Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W11 D6 L12

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Man of the Match: Mancs v LFC

Simon Mignolet
      15 (17.2%)
      Kolo Toure
      19 (21.8%)
      Jose Enrique
      10 (11.5%)
      Martin Skrtel
      5 (5.7%)
      Mamadou Sakho
      8 (9.2%)
      Steven Gerrard
      0 (0%)
      Lucas Leiva
      10 (11.5%)
      Jordan Henderson
      1 (1.1%)
      Luis Suarez
      18 (20.7%)
      Daniel Sturridge
      1 (1.1%)
      Victor Moses
      0 (0%)
      Raheem Sterling
      0 (0%)
      Martin Kelly
      0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 84

Voting closed: Sep 28, 2013 09:56:18 pm

Man Utd 1-0 Liverpool: In Game and Post Match Debate

Read 34012 times
      TonioLerouge
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,170 posts | 59 
      Re: Man Utd 1-0 Liverpool: In Game and Post Match Debate
      Reply #598: Sep 26, 2013 10:07:59 am
      I don't see that much reasons to be negative.

Out of finishing issues our display was far better than the second half against Swansea or the whole game against Southampton, the number of corners we got is proof enough for me it's mostly bad luck we didn't scored one or two ; and unlike in all previous games of the season we attacked in the two halves.

About individual performances, for sure Henderson had a mare, and Kelly and Sterling failed to have an impact, out of that I don't see huge problems. Gerrard for sure is not at his best level (like he wasn't in the first months played of every season since 5 or 6 years) but I think we must be accustomed now that he is a slow starter, and can be sure he'll play better some months in the future. Out of his only defensive error costing us the goal, I've found Enrique rather impressive for someone who only returned from injury less than a week ago, and not only I don't support the abuse he gets here or there in this thread, but I logically voted for him in the MotM poll. Finally while Luis may have been a bit wasteful in his attempts, he showed all the commitment we could expect, and without the behavior issues that were my main fear seeing him return in a derby.  Luis and Sturridge may lack perfect understanding to play together, but they clearly tried to combine in many occasions, and IMO after a few games they will be a devastating pair.

Finally about the "second rate" Man U team we were playing against, I'm sorry but I don't see how a team with players like Rooney, Chicharito and Kagawa inside can be considered an easy win on their turf. These players alone are easily same level than the best we have (out of Luis, and even, an in-form Rooney is certainly worth a not match fit Luis), and any squad member of Utd is certainly better than our average. Still it's mostly luck (or our unability to finish while we spent more time in their half) that gave Man U this short victory.
      And about the league cup, I may be too optimistic, but I think being actually in top4 despite bad displays, we have serious chances to get into Europe or even CL from the league, it wasn't really a priority.

I think many people are just venting out their frustrations because they won't be able to taunt their manc friends like they hoped. Out of this, I see nothing terribly dramatic in this game.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,434 posts | 3417 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #599: Sep 26, 2013 10:11:24 am
      I can't see how luck comes into it, again letting poor goals in, strange tactics from the manager, Moses, Sturridge and Suarez were far too close together and there was little width, midfield too deep, no change in formation to chase the game
      BKLFC
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 822 posts |
      Reply #600: Sep 26, 2013 10:11:43 am
      ^ Our performance was not bad against a Moyes brained tinkered second string attack and a virtual strongest starting 11. POOP.
      BKLFC
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 822 posts |
      Reply #601: Sep 26, 2013 10:13:04 am
      Oh and Tonio its not about just this game look at our start to season performances too.
      BKLFC
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 822 posts |
      Reply #602: Sep 26, 2013 10:15:21 am
      I finally sussed out why United won.

It was the plan all along to prolong the life of Moyes at United.
      TonioLerouge
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,170 posts | 59 
      Reply #603: Sep 26, 2013 10:18:38 am
      Oh and Tonio its not about just this game look at our start to season performances too.

Yes but precisely IMO Liverpool played better in this game than in all those games where we just stopped to play, and prayed to be able to keep a result after a lucky early goal.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,611 posts | 3844 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #604: Sep 26, 2013 10:23:55 am
      Both teams were sh*te.

Liverpool nullified United early on, but the counter attack continued to break down.
      Sloppy possession cost us in the first half.

Being asleep on one F***ing set piece cost us in the second.

The formation seemed to work fine.
      The execution of it up front was off.

We all know Sturridge could have been rested for this.
      Moses hasn't looked 100% fit either.

I think we should have given Alberto and Sterling a run up front.
      Hindsight is great though.
      BKLFC
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 822 posts |
      Reply #605: Sep 26, 2013 10:23:59 am
      They played better but that sorta play doesn't inspire me nothing. So poop.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 16,500 posts | 4839 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #606: Sep 26, 2013 10:30:12 am
      Its only taken an injury to Coutinho and Johnson for the whole system to look fu**ed.

