Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 29th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P5 W1 D3 L1

Skrtel to join the 200 Premier League Club

Read 7845 times
      Son Of A Gun
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,199 posts | 1275 
      Re: Skrtel to join the 200 Premier League Club
      Reply #23: Dec 04, 2014 08:26:04 pm
      No fella, I'm basing my post on nearly 50 years of watching Liverpool.

The fact you have been a fan of 50 years means nothing in analysing todays players.

Don't understand this grand-standing that makes people's views apparently more legitimate because they are older.

Whatever your opinion, you can't argue with the fact that - after 7 years as a Liverpool player - he should be taking authority and leading the line. The fact he doesn't shows the lack of responsibility of the man.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #24: Dec 04, 2014 08:35:12 pm
      The fact you have been a fan of 50 years means nothing in analysing todays players.

Don't understand this grand-standing that makes people's views apparently more legitimate because they are older.

Whatever your opinion, you can't argue with the fact that - after 7 years as a Liverpool player - he should be taking authority and leading the line. The fact he doesn't shows the lack of responsibility of the man.

Actually, it does mean something.
      It means I've seen the best and the worst players that have played for us during that time, and I can categorically state that Skrtel is far from the worst CB to play for Liverpool.
      So he's not a natural leader, big deal.
      At his best he is a fine defender, and just because his form has dipped a bit, probably the result of playing with so many different partners, it doesn't make him a bad player.
      So climb down off your high horse fella, because other opinions are equally as valid as yours.
      Son Of A Gun

• 5,199 posts | 1275 
      Reply #25: Dec 04, 2014 10:57:47 pm
      Actually, it does mean something.
      It means I've seen the best and the worst players that have played for us during that time, and I can categorically state that Skrtel is far from the worst CB to play for Liverpool.
      So he's not a natural leader, big deal.
      At his best he is a fine defender, and just because his form has dipped a bit, probably the result of playing with so many different partners, it doesn't make him a bad player.
      So climb down off your high horse fella, because other opinions are equally as valid as yours.

*sigh*...........................

Jeez, I never said he was the worst player to have ever played for Liverpool (and a bit rich harping on about valid opinions but telling others to shove theirs up their arses  :roll:) - but he is the worst player currently. If it is the result of playing with so many different partners, then how can others come in and play better than him - Sakho and Toure for starters, and even Lovren - Crystal Palace match aside - isn't as bad as Skrtel.

And his lack of leadership is a massive deal in fact - I cannot understand how everyone weeps at how we lost our natural leader in defence (Mr Carragher himself) and now - big deal - it doesn't matter. As I said, some of our defenders need to grow a pair of balls, stand up and be counted - Toure has already done this commanding the defence, I don't think it's much of an ask for an experienced player of 7 years to step up to his responsibilities. But time and time again, he will leave his responsibilities for others to clean up.

A pretty lame and pathetic performance from our most experienced defender. Utterly atrocious - if a player after 7 years cannot stand up and take responsibility, then he needs to be sold. This team has problems - Skrtel is by far the biggest.
      « Last Edit: Dec 04, 2014 11:13:45 pm by Son Of A Gun »
      fishpie
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,570 posts | 212 
      Reply #26: Dec 05, 2014 01:13:00 am
      He has come through wars and I still feel really unsure about him but well done Skrtel you nutty child, I will remember you in a kind light even when you go.
      TheRedPanda
      • Forum Graeme Souness

• 362 posts | 82 
      Reply #27: Dec 05, 2014 04:44:01 am
      *sigh*...........................

Jeez, I never said he was the worst player to have ever played for Liverpool (and a bit rich harping on about valid opinions but telling others to shove theirs up their arses  :roll:) - but he is the worst player currently. If it is the result of playing with so many different partners, then how can others come in and play better than him - Sakho and Toure for starters, and even Lovren - Crystal Palace match aside - isn't as bad as Skrtel.

And his lack of leadership is a massive deal in fact - I cannot understand how everyone weeps at how we lost our natural leader in defence (Mr Carragher himself) and now - big deal - it doesn't matter. As I said, some of our defenders need to grow a pair of balls, stand up and be counted - Toure has already done this commanding the defence, I don't think it's much of an ask for an experienced player of 7 years to step up to his responsibilities. But time and time again, he will leave his responsibilities for others to clean up.

