Trending Topics

General LFC Transfer rumours/gossip thread

Read 4267710 times
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,228 posts | 4421 
      Re: General Transfer rumours/gossip thread
      Reply #25530: Jun 20, 2016 04:02:32 pm
      Wanyama having a medical at Spurs today, £11M according to SSN.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #25531: Jun 20, 2016 04:03:05 pm

I'm with you in regards to Benteke & Allen, but I also think Ibe could be off to, I'm not sure Jürgen sees enough in him but he's still naive so he may choose to hold onto him for now, now having said that I think a fully fit Markovic is a better prospect than Ibe and once he's had a few weeks in and around Jürgen we could still see the best of Lazar, I think TPM was to hasty in chucking him under the bus having played him out of position to often, and not giving him time to properly settle,
      I agree Lucas could be vital for the early league games and cover for central defence, I'm not so sure Stewart or  Chirivella will feature much but I do think Brannagan will, not sure about the latest on Mama, will he be eligible for the seasons start or not, ?

We have young Gomez to come back although I don't see him being thrown to the lions straight away, if indeed Mane arrives I'd like to believe he'd be our main threat from out wide but we will need cover hence keeping hold of Lazar/Ibe,

I think Jürgen will pull a rabbit or two from the hat, we know of the usual suspects in Gotze. Zelinski, etc, but I like the element of surprise, that, ' we never seen that coming' kind of deal, might even be a markee situation, F**k knows, could well be w*nk material too  ;D

YNWA

You could be right about Ibe mate but I have a feeling Jürgen likes to keep hold of the young lads that have shown some talent and work with them before scrapping them.

Sakho finds out his fate in 3 weeks according to todays media mate.

I'm not sure about Stewart but I think Jürgen sees something in him and although he's 22 now there's still plenty he can improve on with some time on the training field.  Same with Chirivella, I know he had a mare in his last game but the talent is there.  Branners will be eased in, as will Ojo over the season.  As for Gomez, didn't Jürgen chuck a couple of 19 year old CBs into his team from the off?  Not sure if it was at Dortmund or at Mainz but I'm sure I've read that somewhere.

There's still a chance Gotze will come, the deal's there if he changes his mind but he might not be the big hit that people are hoping for straight away.  I've heard we haven't totally given up on doing a deal for Dahoud, now that one I'm really excited about if it happens.  I think he could be amazing for us despite his age.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,832 posts | 2459 
      Reply #25532: Jun 20, 2016 04:16:40 pm

Good back up for Dier.

Nothing to do with us though.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #25533: Jun 20, 2016 04:20:09 pm
      This is the cycle we're currently in.

1. We perpetually finish somewhere between 6th and 8th (we've done it under numerous different managers now).

2. To address this issue, as we "can't compete" with the big spenders, we buy players "for the future" who we can "develop into stars".

3. At the end of each Summer window we tell ourselves that these players will "take time to bed in" and that a challenge this coming season is unlikely. Next season after this one though, "you just watch us go!".

4. During the course of each season, the new players do take time to bed in "as we said all along". We do though show signs of getting somewhere, and after Christmas go on a dizzying run which if extrapolated over a whole season would see us in the top three. Unfortunately though the bedding in period costs us, as does our smallish squad in terms of quality should we have a cup run. We finish 6th-8th.

5. At the end of the season our rivals spend big on ready made stars. Unfortunately for us, those ready made stars sometimes include our best player. If said player leaves for double his money wages, we call him a "mercenary c***" and buy lots of players "for the future" who we can "develop into stars".

6. Naturally those players take time to bed in and get used to the Premiership, so we reason that a challenge this season is unlikely.

Etc etc etc. Return to number one and repeat ad infinitum. Jürgen being a World class manager might be able to speed up the production line so for each Suarez and Sterling we sell we have a Coutinho and a Sturridge readyy and waiting, and players behind them too. But my fear is even Jürgen will only be able to nudge it up to 4th - 6th.

Firstly I'm assuming you're talking 'the FSG years' here?

If that's the case then the first round of potential was bought with Comolli and Kenny. Both men were summarily binned off without those 'potential' ever having the chance to progress under those who seemingly wanted them. We can argue all day about the quality of those signings but the approach to selling them almost immediately at big losses (yet still making a huge profit overall) seemed one of the most bizarre transfer dealings I've ever seen. It was as if the moment Kenny and Comolli were out the door so were the for sale signs up on his signings. Who dictated this I'm not sure, I am sure JWH released a letter saying never again would the mistakes of the past be repeated but I also think Brendan had a part to play on who was still seen as part of the future plans. In any case it is not a recipe for success that much is clear.