Without an injury to Lucas or Stevie the midfield looks tired after sixty in every single game.

I roll my eyes right and look back at the Summer and wonder why the f**k DM wasn't addressed and then I roll my eyes left and start slightly wishing away towards the January window.

I'm sick to f**king death of looking forward to transfer windows because the last one was sh*te.

We need to get back on track against Sunderland but the manager needs to change it up and earn his salt.

There's a team there that I don't think he is getting the best out of. We can continue to go stale or we can refresh.

Down to Rodgers to get us going again by changing it up and its up to the players to respond.

Starts with the gaffer though.

what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 16,500 posts | 4839 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #607: Sep 26, 2013 10:37:26 am
      I think we should have given Alberto and Sterling a run up front.
      Hindsight is great though.

Not so much hindsight mate, it been there to see.

Our lack of width has been plain to see when we struggle to get the ball up the pitch whilst the midfield has looked laboured and energyless.

Hendo in the middle for energy and a Streling or Ibe on the right for width. Got to work with what we've got and for me we should be going 4-3-3 with Gerrard more advanced than Lucas but dropping back in when required with Hendo.

Johnson, for all of his sins is missed. I've been one to say he doesn't do 'this or that' enough but now he's not there.......
      ORCHARD RED
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #608: Sep 26, 2013 11:51:05 am
      One positive from the game, I predicted the score!  ;)
      Passportboy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,608 posts | 109 
      • Yippeeeee
      Reply #609: Sep 26, 2013 12:42:13 pm
      Seriously if you think all is well good luck to you mate.

I don't, but I respect you do.

Do I think all is good, no... But will I sit about and berate our players and manager for losing by one goal to Utd in a game where we could have easily scored, no.

To be honest its easy to say 'we got away with it' against teams where we won - but what does that actually mean..? Nothing, not a bit. I remeber watching Villa going up 3-1 against Utd only to lose and people saying Utd 'got away with it' and yes they did - but they won the league that season. Personally I would like to get away with it all season and win the prem! A win is a win - and good teams win playing badly at times...

Honestly, I dont know what people expect here. After 1 game this season Arsenal were lucky to get top 4 they are now top of the league. Spurs who are the envy of people on here it seems are 2 points ahead of us and have spent over £100 Million to get there - and the Chavs had had a shocking start yet are 4th. Were 3 points ahead of Utd, who by anyones reconing have won the league and Moyes is a legend - well according to the papaer this morning.

Yes, I will always be optimistic and I honestly dont care if I am deluded. However, I would rather spend my time thinking about nextweek and the win and where that will leave us after the games have all been played. Its much better than worrying and slagging off the players and manager...

Success breeds success, in an environment where you constantly focus on the negative elements what do you think will happen?
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #610: Sep 26, 2013 01:19:03 pm
      I actually thought we played fairly well in the match and for once had a decent second half so that was a positive. Having said that Utd were woefull and we should have beaten them easily. The problem is still the central midfield and until Gerrard and/or Lucas are replaced we will not get 4th spot, no chance in hell. Brendan needs to be brave here and drop at least one of them.
      Oh and can I suggest that in the next training session we do some shooting practice, the amount of efforts going well wide of the mark would have been bloody embarassing for pub team footballers let alone professionals!
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,265 posts | 2827 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #611: Sep 26, 2013 01:21:41 pm
      Just to add a positive we wont be that b ad in the final third all season. Were what 7 games in between league and cup. If we can tweek 1 or 2 things mainly our final ball I think we will be decent this season
      kelvo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,207 posts | 52 
      Reply #612: Sep 26, 2013 02:07:04 pm
      Just hope all that attended that shithole last night got in / out ok.

The police had no idea what was going on and it was kicking off everywhere around me at the final whistle.

So back down to earth with a bump, two defeats and no goals.

If we cant beat this United side (who were sh*te) then we need to seriously look at ourselves again. Some of our players are just not good enough..its that simple.
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #613: Sep 26, 2013 02:20:16 pm
      Do I think all is good, no... But will I sit about and berate our players and manager for losing by one goal to Utd in a game where we could have easily scored, no.

To be honest its easy to say 'we got away with it' against teams where we won - but what does that actually mean..? Nothing, not a bit. I remeber watching Villa going up 3-1 against Utd only to lose and people saying Utd 'got away with it' and yes they did - but they won the league that season. Personally I would like to get away with it all season and win the prem! A win is a win - and good teams win playing badly at times...

Honestly, I dont know what people expect here. After 1 game this season Arsenal were lucky to get top 4 they are now top of the league. Spurs who are the envy of people on here it seems are 2 points ahead of us and have spent over £100 Million to get there - and the Chavs had had a shocking start yet are 4th. Were 3 points ahead of Utd, who by anyones reconing have won the league and Moyes is a legend - well according to the papaer this morning.