A pretty lame and pathetic performance from our most experienced defender. Utterly atrocious - if a player after 7 years cannot stand up and take responsibility, then he needs to be sold. This team has problems - Skrtel is by far the biggest.

Yet while others have gone or dropped, he continues to play. So does that mean our managers have been wrong throughout or he is not that bad as you make him out to be :confused-smiley-013: :confused-smiley-013:
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,228 posts | 4421 
      Reply #28: Dec 05, 2014 07:06:47 am
      Yet while others have gone or dropped, he continues to play. So does that mean our managers have been wrong throughout or he is not that bad as you make him out to be :confused-smiley-013: :confused-smiley-013:

He was a injury away from being sold by Rodgers and then Agger being sold, Sakho injured and Lovren loss of form means he has become a first choice. How long will it last , who knows.

PastorGeek
      • Not Actual Geek
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,625 posts | 760 
      Reply #29: Dec 05, 2014 07:31:15 am
      He's been sh*t for the last 100
      Fowler kop hero
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 583 posts |
      Reply #30: Dec 05, 2014 01:40:33 pm
      Well in Martin lad! Great servant to the club.  The abuse is cat! Why abuse someone that played 200 games for the club. Its the reason i never really use this so many arseholes talking sh*te.
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,031 posts | 1978 
      Reply #31: Dec 05, 2014 01:45:52 pm
      Well in Martin lad! Great servant to the club.  The abuse is cat! Why abuse someone that played 200 games for the club. Its the reason i never really use this so many arseholes talking sh*te.

I'm not abusing him. But I'm confident to state Martin will not go down as a Liverpool great.

I'd even question whether he has been a good player for us.

In my opinion he hasn't. Too inconsistent.

Which is a shame, because on his day he actually is a monster of a defender. But 'on his day' comes once every 7 or 8 games. The rest of the time he is a liability in truthfulness.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #32: Dec 05, 2014 01:59:45 pm
      I'm not abusing him. But I'm confident to state Martin will not go down as a Liverpool great.

Which is a shame, because on his day he actually is a monster of a defender. But 'on his day' comes once every 7 or 8 games. The rest of the time he is a liability in truthfulness.

In your opinion.
      Other peoples opinion differs, mine included, especially about his consistency.
      JustMingle
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 982 posts | 62 
      • 6 Times
      Reply #33: Dec 05, 2014 02:04:06 pm

Thats Harsh... the better the CB partner the better his performance... thats his simple rule of thumb really
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,031 posts | 1978 
      Reply #34: Dec 05, 2014 02:26:23 pm
      In your opinion.
      Other peoples opinion differs, mine included, especially about his consistency.

Fair enough. I'd argue all day long we look more comfortable at the back without Skrtel in it. I always preferred Carragher and Agger to either Carragher/Skrtel (which was a disaster) or Skrtel/Agger - which was ok at times.

Thats Harsh... the better the CB partner the better his performance... thats his simple rule of thumb really

I don't think it is really. We leaked 50+ goals last season - Skrtel scored about 10 of them. He was also first choice CB for us too.

We have been a shambles this season at the back, again Skrtel being first choice CB.

The season he 'won' player of the season for us didn't we finish about 8th? He was a pick from a bad bunch.

I'm not placing the blame on his shoulders entirely - you defend as a team at the end of the day, but it isn't any coincidence that the best we've looked defensively this season was at home to Swansea in the league cup. Skrtel didn't play!

He has never cemented his place as one of the best CB's in the league has he? He is never thrown into that category - by anyone. He is also miles behind CB's who have played for us in the past. When we eventually sign a decent one, the next Sami or whoever, it'll be more clear just how inconsistent Skrtel has been for us.

No question when he is at his best he is a very good defender, im not arguing that. But he has never been great, he never will be great and he definitely has inconsistencies to his game.

Thaddeus
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,063 posts | 171 
      Reply #35: Dec 05, 2014 02:36:39 pm
      Honestly, he was excellent last season. And whilst Toure has had a bit of a renaissance recently, he's also been our best CB this season. Great player and F**k the haters.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #36: Dec 05, 2014 02:48:40 pm
      Fair enough. I'd argue all day long we look more comfortable at the back without Skrtel in it. I always preferred Carragher and Agger to either Carragher/Skrtel (which was a disaster) or Skrtel/Agger - which was ok at times.