The second round were bought with Brendan, largely off the profits of the previous manager Suarez/Sterling and the 'everything must go sale'. He and the computer programme were at odds with each other spending £280m+ in just over 3 years. Now you yourself have been arguing for the past month that "£300m spunked" is a poor representation of the money and "they're not the turds some suggest" or words to that effect, which to some extent you certainly have a point but I'm sure you'd also agree they were directionless signings and have resulted in a ridiculously unbalanced squad. To illustrate the failings of this approach Brendan identified his first key area that needed strengthening was a left sided forward, indeed he wanted Clint Dempsey and continually targetted left sided forwards such as Konoplyanka/Willian/Sanchez etc yet we never, through both his fault and the committees, bought a proper one to the point we now have Coutinho playing there. This approach lacked direction and purpose, in fact by the end it appeared more a one for me and one for you approach which is frankly ridiculous.

To me it is very clear we need someone who could not only correct the mistakes of the past but would have a clear vision of what he wants and will stick to that. I believe we have that catalyst for change in Jürgen. I've stated at length why the approach to transfers will not only change but will be with a clear vision for the future. Each signing will have a purpose, no more Alberto/Assaidi/Sahin/Illori bullshit, players brought in that have a real chance of a future here and know what is expected of them both in terms of progression and position once they arrive. We wont have Emre Can playing at RB, Joe Gomez starting the season at LB, Raheem Sterling playing as striker. Of course in extreme cases we may require the odd game but not for prolonged periods as we have seen in the past.

The catalyst for change this time is Jürgen, now we either believe he is capable of producing what he has shown previously or we believe we will continue on either of the paths above. My views are clear on this, I don't think we're stuck in a perpetual cycle because I think Jürgen will be able to not only develop the players we buy but also have much more control on who we target. The second part of that appears to already show signs of being true judged on who we've bought so far, the first part does require a small amount of patience in relative terms. It's not a tomorrow never comes scenario it's a year Jürgen deserves to coach his first proper crop of signings, it's the least we should give any manager. Brendan was afforded it, it's not much to ask to afford Jürgen the same.

mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #25534: Jun 20, 2016 04:28:47 pm

Similar deal with us and Clyne. One year left on his deal going for just over 10m.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,974 posts | 5034 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #25535: Jun 20, 2016 04:29:07 pm
      You could be right about Ibe mate but I have a feeling Jürgen likes to keep hold of the young lads that have shown some talent and work with them before scrapping them.

Sakho finds out his fate in 3 weeks according to todays media mate.

I'm not sure about Stewart but I think Jürgen sees something in him and although he's 22 now there's still plenty he can improve on with some time on the training field.  Same with Chirivella, I know he had a mare in his last game but the talent is there.  Branners will be eased in, as will Ojo over the season.  As for Gomez, didn't Jürgen chuck a couple of 19 year old CBs into his team from the off?  Not sure if it was at Dortmund or at Mainz but I'm sure I've read that somewhere.

There's still a chance Gotze will come, the deal's there if he changes his mind but he might not be the big hit that people are hoping for straight away.  I've heard we haven't totally given up on doing a deal for Dahoud, now that one I'm really excited about if it happens.  I think he could be amazing for us despite his age.

I concur Debs, although Pedro will need a lot of time on the training pitch, he has a talent no doubt but so did Tex, young Stewart too has impressed but I feel he would only feature in the cup matches with having less games this season, and perhaps not enough to enhance his game, Branagan I think Jürgen will have more patience with, he sees something extra that perhaps he doesn't yet see in Pedro and Stewart, Ojo I believe will be used as a impact player, again I think Jürgen sees a special player and will play him as much as possible, I must admit although he went off the boil prior to his ACL Gomez was very impressive as LB is it possible Jürgen sees him in that position rather than at his favoured CB,?

He could of course use him for cover in both positions but he would need to concentrate on one so as not to F**k with his head, so a decision has to be made in that respect, now the lad Dahoud, not seen much of him play tbh so I'm going on the knowledge of others, I'd be surprised if Borussia would let him go this season but of what I have heard yes  I think he would be perfect for us,  let's hope we can land him !

YNWA
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,974 posts | 5034 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #25536: Jun 20, 2016 04:39:31 pm
      Wow, really?

He moved to Southampton for nearly the same fee I think. I'd have thought Southampton would want considerably more than what they paid in the first place.

I actually don't really rate him too highly anymore, think he has little other than destroying to his game. It doesn't make much sense to me, who would they drop for him?

Who gives a f**k, I'm only interested in who signs for us in a LFC forum, there is a thread called general football perhaps Hsc & you should have posted your interest there ,

Just saying like ?

