Trending Topics

Next match: Betis v LFC [Friendly] Sat 27th Jul @ 12:30 am
      Acrisure Stadium

Today is the 16th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P0 W0 D0 L0

We need another world class striker

Read 7190 times
      Rafa La Bamba
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 3,895 posts | -157 
      • In Rafa We Trust
      We need another world class striker
      Feb 26, 2008 12:36:55 am
      I don't think we need a poacher like Huntleear, I think we need a very talented striker who's got a lot more to his game.

Fernando Torres is currently our world class striker. It's his first season at the club and not many opposition teams have come up to face him yet so defending against him would be a struggle. Next season might be different, they might set themselves out just to stop him so this is why I think we should buy another world class striker in the summer... called David Villa.

Remember stopping one world class striker is one thing, stopping two is quite another!
      lil cisse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,957 posts | 62 
      Re: We need another world class striker
      Reply #1: Feb 26, 2008 12:51:57 am
      If we have the money to im all for it, but it doesnt look like we do.
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #2: Feb 26, 2008 01:02:02 am
      Would class, probably. Someone who you can bank on putting the ball in the net with his eyes closed, definitely.

You're right saying two problems up front is better than one next season.
      Rafa La Bamba
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 3,895 posts | -157 
      • In Rafa We Trust
      Reply #3: Feb 26, 2008 01:06:47 am
      If we have the money to im all for it, but it doesnt look like we do.

Which would be a real shame, because Villa has more to his game than Torres does.. just that he's not as natural as Torres when it comes to movement. Fernando Torres is a natural predator, David Villa has the natural touch and control.

I think when playing against a team that defends deep and in numbers then David Villa is the one as he can produce something brilliant. He has the perfect technique that any footballer would dream of. No one strikes the ball as cleanly as Villa does and also he is very intelligent in knowing how to break a packed defense down.
      Torres on the other hand is a predator.. give him too much respect and he'll punish you with his pace, movement, agility and class.

Torres will be double marked next season for sure, but if we got David Villa could you afford to double mark him aswell? I don't think so!
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #4: Feb 26, 2008 01:18:17 am
      I personally believe that there is only 1 or 2 other strikers in the world that would have a great partnership with Torres and thats David Villa and Samuel Eto'o, we all know how effective Villa and Torres are because of when they play for spain together and Eto'o is a similar type of player to them two, pace, skill, strength and just generaly oozes class. Whether we can get one of them to is a different story and all depends on who the owners are and who the manager is so until then there is no guarentee that we will even be able to get in another world class striker. And as for Torres being double marked next season well he has been double marked for nearly the whole of this season so if we do get Villa or Eto'o then there is no answer to the damage Torres would do to the opposition and also no telling what the other world class striker would do to the opposition.
      Rafa La Bamba
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 3,895 posts | -157 
      • In Rafa We Trust
      Reply #5: Feb 26, 2008 01:29:04 am
      3 more league goals and then Torres would of scored the same amount of league goals that Tevez & Rooney have scored between them :D
      I think when people talk about the front two of Man Utd, I think they are massively overrated.

Rooney - 8 league goals
      Tevez - 10 league goals

This is hardly anything to be proud of seeing all the hype they've got in the past! But could you imagine us with Torres & Villa in the same team? That would be just devastating, I know they play for Spain together but the manager is Aragonez who really is a terrible manager :D

I think Villa, Torres & Eto'o are probably the three best strikers in the world right now. Tevez & Rooney are good players but are massively overhyped and don't compare with others.

I know it's youtube but just watch the technique David Villa has...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=http://youtube.com/watch?v=xjXk6wIoIaQ
      Dadorious
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #6: Feb 26, 2008 01:59:10 am
      Yeah Villa is class if not him I would like to see us purchase Benzema.
      DOBBS83
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,034 posts | 34 
      • @chrisdobbs83
      Reply #7: Feb 26, 2008 06:49:59 am
      i think some one should hold up a sign at the next game at anfeild to show rafa that reads "Torres first, Villa next!" or something along those lines.
      Either way Benitez should get the message that Anfeild wants Villa aswell apart from that and chanting i cant think of a way to get the message across.

would be unstopable if we had those 2 up front, i seriously think we could win the league and the champions league with these 2 and what we already have.
      Venom-C
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 806 posts |
      Reply #8: Feb 26, 2008 07:03:16 am
      I've always said that there are 2 ways out of our problem...

