Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 23rd of May and on this date LFC's match record is P9 W4 D1 L4

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Who gets your vote for MOTM?

Sturridge
      142 (89.9%)
      Carragher
      3 (1.9%)
      Lucas
      6 (3.8%)
      Johnson
      3 (1.9%)
      Other
      4 (2.5%)

Total Members Voted: 154

Voting closed: Feb 10, 2013 06:30:53 pm

Man City 2-2 Liverpool: In-Game and Post Match Analysis

Read 38250 times
      alex1995
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,193 posts | 165 
      Re: Man City 2-2 Liverpool: In-Game and Post Match Analysis
      Reply #667: Feb 03, 2013 06:39:39 pm
      If people are going to get at Reina, and I understand why, they had better have a go at Skrtel because he had the ball covered and should have hoofed it along with Aguero.

Skrtel might have been wrong but there was no imminent danger since there was no City player in the box and there was no rush. Even if Skrtel  made a mistake it does not mean he should make on too.
      AlexLFC95
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,393 posts | 56 
      Reply #668: Feb 03, 2013 06:39:50 pm
      Im assuming Reina called to Skrtel that it was his. This is on Pepe.
      Fourbrick3
      • Forum Matt Busby

• 131 posts |
      Reply #669: Feb 03, 2013 06:40:43 pm
      I think for the first time this season I saw Downing beat a man. Unfortunately, it was himself.
      Monobrow
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,425 posts | 27 
      Reply #670: Feb 03, 2013 06:40:49 pm
      I think some players set the standards for themselves so low that everything better than that is called "good" or at the very least "solid".

Downing wasn't good today, this kind of performance wouldn't get him in any top team in the league, and he still struggles to beat his man which is unbeliveable for a supposedly experienced "top" winger.

Yes he wasn't piss poor and he did get involved in some interesting plays but saying he's good is setting the standards for the team way too low IMHO.

It's a bit like Andy last season... of course he improved near the end of the season but only in one or two matches he was indeed "fantastic" as opposed to the amount of times I've seen this word being used here... all in all he wasn't good enough and despite showing improvement, I don't think it meant he was good enough for us at all.

Sorry Diego, I like your posts usually but you're starting to sound like you have an agenda against Downing now.

Think he's been consistently good since around Christmas time. Had a good game tonight also.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #671: Feb 03, 2013 06:41:26 pm
      Im assuming Reina called to Skrtel that it was his. This is on Pepe.

I agree that most of the responsibility should lie with Pepe but you've based that on an assumption that you have no evidence to support it...
      LondonRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,000 posts | 46 
      Reply #672: Feb 03, 2013 06:42:24 pm
      Who is this t*t on 606?
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,333 posts | 2834 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #673: Feb 03, 2013 06:43:31 pm
      Sorry Diego, I like your posts usually but you're starting to sound like you have an agenda against Downing now.

Think he's been consistently good since around Christmas time. Had a good game tonight also.

No problem, it's all about opinions. I personally think you have low standards if you consider Downing's performances good.

Better? Definitely. Good? A long way to go for him.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #674: Feb 03, 2013 06:44:58 pm

He had an OK game today, I agree that he has been consistently good since Christmas. I also think that Downing did all he could against a full back like Clichy who has very good pace. Downing used his pace on occasions against others like when he sprinted past Barry and Garcia, they may not be the quickest but he was like 10 yards behind them to start with.
      AlexLFC95
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,393 posts | 56 
      Reply #675: Feb 03, 2013 06:45:38 pm

Statisticians Opta on Twitter: "8 - Since the start of last season Jose Reina has made eight errors leading directly to a goal in the Premier League. Misjudge."
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,682 posts | 6976 
      Reply #676: Feb 03, 2013 06:46:10 pm
      Thought we played well.  Deserved the win.

Disappointing from Reina.  Sadly not the first time either.  Not quite sure of the tactical decision taking off Sturridge 5 minutes from the end bringing on Allen.  Thought we were in the ascendancy and the winner was on the cards.

Would have been nice to have got 3 points out of either Arsenal or City, but we'll have to take the 2.  Onwards and upwards.

Let's not fall on our arses against WBA and Swansea at Anfield.
      Monobrow
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,425 posts | 27 
      Reply #677: Feb 03, 2013 06:47:07 pm
      No problem, it's all about opinions. I personally think you have low standards if you consider Downing's performances good.

Better? Definitely. Good? A long way to go for him.

I understand what you're saying but being consistent is half the battle and I think he's starting to show some consistency now.

I honestly think he's doing a good job recently and that our problems are definitely not in that position right now. He's definitely better as an inside forward than a left winger.

He didn't have an outstanding game today but I would call it a good performance.

