Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P27 W14 D8 L5

Jürgen Klopp - Liverpool FC Manager

Read 1529566 times
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Re: Jürgen Klopp - Liverpool FC Manager
      Reply #8142: May 25, 2016 02:17:34 pm
      I guess that shows they don't equate too well then, nearly double! :D

I'm happy with the business we've done so far this year, I wasn't last season, I wasn't any season with Brendan in charge, not in the slightest. We were targeting players that didn't seem to have a plan built around them. Moving forward I believe there's a plan for each and everyone of these players coming in.

I believe they're players that the manager wants and as he said are ones that he has indeed had a final say about. All the indicators are there to suggest as much.

Karius
      Dahoud
      Gotze
      Matip

All players in the German league, Grujic apparently scouted by our new assistants. That's what we all wanted I thought, the manager to get the players that he wants. It appears that we're going out and trying to make that happen, sure it's failed in the case of Gotze but apparently not for the want of trying (this time it seems an awful lot more believable than the Ayre trips to the Ukraine).

Again while you may see similarities I see massive differences in what we're doing now, to what we've done in the past.

So you were unhappy when we signed Firmino Clyne, Ings, Milner then mate ?

Similar argument to what most people were saying last season mate. Everyone was saying how wonderful our signings were compared to the previous season... happens every season. From Joe Allen and Borini right through to Benteke they were all great and going to improve us...until they actually kicked a ball.

Hopefully things will ACTUALLY change under Klopp.   

FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,331 posts | 6385 
      Reply #8143: May 25, 2016 02:27:16 pm
      Who said anything about clandestine? It's obvious it's all there in black and white, nothing clandestine about it, if you think that in any way reflects what Brendan was doing then you've clearly not understood the one for me, one for you nature of our previous transfer business.

You've clearly not understood how when we had a defence that conceded an unbelievable amount of goals we'd go out and spunk the majority of our transfer budget on attacking midfielders and attackers. While we had Mignolet in goal we'd target a back up that couldn't be back up to a traffic cone.... again if you want to see the similarities go right ahead, for me the differences are extremely clear.

"Just like Brendan did" gave me a laugh this, cheers.
      Thanks for setting me straight, I must have forgot who I was responding to.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,256 posts | 4933 
      Reply #8144: May 25, 2016 02:27:50 pm
      Honestly done see a big difference in those you listed. Other than Karius....

Just replace the other three with Lallana, Lovren and Sanchez (he was a target remember).

There's obviously debates as to the quality of them vs who Jürgen is targeting but it's not like Jürgen is working out some clandestine plan. He's buying or targeting players that he thinks he needs, just like Brendan did.

Agree FL.

KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #8145: May 25, 2016 02:35:48 pm
      So you were unhappy when we signed Firmino Clyne, Ings, Milner then mate ?

Similar argument to what most people were saying last season mate. Everyone was saying how wonderful our signings were compared to the previous season... happens every season. From Joe Allen and Borini right through to Benteke they were all great and going to improve us...until they actually kicked a ball.

Hopefully things will ACTUALLY change under Klopp.   

Things have changed Saint.

I wasn't happy with how we conducted ourselves in relation to transfers the entire time Brendan was manager. It was a clusterfuck and I've stated that on many occasions. I hold Brendan and the committee jointly responsible for that and just because we got the occasional transfer right wont change my impression of the thing as a whole. Buying players and not playing them, buying players without a plan and generally adopting a scatter gun approach made it the sh*t show we had to endure for the past few years.

If you want to continue to believe that we're on the same path go right ahead,

I'd suggest have some faith in Jürgen and see from the targets we've already clearly established and the regions in which these targets are coming from that there is a clear driving force behind these targets and that isn't the committee, nor is it being a one for you and one for us type scenario.

For me it's what I've wanted all along, the manager to have total control of his target selection. Personally I'm happy and I wont allow anyone to bring my spirits down.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #8146: May 25, 2016 02:36:21 pm
      Thanks for setting me straight, I must have forgot who I was responding to.

You're welcome.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #8147: May 25, 2016 02:50:10 pm
      If you want to continue to believe that we're on the same path go right ahead,

I don't mate, but I am not going to do a Julie Andrews and burst into song until we bring in a couple of players that excite me and we haven't done that yet.

We have brought in a goalkeeper ... a blind man would have know we needed better than Migs.

We have brought in a young midfielder ... Markovic mark 2? Hopefully not but hopefully you understand where I am going with this.

We have brought in a CB... we have already spent a fortune on Lovren and Sakho and they both struggled to establish themselves, will Matip adapt any quicker?

I agree that transfers under Brendan didn't appear to be targeted and seemed at times more a case of who we could attract than who we needed... hopefully Jürgen will address that problem and bring in the quality we need.