1 - world class striker
      2 - world class winger

Option number one would be obvious, for the reasons stated above.

Option number two I believe will help us just as much because if we improve the service our midfield delivers, then we can put kuyt back into his natural role and knock them in for fun like he did for feyenoord.
      bartman49
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,157 posts | 37 
      Reply #9: Feb 26, 2008 07:22:14 am
      we need more than just a forward and after last nights results that lot over the other side of the park have the momentum going now to see them all the way home into 4th or even  3rd on present form and boy if that happens it will hurt.We have been chugging along like an old banger so wake up lads or them toffee nose twits will steal it.
      neilh2105
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,275 posts | 37 
      Reply #10: Feb 26, 2008 07:32:06 am
      We also require a further world class strikers as an insurance policy because if Torres picked up any type of injury at anytime  we'd be truly fu**ed, if it happened right now you could kiss that fourth spot goodbye.
      Defences are gettin wise to Torres now, if they mark him tight his first touch can let him down, but he's a kid and maybe I'm being to critical. But could you just imagine havin two strikers the quality of Torres!!?? f***in awesome.
      So come on Pepe do a good PR job on your mate Mr Villa.
      « Last Edit: Feb 26, 2008 08:01:28 am by neilh2105 »
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #11: Feb 26, 2008 07:43:42 am
       I am all for another striker as capable as Torres but I still think a good left winger to provide the ammo would be the icing on the cake.As other posters have mentioned its a question of available money,I believe that if money is available then RAFA would have no trouble attracting any player.You only have to listen what Torres has to say about RAFA to see the regard top players have for him.
      neilh2105
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,275 posts | 37 
      Reply #12: Feb 26, 2008 07:47:02 am
      3 more league goals and then Torres would of scored the same amount of league goals that Tevez & Rooney have scored between them :D
      I think when people talk about the front two of Man Utd, I think they are massively overrated.

Rooney - 8 league goals
      Tevez - 10 league goals

This is hardly anything to be proud of seeing all the hype they've got in the past! But could you imagine us with Torres & Villa in the same team? That would be just devastating, I know they play for Spain together but the manager is Aragonez who really is a terrible manager :D

I think Villa, Torres & Eto'o are probably the three best strikers in the world right now. Tevez & Rooney are good players but are massively overhyped and don't compare with others.

I know it's youtube but just watch the technique David Villa has...

He strikes me (excuse the pun) as a mixture between Torres and Rooney, he's extremely direct, one way street, gets the ball and he's goal bound immediately, and so f***in strong with it. There's also an added bonus of no bedding in period because of the experience they have to gether in the national side.
      Him and Torres have got to be the dream ticket, anyway great minds than mine are going to be applied to this one, so Mr Benitez please consider my wishes.
      Walk on
      IRWT
      solodee

• 6,036 posts | 147 
      • Liverpool FC All The Way
      Reply #13: Feb 26, 2008 07:48:52 am
      Torres' third goal against Midd. was just so brilliant. Imagine if we had another Striker like him. Brilliant. i'm all for Villa or Eto'o. It will take the pressure of Torres a bit.
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #14: Feb 26, 2008 08:01:20 am
      Torres' third goal against Midd. was just so brilliant. Imagine if we had another Striker like him. Brilliant. I'm all for Villa or Eto'o. It will take the pressure of Torres a bit.
        I thought his second goal was the best-world class.
      southafrican_red
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 356 posts |
      • With hope in your heart...
      Reply #15: Feb 26, 2008 08:03:45 am
      Torres' third goal against Midd. was just so brilliant. Imagine if we had another Striker like him. Brilliant. i'm all for Villa or Eto'o. It will take the pressure of Torres a bit.

I don't think we can afford any of those two...so I hope we can be able to unearth a gem somewhere in the smaller leagues of europe/south america/africa. There are a lot of quality players who don't come with thick price tags.
      solodee

• 6,036 posts | 147 
      • Liverpool FC All The Way
      Reply #16: Feb 26, 2008 08:09:11 am
        I thought his second goal was the best-world class.