Skrtel and Carragher had the same problem as Lovren and Sakho in that both wanted to play in the same zone, because that's what they were used to.
      I'm also a bit wary of anything that Carragher says, especially when it comes to Skrtel, saying "he doesn't listen".
      What this means is that he didn't listen to Carragher, although he must have lsitened to the manager to keep getting picked.

We now have an experienced defender with a wealth of experience playing alongside Skrtel, and we've looked a lot more solid.
      Granted Toure is prone to the odd comedy moment, but that's the nature of the man and it says a lot about him that he has fought his way back into the side. Or maybe that's only until his next comedy moment.

No one here (I think) is saying that Skrtel is a world beater or anything close to it, what they are doing is giving some respect to a fella who is set to join the 200 club.
      If nothing else in some peoples eyes, it's hard to argue against that he's a good pro, a fairly solid defender and gives it 100% on the pitch.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,228 posts | 4421 
      Reply #37: Dec 05, 2014 03:12:38 pm
      Honestly, he was excellent last season. And whilst Toure has had a bit of a renaissance recently, he's also been our best CB this season. Great player and f**k the haters.

Excellent last season?
      You just started watching us this season?

We conceded 50 goals last season, he scored more own goals in the PL and made more errors that led to goals in the PL but yes as you say he was excellent!
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,031 posts | 1978 
      Reply #38: Dec 05, 2014 03:31:01 pm
      Skrtel and Carragher had the same problem as Lovren and Sakho in that both wanted to play in the same zone, because that's what they were used to.
      I'm also a bit wary of anything that Carragher says, especially when it comes to Skrtel, saying "he doesn't listen".
      What this means is that he didn't listen to Carragher, although he must have lsitened to the manager to keep getting picked.

We now have an experienced defender with a wealth of experience playing alongside Skrtel, and we've looked a lot more solid.
      Granted Toure is prone to the odd comedy moment, but that's the nature of the man and it says a lot about him that he has fought his way back into the side. Or maybe that's only until his next comedy moment.

No one here (I think) is saying that Skrtel is a world beater or anything close to it, what they are doing is giving some respect to a fella who is set to join the 200 club.
      If nothing else in some peoples eyes, it's hard to argue against that he's a good pro, a fairly solid defender and gives it 100% on the pitch.

It's my opinion that Lovren has been so awful for us because he is paired next to Skrtel.  Pair Lovren alongside Toure and we would see far better performances from him.

Carra struggled alongside him. Agger did too.

Individually he has never been great either.

By all means he has my respect and I suppose this is what this thread is about - so congratulations to Martin.

Has he been a great player for Liverpool though? No, I don't think so.

Has he been a good player for Liverpool? No, not particularly. He will never be one of those players I'll look back on and think what a top player he was. The way I look back at Sami for example.

As I said previous, other CB's in the league are far better than him too. Skrtel has never been in the same category as players like Vidic, Terry, Kompany etc.
      Billo
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,710 posts | 896 
      Reply #39: Dec 05, 2014 04:31:43 pm
      Wow the hate on Skrtel is getting ridiculous. Ok, we get it, he has been poor lately. Nobody saying otherwise.
      But Skrtel is a decent cb. People just have short memories, remember us bitching about carra's and semi's speed. Carra's own goals? 

The point is that he is probably gonna play his 200th game soon. Make him a great servant of the club we all support.
      Rate him or don't, but don't come here and spread shitt in the thread. You wanna argue his quality or lack of it. There is a Skrtel thread in the players section.

It's like stealing somebodies moment.
      Son Of A Gun

• 5,199 posts | 1275 
      Reply #40: Dec 05, 2014 04:32:13 pm
      Honestly, he was excellent last season. And whilst Toure has had a bit of a renaissance recently, he's also been our best CB this season. Great player and f**k the haters.

Honestly, he really wasn't.

Don't let those goals he scored masquerade the fact he was one of the main reasons our defence was terrible - and still is terrible.