Yes, I will always be optimistic and I honestly dont care if I am deluded. However, I would rather spend my time thinking about nextweek and the win and where that will leave us after the games have all been played. Its much better than worrying and slagging off the players and manager...

Success breeds success, in an environment where you constantly focus on the negative elements what do you think will happen?

You obviously don't read my posts

Fair enough

As I said I hope you're right
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,331 posts | 6386 
      Reply #614: Sep 26, 2013 03:17:47 pm
      It seems we were the better side, but once again undone by lax marking on a set piece.
      That's not much of an endorsement considering the team they fielded.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,611 posts | 3844 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #615: Sep 26, 2013 03:29:04 pm
      That's not much of an endorsement considering the team they fielded.

De Gea, Rafael Da Silva, Smalling, Evans, Buttner, Jones, Giggs, Nani, Rooney, Kagawa, Hernandez.

Hardly the F***ing reserves.
      LFC fans falling for Utd bullshit?

De Gea, Rafael, Jones, Giggs, Nani, Rooney, Kagawa. Arguably in the best 11. That's 7 of the 11.
      Smalling, Evans could be ahead of Ferdinand as I think he's been terrible this season.
      Hernandez one of the most potent poachers around, underused by United.
      So, eh, Buttner, who Ferguson threw in last year and was a quality player when given the chance.

Yeah, sh*t team that.
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,517 posts | 1508 
      • "If you are second, you are nothing."
      Reply #616: Sep 26, 2013 04:23:10 pm
      I don't think Agger (who didn't play, granted), Enrique, Henderson, and Sterling are good enough. Simple as that. We can bang the drum all night but the fact is, they are not good enough (imho). Subs at best because they are too inconsistent - for whatever reason.

Gerrard looks jaded. It's not that he doesn't care, it's not that he's knackered, he's jaded. He needs a break but how do you leave him out?

Sturridge looked like our number 2 with Suarez our number one. I think he thrives on being number one, so he's going to have to adapt.

Also think the boss got it wrong as well. Playing Hendo in Moses' position, playing Moses in Coutinho's position, and leaving Alberto on the bench - who can play in Coutinho's position.

Pretty sure if we'd have gone to extra time we'd have won, with Suarez getting closer and closer, but you cannot account for such crap defensive decisions by experienced player. But that's my point, Enrique, Agger, they aren't good enough. On their day yes, but they don't get many 'on their days'.

Just needed to vent.
      Dannylfc

• 5,010 posts | 174 
      • Always in our shadow.
      Reply #617: Sep 26, 2013 04:33:13 pm
      Thought we were the better side, defended well, barring another shocker from a set piece.

On another day when Suarez & Sturridge are abit sharper we could of bagged a couple. Wasn't to be.
      Ebieahi
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 382 posts | 45 
      Reply #618: Sep 26, 2013 05:57:49 pm
      We played well in patches and looked poor upfront which ultimately cost us coz we created more "potential" scoring chances than them.
      I would like to remain optimistic that the manager can learn from his mistakes. I reckon the past 2 games were a sort of experimentation for BR wrt Moses and the backline as to everybody's possible positions.
      Im sure in hindsight he should have rested Sturridge, Gerrard/Lucas, Toure and played Ilori, Ibe, Alberto and Aspas, but i got a feeling he is still figuring out his best formation with this squad.

Im not gonna go into meltdown and claim midtable is where we are heading, however BR needs to get his tactics sorted out very quickly, coz we have to win the next 4-5 league games to remain in touch while Coutinho recovers.
      bigears

• 6,125 posts | 287 
      • My bird looks great in red
      Reply #619: Sep 26, 2013 08:11:56 pm
      Just hope all that attended that shithole last night got in / out ok.

The police had no idea what was going on and it was kicking off everywhere around me at the final whistle.

So back down to earth with a bump, two defeats and no goals.

If we cant beat this United side (who were sh*te) then we need to seriously look at ourselves again. Some of our players are just not good enough..its that simple.
      Except from trying to hold my piss for what seemed an eternity  after the game  everything else went good , I swore I wouldn't sing suarez song but with the drink and all the crack at the bar I couldn't stop myself .
      Brilliant Babbel
      • Forum Roger Hunt

• 510 posts | 10 
      Reply #620: Sep 26, 2013 08:16:31 pm
      I don't think Agger (who didn't play, granted), Enrique, Henderson, and Sterling are good enough. Simple as that. We can bang the drum all night but the fact is, they are not good enough (imho). Subs at best because they are too inconsistent - for whatever reason.
      Agger and Enrique are good players and should, when on the top of their game, be in the first 11.

It's a bit harsh to be writing off Stirling, he's only 18 and still learning his game. Should he be starting?  No, but he needs games to improve and will feature one way or another.

Quick Reply