The second goal was a world class strike! yeah, but the third looked so easy the way he executed it with the keeper and the defender on him, with him, and he just made a turn and put the ball past them into the empty goal post. Good
      Presco
      • Forum Avi Cohen

• 26 posts | -3 
      Reply #17: Feb 26, 2008 08:26:49 am
      Do you think getting another world class striker will solve most of our problems.
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #18: Feb 26, 2008 08:40:34 am
      The second goal was a world class strike! yeah, but the third looked so easy the way he executed it with the keeper and the defender on him, with him, and he just made a turn and put the ball past them into the empty goal post. Good
      all goals are good as long as it is us who are doing the scoring.I take your point though ,It was pressure from Torres that made them panic and he did do a good job finishing it off.
      Venom-C
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 806 posts |
      Reply #19: Feb 26, 2008 08:42:12 am
      Do you think getting another world class striker will solve most of our problems.

It'll solve the main problem on the pitch definitley.
      sjkreds
      • Forum Jason McAteer

• 142 posts |
      • Reincarnation anyone?
      Reply #20: Feb 26, 2008 09:02:19 am
      I don't think we can afford any of those two...so I hope we can be able to unearth a gem somewhere in the smaller leagues of europe/south america/africa. There are a lot of quality players who don't come with thick price tags.

There are clubs out there who would easily pay over 30 million quid for villa, can we really afford him? ( lets see to quote another member of this forum, if it will be two pricks or one dic, in control of the coffers next season first).
      As for eto'o, he probally wouldnt cost as much and form a great partnership with torres, so he'd be a great  signing.
      But you are talking about buying players from Barcelona and Valencia, and this isnt easy to do, unless they want to let them go, and on recent form it wont be eto'o they let go at Barca.
      I'd still say huntelaar would be the right player with right price tag. some people are claiming he's some kind of pippo inzaghi ish poacher, but anyone who watches the eriedivisie requarly will know this man is pure quality, he can put the ball in the net from anywhere, he has 18 goals this season, got 33 in 31 games last season, and has a career record of more then a goal every two games, and still only 24.
      He is a true tallisman for ajax, and I think we could pick him up for possibly under 20, with juve being the only big club to have shown interest recently.

As for a winger, well I'd like to see someone who is maybe not an out an out winger, but a really creative midfiled player, and at the moment i reckon there are three players at medium sized clubs, who are attainable:

Diego of Weder Bremen
      Rafael Van Der Vaart of Hamburg SV
      Samir Nasri of Marseille
      Mancini of Roma

I would love to see quaresema but he just extended his contract at FC Porto, so he would cost a packet.
      The other player I like is Jesus  Navas of sevilla, brillian pace crossing and trickery and even dani alves the sevilla RB ( who IMO is the best RB in Europe at the moment) and would be brilliant anywhere down the right flank.

If the money was mine:

Huntelaar   Torres

babel   Masherano  Gerrard   diego

Aurellio   Carra   Agger       Alves

Reina

« Last Edit: Feb 26, 2008 01:40:41 pm by sjkreds »
      paulrobbo

• 6,875 posts | 106 
      • We are the Mods!
      Reply #21: Feb 26, 2008 09:21:01 am
      Villa has stated recently that he's dream't of a move to England (can't remember the source though, think it was on Sky Sports). Is he worth blowing our whole summer budget? Well Benayoun has been great so far this season, Pennant isn't doing too badly, Babel looks quality. Why not?

Rafa could also get Pepe, Nando, Alonso and Alvaro on his case this summer.
      « Last Edit: Feb 26, 2008 09:27:09 am by paulrobbo »
      EddieC

• 5,557 posts | 233 
      Reply #22: Feb 26, 2008 10:33:22 am
      If the money was mine:

Huntelaar   Torres

babel   Masherano  Gerrard  Pennant  diego

Aurellio   Carra   Agger       Alves

Reina

Ah, the old 4-5-2 formation, I have to say I agree with you we'd probably win most games setup like that, but would the FA allow us to field 12 players?

:rasp: :rasp: :rasp:

Quick Reply