Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 1st of June and on this date LFC's match record is P6 W4 D2 L0

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Man of the Match vs Bitters

Simon Mignolet
      (0%)
      John Flanagan
      (5.3%)
      Martin Skrtel
      (3.2%)
      Kolo Toure
      (0%)
      Aly Cissokho
      (0.5%)
      Steven Gerrard (c)
      (41.8%)
      Jordan Henderson
      (1.1%)
      Phillipe Coutinho
      (11.1%)
      Raheem Sterling
      (3.2%)
      Daniel Sturridge
      (30.7%)
      Luis Suarez
      (3.2%)
      Victor Moses (sub)
      (0%)
      Martin Kelly (sub)
      (0%)
      Luis Alberto (sub)
      (0%)

Liverpool 4 - 0 Everton: In Game and Post Game Celebration

Read 32309 times
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Re: Liverpool 4 - 0 Everton: In Game and Post Game Celebration
      Reply #736: Jan 29, 2014 08:06:53 am
      I thought last night we played the way we should have against Villa, Coutinho and Sterling dropping back and helping our midfield more, Flanagan and Cissokho (:)) stepping up and supporting our midfield more. Although I think Martinez tried to press us as Villa had they failed, probably due to a little lack of fitness and the way we constantly pressured them.   

Gerrard and Henderson were the rock on which most of Everton's attacks crashed, while Suarez and Sturridge were excellent at alternately dropping off or moving out wide and creating space behind the high and slow Everton back line. (Do they always play with such a high line?)

Very surprised that with four forwards playing that we played so much on the break rather than trying to take the game to them as we did at Goodison, but it worked to perfection.

A more pragmatic approach tactically and formationally from Brendan worked a treat.

In all honesty when I saw the team Brendan had picked I was worried that we would get over-run in midfield, and while we gave up a lot of possession I never after the first 10 minutes or so felt we weren't in control of the game.

I sometimes criticise Brendan tactically, but I thought he got it exactly right yesterday.

I heard that the Kop was singing "You're just a thin spanish waiter" :D 
      Tadders
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,831 posts | 580 
      Reply #737: Jan 29, 2014 08:15:59 am
      Feeling like a million dollars this morning.....what a great result. BR deserves all the plaudits for changing things tactically but playing the same team against Villa....he is a very good manager, we have the best attacking line up we have had for years....1 man team - not any more
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,043 posts | 3967 
      Reply #738: Jan 29, 2014 08:39:13 am
      All the pondscum from bluekipper have swum away . no sign of them not a dickie . Show your fuckwit faces and face the firing squad .

There are some of the blueshite that sink to new depths, they seem to think that public displays of their classless, moronic traits elevates their status.
      The sight of their grotesque, misshapen features hurling hate and abuse as well as missiles at any red shirt was disturbing.
      The authorities will take action and punish the club for their action, a 10 point deduction might prompt some of the less maladjusted in their number to isolate the fuckwits that are a disgrace to their club, city and society in general.
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #739: Jan 29, 2014 08:39:41 am
      Anyone know where you can download the whole game from? Preferably in hd? Think this ones a keeper.

Maybe we could get the mongrels to bring out a DVD of it for us.
      kelvo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,207 posts | 52 
      Reply #740: Jan 29, 2014 08:53:13 am
      Fantastic performance and result to the last man including Brendan who got his tactics spot on. The skipper was my man of the match but thought everyone put in a great shift.

The look on the bitters faces said it all....we just destroyed them! 

We need to keep the momentum against West Brom on the weekend now and take that into Arsenal game. ;D
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,328 posts | 773 
      Reply #741: Jan 29, 2014 09:40:55 am
      Great performance from everyone in the side last night, saw some great goals. Gave my Man of Match to Sturridge who scored two brilliant goals. Lucky  enough to go to the match, on the downside  had misfortune of somehow losing my mates going to our seats in the Anfield Road end, felt a right prat, still the stewards where very helpful, managed to be re-united with my friends, apparently walked up the wrong stairway. Still result more than made up for my mishap with performances like last night's a top four finish well within our grasp.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #742: Jan 29, 2014 09:46:37 am
      Fantastic performance and result to the last man including Brendan who got his tactics spot on.
      Agreed Kelvo - what a team performance - perfect tactics, executed perfectly.

Yeeha!

fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #743: Jan 29, 2014 09:51:54 am
      Very disappointing result for those of us who like a F***ing good moan :D

Really put a dampener on the anger that was building up on the forum!
      ozi_wozzy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,552 posts | 304 
      Reply #744: Jan 29, 2014 09:54:32 am
      STILL F***ing BUZZING....PROUD TO BE AN LFC FAN AND EVEN MORE PROUD AFTER THAT PERFORMANCE!!!
      Tayls

• 5,378 posts | 510 
      Reply #745: Jan 29, 2014 10:04:53 am
      Agreed Kelvo - what a team performance - perfect tactics, executed perfectly.

