Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 29th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P8 W3 D3 L2

Would you rather: A Liverpool team w/Luis Suarez, or 60m+ of new players?

Read 10517 times
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,041 posts | 3966 
      Re: Would you rather: A Liverpool team w/Luis Suarez, or 60m+ of new players?
      Reply #69: Dec 05, 2013 10:32:38 am
      Billy ,remember what happened to Kenny Dalglish when he went to Boston for a tea party with JWH.In all seriousness Fenway should be well aware that we need to keep Luis Suarez on a long term contract as well signing top class players to give us that extra push.

FSG do not seem overly concerned with the long term footballing issues Billy, knowing exactly nothing about the game and with no wish to change that situation the omens are not good.
      IrishRed_IO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,486 posts | 350 
      • Formerly InertObject
      Reply #70: Dec 05, 2013 10:34:52 am
      Reinvesting cash from a player sold does not always work. It's not worked for us before.

Also look at Spurs they basically bought a new squad full of talented players but they have not gelled properly at all.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,041 posts | 3966 
      Reply #71: Dec 05, 2013 10:47:01 am
      "His fourth goal was average and it was a 30-yard free-kick, so I think that sums his performance up." - Gerrard on Suarez.

2nd best thing FSG have done for this club was rejecting the bid for him.

As a commercial enterprise would you have sold an asset that was sure to increase in value within any set time scale?
      The best thing FSG could have done for the good of the club was surround Luis with quality, instead they made sufficient promises to keep him here a while longer while his potential fee predictably rocketed.
      AmericanPlant
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,248 posts | 170 
      Reply #72: Dec 05, 2013 10:58:48 am
      I agree with the eminent and esteemed writers at Rawk, that we are so lucky to see visit here. Suarez is bad for the brand. He is bad for our impeccable sponsors Standard Chartered. He hogs the ball too much, earns too much money, is statistically rubbish ( using my PHD in Theoretical Bullshitnomics I can prove this), he doesn't win us any matches, and we could buy 5 Jay Boothroyds giving us strength in depth for the all important financial payday  of 4th spot.
        :lmao:

Back to reality, I think Luis answered the above question last night.

PS isn't it amazing. Someone  uses the sale of Mascher, Xabi and Arbeloa to JUSTIFY the sale of Luis. 
      Now personally, I cant exactly remember when the purchases of Poulsen, Adam, Allen and Co catapulted us above the team of the Rafa era..

Obviously this forum is a portal into a parallel reality.
      :roll:
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,506 posts | 4850 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #73: Dec 05, 2013 11:08:05 am
      PS isn't it amazing. Someone  uses the sale of Mascher, Xabi and Arbeloa to JUSTIFY the sale of Luis.

Somebody actually typed that? Exactly why I didn't bother reading the posts apart from the OP
      AmericanPlant
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,248 posts | 170 
      Reply #74: Dec 05, 2013 11:11:24 am
      Luis is all the more remarkable given that his two "rivals" (Ronaldo and Messi) play at much stronger teams. And usually against weaker opposition.

Luis has barely had a break in the past 5 yrs. And his player of the S American Champions award/ performances for Uruguay (over Messi and others) really hammers home just how gifted he is.

Compared to Argentinians, I think his 2 rivals are Messi and Maradona.
      Compared to Brazillians since Pele, I would say Ronaldinho and Ronaldo. I'd put him ahead of Rivaldo. And Neymar is still young.
      Compared to others..I'd put him ahead of Stoichkov and Weah, Rummenigge, Platini etc. Similar league to Gullit, Cruyff, Beckenbauer. Prob ahead of Zidane. Ahead of Rooney and Bergkamp.

Today there are Falcao, Negredo, Cavani, Ribery etc behind him IMO

I'm not well up on the pre-Keegan era at Liverpool. But looking at our own top players after then - Kenny, Rushie, Fowler, Torres, Barnes, arguably the young Owen.

Kenny had a mental elegance as a creator, whereas Luis is often like a "drunken monkey style kung fu master" (which btw is a huge compliment). Robbie deteriorated very soon, lost his youthful pace, but was more of a "natural finisher". Barnes was similarly rounded to Luis, but started deteriorating VERY early in his career. Torres was a fantastic c fwd, but not the all round creator/attack starter etc.

So I honestly think that if Luis was surrounded by top top quality (but still our focal pt) I think he could shine even more. Rather than being a livewire, I think every touch could be deadly. That sort of thing.
      I mean Sturridge has really helped his game.

