Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 23rd of May and on this date LFC's match record is P9 W4 D1 L4

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match v Saints?

Loris Karius
      39 (48.8%)
      Trent Alexander-Arnold
      24 (30%)
      Dejan Lovren
      1 (1.3%)
      Joel Matip
      5 (6.3%)
      James Milner
      3 (3.8%)
      Jordan Henderson
      0 (0%)
      Emre Can
      5 (6.3%)
      Adam Lallana
      2 (2.5%)
      Philippe Coutinho
      0 (0%)
      Roberto Firmino
      1 (1.3%)
      Daniel Sturridge
      0 (0%)
      Divock Origi
      0 (0%)
      Georginio Wijnaldum
      0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 77

Voting closed: Jan 29, 2017 09:58:07 pm

Liverpool 0-1 Southampton: In game and Post Match discussion

Read 35784 times
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,041 posts | 3966 
      Re: Liverpool 0-1 Southampton: In game and Post Match discussion
      Reply #690: Jan 25, 2017 11:31:57 pm
      Learning experience, I don't mean that in a throw away sense. I'm still learning why the F**k we have so many leftovers from BR era when tv money escalated. I'm still learning about Klopps tactics. I'm still learning where that balance is.
        Lets use an analogy in a computer game. if you have a player who can only be mastered to a certain level and that's their limit you might look for others that can exceed that and further be improved upon.

Under investment is biting us in the arse.

HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,031 posts | 1978 
      Reply #691: Jan 25, 2017 11:32:29 pm
      I said pre match it'll be a difficult game. Teams have figured us out now. We're bloody great when the other team have the ball, we hunt them down in packs and force them into mistakes. Now though, the opposition says why don't you have the ball instead and we will put every man we have behind it. When that happens, we have no answers. All we do is pass sideways for 90 minutes and we don't go anywhere. We have no urgency to our play we aren't moving the ball quickly enough, we aren't creative and we have no plan B either. We're constantly playing it out from the back very very slowly and it's all too predictable and so easy to defend against. By the time our goalie rolls it out the other team have 11 men behind the ball.

Karius - Thought he played very well and made some really good saves. My motm.

TAA - Overall he played quite well, got forward and delivered one or two beauty's into the box too. He was caught out of position a couple of times though and we were lucky not to get punished, if that was Moreno he would have got slaughtered.

Lovren - Didn't do much wrong.

Matip - Same but noticed he lost possession quite a few times which isn't like him, a bit rusty perhaps.

Milner - Seemed jittery in the first 15 mins and made a couple of mistakes but settled and played ok after that.

Henderson - Did nothing for me. Thought he had a poor game.

Can - Surprised to see he has been given some votes because I thought he was poor too. He tracked back once or twice and won the ball back for us but apart from that I thought he was terrible. He slowed our play right down and gave the ball away.

Lallana - Worked the hardest out of the midfield 3.

Firmino - Hardly involved. Thought he had a poor game.

Coutinho - Got on the ball more than Firmino did but didn't create anything. Was unlucky with a 25 yard shot though.

Sturridge - big Sturridge fan and been calling for him to start for ages but thought he was terrible too, he just doesn't look interested. That said, our best chances probably fell to him.

Jürgen - it was evident early on that we were in for yet another frustrating night and we would struggle to find a goal. So tell me, why is Jürgen waiting until 75 mins to bring origi on? And why is he waiting until 85 mins to change our set up to a diamond midfield with wijnaldum?  Thought klopp got it all wrong tonight, has he not learnt anything from the past 4-5 weeks?

We've just blown a golden opportunity to get to Wembley there. Credit to Southampton who played very well in both legs, beat us in both legs, so well done to them I hope they win it. 

The Liverpool can do no wrong brigade will probably come on and say we should have had 9 penalties and our passing stats were 98.7% accurate or whatever, but the truth of the matter is we were sh*t once again. Tonight was identical to our previous 6 or 7 games.

Very disappointed.
      Son Of A Gun
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,199 posts | 1275 
      Reply #692: Jan 25, 2017 11:33:53 pm
      I said pre match it'll be a difficult game. Teams have figured us out now. We're bloody great when the other team have the ball, we hunt them down in packs and force them into mistakes. Now though, the opposition says why don't you have the ball instead and we will put every man we have behind it. When that happens, we have no answers. All we do is pass sideways for 90 minutes and we don't go anywhere. We have no urgency to our play we aren't moving the ball quickly enough, we aren't creative and we have no plan B either. We're constantly playing it out from the back very very slowly and it's all too predictable and so easy to defend against. By the time our goalie rolls it out the other team have 11 men behind the ball.

Karius - Thought he played very well and made some really good saves. My motm.

