Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 29th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P8 W3 D3 L2

Oldham 3-2 Liverpool: In-game & post-match debating

Read 38025 times
      Jimsouse67
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,548 posts | 1495 
      Re: Oldham 3-2 Liverpool: In-game & post-match debating
      Reply #621: Jan 27, 2013 06:43:19 pm
      The thing that annoyed me more was the fact that he made no changes at half time,
      All that said to me was he was happy with first half performances
      From robinson,Coates and Allen.
      Carra and shelvey should have came on at the very start of the second half
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #622: Jan 27, 2013 06:43:57 pm
      I see the sh*te has starting hitting the fan already.

My Two penneth....

We where sh*te until Gerrard came on, Oldham wanted it so much more than us. Every fifty fifty was pulled out of by 'our' players, Oldham were committed and wanted it more than the lads we sent out. This match is what despairs me about Rodgers, as much as I like the man it seems that he misreads certain matches and as a manager that's a massive failing. Sometimes he seems to have a match winning mentality and sometimes it seems as though he's clueless. I thought Rafa was a bit discombobulating at times but I always 'got' him but Rodgers at times just baffles me with his starting line up, it's as if he has no idea how the opposition view his team and lacks foresight.

Till next time eh?
      Totally agree,that performance was diabolical,I said in the pre match thread that we should put our strongest 11 out to start with.While it is nice to see the young fellers given an opportunity it can be fatefull to have too much inexperience as was the case in this instance.I do not think there will be any need for a M.O.M. as I feel the whole team including the Boss let us down.I hope Brendan Rodgers learns the lesson about fielding the strongest team when we start the European games.I leave this thread very angry that we have not made progress in the F.A.Cup.
      Redangel

• 8,391 posts | 1025 
      Reply #623: Jan 27, 2013 06:45:49 pm
      My main worry about Brendan is that he is so desperate to prove his 'system is right' that sometimes he seems to forget that the main objective is to win. If you can play attractive passing football so much the better, but sometimes you just need to dig in for the win.
      We certainly didn't do ourselves justice today, I hope we get the win on Wednesday, because we all need lifting after that!
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,885 posts | 704 
      Reply #624: Jan 27, 2013 06:47:20 pm
      Quote from mcarz
      That team should have been more than capable of winning against a team that is facing relegation into League 2.

So what? This is an away game in the early rounds of the FA Cup. It's their cup final, and league form goes out the window. They're not Norwich, who'll sit back and let us play. They'll kick everything that moves and the ball on a bumpy pitch, and if you're not up for it, you'll pay the consequences.

The team sent out ultimately wasn't good enough to beat Oldham. You should field your strongest team, get the job done, then look to the challenges ahead.
      Fourbrick3
      • Forum Matt Busby

• 131 posts |
      Reply #625: Jan 27, 2013 06:48:02 pm
      First off, Learn to spell and secondly he wasn't in goal for us and didn't play sh*te for us !

Your quite right I was wrong in mis-spelling Rodgers. However learn to write correctly. The "L" in "learn" in your comment should have been in lower case. However RoDgers picked the wrong team for the conditions and the place.
      Norfolk Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,178 posts | 527 
      Reply #626: Jan 27, 2013 06:49:32 pm
      My two penneth,I am not going to knock the gaffers team selection,but am going to say how many of them really and I mean Really wanted it today.

And who the hell does Robinson think he is,telling Luis to F off,he's not good enough to clean Luis boots ffs!!!
      Back to the drawing board BR.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #627: Jan 27, 2013 06:49:51 pm
      Very poor performance. I expected us to be bullied in midfield with the team we put out, what I didn't expect is our F***ing defence to be bullied. A few players need to to take a long hard look at themselves and decide if they really want it enough.

Let us play our football and pass it around and we look good but every time we come up against a side that battles for the ball we just crumble. 
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,041 posts | 3966 
      Reply #628: Jan 27, 2013 06:50:11 pm
      If you don't think the team we fielded was strong enough to win the game before kick off then we're fu**ed for the rest of the season and you're WUM attitude is a joke! That team should have been more than capable of winning against a team that is facing relegation into League 2. People the other week were calling for some to be given a chance, the manager did that today and they shoved it right back in his face!

That was an under strength side that was fielded so you cannot pick somebody up for stating as much, if we have to negotiate the rest of the season with a skeleton squad under strength selections will not be a rarity.
      Some of the comments you glibly dismiss have more than a hint of truth in them; some players are not Liverpool material.
      andylfcynwa
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,367 posts | 1638 
      Reply #629: Jan 27, 2013 06:50:14 pm
      That team was good enough to beat Oldham home or away

