Trending Topics

Next match: Betis v LFC [Friendly] Sat 27th Jul @ 12:30 am
      Acrisure Stadium

Today is the 16th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P0 W0 D0 L0

Mohammed Salah >> Al Ittihad

Read 27007 times
      Longy-Shops
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,500 posts | 826 
      Re: Mohammed Salah >> Al Ittihad
      Reply #368: Sep 02, 2023 10:51:47 am
      At the risk of being labelled a heretic, I'll put my head above the parapet and say NO player is worth Ā£200M. IF that offer comes in I'd be shaking his hand, thanking him for what he's done and wishing him well in his new found retirement.
      Scottbot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,628 posts | 2161 
      Reply #369: Sep 02, 2023 11:05:00 am
      I know Kloppā€™s said itā€™s done but the fact heā€™s repeatedly discussed the Saudi window being open longer suggests he might still be a bit worried about where this is heading.

200m offer in the next few days will certainly tempt a few at the club involved in these sorts of decisions.

I think that whatever they offer during this window will be on the table again in January and also next summer. The club really are in a good spot in some ways because itā€™s crazy money for a player who is 31 years old. If they are clever they will identify targets, agree fees and have a couple of key signings ready for as and when this happens. Iā€™m the mean time I personally think Mo will get his head down and play as he normally does.
      ruthcity

• 6,938 posts | 1480 
      Reply #370: Sep 02, 2023 11:56:35 am
      Everybody has a price. There is no such thing as loving this club and and loving the player that he will never leave. As long as the offer is too good, he will leave.

It doesnā€™t matter what JĆ¼rgen says or if we are short of a player or if itā€™s too late to find a replacement.

If the offer is Ā£500m thereā€™s no way the owners are going to reject. Everybodyā€™s opinion wouldnā€™t matter. Relegation? Yeah weā€™re heading there. JĆ¼rgen? His view doesnā€™t matter. We canā€™t win? Who cares. Silly move? To hell with your view. Weā€™re taking the money.

If the offer is Ā£800m? Please get out of the club now. We donā€™t want you here. At a certain price, each of us will want him gone. But those who will not move even at a Ā£5b, you only care about keeping the player you love and have no commercial sense. Iā€™d personally take the money and run.

Everybody has their own price which theyā€™d let him go. Whatā€™s yours?
      rogni
      • Forum Matt Busby

• 127 posts |
      Reply #371: Sep 02, 2023 12:14:51 pm
      We have massive bargaining power at the moment - Iā€™m not convinced weā€™ll have the same leverage this time next year given heā€™ll be a year older and only one year left in his contract.  It doesnā€™t help we arenā€™t in the CL this year.  North of 200 mill would be very tempting - replacements/competition for Robbo,  VVD and Trent (unless Bradley comes good!)
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,605 posts | 1683 
      • YNWA
      Reply #372: Sep 02, 2023 12:33:53 pm

This gets said a lot, but I don't think it's true. Don't think everyone has a price. Some people will make a stand for something and won't waver. It's not the majority, but they are out there.
      RedBelle
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 825 posts | 136 
      Reply #373: Sep 02, 2023 12:42:36 pm
      First I would hope that he stays.
      The question for me is if when the next big offer comes in (which it definitely will and if we're thinking any different then we're fools!) and the club consider taking it (which they will have to if it's stupid money) are we able to last until January with our strike force as it is now?
      There's lots of comments about having time to identify a replacement this season for the inevitable but surely the Club must already have some contingency in place now?
      Everyone keeps saying he's 31 and yes I know he can play for a few more years but if we haven't considered the prospect he might move before we really want to let him go and have some form of plan/player in mind then shame on us!
      More to the point what do we do if he gets (heaven forbid) a really bad long term injury which rules him out for months if we can't manage without him?
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,388 posts | 1543 
      Reply #374: Sep 02, 2023 12:43:41 pm
      If this was the beginning of the. Window,I think theyā€™d have taken Ā£150m but as weā€™ve no option to look at replacements, I think theyā€™ll stick till Jan at least, and get the ball rolling now in a search.

Who you got in mind people 🤷ā€ā™‚ļø
      Rush Goalie
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,363 posts | 290 
      Reply #375: Sep 02, 2023 01:06:40 pm
      I wouldn't mind betting we've come to some sort of agreement to allow Mo to go in January possibly or next summer, we'll get the players/player we want but the ground work will start now.
      As for the Saudi league it's an unsustainable joke but we will have to take that money at some point. Its sad really because Mo is a superb athlete who can play until 40. I'd fully expect to see him back in Europe within 3 years, look when Beckham went to the MLS at 32, he came back and played 3 half seasons on loan at AC Milan. They'll miss the big European games, competitiveness and crowds, Itll be like playing at Southports ground in the sun.
      Maybe a lot of these players expect it to fall on its arse or think I'll have 2 or 3 years of this and them a last hurrah somewhere?
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,791 posts | 7190 
      Reply #376: Sep 02, 2023 01:32:17 pm
      ask Mo if he thinks he will get the same Buzz by beating an team of celebrities as he did last Sunday you cant put a price on that and his football life will be over in a flash it would be a shame to waste in in Saudi. He is already wealthy beyond most peoples dreams it should be his legacy he wants to protect and I think it is important to him.
      Don77