Personally I'm a miserable c**t and I wont allow anyone to raise my spirits. :)

FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,331 posts | 6385 
      Reply #8148: May 25, 2016 02:53:29 pm
      So we don't have a transfer committee anymore? I'm so confused.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #8149: May 25, 2016 02:54:04 pm
      We have brought in a goalkeeper ... a blind man would have know we needed better than Migs.

Yet quite a few around here mocked those that suggested Migs 5 year contract was a statement of having Migs as our number one for the next 5 years. Quite a change of heart it seems towards that approach by some.

We have brought in a young midfielder ... Markovic mark 2? Hopefully not but hopefully you understand where I am going with this.

Yes I do, you want to see, taste and finish the cake before you'll throw any positivity behind the targets and seem to be more prepared to align what we've done with our failures rather than our successes due to their cost. It's fine, you can choose to do that, I will choose to see them for what I believed when Jürgen signed, he's always done his business this way.

We have brought in a CB... we have already spent a fortune on Lovren and Sakho and they both struggled to establish themselves, will Matip adapt any quicker?

They were Brendan's and the committee's targets, both a choice each to replace a better player altogether. I don't see Jürgen throwing Can aside and trying to replace him with one of his own and one of the committee's choices both costing a combined £40m+

I agree that transfers under Brendan didn't appear to be targeted and seemed at times more a case of who we could attract than who we needed... hopefully Jürgen will address that problem and bring in the quality we need.

He already is as I see it.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #8150: May 25, 2016 03:04:05 pm
      Yet quite a few around here mocked those that suggested Migs 5 year contract was a statement of having Migs as our number one for the next 5 years. Quite a change of heart it seems towards that approach by some.

Yes I do, you want to see, taste and finish the cake before you'll throw any positivity behind the targets and seem to be more prepared to align what we've done with our failures rather than our successes due to their cost. It's fine, you can choose to do that, I will choose to see them for what I believed when Jürgen signed, he's always done his business this way.

They were Brendan's and the committee's targets, both a choice each to replace a better player altogether. I don't see Jürgen throwing Can aside and trying to replace him with one of his own and one of the committee's choices both costing a combined £40m+

He already is as I see it.

It's great that you are positive mate, I will wait until I have seen them play before I get all excited.   

reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #8151: May 25, 2016 03:11:44 pm
      I don't mate, but I am not going to do a Julie Andrews and burst into song until we bring in a couple of players that excite me and we haven't done that yet.

Personally I'm a miserable c**t and I wont allow anyone to raise my spirits. :)

I don't get you mate (I mean I get you're a miserable c**t and none of the signings have excited you) but aren't you contradicting yourself?

You're hoping that Jürgen will address the problem of not targetting players we need after saying that the ones we've got a blind man could see we needed. 

So has he addressed the problem but not with players you wanted or would you prefer he hadn't addressed the problem and left us as is?

FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,331 posts | 6385 
      Reply #8152: May 25, 2016 03:16:23 pm
      It's great that you are positive mate, I will wait until I have seen them play before I get all excited.   

You mean we actually have to play the games?
      Hollywood Balls
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,802 posts | 469 
      • PhD, School of Hard Knocks, University of Life.
      Reply #8153: May 25, 2016 03:20:29 pm
      I disagree HB,

I'm with Luke on this. One of Klopp's game plan is to press the ball, close down spaces and putting a tackle in, which are some of Gerrard's strength back in his prime.

Here are a few examples

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rrvGNsJ2xS0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qTtSiztFY9o

Klopp would love a player like him in his team, I think any manager would because of his qualities, but he would fit perfectly in Klopp's formation because he was a beast, physically and technically.

No - he had never been good at closing down spaces and technically has always been a mediocre tackler - that's my point, in Klopp's system those are big deficiencies in the centre.

Looking at Dahoud (im having a look at some of his footage now) seems to make a lot more sense
      « Last Edit: May 25, 2016 03:40:41 pm by Hollywood Balls »
      AZPatriot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #8154: May 25, 2016 03:29:43 pm
      "I want such and such and he'll cost 40 million quid plus 220K per week", the owners back him. I'm just not sure they will.

The issue is, knowing how Jürgen operates how would you know one way or another if he were backed...I would think his transfer dealing so far have JWH doing somersaults around Boston.

January:Caulker (Loan)

Summer: Matip (Free) Grujic 5m, Karius 5m.

s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #8155: May 25, 2016 03:30:00 pm
      I don't get you mate (I mean I get you're a miserable c**t and none of the signings have excited you) but aren't you contradicting yourself?

You're hoping that Jürgen will address the problem of not targetting players we need after saying that the ones we've got a blind man could see we needed. 