Bpatel
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,902 posts | 158 
      Reply #678: Feb 03, 2013 06:48:28 pm
      On another note. Two great goals that should be the talking points of the match. (not counting Aguero's because i don't care about his)

Nice to see Enrique carrying on the same form before his injury, not quite as sharp in his passing but that's forgiveable considering. Hope Sturridge's injury isn't too bad.

I'm loving the rejuvenated Carragher. Thought he was brilliant again.

Overall, great performance. Just no more silly mistakes now and we'll go places.
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,285 posts | 935 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Reply #679: Feb 03, 2013 06:52:36 pm
      Thought Brendon's face told a thousand story's after Pepe,s mistake
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,285 posts | 935 
      Reply #680: Feb 03, 2013 06:59:21 pm
      Agreed. I don't think Downing was bad at all. He's just the team whipping boy so whenever he doesn't have a "great" performance he's an easy target.
      Downing was available for the ball today he just never done anything with it from crosses to shooting, the only one in the team, well done the rest
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #681: Feb 03, 2013 07:00:50 pm
      Disappointed but not discouraged, thought it the most entertaining match of the weekend and was proud how we played a full 90 minuets. Whether it be Skrtels snafu in the first game or Pepe's in this one, the little mistakes are whats killing us. Voted Sturridge as MOM, just think he and Luis ball skills are head and shoulders over everyone else on our squad; can't honestly see how people could doubt his transfer with the kind of performances he has put in.

Thought the Gaffer had it right today though I still scratch my head on the Allen/Sturridge sub...everything else was spot on.

Going to be real hard capturing 4th but I do believe we can improve on our points tally and position of last season as well as do decently in Europa. I think we are improving and the quality (not quantity) of the squad is improving and we are moving forward; look forward to seeing our new signing soon and to pushing those clubs in front of us.
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,285 posts | 935 
      Reply #682: Feb 03, 2013 07:01:38 pm
      On another note. Two great goals that should be the talking points of the match. (not counting Aguero's because i don't care about his)

Unfortunately they all count,
      Tadders

• 6,831 posts | 580 
      Reply #683: Feb 03, 2013 07:03:13 pm
      Does anybody doubt that if the Zabaleta\Hart back pass cock up was Skrtel\Pepe that it wouldn't have resulted in a goal?
      kevinho
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,698 posts | 78 
      • YNWA
      Reply #684: Feb 03, 2013 07:20:35 pm
      In a vacuum, these are two excellent results. We should lose both games based on them being away at teams better than us. On a game analysis level, it's disappointing to only get 2 points. But I think most of us would've taken that at the beginning of the week.

Sturridge MOTM for me. Excellent all around. I'm surprised how good his hold up play is.

I think we still need a true #10. Maybe Suso gets there one day, maybe not. It's the one position I think we are truly lacking.
      frizzby5
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 18,362 posts | 627 
      Reply #685: Feb 03, 2013 07:21:02 pm
      Just finished watching on catch up, What a F***ing game that was ! I predicted a 2-1 win and coming from behind as well,  only an error from Pepe and a tw*t of a goal from Aguera spoilt a perfect day for me.
      A wonderful TEAM performance, for me Gerrard, Carra, Sturridge and Henderson all stood out for me today.
      I honestly think we've turned a corner after the last two results, although draws they were against top teams,  Like J.D said lets not F**k it up now by stalling against WBA and Swansea.
      AlexLFC95
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,393 posts | 56 
      Reply #686: Feb 03, 2013 07:22:12 pm
      I agree that most of the responsibility should lie with Pepe but you've based that on an assumption that you have no evidence to support it...

Well judging from how Skrtel was running full pelt and then slowed before Reina came into it, it would seem that a call was made. If there was no call then Pepe is even more in the wrong.
      SEANOBYRNE78
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 723 posts |
      Reply #687: Feb 03, 2013 07:39:00 pm
      We were the better team throughout this game just a shame we could not capitalise,the whole team played well with Suarez maybe a little less affective then he has been of late.....good to see we are more then capable of mixing it with the so called top 4 !
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #688: Feb 03, 2013 07:40:13 pm
       That was the best we've played for a year or three, tip top performance. Only minus is both goals we conceded were very poor. Particularly the first one where Agger gets just about everything Wrong it is possible he could have got wrong. For the second, Reina misjudges it and I'm convinced Aguero is simply hooking it goalwards and gets a bit lucky.
      Scottbot

• 9,625 posts | 2160 
      Reply #689: Feb 03, 2013 07:41:57 pm
      What an excellent performance that was. Absolutely gutted to only come away with a point given that we DOMINATED the game for large periods. 22 shots at the champions is no mean feat and that's double what they managed. We didn't get the result we deserved but I hope the lads take confidence and the positives from the performance into the rest of the season because we really looked the part out there today. Real shame about the equaliser, error of judgement from Reina but when you watch it agin you have to hold your hands up and say it was a hell of a finish from Aguero.

Quick Reply