• 6,635 posts | 1125 
      Reply #377: Sep 02, 2023 01:36:02 pm
      ask Mo if he thinks he will get the same Buzz by beating an team of celebrities as he did last Sunday you cant put a price on that and his football life will be over in a flash it would be a shame to waste in in Saudi. He is already wealthy beyond most peoples dreams it should be his legacy he wants to protect and I think it is important to him.

Take that point mate. But I never thought Henderson who is similarly well off would jeopardise his legacy and also turn his back on all the human rights groups he represented. I know he's a couple of years further on age wise. But greed seems to rule over everything.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,517 posts | 8685 
      Reply #378: Sep 02, 2023 01:47:24 pm
      It should be but isnā€™t. So many players heads have been turned this transfer window due to outrageous wages.

Nice to see Mo's head wasn't turned, he was off being a tourist in London visiting the London museum.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,517 posts | 8685 
      Reply #379: Sep 02, 2023 01:50:10 pm
      1.5 million A WEEK.

Thats what Salah was offered.

Ramy met the Saudis this week. Thats why he didnt tweet again

Pearce suggesting Salah was open to the move and that personal terms may have been agreed

Whew. Feel like we're gonna be in for an irritating week of Saudi news

An awful lot of suggestion there, like you don't know exactly what happened.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,218 posts | 3393 
      Reply #380: Sep 02, 2023 01:51:37 pm
      I completely get this and agree with you for the most part, although not sure those in the driving seat of the club would say the same.

Reckon if a bid comes in thatā€™s outrageous money they might accept it, and if Salah wants the move I wouldnā€™t begrudge him for taking it. He has the potential to literally be the face of football in the Middle East and get paid handsomely for it too.

Bar his will he/wonā€™t he prior to signing an extension with us, Iā€™d argue heā€™s given us plenty in his time here and heā€™ll still be classed as a legend when we look back on his time here in the future.

For what itā€™s worth Iā€™d built myself up and resigned to losing him this summer as thought the extension was a play to keep all parties happy and for us to command a decent fee rather than see his contract run down. I did think it would be PSG too but the Mbappe drama have probably stopped that from becoming an option.

Iā€™d caveat that with the fact Iā€™d rather keep him at least until next summer at the earliest as weā€™ve already lost so much experience and we cannot replace until January if he does go.

To play devils advocate, do you think our front line without him is strong enough? I think itā€™s still relatively strong albeit a bit raw but I feel weā€™ll have some goals coming from midfield this year. Also if we get some injuries weā€™re likely to need to rely on Doak et al but think thereā€™s worse positions to be in.

Think weā€™re in for a turbulent week to be honest.

I'll answer the question about our front line in a sec mate but I just want to address the first line of your post.

Those in the driving seat may not agree, especially in six to twelve months time but so far the club have said he's not for sale and have stood strong on that stance. Klopp has said he's not for sale and his agent has said he's happy (which must of come from Mo himself). So those in the driving seats seem rather comfortable in him staying.

Now for the front line and if they're strong enough without him - no they're not. And that's mainly for a reason I mentioned somewhere else in this thread, the players we currently have are not suited to playing on the right wing. We saw a few times last year how ineffective Diaz was on the right compared to the left, Jota for me is wasted unless played through the middle, Nunez in a pain in the arse playing centrally and Gakpo is handy dropping deep not wide. So for me, without Salah (right now) we're massively weakened.

In a few years, Doak might have cemented himself in the team in that position. Certainly has the potential and is clearly fancied by the staff at Anfield. So there's a possibility that he gets the nod in time but it's a huge ask for a 17 year old kid to come in and replace an all-time Liverpool great.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,517 posts | 8685 
      Reply #381: Sep 02, 2023 01:51:55 pm
      Tom Cleverly "Salah will be asking are we gonna win the League this year? Probably not. Are we gonna win the Champions League this yeah? Big ask"

Well yeah since we aren't F***ing in it you soft manc c**t. How do these people get paid to be this dumb?

Hahahaha Tom "not even good enough for Everton" Cleverly

Who's taking that F***ing failure seriously?
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,517 posts | 8685 
      Reply #382: Sep 02, 2023 01:56:32 pm

For the Million Dollar Man

:lmao:
      IrishRed_IO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,488 posts | 350 
      • Formerly InertObject
      Reply #383: Sep 02, 2023 02:34:39 pm
      I'll answer the question about our front line in a sec mate but I just want to address the first line of your post.