So has he addressed the problem but not with players you wanted or would you prefer he hadn't addressed the problem and left us as is?

I'm not quite sure what you mean Debs.

We needed a goalkeeper Brendan brought in Bogdan, Jürgen has brought in Loris

We needed a defender Brendan brought in Gomez , Jürgen has brought in Matip

We needed a midfield player Brendan brought in Milner, Jürgen brought in Grujic.

The problem under Brendan was not that he didn't target the problem areas, but that he didn't target his signings i.e. that they seemed more opportunistic rather than specific. That we struggled to bring in top quality players and had to settle for who was willing to come rather than who we really wanted... bit similar to the problem we now have with Gotze.     

reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #8156: May 25, 2016 03:33:58 pm
      None of us are going to know how or if we've improved with this summers signings until the end of next season.  There's no guarantee that any signing is going to be a success, no matter who signs them, where they come from, how old they are or how much they cost.

The hang ups we've had with our recruitment over the last 5/6/7 years aren't going to disappear overnight and for some those hang ups weigh heavily on the assumption that nothing much has changed, whereas some of us can see a more targetted approach already, even if we don't know whether the players are up to the job they've been bought for.

Like with the perceived improvements some of us could see back in January others need more tangible evidence, like a trophy or a better league position before declaring we're on the up.

Maybe we are getting over excited and being far too positive for some who don't want to get their hopes up yet but the window hasn't even opened yet so it's not like there won't be more incomings before the season starts.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #8157: May 25, 2016 03:38:18 pm
      You mean we actually have to play the games?

Sadly yes mate

But don't let that put you off, the positive people don't need to actually see a player playing before deciding they are great.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,331 posts | 6385 
      Reply #8158: May 25, 2016 03:38:20 pm
      I'm overjoyed that we have Klopp as our manager. Have said as such many times.

But all of these debates come down to this....when Brendan farts everyone holds their nose and looks disgusted, when Klopp farts some of those people take deep breaths and try to convince everyone else it smells like perfume.

I'm excited that we are bringing in players and that they seem to be Jürgen's first choice, but really, no one can tell now whether they will be any better than the players Brendan (or the committee, never know who to blame) brought in.

We have to wait and see how they pan out. So I will be anxious to see Grulic and Karius and Matip play because I'm betting that they will be nice additions, but that's really only hope at this point. The proof will be what they ACTUALLY do on the pitch.

Why someone would want to try and oversell someone they've never actually followed or seen play is beyond me.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,331 posts | 6385 
      Reply #8159: May 25, 2016 03:39:19 pm
      None of us are going to know how or if we've improved with this summers signings until the end of next season.  There's no guarantee that any signing is going to be a success, no matter who signs them, where they come from, how old they are or how much they cost.

The hang ups we've had with our recruitment over the last 5/6/7 years aren't going to disappear overnight and for some those hang ups weigh heavily on the assumption that nothing much has changed, whereas some of us can see a more targetted approach already, even if we don't know whether the players are up to the job they've been bought for.

Like with the perceived improvements some of us could see back in January others need more tangible evidence, like a trophy or a better league position before declaring we're on the up.

Maybe we are getting over excited and being far too positive for some who don't want to get their hopes up yet but the window hasn't even opened yet so it's not like there won't be more incomings before the season starts.

I do really like the fact that we are getting business done early. Something like don't think we did well enough under the Brodge.
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,548 posts | 1667 
      • YNWA
      Reply #8160: May 25, 2016 03:48:32 pm
      I'm overjoyed that we have Klopp as our manager. Have said as such many times.

But all of these debates come down to this....when Brendan farts everyone holds their nose and looks disgusted, when Klopp farts some of those people take deep breaths and try to convince everyone else it smells like perfume.

I'm excited that we are bringing in players and that they seem to be Jürgen's first choice, but really, no one can tell now whether they will be any better than the players Brendan (or the committee, never know who to blame) brought in.

We have to wait and see how they pan out. So I will be anxious to see Grulic and Karius and Matip play because I'm betting that they will be nice additions, but that's really only hope at this point. The proof will be what they ACTUALLY do on the pitch.

Why someone would want to try and oversell someone they've never actually followed or seen play is beyond me.

Good summary mate. We're all hoping these guys work out, but we've seen over many years of new guys coming in under various managers, that its difficult to predict who the next big hopes / dopes are gonna be.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #8161: May 25, 2016 03:54:23 pm
      I'm not quite sure what you mean Debs.

We needed a goalkeeper Brendan brought in Bogdan, Jürgen has brought in Loris

We needed a defender Brendan brought in Gomez , Jürgen has brought in Matip

We needed a midfield player Brendan brought in Milner, Jürgen brought in Grujic.