YNWA
      KS67
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,475 posts | 463 
      Reply #25537: Jun 20, 2016 04:42:25 pm
      Who gives a f**k, I'm only interested in who signs for us in a LFC forum, there is a thread called general football perhaps you should have posted your interest there ,

Just saying like ?

YNWA

I love that you ended that post with 'YNWA' like that would make you seem less like a tw*t.

You have a point though, post deleted.

HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,031 posts | 1978 
      Reply #25538: Jun 20, 2016 04:43:48 pm
      People said exactly the same thing about our manager mate. If we sack Brendan who would we get etc etc.

Jürgen was unemployed.

I also think Jürgen is simply a rare breed. He likes a project, he likes a challenge, he is all about football. He likes the passion and he loves the game. We are a perfect fit for him. I may be wrong, but I very much doubt Jürgen will ever end up at a city, Chelsea or Psg.

I don't think there are many players out there, of that sort of calibre, who are like Jürgen.

crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #25539: Jun 20, 2016 04:46:20 pm

To keep it Liverpool related, Spurs probably saved us bidding £40m for him :D Think he's average. Can't pass and loves a booking.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #25540: Jun 20, 2016 04:49:12 pm
      Jürgen was unemployed.

I also think Jürgen is simply a rare breed. He likes a project, he likes a challenge, he is all about football. He likes the passion and he loves the game. We are a perfect fit for him. I may be wrong, but I very much doubt Jürgen will ever end up at a city, Chelsea or Psg.

I don't think there are many players out there, of that sort of calibre, who are like Jürgen.

Could not agree more with this statement.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #25541: Jun 20, 2016 04:55:04 pm
      The catalyst for change this time is Jürgen, now we either believe he is capable of producing what he has shown previously or we believe we will continue on either of the paths above.  My views are clear on this, I don't think we're stuck in a perpetual cycle because I think Jürgen will be able to not only develop the players we buy but also have much more control on who we target.  The second part of that appears to already show signs of being true judged on who we've bought so far, the second part does require a small amount of patience in relative terms.  It's not a tomorrow never comes scenario it's a year Jürgen deserves to coach his first proper crop of signings, it's the least we should give any manager.  Brendan was afforded it, it's not much to ask to afford Jürgen the same.

This is how I'm seeing it too Luke. 

We have the makings of a very good starting 11, it's slightly unbalanced in midfield and has some obvious weaknesses in defense but it seems these areas have already been identified, going off our targets, and some have already been addressed with those already signed.

We play a high line when defending but had a keeper who stayed glued to his line, we now have our sweeper keeper.  We needed another front foot CB that can head the ball, now we have him in Matip.

We still need a proper partner for Emre (is Zielinski that player?), we need some pace out wide to get behind defenders, score goals or provide assists (Mane seems the man) and we need some creativity from midfield (Gotze was the obvious choice).

It's joined up thinking on how recruitment should be if you want to have the best chance of new players making a difference.  It's not rocket science, you work out what qualities you lack and go find the players with those qualities. 

Doesn't matter how old they are, where they've played previously, how much they cost etc if they have the right skillset to fix your weaknesses you buy them because those skills transfer easier when they come naturally to the player.

HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,228 posts | 4421 
      Reply #25542: Jun 20, 2016 05:06:26 pm

Who gives a f**k, I'm only interested in who signs for us in a LFC forum, there is a thread called general football perhaps Hsc & you should have posted your interest there ,

Just saying like ?

YNWA

Sorry Bud didn't think it would cause such a sh*t storm but such are the ways on the forum these day.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #25543: Jun 20, 2016 05:16:04 pm

I concur Debs, although Pedro will need a lot of time on the training pitch, he has a talent no doubt but so did Tex, young Stewart too has impressed but I feel he would only feature in the cup matches with having less games this season, and perhaps not enough to enhance his game, Branagan I think Jürgen will have more patience with, he sees something extra that perhaps he doesn't yet see in Pedro and Stewart, Ojo I believe will be used as a impact player, again I think Jürgen sees a special player and will play him as much as possible, I must admit although he went off the boil prior to his ACL Gomez was very impressive as LB is it possible Jürgen sees him in that position rather than at his favoured CB,?

He could of course use him for cover in both positions but he would need to concentrate on one so as not to F**k with his head, so a decision has to be made in that respect, now the lad Dahoud, not seen much of him play tbh so I'm going on the knowledge of others, I'd be surprised if Borussia would let him go this season but of what I have heard yes  I think he would be perfect for us,  let's hope we can land him !

