play - never mind twice a week! Borini could very well chip in with the odd goal or so but he's not exactly someone we could rely on as being a match winner.

Need a striker capable of banging in between 15-20 goals and we'll be laughing. It'll be of no use searching in January when the damage will have already be done will it?
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,372 posts | 4973 
      Reply #16950: Aug 15, 2014 11:15:15 pm
      Could it be that Brendan's waiting to see how Jay Rodriguez comes back from his injury?
      Keeping his powder dry until then??!!

As much as I like Rodriguez if that is why we haven't signed a striker yet then I'm not sure anyone involved in the transfer committe is doing their job properly.

Quick Reply