Yeeha!

And I, (and a few others!) were worried about that selection! My main concern was that the team was unbalanced and, similar to the Aston Villa game, we'd be outpossessed and outplayed. We did let Everton have most of the ball but it was predominantly in their half. We sat back in our own half most of the time, and looked to counter as they came forward. I think at 1-0 they still threatened and had they scored then it could have been a tough night, but instead we stayed fairly solid and allowed them to commit too many forward and ended up taking the game away from them with two Sturridge goals in 3 minutes.

I think you have to commend Rodgers for adapting the system slightly to allow Coutinho to play centrally, and still getting a lot out of Suarez and Sturridge, who swapped between forward and left attacking mid. I think the concerns I shared with others about the system are summed up quite well by Brendan by this post match quote

"As a coach, to get Sturridge and Suarez into the same team, it's a bit of a risk because others have got to fill in. But I'd rather do that to give us that offensive threat.

If we want our best attacking players out there, we need Sterling to play wide, Coutinho through the middle (preferably) and Suarez and Sturridge in the final third. We can't play two strikers together up front unless we move to a variation of a 4-4-2. Rodgers seems to have come upon the solution of playing a 4-2-3-1 with Suarez and Sturridge interchangeable. To do this we need a player like Henderson who is willing to cover players going forward, particularly on the left flank where we have a striker playing as a sort of winger. I don't think Henderson had an amazing game last night but he did put in a lot of work in covering that left hand side.

It's impressive to see how Rodgers' has continually adapted our system game after game. I think he's shown a real ability to learn and adjust tactically.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #746: Jan 29, 2014 10:09:25 am
      I think you have to commend Rodgers for adapting the system slightly to allow Coutinho to play centrally
      That's the system Brendan wants to play all the time arty - he said as much in the summer and the want to move Coutinho, into a more central role, is part of the reason we have been pursuing a left-sided attacker in the last two windows.

stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,043 posts | 3967 
      Reply #747: Jan 29, 2014 10:11:31 am
      Very disappointing result for those of us who like a F***ing good moan :D

That was a pearler of a goal from Luis, definitely a case of quality not quantity on the night.

Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #748: Jan 29, 2014 10:12:32 am
      That's the system Brendan wants to play all the time arty - he said as much in the summer and the want to move Coutinho, into a more central role, is part of the reason we have been pursuing a left-sided attacker in the last two windows.

That doesn't  bode well for Moses and, too a lesser extent, DanMann.

Tayls

• 5,378 posts | 510 
      Reply #749: Jan 29, 2014 10:18:44 am

You're right of course bbb, but if Coutinho plays centrally then you have to change Suarez or Sturridge's role, or drop Sterling. And then I think that has a bit of a knock on effect on the rest of the team, as you're playing a very attacking player in a position that also needs defensive work, so as Rodgers says himself, other players need to cover.

Anyway I'll stop rambling, just thought there are some interesting details to discuss about how we were set up last night and what it means to play Sturridge/Suarez in one of the attacking midfield 3.

fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #750: Jan 29, 2014 10:21:34 am
      You're right of course bbb, but if Coutinho plays centrally then you have to change Suarez or Sturridge's role, or drop Sterling. And then I think that has a bit of a knock on effect on the rest of the team, as you're playing a very attacking player in a position that also needs defensive work, so as Rodgers says himself, other players need to cover.

Anyway I'll stop rambling, just thought there are some interesting details to discuss about how we were set up last night and what it means to play Sturridge/Suarez in one of the attacking midfield 3.

The beauty of Konoplyanka is he does put a good shift in up and down, more so than most in his position anyway.

Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #751: Jan 29, 2014 10:22:11 am
      Anyway I'll stop rambling, just thought there are some interesting details to discuss about how we were set up last night.

Certainly is, Gerrard seemed to be playing as a sweeper at times, rather than DM.

Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #752: Jan 29, 2014 10:24:34 am
      Feeling like a million dollars this morning.....what a great result. BR deserves all the plaudits for changing things tactically but playing the same team against Villa....he is a very good manager, we have the best attacking line up we have had for years....1 man team - not any more

One thing Brendan has shown is that he's quick to address systems and adapt accordingly. He's not shy in admitting he gets it wrong from time to time and the bounceabackability this team shows under him his excellent.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #753: Jan 29, 2014 10:28:45 am
      Just remembered that when Cou made that pass to Studge for his 1st goal instead of saying great pass I automatically said great goal.  He hadn't even taken his shot  ;D

Woke up this morning still smiling.  I was worried about the game before kick off but they just weren't at the races.  We nullified every threat they posed, stamped our authority on the game from the off and once Stevie scored we relaxed into our natural flow of classy, entertaining and dominating football.