Dont know how you make that statement to be honest ,that team wasn,t good enough to beat them as has been proved, As for people saying he had to rest players what utter fcking bollox ,thats two competitions that he has taken liberties with ,this season oh and guess what ,we are out of the two of them ,and the very same players people say should have been rested ended up playing anyway and trying to dig us out of a hole again ,never ever underestimate an opponent do so at your peril, at the moment BR seems to have that mantra down to a fine art.
      As for Jack telling luis to fck off i would fine the  c**t a months wages ,our top scorer blazing into the box and he decides to go for glory and fck it up entirely shocking display i know he is young but has gone a million miles backwards in his play and judging by today his whole attitude, not good enough young man take a long hard look in the mirror and give yourself a slap. Just so dissapointed today should have had our strongest possible 11 out there today ,fck worrying whats going to happen in two or three games time win the games your playing now then think of the next . 
      scouse_jatt
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 349 posts | 14 
      Reply #630: Jan 27, 2013 06:51:36 pm
      I tell you something that was absolutely horrendous, we deserved to lose, played with no heart whatsoever. The only player worthy of a mention was Stevie Gerrard. Coates, Jones, Robinson and Sterling were dreadful. Think Carra shoulda started aswell imo, there's no chance he woulda let that giant Smith player boss him around like what he did to Coates. Really disappointed so yet again back to the drawing board.  >:(

Also how people are saying that our line-up wasn't strong enough to beat Oldham is ridiculous. The only thing I'd change is Carragher starting over Skrtel, we needed a wise and experienced head with an inexperienced back 4 like that. Skrtel is overrated and the other 3 are too inexperienced.

Even more pissed off that we coulda got the toffee cu*ts at home next round.

Off topic - did anyone think that big Smith lad looked like the Russian boxer from the film Rocky IV?  :laugh:
      Jimsouse67

• 9,548 posts | 1495 
      Reply #631: Jan 27, 2013 06:51:55 pm
      My main worry about Brendan is that he is so desperate to prove his 'system is right' that sometimes he seems to forget that the main objective is to win. If you can play attractive passing football so much the better, but sometimes you just need to dig in for the win.
      We certainly didn't do ourselves justice today, I hope we get the win on Wednesday, because we all need lifting after that!
      Agreed,You can't play attractive football against the  likes of the oldhams of this world
      They just don't let you ,they get stuck into you and kick seven shades of sh*te out of you
      If they can & do.you get stuck in yourself as you say
      Reslivo
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,490 posts | 521 
      Reply #632: Jan 27, 2013 06:52:21 pm
      First off, Learn to spell and secondly he wasn't in goal for us and didn't play sh*te for us !
      Your quite right I was wrong in spelling Rodgers. However learn to write correctly. The "L" in "learn" in your comment should have been in lower case. However RoDgers picked the wrong team for the conditions and the place.

Such an ironic post, fourbrick.

But seriously, do us a favour guys and give that a rest please. I'm sure there's some sort of grammar thread in the Arkles you can visit if you really wish to brush up on your spelling, grammar and punctuation.
      canon40d
      • Forum John Toshack

• 262 posts |
      Reply #633: Jan 27, 2013 06:55:18 pm
      Well after our awfull display at mansfield not suprised at our defeat we deserved to lose. We must have known oldham would give 110%, but our players were not willing to give that much. Pity another chance of a trophy wasted. Would like to see oldham win the FA cup and see these millionaire EPL  players cry in there beer. 
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #634: Jan 27, 2013 06:57:14 pm
       Poor display from a poorly selected team, no question about it. Unfortunately it demonstrated that while we have numbers in the squad, we don't really have quality. Clearly Coates isn't going to ever be the big centre half who wins the aerial battles, and I can understand the managers desire to move him on. Jones was awful and isn't going to be the answer if Pepe moves on (as I think he will). Robinson is a player I like but he was terrible today and has gone backwards, ditto Stirling. If Gerrard doesn't play our whole team doesn't function (and I thought he was absolutely magnificent wehen he came on) while Sturridge had one of those games today which makes it easier to understand why Chelsea fans didn't really take to him. Henderson and Downing remain enigmatic, while Borini and Allen still have much to prove.

In fairness to them, the centre forward would give anyone problems and they played well. I do have a theory as to why the lower league teams are doing well this year and it is this: So watered down is the Premiership these days in terms of physical contact, so sanitised is it in terms of tackling, that when the players come up against teams who physically compete they are left wanting. This is why teams like Stoke prosper in the league, you don't come up against physicality any more so teams can't deal with it. We didn't deal with it today, and not for the first time were bullied out of it.
      Aggeraphobia
      • Forum Geoff Strong

• 212 posts |
      Reply #635: Jan 27, 2013 07:01:16 pm
      Poor display from a poorly selected team, no question about it. Unfortunately it demonstrated that while we have numbers in the squad, we don't really have quality. Clearly Coates isn't going to ever be the big centre half who wins the aerial battles, and I can understand the managers desire to move him on. Jones was awful and isn't going to be the answer if Pepe moves on (as I think he will). Robinson is a player I like but he was terrible today and has gone backwards, ditto Stirling. If Gerrard doesn't play our whole team doesn't function (and I thought he was absolutely magnificent wehen he came on) while Sturridge had one of those games today which makes it easier to understand why Chelsea fans didn't really take to him. Henderson and Downing remain enigmatic, while Borini and Allen still have much to prove.

