Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 1st of June and on this date LFC's match record is P6 W4 D2 L0

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match?

Simon Mignolet
      0 (0%)
      Alberto Moreno
      2 (1.1%)
      Dejan Lovren
      0 (0%)
      Ragnar Klavan
      4 (2.2%)
      Nathaniel Clyne
      0 (0%)
      Jordan Henderson
      2 (1.1%)
      Georginio Wijnaldum
      1 (0.5%)
      Sadio Mane
      59 (32.1%)
      Adam Lallana
      0 (0%)
      Roberto Firmino
      1 (0.5%)
      Philippe Coutinho
      115 (62.5%)
      Emre Can
      0 (0%)
      Divock Origi
      0 (0%)
      Kevin Stewart
      0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 179

Voting closed: Aug 19, 2016 05:56:54 pm

Arsenal 3-4 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion

Read 36522 times
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Re: Arsenal 3-4 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion
      Reply #782: Aug 15, 2016 11:30:03 am

Mange tout Rodney, mange tout.  :laugh:
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,031 posts | 1978 
      Reply #783: Aug 15, 2016 11:39:09 am
      Apart from that, I am trying to contain my frustration with fans who dont think Hendo and Lallana are excellent team players - absolute lynchpins in my opinion.

Jesus Christ. Our standards haven't half dropped.

I don't mean to be negative after yesterday's win but when you see comments like this you just want to rip your hair out.
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #784: Aug 15, 2016 12:27:45 pm
      Ebieahi
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 382 posts | 45 
      Reply #785: Aug 15, 2016 12:33:25 pm
      Very happy with that result.
      Performance was disjointed and poor in the first half. 2 great goals from Coutinho really helped spark the team into life.
      Defensively we need to do alot better, but i trust that with the additions of Mane and Gigi, we will offer alot more in attack.

I would be interested to see what JK prefers as his best midfield combinations. I think that Gigi could offer more if played behind the front three or even interchanged with them, instead of as a deep CM. The formation yesterday actually felt more like a home team setup with so many attack minded midfielders, something i will keep an eye on for sure.

Special mention to Klavan and Mane, who i thought were superb.
      DaktionLFC
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,084 posts | 84 
      Reply #786: Aug 15, 2016 12:54:39 pm
      definitely not going to be unhappy with 3 pts away to arsenal on openning day.  many if not all of you had said the same thing already.   we scored 4 but our defense still needs alot of work

as for moreno. personally i think he is rash. he has speed and knows it so he relies on it heavily to get himself out of jams. but as you can see from their first goal and many other situations, walcott was literally alone with his arms on the edge of the box calling for a pass.  if he had a bit more distribtuion, it might have gone poor for us

anyways, a good day for reds fans.  buzzing we won and a difficult match under our belt!

YNWA!
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,608 posts | 1814 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #787: Aug 15, 2016 12:54:53 pm
      FANTASTIC !

slow start, but once we clicked we bloody clicked !!! :-)
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,228 posts | 4421 
      Reply #788: Aug 15, 2016 01:08:32 pm
      Would have been interesting to see if Milner was fit, would he have started over Moreno?

If the answer is yes it would suggest that the LB Klopp wants is not available but I also have a sneaking feeling Klopp is too similar to Wenger and just won't pay over the odds which is a slight worry.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #789: Aug 15, 2016 01:30:09 pm
      Would have been interesting to see if Milner was fit, would he have started over Moreno?

If the answer is yes it would suggest that the LB Klopp wants is not available but I also have a sneaking feeling Klopp is too similar to Wenger and just won't pay over the odds which is a slight worry.

I dunno, mate. Don't see Wenger spending what Jürgen did on players like Wijnaldum and Mané.

I think it was James Pearce who said Jürgen wants to find a young LB who he can develop himself. Probably can't find someone he thinks is potentially good enough, after Chilwell.

Just to add, could Martin Tyler be more anti-Liverpool? Listened to the SkySports coverage of the match again and F**k me he was shattered every time we scored and was disappointed when Arsenal fell short. Muppet.
      SM
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,583 posts | 400 
      Reply #790: Aug 15, 2016 01:54:46 pm
      Sorry to piss on a good win but our game plan concerns me.

I'm worried that at 4-1 up we didn't manage the game correctly. Where was the knowhow from the players or management to shut up shop, maybe go 4-5-1 and just stifle the sh*t out of Arsenal and maybe hit on the break but we stayed wide open and let them back in.

If we are serious about doing things this year we must learn. It happened under BR away to Palace when we were 3-0 up we kept charging on rather than keeping the game tight.

Just takes a simple shout from the manager to change the formation and make it more difficult but we don't seem willing to do it.

HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,228 posts | 4421 
      Reply #791: Aug 15, 2016 02:01:08 pm

I'm worried that at 4-1 up we didn't manage the game correctly. Where was the knowhow from the players or management to shut up shop, maybe go 4-5-1 and just stifle the sh*t out of Arsenal and maybe hit on the break but we stayed wide open and let them back in.

If we are serious about doing things this year we must learn. It happened under BR away to Palace when we were 3-0 up we kept charging on rather than keeping the game tight.

Just takes a simple shout from the manager to change the formation and make it more difficult but we don't seem willing to do it.

The two goals they scored to make it 4-3 were nothing to do with being too open.

First one Clyne and Lallana don't do their job and Migs screws up at the near post. Conversely you can give the Ox a lot of credit for a great bit of skill.

Second one both of our CB's are no where close enough to Chambers, he has a free header.

Tactics were fine just individual errors probably down to a lack of focus thinking the game was dead and buried.

FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,430 posts | 6422 
      Reply #792: Aug 15, 2016 02:01:21 pm

Didn't Klopp mention his concern with this in the post-game. I  think he took some of the responsibility and I'll  bet we aren't likely to see it happen again. Let's just focus on the fact that we posted 4 on them, not that we shipped 3.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #793: Aug 15, 2016 02:22:20 pm
      I am far more worried about our midfield than I am about Mignolet or Moreno. We hardly won a tackle or an header in midfield (65/35%). And that was against Arsenal hardly the most physical of teams. If we don't improve (or change personnel) we will be in all sorts of trouble against some of the more powerful midfield runners.

First game of the season so not going to get too carried away, but a win at Arsenal is a great start to the season.

Relieved that Coutinho finally showed up after a strangely quiet period carried over from the end of last season. Our game changer really changed the game with a wonderful free kick.

Great result that is hopefully the start to a great season. 
      SM
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,583 posts | 400 
      Reply #794: Aug 15, 2016 02:53:49 pm
      The two goals they scored to make it 4-3 were nothing to do with being too open.

First one Clyne and Lallana don't do their job and Migs screws up at the near post. Conversely you can give the Ox a lot of credit for a great bit of skill.

Second one both of our CB's are no where close enough to Chambers, he has a free header.

Tactics were fine just individual errors probably down to a lack of focus thinking the game was dead and buried.

I thought we were too open before Ox got the ball, suppose it depends how we each view it.

Didn't Klopp mention his concern with this in the post-game. I  think he took some of the responsibility and I'll  bet we aren't likely to see it happen again. Let's just focus on the fact that we posted 4 on them, not that we shipped 3.

Mate I'm very happy with the win don't get me wrong I just want the team and manager to be more switched on in those situations. If Klopp mentioned it then he knows and I'm happy we will see it changed.
      CoutinhoRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,353 posts | 103 
      Reply #795: Aug 15, 2016 02:54:47 pm
      Finally! It was a relief to win at the Emirates in such a thrilling encounter. Arse-pool games are always entertaining, and more so when we're the ones with three points in the bag.

Even at 4-3 I was confident we'd see the game out, although I thought we'd do so by scoring a fifth opposed to holding on- that shows the positive attitudes in the lads going forward.

Impressed with Coutinho. He's been a raw talent since he has joined, but he is continuing to add to his game and hopefully this is the season that he's shows some real consistency. He is the difference.

If ever we needed reminding that a left back is essential, then yesterday was that day. Moreno erratic and impulsive as ever. He will never learn, but I hope Klopp will in this respect.

Mane? Well, what can I say. Take a bow. Great debut for us.

37 cup finals remaining. Let's do this!
      harrydunn08
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,930 posts | 970 
      Reply #796: Aug 15, 2016 02:59:51 pm
      I am far more worried about our midfield than I am about Mignolet or Moreno. We hardly won a tackle or an header in midfield (65/35%). And that was against Arsenal hardly the most physical of teams. If we don't improve (or change personnel) we will be in all sorts of trouble against some of the more powerful midfield runners.

My thoughts exactly.  Although, I look at both Can and Grujic as potential solutions to this conundrum. 
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,484 posts | 8675 
      Reply #797: Aug 15, 2016 03:23:37 pm
      First one Clyne and Lallana don't do their job and Migs screws up at the near post.

A bit harsh on Mignolet, watch that goal again, it's the deflection off Lovren's boot that beats Mignolet. Clyne and Lallana should of done a lot better before Chamberlain got the shot off.

We went to sleep for their second which sent the defence into panic mode and at that point you just knew we'd concede another. Just lucky we composed ourselves enough to see the game out.
      The Real Donavan Ried

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #798: Aug 15, 2016 03:36:05 pm
      According to Lallana, he said to stop showing that much respect, put pressure, counter-press and have a go at them.

Worked :)
      Sure did  ;D
      The Real Donavan Ried

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #799: Aug 15, 2016 03:39:07 pm
      (note to self, must proof read, must proof read)
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #800: Aug 15, 2016 07:09:11 pm
      Don't worry yourself la, Cech let in 4.

Thing is though, it's all well and good having a laugh at Cech letting in 4, but it's not a regular occurrence him letting in many goals in a game where as Mignolet lets in 3 goals in single game far too often.
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,605 posts | 1683 
      • YNWA
      Reply #801: Aug 15, 2016 07:39:25 pm
      I am far more worried about our midfield than I am about Mignolet or Moreno. We hardly won a tackle or an header in midfield (65/35%).

Bit surprised at that saint, specially given Moreno's performance continuing were he left off last season. First half wasn't great across our middle, but thought we were much better in most of the 2nd. Almost 50/50 possession wise away from home, albeit against an injury hit side, didn't think was too bad.
      RedWilly

• 9,214 posts | 1646 
      Reply #802: Aug 15, 2016 07:44:47 pm
      Still buzzing after yesterday's win.

We can pick apart the performance all we want, but everyone knows the first day of the season is a complete unknown and everyone is rusty to a degree.

All about getting out of there with the 3 points and not many teams will take all 3 points at the Emirates this season you can be sure of that.
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,605 posts | 1683 
      • YNWA
      Reply #803: Aug 15, 2016 07:46:24 pm

I *think* he'd start Milner ahead Moreno, but who knows.
      Bit surprised how Milner seems to have accepted the likely FB switch, when he came it was to play regularly in the middle. What midfielder want to play LB!! Needs must though I guess, and it's Klopps way or the highway.
      If Klopp decides he's not going to bring in a recognised LB to play ahead of Moreno :( will be interesting which of the two of them becomes the regular starter back there.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,038 posts | 2692 
      Reply #804: Aug 15, 2016 07:49:15 pm
      According to Lallana, he said to stop showing that much respect, put pressure, counter-press and have a go at them.

Worked :)

So it isn't true that he showed the team a highlight package from the SAW movies as a preview of the next training session if we didn't win?

Quick Reply