Trending Topics

Next match: Betis v LFC [Friendly] Sat 27th Jul @ 12:30 am
      Acrisure Stadium

Today is the 16th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P0 W0 D0 L0

We need another world class striker

Read 7189 times
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Re: We need another world class striker
      Reply #23: Feb 26, 2008 11:24:54 am
      Along with getting another world class striker I feel that we also need 2 world class wingers, I personally feel that we should go after Joe Cole because he is an amazing left winger and has that flair we lack on the wings, he is also unsettled at chelsea because he found out he was dropped for the carling cup final through the papers. I would have thought he would sign for us if we had an offer accepted, but chelsea would probably want around 15-20 million. The other world class winger should be either David Silva, Ricardo Quaresma or Joaquin because they are just truly amazing and would scare the opposition and get loads of assists for Torres and the other world class striker
      lil cisse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,957 posts | 62 
      Reply #24: Feb 26, 2008 01:40:55 pm
      Upfront i would welcome david villa to our team and would be delighted to see him join it does look all set up considering the situation at valencia i would love to see him here if we have the money, for a winger, for me theres only 2 options i can think of at the moment, Quaresma or someone heavily overlooked, van der vaart.

villa a winger, rafinha then insua and mascherano both being tied up on permanent deals would suit us well.
      sjkreds
      • Forum Jason McAteer

• 142 posts |
      • Reincarnation anyone?
      Reply #25: Feb 26, 2008 01:45:56 pm
      Ah, the old 4-5-2 formation, I have to say I agree with you we'd probably win most games setup like that, but would the FA allow us to field 12 players?

:rasp: :rasp: :rasp:

Imagine the embarassment i could have saved if i picked up on that before logging off!  :f_steam:
      oh well, 7 subs next year, maybe 12 players the next!
      Rafa La Bamba
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 3,895 posts | -157 
      • In Rafa We Trust
      Reply #26: Feb 27, 2008 07:11:56 pm
      Well if we are to get a world class striker in the summer who'd be your first choice?

Poll would be nice! :)
      donrafael
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,645 posts | 48 
      Reply #27: Feb 27, 2008 07:15:42 pm
      David Villa... although Eto'o looks more likely now that Barcelona have come in for Villa, leaving Eto'o surplus to requirements at the Camp Nou.

Court LFC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,496 posts | 182 
      Reply #28: Feb 27, 2008 07:17:40 pm
      David Villa... although Eto'o looks more likely now that Barcelona have come in for Villa, leaving Eto'o surplus to requirements at the Camp Nou.

Barca in for Villa?  :o

What about us going in for Thierry Henry? 

And I know what you're going to say next :D
      donrafael
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,645 posts | 48 
      Reply #29: Feb 27, 2008 07:19:37 pm
      Barca in for Villa?  :o

What about Thierry Henry?

Guillem Balage said yesterday on La Liga that Barca reps met with David Villa reps last week.

If the current coaching set-up stays the same next season, Samuel Eto'o will be shown the door...

Henry, Messi to stay... Ronaldinho also on way out apparently...
      Court LFC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,496 posts | 182 
      Reply #30: Feb 27, 2008 07:21:40 pm
      Guillem Balage said yesterday on La Liga that Barca reps met with David Villa reps last week.

If the current coaching set-up stays the same next season, Samuel Eto'o will be shown the door...

Henry, Messi to stay... Ronaldinho also on way out apparently...

Oh right.

I'm suprised no one pulled me up on Thierry being on the wrong side of 30.  Eto'o in that case is 26 - 27?  It's all about how much Barca are going to ask for....
      Rafa La Bamba
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 3,895 posts | -157 
      • In Rafa We Trust
      Reply #31: Feb 27, 2008 07:22:47 pm
      What about us going in for Thierry Henry? 

And I know what you're going to say next :D

Too old now, we need younger strikers who are in their prime or reaching their prime like Torres is. I'd say Villa is in his prime now, but I reckon he'd have more to offer if he came over to England and improved him game!