TAA - Overall he played quite well, got forward and delivered one or two beauty's into the box too. He was caught out of position a couple of times though and we were lucky not to get punished, if that was Moreno he would have got slaughtered.

Lovren - Didn't do much wrong.

Matip - Same but noticed he lost possession quite a few times which isn't like him, a bit rusty perhaps.

Milner - Seemed jittery in the first 15 mins and made a couple of mistakes but settled and played ok after that.

Henderson - Did nothing for me. Thought he had a poor game.

Can - Surprised to see he has been given some votes because I thought he was poor too. He tracked back once or twice and won the ball back for us but apart from that I thought he was terrible. He slowed our play right down and gave the ball away.

Lallana - Worked the hardest out of the midfield 3.

Firmino - Hardly involved. Thought he had a poor game.

Coutinho - Got on the ball more than Firmino did but didn't create anything. Was unlucky with a 25 yard shot though.

Sturridge - big Sturridge fan and been calling for him to start for ages but thought he was terrible too, he just doesn't look interested. That said, our best chances probably fell to him.

Jürgen - it was evident early on that we were in for yet another frustrating night and we would struggle to find a goal. So tell me, why is Jürgen waiting until 75 mins to bring origi on? And why is he waiting until 85 mins to change our set up to a diamond midfield with wijnaldum?  Thought klopp got it all wrong tonight, has he not learnt anything from the past 4-5 weeks?

We've just blown a golden opportunity to get to Wembley there. Credit to Southampton who played very well in both legs, beat us in both legs, so well done to them I hope they win it. 

The Liverpool can do no wrong brigade will probably come on and say we should have had 9 penalties and our passing stats were 98.7% accurate or whatever, but the truth of the matter is we were sh*t once again. Tonight was identical to our previous 6 or 7 games.

Very disappointed.

I think the Can up votes are 'ironic' more than anything.
      MarkMitt
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,800 posts | 337 
      • Give it your best every time!
      Reply #693: Jan 25, 2017 11:36:37 pm
      Unravelling. Anyway.

Good, Karius looked solid, as did TAA and Coutinho.

Bad, Klopp, Lallana, Henderson, Matip (though very probably a bit rusty). Firmino, and Studge.

Average, Milner, Lovren, Can

start rant/

Southampton's goal epitomised everything about how we play and how teams set up against us. Give us the ball, let us move it sideways and backward, get your chance. Score. Rinse. Repeat.

Ok, so nobody wants to sell us their best players in January. Fine. Then change stuff. Stop playing Can, stop playing Firmino out wide, stop playing Can and Henderson together, stop bringing players (Wijnaldum) on with 4 minutes left to play. Change formation. Do something. We are way too predictable and Klopp needs to have a rethink before we are left hoping we get Europa league football next season.

We get carved open on the counter so easily it's embarrassing. And scary. Guaranteed that's how all teams will now play against us and I'm starting to think not much will change when Mane comes back. Teams know how to blunt our approach play. In fact, I seriously hope that Mane isn't the be all and end all of Liverpool FC. For me that doesn't tell me just how good Mane is, it tells me how thin on talent the squad is.

We aren't good enough because we aren't consistent enough. I really couldn't care less how we played a couple of months ago. 90 minutes is a long time in football. What good is it when you fall to pieces like this? Yes we've had injuries, but we've been really poor with an almost full strength 11 for a few games now. Know how many points we've picked up since Klopp said something along the lines of it must be irritating when you've won 12 games in a row to see a team only 6 points behind you? None. Ironic.

We have not yet recruited when almost all of us are begging for at least one player who can give us a lift. I cannot believe we can't find a single player out there. I know there are 6 days left, but I'm not holding my breath. I know Spurs, Arsenal, Chelsea, Man U, Man City haven't recruited either, but aside from Man City, none of those teams look shot to pieces and going into regression. Klopp also said he's not looking for a LB in the summer either. Worrying. And one more thing, I have noticed Klopp is starting to blame fixtures, referees, and the wind. Stop it, please. We lost because we were second best and have been over 180 minutes. We lost 2-0 and we were lucky to get 0.

/rant end

We've had a bad January. sh*t happens. It isn't the first time and it won't be the last. It's now up to the lads to turn this around...

6stringer
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,051 posts | 517 
      Reply #694: Jan 25, 2017 11:43:06 pm
      Southampton had runners! end of.
      They have players that when they get the ball they run at the opposition... Redmond, Long, Simms,Tadic.

We don't have one player that will just run at the defence...Mane maybe.

We just seemed to have morphed back into the team that Roger's had for his final few weeks..

There's me thinking Southampton would struggle without Van Dijk :roll:

Southampton will win that trophy, and deservedly so.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,333 posts | 2834 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #695: Jan 25, 2017 11:43:39 pm
      Can - Surprised to see he has been given some votes because I thought he was poor too.