In fairness to them, the centre forward would give anyone problems and they played well. I do have a theory as to why the lower league teams are doing well this year and it is this: So watered down is the Premiership these days in terms of physical contact, so sanitised is it in terms of tackling, that when the players come up against teams who physically compete they are left wanting. This is why teams like Stoke prosper in the league, you don't come up against physicality any more so teams can't deal with it. We didn't deal with it today, and not for the first time were bullied out of it.

This bit I wholly agree with, thought after the Stoke match that we badly need some of that bite and aggression, all too few of our players even have it. And the standards of the Premiership were shown today as well with Skrtel, hard as nails in the league, shown as average today. Need more players with the attitude of Carra and a midfield enforcer if we want to compete with teams like this and bully other teams. Combining pass and move with aggression would be far more successful than nancying around with tika-taka.

edit: actually agree with the rest but still think Coates and Robbo could come good.
      DaveMac82
      • Forum Gary McAllister

• 90 posts |
      Reply #636: Jan 27, 2013 07:01:26 pm

Some good points raised there I quite agree with you. Great point about Stoke at the end, by playing no Football what so ever and by playing to their strength's which less face it is "hoof football" they are a respectable 10th place in the league and only 5 points behind us.
      scouse_jatt
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 349 posts | 14 
      Reply #637: Jan 27, 2013 07:02:05 pm
      I do have a theory as to why the lower league teams are doing well this year and it is this: So watered down is the Premiership these days in terms of physical contact, so sanitised is it in terms of tackling, that when the players come up against teams who physically compete they are left wanting. This is why teams like Stoke prosper in the league, you don't come up against physicality any more so teams can't deal with it. We didn't deal with it today, and not for the first time were bullied out of it.

And people still insist the Premier League is the best league in the world. For entertainment it probably is, but for quality F**k is it!
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #638: Jan 27, 2013 07:03:09 pm

Every now and then you come up with something original that really makes me think Mick.
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,605 posts | 1683 
      • YNWA
      Reply #639: Jan 27, 2013 07:12:33 pm
      Agree, strange we didn't start Carra over Coates. Carra is made for that kinda battle today.
      Disappointed with Coates. Thought he was going to be a player - has the height, and he can be decent on the ball. Fill out a bit more and no reason why he shouldn't be dominating the area. But it hasn't worked out. Maybe he just hasn't settled after the transfer, but he doesn't really look to be enjoying things, and getting really stuck in, when he gets his game.
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,288 posts | 937 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Reply #640: Jan 27, 2013 07:14:04 pm
      The whole team were shocking, defence, midfield, and attack. We were also intimidated by a strong physical team, we had no answer to there tactics. The manager was also to blame, Coates was out of his depth Cara would have flourished against Smith but the change was never made. A home tie against Everton would have been our reward but instead we will be back on the back pages for the wrong reasons, again. Who are going to fear us if we collapse the way we did today.
      Dannylfc

• 5,010 posts | 174 
      • Always in our shadow.
      Reply #641: Jan 27, 2013 07:15:59 pm
      Agree, strange we didn't start Carra over Coates. Carra is made for that kinda battle today.

You'd of probably had people in here screaming why Carra was starting ahead of Coates in  that case mate.

Doubt you'll get many arguing that after this performance.
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,728 posts | 3945 
      Reply #642: Jan 27, 2013 07:16:30 pm
      Dog F***ing sh*t day at the office. I'm getting abuse from all angles here.

Only upside is that we go out Wednesday and turn it F***ing on. This season has been so weird. It's one step forward and two steps F***ing back everytime.

Coates just lost about £3m of his price tag today, another dogshit signing from Comoli and Kenny. He is officially a donkey for Liverpool.

Praying for a proper performance and league run these coming weeks.

Come on lads, step it up! YNWA
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #643: Jan 27, 2013 07:17:21 pm
      Oldham, League 1.

I beg to differ

Oldham 3 - Liverpool 2... beg to differ all you want Rush but, when push comes to shove, the team picked weren't good enough and "should have been good enough" is therefore moot.

Our biggest problem was a back five who hadn't played together much (if at all). Now, to be fair, I'm not so sure this was down to Brendan as injuries will have played a part. That said; the changes in the middle and up front made things even more difficult when the going got tough.

"Rotation" is fine when you have the depth to do it comfortably but let's be honest here; we (fans and manager) have been crying about a paper-thin squad all season. Rotate such a squad and you will always run the risk of results like this and subsequently you'll have to face up to the criticism should things go tits up.

Brendan believed the team, he selected, was up to the job, they weren't, he'll be criticised, end of story. He undoubtedly selected the team with one eye on the Arsenal game; why? Well because 'the league is a priority this season'.

A good league position keeps a manager in a job: cups, it would seem, don't but the truth is; if we lose or draw to Arsenal on Wednesday, then we will have rested players in vain. That is the gamble which Brendan has taken. A gamble which, like it or not, brings with it the risk of criticism. He knows and accepts that: so should me and you.

Quick Reply