In my opinion Eto'o, Villa & Torres are the top three strikers in the world!!! Players like Van Nisterooy & Huntlear score plenty of goals but they don't have too much to their game until they are inside the box. Torres, Villa & Eto'o are lethal outside and inside the box.. they have so much more to their games then a quality poacher! We don't need a poacher, a poacher is usefull for a team that creates chance after chance after chance.. like Arsenal for example who are in need of one!
      ste_macca
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,175 posts | 22 
      Reply #32: Feb 27, 2008 07:27:44 pm
      Eto and Villa  for me i reckon, how about given Krisztian Nemeth from the reserves a chance next season, blood him in early, give him a chance along side Torres in pre season.
      Rafa La Bamba
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 3,895 posts | -157 
      • In Rafa We Trust
      Reply #33: Feb 27, 2008 07:36:40 pm
      Yes Nemeth is a quality young player but if we want to challenge for silverware then we have to be real here. We need someone who's going to do it there and then, Nemeth has a lot to learn and is not ready to play for a club our size just yet. I'd loan Nemeth out for a season or so, because playing in the Prem is quite a lot different to playing in reserves!

I'd say someone like Villa would be the perfect partner for Torres. They both play together for Spain and if they did so for club aswell just imagine how well their partnership would get!

Eto'o is an attractive option, however I don't know if him & Torres could play together... you need one striker always sitting deeper and neither like to do that.. this is why I'd go for Villa as he's talented enough to play the second striker role!
      lil cisse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,957 posts | 62 
      Reply #34: Feb 27, 2008 07:47:59 pm
      Villa doesnt like the second striker option either. He's talented enough to play that role as is eto'o but that doesnt mean either like playing that role and to be honest villa doesnt. For spain he doesnt play second striker to torres they both play very high up.

We need another world class striker but i dont know who yet, Villa looks a great option though.
      donrafael
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,645 posts | 48 
      Reply #35: Feb 27, 2008 07:48:14 pm
      My biggest issue with Eto'o is his attitude off the pitch - has a bit of a reputation for a dressing room breaker (Real Madrid, Mallorca and now Barca).

I would imagine Carra and SG ...or even a Torres or a Masch would have his cojones for breakfast... which would mean that it would be a very expensive mistake by the club.

I would personally go elsewhere and not touch Samuel Eto'o with a barge pole.
      Rafa La Bamba
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 3,895 posts | -157 
      • In Rafa We Trust
      Reply #36: Feb 27, 2008 07:52:31 pm
      Villa doesnt like the second striker option either. He's talented enough to play that role as is eto'o but that doesnt mean either like playing that role and to be honest villa doesnt. For spain he doesnt play second striker to torres they both play very high up.

We need another world class striker but I dont know who yet, Villa looks a great option though.

When I say second striker I don't mean Kuyts very deep midfield role, I mean just behind Torres. You don't play with two strikers who are both exactly the same lenght up the pitch as possible.. it's always one striker just off the last defender and the other a little before that. Therefore yes Villa would be the second striker as Torres would be highest up the pitch!

Why is your name lil cisse anyway? Just curious as Cisse left us ages ago!
      lil cisse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,957 posts | 62 
      Reply #37: Feb 27, 2008 07:58:36 pm
      yes i see what you mean thats true and obviously you dont have both strikers exactly the same length up the pitch. my only problem is where is the money for these WC players going to come from. we need 50 million minimum.

we were talking about sprinting yesterday werent we, not hard to work out. Im sure if rafa left you wouldnt change your name.
      ste_macca
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,175 posts | 22 
      Reply #38: Feb 27, 2008 08:00:26 pm
      Why is your name lil cisse anyway? Just curious as Cisse left us ages ago!

Maybe he is the real Cisse.
      donrafael
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,645 posts | 48 
      Reply #39: Feb 27, 2008 08:02:40 pm
      Im sure if rafa left you wouldnt change your name.

Not sure about Ra Ra... but I would.