If Emre Can was man of the match, I'm Mother Teresa of Calcutta!
      MarkMitt
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,800 posts | 337 
      • Give it your best every time!
      Reply #696: Jan 25, 2017 11:44:20 pm
      Rewatching the pen appeal the ref got it right

Handball or the foul on Origi? The handball hit his upper arm, but Long moved toward it. Very shady. The Origi one? Well, the defender never made contact with the ball and I thought it looked like he trod on Origis foot and pushed from behind. But irrelevant as they weren't given. However, what is disconcerting is our difficulty in scoring from open play just lately. We can't rely on Studge now. His legs have gone and he simply isn't quick now. Origi has lost form and we really need a 20+ goals a season striker to help us out at the moment.

fishpie
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,570 posts | 212 
      Reply #697: Jan 25, 2017 11:47:24 pm

Hello Teresa, I voted him MOTM
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #698: Jan 25, 2017 11:49:55 pm
      fishpie
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,570 posts | 212 
      Reply #699: Jan 25, 2017 11:51:42 pm

I saved that gif once, I felt wrong for doing it ;D, mines higher quality though.
      Binomial
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 885 posts | 37 
      • Doing things over and expecting different results
      Reply #700: Jan 26, 2017 12:06:33 am
      My motm goes to the young boy TAA.

At times got a roasting but he had no help and coming up against Redmond and Bertrand is a handful for anyone, going forward he was very good.

Doesn't seem fazed by anything, good young talent on our hands here.
      beardo number 7
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 343 posts | 96 
      Reply #701: Jan 26, 2017 12:11:26 am
      What are you on about? He was a lot better than Hendo and Lallana. Plus he was the first to be subbed, so vent your anger elsewhere ffs.
        Stop  it lad he's sh*te! Looks overweight to me he just huffs and puffs and gives the ball away?f***in yard dog is too slow for the premiere league and has been found out😡

Binomial
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 885 posts | 37 
      Reply #702: Jan 26, 2017 12:24:32 am

He wasn't  motm but he was our best midfielder today, lallana was as bad as bad can be and hendo is as dull as they come.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #703: Jan 26, 2017 12:30:02 am
      He wasn't  motm but he was our best midfielder today, lallana was as bad as bad can be and hendo is as dull as they come.

Lallana was pissing me off to be honest. Having a go at TAA, sulking when the ball wasn't played to him how he wanted it but then virtually every time he had the ball, he gave it away.
      Binomial
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 885 posts | 37 
      Reply #704: Jan 26, 2017 12:34:37 am
      Lallana was pissing me off to be honest. Having a go at TAA, sulking when the ball wasn't played to him how he wanted it but then virtually every time he had the ball, he gave it away.

Don't  think I've  ever seen him take a shot on goal or try and beat a man.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,506 posts | 4850 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #705: Jan 26, 2017 12:41:21 am
      His tweets are protected, can't see whatever he posted

"Liverpool need Youri Tielemans on tonight's showing.Perfect for that killer pass."

Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,333 posts | 2834 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #706: Jan 26, 2017 12:46:02 am
      "Liverpool need Youri Tielemans on tonight's showing.Perfect for that killer pass."

One of those players I only know from Football Manager. He becomes quite good on the game, central midfielder from Belgium, Anderlecht I think. Never saw him play though
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,506 posts | 4850 
      Reply #707: Jan 26, 2017 12:49:47 am
      You always take defeat so well. I don't know how you do it. I'm f**king so angry and it's ruining my marriage

:D
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,506 posts | 4850 
      Reply #708: Jan 26, 2017 12:58:09 am
      Because you can't just change an entire squad over 1 summer. Re-building takes time. All well and good buying a load of new players but then you just find yourself like City for the majority of their time since being taken over.

My memory is sh*te and I am pissed as a fart mate but didn't we do okay at the 'getting rid' part of the rebuilding bit last Summer?

In comparison to the other part?

Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #709: Jan 26, 2017 01:19:35 am
      Utter f**king w*nk.

Never deserved that over 180 minutes of football.

Wheels are coming off at a rapid pace.

One win in seven and that was only at the second attempt against a Div 2 side.

Again, we've paid the price for a poor attacking display.

Klopp's been schooled again, at home to an ex-PE teacher on Saturday and now again to the Saints.
      « Last Edit: Jan 26, 2017 01:33:15 am by Beerbelly »
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #710: Jan 26, 2017 01:31:44 am

Embarrassingly desperate stuff, as it's actually happening.  :f_doh:
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #711: Jan 26, 2017 01:35:25 am

I think you need to get out of that HABIT.
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #712: Jan 26, 2017 01:37:51 am
      What is so sad is we never looked like scoring and sad to say Southampton should of had 3 or 4 but for bad finishing. :f_steam:

Quick Reply