Bottom line is, I suspect that Luis should be considered our best ever player. His closest rival would be the v early Barnes who played in a much better team. While Kenny was more brain and elegance(in a stronger team), he didn't have the array of wizardry Luis has.
      AmericanPlant
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,248 posts | 170 
      Reply #75: Dec 05, 2013 11:17:38 am
      Reinvesting cash from a player sold does not always work. It's not worked for us before.

Also look at Spurs they basically bought a new squad full of talented players but they have not gelled properly at all.

Sale of Souness- fu**ed us up.
      Sale of Masch, Xab, Arbeloa - fu**ed us up.
      Keeping Lawro, Hansen, Kenny, Souness - built our glory era.
      Keeping Masch, Xab, Gerrard, Nando, Reina - built our most recent quality era.
      Not rocket science to work out the common theme.

This thread reminds me of Evertonians (a selling club if ever there was one..) saying "Ahhh now we've got all that cash for Wayne, we'll win the league in 2 years"...
      Anyone who justifies sale of our stars to replace with  4 pieces of tat doesn't know a thing about football.
      Its the stuff of a comedy club... and people with an asset stripping agenda.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,661 posts | 3895 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #76: Dec 05, 2013 11:35:25 am

Somebody actually typed that? Exactly why I didn't bother reading the posts apart from the OP

Yeah.
      I F***ing did.

To counter the point:  "this isn't Liverpool Football Club, its a dead shell"

It will still be Liverpool, even after Luis has gone.
      Just like it was still Liverpool after Mascherano, Alonso, Arbeloa, Owen, Fowler, McManaman etc.

Don't get me wrong, he's the best forward I've ever seen at the club.
      That doesn't change the fact that I think he will leave the club sooner rather than later.

This club won't become a dead shell either though.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,506 posts | 4850 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #77: Dec 05, 2013 11:47:45 am

You F***ing did as well! Just went and looked for it and read it in its context seems as it was you.

Get the point put I'm not sure I trust the powers that be's capabilities of being able to replace a Luis, a Torres or an Owen.

He is our striking version of Stevie when he used to carry us. What worries me about Luis going the most is our ability to replace him.

If he was banned or injured last night and say for instance Aspas was playing where he was I couldn't say I'm certain we would have taken the 3 points last night. Then when you think we won 5-1 it hits home what an influencial player we have got and how important he is.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,661 posts | 3895 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #78: Dec 05, 2013 12:08:17 pm
      You F***ing did as well! Just went and looked for it and read it in its context seems as it was you.

Get the point put I'm not sure I trust the powers that be's capabilities of being able to replace a Luis, a Torres or an Owen.

He is our striking version of Stevie when he used to carry us. What worries me about Luis going the most is our ability to replace him.

If he was banned or injured last night and say for instance Aspas was playing where he was I couldn't say I'm certain we would have taken the 3 points last night. Then when you think we won 5-1 it hits home what an influencial player we have got and how important he is.

I'm just being cynical because, as much as I love the player,
      I can't see us keeping him.

Yes he is by far the best player in our team right now.

I get that.

From the point of view of keeping him, I can't see it being long
      term after the saga of the summer. Yes we kept him, but only
      because nobody came in with a big bid. (F**k of Arsene)

I can see the other side of the argument too.
      Spurs cash injection hasn't seen them light up the league yet.

Far too much smug belittling of other peoples opinions on here
      after the game though.

Yes we all know he is a F***ing world class player.
      Yes we all know he is the best player at the club.

Maybe I'll just leave it at
      Enjoy it while he's here,
      but the club will still be here after he's gone.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #79: Dec 05, 2013 12:16:50 pm
      Simple answer to this question - a team with Suarez in. We would waste that £60m in 2 seconds flat without doubt just like we do in every transfer window.
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #80: Dec 05, 2013 01:00:32 pm
      A team full of Suarez's please :P
      Tadders
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,831 posts | 580 
      Reply #81: Dec 05, 2013 01:02:31 pm
      Not any amount.....
      nnilswerdna
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,879 posts | 104 
      Reply #82: Dec 05, 2013 01:13:25 pm
      If we don't get top 4 I think we can all agree that he will go, we'll get a massive amount of cash for him and I wouldn't begrudge him the move.

If we get top 4 and Suarez leaves, my frustration would be with the club.

I would understand from his point of view...  Sometimes, players (just like everyday employees) want to live somewhere beautiful, and as much as we love Liverpool and the surrounding areas - let's face it, it's hardly Madrid.