Those in the driving seat may not agree, especially in six to twelve months time but so far the club have said he's not for sale and have stood strong on that stance. Klopp has said he's not for sale and his agent has said he's happy (which must of come from Mo himself). So those in the driving seats seem rather comfortable in him staying.

Now for the front line and if they're strong enough without him - no they're not. And that's mainly for a reason I mentioned somewhere else in this thread, the players we currently have are not suited to playing on the right wing. We saw a few times last year how ineffective Diaz was on the right compared to the left, Jota for me is wasted unless played through the middle, Nunez in a pain in the arse playing centrally and Gakpo is handy dropping deep not wide. So for me, without Salah (right now) we're massively weakened.

In a few years, Doak might have cemented himself in the team in that position. Certainly has the potential and is clearly fancied by the staff at Anfield. So there's a possibility that he gets the nod in time but it's a huge ask for a 17 year old kid to come in and replace an all-time Liverpool great.

All fair points too mate as always and in the spirit of what the forum is for, discussions :)

I still canā€™t get rid of this niggly feeling of something happening, likely not helped to what I feel was going to happen along with all the over reactions Iā€™ve witnessed this summer window haha!

I do hope youā€™re right though!
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,044 posts | 3967 
      Reply #384: Sep 02, 2023 02:49:27 pm
      Reading the various posts here and the most telling response is from Mo's agent (most likely the man himself) who states the player is going nowhere.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,218 posts | 3393 
      Reply #385: Sep 02, 2023 02:51:37 pm
      All fair points too mate as always and in the spirit of what the forum is for, discussions :)

I still canā€™t get rid of this niggly feeling of something happening, likely not helped to what I feel was going to happen along with all the over reactions Iā€™ve witnessed this summer window haha!

I do hope youā€™re right though!

The only concern I have is that we're entering an international break where non-Liverpool people will be able to get into Salah's ear.

If it was a normal week, even with their window still open, I'd be very comfortable that no matter what the bid is we'd reject it and Mo would be happy. But being away from the club, his team-mates, fans and JĆ¼rgen can allow outside voices to have that little bit more influence on Mo, which in turn will ultimately influence our stance.

I still have the belief that he's our player for the duration but this international break could just have come at the wrong time for us.
      IrishRed_IO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,488 posts | 350 
      • Formerly InertObject
      Reply #386: Sep 02, 2023 03:43:33 pm
      The only concern I have is that we're entering an international break where non-Liverpool people will be able to get into Salah's ear.

If it was a normal week, even with their window still open, I'd be very comfortable that no matter what the bid is we'd reject it and Mo would be happy. But being away from the club, his team-mates, fans and JĆ¼rgen can allow outside voices to have that little bit more influence on Mo, which in turn will ultimately influence our stance.

I still have the belief that he's our player for the duration but this international break could just have come at the wrong time for us.

Also a very valid point which I didnā€™t even think of, probably because I despise international football  :lmao: guess that happens when your national team arenā€™t very good!

Fingers crossed itā€™s an outcome we hope for not the one we fear!
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 17,336 posts | 2775 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #387: Sep 02, 2023 03:51:24 pm
      Nice to see Mo's head wasn't turned, he was off being a tourist in London visiting the London museum.

So the social media will now say heā€™s joining Chavs.  :lmao:
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,832 posts | 2459 
      Reply #388: Sep 02, 2023 03:54:49 pm
      Tom Cleverly "Salah will be asking are we gonna win the League this year? Probably not. Are we gonna win the Champions League this yeah? Big ask"

Well yeah since we aren't F***ing in it you soft manc c**t. How do these people get paid to be this dumb?

Ahaha forgot about that Manc moron "Cleverly" so he became a dumb pundit :lmao:
      ruthcity

• 6,938 posts | 1480 
      Reply #389: Sep 02, 2023 03:57:00 pm
      This gets said a lot, but I don't think it's true. Don't think everyone has a price. Some people will make a stand for something and won't waver. It's not the majority, but they are out there.

Good for them. They represent morals, integrity, sportsmanship, good spirit for winning, love for fans, love for players and love for club. They never waiver no matter how much is dangled in front of them. Ā£10b? Ā£100b? Money isnā€™t everything.

As much as this should be the spirit, these go out of the window commercially when so much money is dangled for everyone to grab. We have to be realistic that itā€™s practical to go for the money. And these would leave many who believe ā€œmoney isnā€™t everythingā€ to be ultimately disappointed most of the time. Itā€™s unfortunate but the business side of the game is how it is.

The supply curve is upward sloping for a reason. The higher the price, more sellers will be willing to deal.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,218 posts | 3393 
      Reply #390: Sep 02, 2023 03:58:28 pm
      Ahaha forgot about that Manc moron "Cleverly" so he became a dumb pundit :lmao:

I think he's also involved with Watford's coaching staff.

That was the club he was with when he retired.

But after that Champions League line and that bald c**t Damesh pissing himself because we're not in it this year, I had to turn it off. Couldn't cope anymore.

Quick Reply