YNWA

I actually don't think game time is important for Jürgen mate, his developing happens on the training ground, it's why he was so annoyed that so many young lads weren't available to him when he arrived and why he brought everyone back from loan that he could.

The lads are training full time at Melwood now they only go back to the Academy for u21s/u18s games, they'll still do this but there'll be more behind closed doors friendlies I'd imagine as we started seeing last season.

There is absolutely not a cat in hells chance that Gomes will play at left back mate.  He might cover on the right but even then we'd have to have had a bad run of injuries in that position to play him there.  If we're short at left back, he'll bring someone in from the academy rather than play someone out of position and on their wrong side.  He's a right footed CB mate, that's where he needs to play if he's going to develop properly.

As for Dahoud, there's been talk that we're waiting till next summer but also that we've not given up on this summer.  I think with this one will depend on how much it'll cost to get our other targets in.  What I mean is we've spent £10m so far, there's another £10 for Zielinski and similar for Chilwell, Mane could be as much as £40m and Gotze another £25m. 

That's £95m in total and Dahoud is also going to cost around £25m-£30m maybe even more.  If we can offset that by selling Benteke for a similar amount, not impossible, then we may well go back in for him.  Or if Gotze doesn't arrive we could go for him. 

We're still at the musical chairs stage with this one mate but if you're not sure the type if player here's his player profile as done by SSN (footy manager).  http://www.skysports.com/football/news/15117/10240136/mahmoud-dahoud-profile-of-the-liverpool-and-tottenham-target
      PastorGeek
      • Not Actual Geek
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,623 posts | 759 
      Reply #25544: Jun 20, 2016 08:10:33 pm
      Spurs got Wanyama for 11 million while we're desperate for a DM, hes a good player IMO

I bet we end up paying 25 million for mane or ANY DM we end up signing.

Our transfer committee is dodgy mate ;D
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #25545: Jun 20, 2016 08:18:17 pm
      Spurs got Wanyama for 11 million while we're desperate for a DM, hes a good player IMO

We're not desperate for a DM mate and Mane isn't a DM anyway  :lmao:
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #25546: Jun 20, 2016 08:22:42 pm
      What a co-incidence we've offered £35m for Hamsik

http://www.90min.com/posts/3356919-italian-journalist-claims-liverpool-have-made-big-offer-for-napoli-star-marek-hamsik?a_aid=35322

What are the chances of that, on the night we play Slovakia. We're so lucky to get a chance to watch him straight away.... :lmao:
      PastorGeek
      • Not Actual Geek
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,623 posts | 759 
      Reply #25547: Jun 20, 2016 08:31:39 pm
      We're not desperate for a DM mate and Mane isn't a DM anyway  :lmao:

The point I was making is that we overpay for players. Not that Mane was a Defensive Midfielder.
      Christ, comprehension skills are low on this forum.  :roll:
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,228 posts | 4421 
      Reply #25548: Jun 20, 2016 10:04:46 pm

:lmao:

what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,506 posts | 4850 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #25549: Jun 20, 2016 10:46:41 pm
      Vicks86
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,635 posts | 273 
      Reply #25550: Jun 20, 2016 10:54:02 pm
      @JamesPearceEcho: Most of the targets are widely known. Chilwell, Gotze or Mane, Zielinski, Dahoud, possibly another CB

Looks like we are set to start the season with Moreno and Chilwell as our LBs, if we get the latter that is. IMHO, I think Dahoud will not happen this summer, just Zielinski. And we are just waiting for the Euros to end and Ancelotti to arrive at Bayern to get a clear picture of Gotze's state, otherwise we're dumping the cash at St. Mary's for Mane
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #25551: Jun 20, 2016 10:58:05 pm
      KS67
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,475 posts | 463 
      Reply #25552: Jun 20, 2016 11:08:36 pm
      @JamesPearceEcho: Most of the targets are widely known. Chilwell, Gotze or Mane, Zielinski, Dahoud, possibly another CB

Looks like we are set to start the season with Moreno and Chilwell as our LBs, if we get the latter that is. IMHO, I think Dahoud will not happen this summer, just Zielinski. And we are just waiting for the Euros to end and Ancelotti to arrive at Bayern to get a clear picture of Gotze's state, otherwise we're dumping the cash at St. Mary's for Mane

This. Except we aren't signing Gotze, we are just going to overpay for Mane.

Luckily this is surely bullshit.

Because if it isn't I'm genuinely giving up on us ever coming in the top four for the rest of this decade.

I can't imagine a better "we've given up trying to be good but you lot are too thick to demand better and keep buying shirts" signing.

Quick Reply