As others said, the circumstances (retirement) and bad luck (injury) of other players has led to Skrtel being the luckiest man in this team, in addition to having played with great defenders, allowing him to shirk responsibility. If we aspire to be a top club, then how do we do it with mediocre players like Skrtel getting 200 league appearances? We talk about the club mentality and wanting our players to be mentally tough hard men like the old days to help us over the line - I think Skrtel is the biggest wet blanket in the squad. His mentality is weak and his leadership is awful especially in a time when every player needs to stand up and take responsibility - it's embarrassing at the moment to see this type of performances week in week out - it's not even necessarily a case of coaching, he commits school boy error after school boy error out

At best he's a mid table player, but in all honesty, we should be doing so much better than him.

200 or not, this stat doesn't tell us anything of interest - as ex-Aberdeen manager Ebbe Skovdahl said - 'stats are like miniskirts, they can give you good ideas but hide the most important parts'.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #41: Dec 05, 2014 04:49:14 pm
      Reading some of the posts here you'd think that he is the cause of all our defensive woes, but he's not.
      Given that he has had no cover in front of him, and has to cover for Johnson, as well as play against his natural inclination in a high line, it's little wonder we concede goals.
      Add to that a goalie nicknamed Dracula, and players not doing their jobs at set pieces (Lovren, Moreno, Johnson at times).

But yeah, it's all skrtels fault.

Stop F***ing griping and give the fella his due, or post about his alleged deficiencies in his player thread.
      I'm going to tip a glass in his honour.
      Well in fella.
      Thaddeus
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,063 posts | 171 
      Reply #42: Dec 05, 2014 04:56:02 pm
      Honestly, he really wasn't.

Don't let those goals he scored masquerade the fact he was one of the main reasons our defence was terrible - and still is terrible.

As others said, the circumstances (retirement) and bad luck (injury) of other players has led to Skrtel being the luckiest man in this team, in addition to having played with great defenders, allowing him to shirk responsibility. If we aspire to be a top club, then how do we do it with mediocre players like Skrtel getting 200 league appearances? We talk about the club mentality and wanting our players to be mentally tough hard men like the old days to help us over the line - I think Skrtel is the biggest wet blanket in the squad. His mentality is weak and his leadership is awful especially in a time when every player needs to stand up and take responsibility - it's embarrassing at the moment to see this type of performances week in week out - it's not even necessarily a case of coaching, he commits school boy error after school boy error out

At best he's a mid table player, but in all honesty, we should be doing so much better than him.

200 or not, this stat doesn't tell us anything of interest - as ex-Aberdeen manager Ebbe Skovdahl said - 'stats are like miniskirts, they can give you good ideas but hide the most important parts'.

Skrtel passes all the stats tests to see if he is good player. F**k he passes them so well he is competing with the very top tier (statistically he was the best CB in the league last year). That means the remaining discussion on whether he is a good player is pretty much all down to eye tests. For me, he plays great.

The only thinking I can see someone justifying saying he is a bad player is someone looking at our defensive record and thus saying our defence is bad, then saying well Skrtel plays a lot, he must be the reason the defence is bad. Woolly thinking.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,228 posts | 4421 
      Reply #43: Dec 05, 2014 06:26:41 pm
      Skrtel passes all the stats tests to see if he is good player. F**k he passes them so well he is competing with the very top tier (statistically he was the best CB in the league last year). That means the remaining discussion on whether he is a good player is pretty much all down to eye tests. For me, he plays great.

Top tier.........most errors leading to a goal conceded yup you have him to a tee   :lmao:

Thaddeus
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,063 posts | 171 
      Reply #44: Dec 05, 2014 07:06:58 pm
      Top tier.........most errors leading to a goal conceded yup you have him to a tee   :lmao:

;D, defensive errors for last season was 4. One more than Kompany and 2 more than Terry.

Compare:

The man was a monster last season. I can find more if you are still deluded enough to believe he wasn't one of the best from a stats point of view last season.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #45: Dec 05, 2014 07:10:44 pm
      ;D, defensive errors for last season was 4. One more than Kompany and 2 more than Terry.

Compare:

The man was a monster last season. I can find more if you are still deluded enough to believe he wasn't one of the best from a stats point of view last season.

where did you get the stats mate?

A link if possible

Quick Reply