The problem under Brendan was not that he didn't target the problem areas, but that he didn't target his signings i.e. that they seemed more opportunistic rather than specific. That we struggled to bring in top quality players and had to settle for who was willing to come rather than who we really wanted... bit similar to the problem we now have with Gotze.     

Ok I get you now. 

We needed a starting level keeper that was better than Migs but got a number 2 instead.

Did we need another CB when we already had Skrtel, Sakho, Lovren, Toure? 

If we did then why buy another youngster when we already had Ilori?  Now we do need another one as Skrtel hasn't done well under Jürgen, Toure is at the end of his contract and Sakho is suspended.  Gomez is still a youngster who's missed nearly a full season and Ilori is out of contract so an experienced player is required and we've got one in Matip.

We needed a central midfielder to replace Stevie and Milner hasn't been one of those since his youth days.  Grujic may be young but at least he's a central midfielder.

As you say all opportunistic rather than what we needed, now we've got what we needed.

As for Gotze, sure we wouldn't have targetted him if he hadn't made himself available but unlike Sanchez, we won't spend all summer making doe eyes at him and missing out on other targets.  We've already moved onto our next positional needs which are a LB and a more experienced central midfielder.

It's chalk and cheese mate.

RobieSlick
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,758 posts | 259 
      Reply #8162: May 25, 2016 04:09:29 pm
      Perhaps, we will even give them couple of games before deciding they are cr@p eh!

Come on guys. Summer is almost here - sunshining outside - Klopp our manager. Just give him a chance to get thru 3/4 transfer windows before asking for a title. He will get us there - I am sure - even with these free/4/5 millon players. Rome wasn't built in a day.

How do expect LFC to sign big name players without CL? Klopp's name can only go so far. Gotze almost. We qualify next season and he will get £30 million players. Perhaps, he will make Karius, Matip, Gruic £20 million plus players - who knows. Give the man a chance to bring his type of players (be that £5 or £5 million or £25 million).

I can't remember this negative discussion even with Rodgers here. He bought £32.5 million player - remember.

See how we do next season. Remembe it is not 1st of July yet and we have started complaining. He is trying make us into believers from doubters but we (some) refuse to follow him.

Please give hime next season and support without doubt.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #8163: May 25, 2016 04:09:47 pm
      Ok I get you now. 

We needed a starting level keeper that was better than Migs but got a number 2 instead.

Did we need another CB when we already had Skrtel, Sakho, Lovren, Toure? 

If we did then why buy another youngster when we already had Ilori?  Now we do need another one as Skrtel hasn't done well under Jürgen, Toure is at the end of his contract and Sakho is suspended.  Gomez is still a youngster who's missed nearly a full season and Ilori is out of contract so an experienced player is required and we've got one in Matip.

We needed a central midfielder to replace Stevie and Milner hasn't been one of those since his youth days.  Grujic may be young but at least he's a central midfielder.

As you say all opportunistic rather than what we needed, now we've got what we needed.

As for Gotze, sure we wouldn't have targetted him if he hadn't made himself available but unlike Sanchez, we won't spend all summer making doe eyes at him and missing out on other targets.  We've already moved onto our next positional needs which are a LB and a more experienced central midfielder.

It's chalk and cheese mate.

Absolutely spot on.

Sadly yes mate

But don't let that put you off, the positive people don't need to actually see a player playing before deciding they are great.

Nothing to do with deciding they're great nor have I seen anyone suggest they are great, but I do hope they will turn out that way and have more reasons to be encouraged as I've tried to explain to you S@int.

We're targeting players the manager and his team have the most influence in, something many suggested wouldn't change with Klopp's arrival and has now clearly changed.

We're targeting our weakest positions, something you seem to suggest is the same by providing a youth player and a 2nd string player as comparison, frankly that doesn't cut the mustard mate.

We're getting our business done early, something most people always shout they want to happen but hey why look at that as a positive...

We're getting first team players for fantastic fees, players that Jürgen clearly rates as good enough to start next year for us as has been reported by all the 'reliable' journos.

There's plenty there to glean positivity from, there's plenty there to suggest times are changing and rather than me suggesting the players incoming are great I'm just stating that it's great that things have changed to how I thought many others wanted but most certainly I wanted.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,455 posts | 4584 
      Reply #8164: May 25, 2016 04:12:31 pm
      The issue is, knowing how Jürgen operates how would you know one way or another if he were backed...I would think his transfer dealing so far have JWH doing somersaults around Boston.

January:Caulker (Loan)

Summer: Matip (Free) Grujic 5m, Karius 5m.

That's Rafaesuqe type spending ;D

Quick Reply