I'm not calling myself donmaureen that is for sure!
      Rafa La Bamba
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 3,895 posts | -157 
      • In Rafa We Trust
      Reply #40: Feb 27, 2008 08:05:51 pm
      £50m minimum? What for one world class striker? I doubt it, the media make things sound like players would cost that much but in reality look how much world class players cost. No more than £30m unless your Real Madrid and want to buy the best player in the whole wide world.

Fernando Torres was well known in Spain and in England, he cost us just £21m so I believe that Villa would cost £25m - £30m tops.

It's just being clever with the money which is the key, and Rafa knew that Torres had all the qualities so succeed in the Premiership!

I think more foreign players are finding it easier to adapt to the Premiership now. Not so much a few years ago but then we've seen some great foreign players playing in this league proving that it can be done! Mascherano, Tevez, Torres, Ronaldo etc and when I think quality players are in a quality squad then they stand more of a chance!
      lil cisse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,957 posts | 62 
      Reply #41: Feb 27, 2008 08:08:45 pm
      £50m minimum? What for one world class striker? I doubt it, the media make things sound like players would cost that much but in reality look how much world class players cost. No more than £30m unless your Real Madrid and want to buy the best player in the whole wide world.

Fernando Torres was well known in Spain and in England, he cost us just £21m so I believe that Villa would cost £25m - £30m tops.

It's just being clever with the money which is the key, and Rafa knew that Torres had all the qualities so succeed in the Premiership!

I think more foreign players are finding it easier to adapt to the Premiership now. Not so much a few years ago but then we've seen some great foreign players playing in this league proving that it can be done! Mascherano, Tevez, Torres, Ronaldo etc and when I think quality players are in a quality squad then they stand more of a chance!

;D now read what I said properly and realise I was talking about all the signings we actually need. Getting David Villa wont win us the league. You must really think some people are stupid, like Villa would cost 50 f*****g million especially with the situation at valencia. If i was talking about just Villa i would have said where is the money for Villa gonna come from not where is the money for THESE WC players.
      Rafa La Bamba
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 3,895 posts | -157 
      • In Rafa We Trust
      Reply #42: Feb 27, 2008 08:16:12 pm

;D now read what I said properly and realise I was talking about all the signings we actually need. Getting David Villa wont win us the league. You must really think some people are stupid, like Villa would cost 50 f*****g million especially with the situation at valencia. If I was talking about just Villa I would have said where is the money for Villa gonna come from not where is the money for THESE WC players.

Of course David Villa couldn't win us the league. We need at least one world class winger with a brilliant delivery (Ricardo Quaresma) one world class striker (David Villa) & possibly two world class fullbacks.. Alves, Lahm etc...

You see, we are in my opinion, four world class players away from the league title!

To be honest in a way I think David Silva would probably be the best buy from Valencia as he's got so much potential to his name, only 22 and playing like he's world class already! He would be cheaper than Villa... for sure!

Valencia are playing Barcelona in the Copa Del Ray Semi Final at half eight so don't miss it. We'll see what Valencia player impresses the most.. my bet is Silva. Joaquin is a quality winger, but Quaresma has more to his game than Joaquin and is a lot more consistent!

Anyway here's hoping Eto'o & Villa both score!
      lil cisse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,957 posts | 62 
      Reply #43: Feb 27, 2008 08:23:49 pm
      Thanks for the tip I think I'll watch.

This is what I mean by 50 million minimum you just clarified what im saying (not having a go or anything). Where is this money going to come from, that is my only thought at the moment for the summer.

With Villa at like £20-25 million thats like half of 50 mill already.

Then players like quaresma and alves are rated at the same price.

Silva and lahm a little less.

Is kick off 8:30 or 9:00?
      ste_macca
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,175 posts | 22 
      Reply #44: Feb 27, 2008 08:26:49 pm
      with all these top world class forwards we all want here at our club, were gonna need a few more world class mids to get the ball through to these fellas, gonna be an expensive new season.
      lil cisse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,957 posts | 62 
      Reply #45: Feb 27, 2008 08:30:06 pm
      We have world class mids, Stevie, Xabi and Javier If we get one more its gotta be Diego. We need WC wingers though.

Quick Reply