Get into the CL, give him the money he deserves and I think we can get a couple more seasons out of Suarez.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,333 posts | 2834 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #83: Dec 05, 2013 01:15:21 pm
      This thread poses a valid question but... the timing! Haha. 4 goals a few hours after being created should raise this £60M value a little bit more - he's worth some ridiculous money.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,661 posts | 3895 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #84: Dec 05, 2013 01:17:22 pm
      This thread poses a valid question but... the timing! Haha. 4 goals a few hours after being created should raise this £60M value a little bit more - he's worth some ridiculous money.

It's easy to forget the summer just gone.
      Like you said, maybe the figure should be higher,
      but let's not be under any illusion.

If we fail to qualify for the Champions League again he'll be off.

This season is quite possibly the best chance we have had to get back there.
      xBooniex
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,278 posts | 28 
      Reply #85: Dec 05, 2013 01:24:03 pm
      If we don't get top 4 I think we can all agree that he will go, we'll get a massive amount of cash for him and I wouldn't begrudge him the move.

I would understand from his point of view...  Sometimes, players (just like everyday employees) want to live somewhere beautiful, and as much as we love Liverpool and the surrounding areas - let's face it, it's hardly Madrid.

Get into the CL, give him the money he deserves and I think we can get a couple more seasons out of Suarez.

I wouldn't be upset with the club if we lose him in the summer. I think everyone at the club did a fantastic job of keeping him here for this season. I've already stated that I believe he'll go in the summer. The bigger question I ask myself is do I trust Brendan to spend it wisely?
      FCGroningen
      • Forum Dean Saunders

• 70 posts |
      Reply #86: Dec 05, 2013 01:38:08 pm
      Only thing that has to be done to keep Luis....
      Qualify for the champions League.
      He is a player who deserves to be in the champions league.
      If Liverpool is there next season, Luis wil wear the nr7 for liverpool with pride
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,692 posts | 7160 
      Reply #87: Dec 05, 2013 01:46:49 pm
      I think Luis doesn't just want to be in the CL he wants to be in a team that can win it.
      nnilswerdna
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,879 posts | 104 
      Reply #88: Dec 05, 2013 01:53:47 pm
      I think Luis doesn't just want to be in the CL he wants to be in a team that can win it.

Arsenal?
      harrydunn08
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,927 posts | 969 
      Reply #89: Dec 05, 2013 02:09:49 pm

And honestly, he deserves to be on a team capable of winning every competition it competes in (including the CL).  If we fail to make the top 4 this season, he will look to leave again in the summer.  We need to invest in January to ensure that we are in the top 4, and then we need to invest again in the summer to ensure that we are capable of pushing for top honors next season so that we can keep our Uruguayan sensation!!
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,041 posts | 3966 
      Reply #90: Dec 05, 2013 02:48:36 pm

If by some extraordinary turn of events we do qualify for the CL how far into that tournament could we progress?
      We do not have a squad capable of acquitting itself adequately in the Prem, to suppose we would fare better with Europe's elite is totally naïve.
       Do you suppose the owners would strengthen the squad if by said turn of events we did qualify for the CL? The response of course is in the negative.
      Do you suppose Luis Suarez would be encouraged to remain if the above did transpire?
       If I didn't know better I would say there are parties that are moulding a 'Suarez for sale' endgame.   
      nnilswerdna
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,879 posts | 104 
      Reply #91: Dec 05, 2013 03:09:12 pm
      If by some extraordinary turn of events we do qualify for the CL how far into that tournament could we progress?
      We do not have a squad capable of acquitting itself adequately in the Prem, to suppose we would fare better with Europe's elite is totally naïve.
       Do you suppose the owners would strengthen the squad if by said turn of events we did qualify for the CL? The response of course is in the negative.
      Do you suppose Luis Suarez would be encouraged to remain if the above did transpire?
       If I didn't know better I would say there are parties that are moulding a 'Suarez for sale' endgame.   

I've said this before mate, this current squad would get humiliated in the CL and to predict any glory in that competition just because we where *once* revered is ignorant.

Times have changed, we are not the greatest team in the UEFA rankings anymore. 

We can't guarantee that we'll get to semi final after semi final because on a Tuesday night we've all had too much to drink and create an atmosphere.

It comes down to the players, and quality players at that.

If, and that's the big word, we get into the CL again we are all agreed that the squad needs to increase 25%

Quick Reply