Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Wolves [Premier League] Sun 19th May @ 4:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 15th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P13 W6 D5 L2

The huge Anfield problem

Read 311769 times
      Semple
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 7,854 posts | 149 
      • Ireland's Finest Scouser. Henderson supporter.
      Re: The huge Anfield problem
      Reply #1863: Jan 03, 2014 12:29:11 pm
      I've said it before and I'll keep saying it ...
      1, Ticket allocation should be offered to more localised supporters, say 60%

Not doubting what you say mate, just trying to clarify what you mean. Do you mean locals, as in just Scousers, or do you mean anyone who lives in the local Merseyside area? I am Irish but living in Liverpool for a number of years so where would I come in to this picture?

Like I said, not doubting what you've said but it's not something I can ever see happening. Never mind the marketing elements, but there are loads who come for games every week from all over the place. Just look at Cas (MsG) who travels hundreds of miles each week for games. Should they be limited more as they aren't local? Just to clarify, I am all for allowing locals in. The club survives because of the pride they have for the team but I just don't think it is practical.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,964 posts | 5020 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #1864: Jan 03, 2014 12:52:06 pm
      Not doubting what you say mate, just trying to clarify what you mean. Do you mean locals, as in just Scousers, or do you mean anyone who lives in the local Merseyside area? I am Irish but living in Liverpool for a number of years so where would I come in to this picture?

Like I said, not doubting what you've said but it's not something I can ever see happening. Never mind the marketing elements, but there are loads who come for games every week from all over the place. Just look at Cas (MsG) who travels hundreds of miles each week for games. Should they be limited more as they aren't local? Just to clarify, I am all for allowing locals in. The club survives because of the pride they have for the team but I just don't think it is practical.
      I suppose I mean those who live in the locale mate, you can't exclude non scouse folk, I'm a Scot but don't live on merseyside, I would rather a ticket go to those who to be fair would visit Anfield more than I would be able to, day trippers do not get the feel of being local, therefore their passion is slightly diluted , only my opinion of course,

Edit ; it's a difficult situation trying to please everyone, I can see where your coming from as in regards to regular travellers such as Cas, I'm no way saying we should not allow those stalwarts to have tickets,they are well established travelling fans it's the fly by night once a season type fans who should miss out if any.

YNWA
      ORCHARD RED

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #1865: Jan 03, 2014 12:59:43 pm
      I'd be very surprised if the majority of people weren't Scouse anyway, so I don't think even making it a Scouse only zone would make much difference.

Free beer is what's needed :-) A six pack free with every ticket!
      PaulKG
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 597 posts | 20 
      Reply #1866: Jan 03, 2014 01:09:05 pm
      Difficult to say really, Id be all up for the scouser only zones etc. but realistically thats just never going to happen. Controversially I would be up for standing 'sections' not all round the ground, already happens in 305 anyway.

Me personally, I think the champions league football will bring us back to where we belong and hopefully Anfield can go back to the way it was just a few years ago
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,964 posts | 5020 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #1867: Jan 03, 2014 01:16:06 pm
      I'd be very surprised if the majority of people weren't Scouse anyway, so I don't think even making it a Scouse only zone would make much difference.

Free beer is what's needed :-) A six pack free with every ticket!

Ha,  sponsored by Carlsberg no doubt CAN (pardon the pun) you imagine the queue's ?
      Odd Job
      • Banned

• 2,112 posts | 49 
      • Luis Suarez could nutmeg a mermaid
      Reply #1868: Jan 03, 2014 01:55:37 pm
      Scousers and those who live in the city who regularly attend games are being priced out of games, tickets are being touted by daytrippers, Americans(no offense) and tourists in all fairness. I went to West Brom at home this season in the Kop, heard the odd Scouser, the rest were out of towners compared to West Ham away back in 08/09 when Torres scored the winner it was mainly Scousers.

Tickets should be given on loyalty and the atmosphere would be x10 better.
      Odd Job
      • Banned

• 2,112 posts | 49 
      Reply #1869: Jan 03, 2014 02:07:17 pm

The Irish have been coming to Anfield since the club was formed, I agree with more localized but not just Scousers but also Irish, Scots, Welsh and others in the country who attend games regularly, who are passionate. Tickets should just be given on a loyalty type system let's say, attend a certain number of games. I don't agree with a Scouse only section, but I'm defiantly in favour of a standing, singing section like the Green Brigade at Celtic if they still have that section and the likes of the Holmesdale Fanatics at Crystal Palace. Can't see it happening though.
      AlexLFC95
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,393 posts | 56 
      Reply #1870: Jan 03, 2014 02:08:43 pm
      They are given on loyalty already, people with a certain number of games on their card get earlier access to tickets than others.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,400 posts | 6407 
      Reply #1871: Jan 03, 2014 02:25:49 pm

2, controversial I know but we need to get back to standing terracing, all seater stadia has killed the atmosphere at football grounds, no doubt about that at all.