Massive credit to all concerned and shows that even though we can't keep our heads during transfer windows, the boss and the players can  ;D
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #754: Jan 29, 2014 10:31:43 am
      That doesn't  bode well for Moses and, too a lesser extent, DanMann.
      ;D

Moses was only a stop-gap (maybe an eventual back-up at best) but Brendan sees that 'position' as being integral to how his team plays. That's why he appeared to be miffed when we missed out in the Summer and with Salah.

Brendan Rodgers seeks new Liverpool winger to let Coutinho go inside

• Anfield Manager wants to play Brazilian in No10 role
      • Rodgers frustrated that owners pulled out of Willian deal

"His ideal position is in the No10 role," said Rodgers, who is also in the market for an experienced central defender. "I've seen him play when Inter had two advanced players and one holding, and he was one of the advanced players. Whether it's a two or a one, he can play in that role, or from the side. But centrally, that's where I see him playing. That's why I'm looking to sign someone for the left wing."

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2013/aug/23/brendan-rodgers-liverpool-philippe-coutinho

stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,043 posts | 3967 
      Reply #755: Jan 29, 2014 10:35:48 am
      Me bro-in-law was on the gate last night and before the game they all get together for a brief by the head steward.
      The throwing of coins etc was highlighted because the blueshite are infamous for it, they do it on their own ground which is all you need to know.
      They also throw half cups of coffee on supporters below and turn around immediately pointing at the LFC supporters above.
      He did say tho' things quietened down after half time when a good number of the bitters left the ground.
      lefty1896
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,700 posts | 23 
      • He scores a goal and the kop goes wild...
      Reply #756: Jan 29, 2014 11:10:44 am
      We were obviously brilliant last night but Lukaku going off changed the game quite a bit I think. I don't think the result would have changed but the game may have been a little different.
      manwithnoname
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 991 posts | 31 
      Reply #757: Jan 29, 2014 11:11:03 am
      Well, that was hugely enjoyable and a fantastic result. As I mused in a thread yesterday, it wasn't beyond the realms of possibility that his Villa selection could work, with some tweaks regarding positional discipline, but I wonder how much of that selection was based around availability of injured players.

In any case, it worked brilliantly.

Ratings:

Mignolet (7). Another who required a big display, and he was up to the task. Some good saves and solid on setpieces.

Flanno (8.). Blood and thunder tackling and simply never gave up. Pienarr got nothing out of him, although he did struggle to contain the excellent Mirallas, but he wasn't alone there.

Skrtel (8.). Performing heroics in central defence lately. Powerful in the air and gave Everton little quarter.

Toure (7). Some Keystone Cops clearances, and is still cumbersome at times especially when faced with tricky, pacy players, but deserved to be part of a cleansheet defence.

Cissokho (6). Went from the sublime to the ridiculous, often within the space of 10 seconds, but worked hard and made some good interceptions. Still nowhere near good enough though. Djimi Traore with muscles.

Gerrard (8.). Disciplined, powerful, some great passing and tackling, plus a marvellous goal. A true Captain's display from the greatest Captain we have ever had.

Henderson (7). Not as eye-catching as others, but that's not really his game. Worked tirelessly and supported Gerrard in the defensive duties much better than the Villa game.

Coutinho (8.). His passing was crisp and penetrating and Everton couldn't contain his movement. Very good display and lovely delivery for the first Sturridge goal.

Sterling (8.). Like everyone else, an almost demonic workrate. His pace lacerated Everton's backline time and again, and his defensive work was laudable. Having a wonderful period of form, and hopefully he can get even better. Unlucky not to score, and won the penalty.

Suarez (9). Never stopped moving, running and creating. Popped up all across the forward line, tackled back, harried and then unleashed his deadly destructive talents almost at will. He was like quicksilver in football boots and Everton simply had no answer to him. Great goal too. Some player.

Sturridge (9). Hopeless penalty and some signs of the greed and petulance that blighted his time at previous clubs. But quite simply unstoppable. He has an array of tricks, a huge variety of finishes, is incredibly quick and powerful. Having to face Suarez and Sturridge must be a living nightmare for defenders and we haven't had two players this dangerous and potent in tandem for Liverpool since Rush and Dalglish.
      MarkMitt
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,800 posts | 337 
      • Give it your best every time!
      Reply #758: Jan 29, 2014 11:22:22 am
      Had to wait until I got in from work last night to watch the game whilst letting my colleagues know i didn't want to know the scores. Wow! Was it worth it? OH YES! THE best team performance this season I believe. And SG was unbelievable last night.  So up for it. Ok maybe he owed us a performance as he's been a bit cack in some games. But that was easily the best I've seen the captain in some time. His best game in seasons...

Quick Reply