3 mobile phones should be switched off and anyone caught using theirs during either halves should be shamed  & embarrassed by flashing their faces on the big screens, and made to feel very very lonely indeed by fellow supporters around them,

If you want to take pics get in early and take them while players are warming up , we need to create a culture where it's taboo to use your phone at such events , a bit like anti-smoking has done, it's socially unacceptable

4, Ticket prices are way to high for your average joe, the powers that be are slowly turning a once proud working class occasion into a prawn sandwich brigade day trip with the chance seeing your ugly mug on tv,
       give back our sport where it's a pie & bovril, preceded by several jars of ale, followed by more ale after the 90, where u can either cry into your beer or rejoice by belting out all the songs of your club , sing yourself hoarse then go home and puke all over the dog ,(she would be f***in livid)the dog wisnae to happy either, happy happy days.

YNWA

Sounds about right to me. I don't know if I'll ever get to travel the pond to see a game at Anfield but if I do get the chance.... 1) I would have an expectation that it would be hard to get tickets, especially being non-local and 2) I would want the atmosphere to be what it's supposed to be..and if that means making it harder for foreigners like me to get tickets and easier for locals to attend...so be it.
      Semple

• 7,854 posts | 149 
      • Ireland's Finest Scouser. Henderson supporter.
      Reply #1872: Jan 03, 2014 02:53:08 pm
      I suppose I mean those who live in the locale mate, you can't exclude non scouse folk, I'm a Scot but don't live on merseyside, I would rather a ticket go to those who to be fair would visit Anfield more than I would be able to, day trippers do not get the feel of being local, therefore their passion is slightly diluted , only my opinion of course,

Edit ; it's a difficult situation trying to please everyone, I can see where your coming from as in regards to regular travellers such as Cas, I'm no way saying we should not allow those stalwarts to have tickets,they are well established travelling fans it's the fly by night once a season type fans who should miss out if any.

YNWA

Some good points mate, know what you are talking about.
      little-Luis:)

• 7,844 posts | 179 
      Reply #1873: Jan 03, 2014 03:10:02 pm
      Didn't a lot of STH give up their tickets under H&G? I'd say that whole period, especially that 10/11 season & the time later with Hodgson drove some lads away.

I reckon slowly, with the team doing well now under Rodgers and attacking footballing coming back to Anfield, it might drive the demand up again and lads who want to be there the most getting in.

EDIT: I mean lads, as in people! Colloquialism.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,482 posts | 3436 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #1874: Jan 03, 2014 03:50:10 pm
      Perhaps we should try the sort of citizenship tests, and you're only allowed in if you pass the necessary results, questions could include can you sing the Duncan Ferguson/tampon song, any verse of poor scouser tommy etc
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,327 posts | 2856 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #1875: Jan 03, 2014 07:19:45 pm
      Perhaps we should try the sort of citizenship tests, and you're only allowed in if you pass the necessary results, questions could include can you sing the Duncan Ferguson/tampon song, any verse of poor scouser tommy etc

no wouldn't work ok you'd get a few who wouldn't have a clue what your on about but then you'd have the ones who know the songs but wont sing them so they'd pass your test but then go dumb once inside
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,844 posts | 6785 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #1876: Jan 03, 2014 09:51:41 pm
      Something needs to be done, I'm sick of hearing every home game, Anfields a Library...does my F***ing nut in.  :mad: :mad: :mad:
      Alfie2510
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,572 posts | 351 
      Reply #1877: Jan 03, 2014 10:03:38 pm
      We need a designated singing section like celtics green brigade
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,844 posts | 6785 
      Reply #1878: Jan 03, 2014 10:12:21 pm
      We need a designated singing section like celtics green brigade

No mate, we need everyone who is lucky and fortunate enough to get a ticket knowing the words to the songs, start singing their lungs out and stop taking photos when the game is on.
      Alfie2510
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,572 posts | 351 
      Reply #1879: Jan 03, 2014 10:19:51 pm
      No mate, we need everyone who is lucky and fortunate enough to get a ticket knowing the words to the songs, start singing their lungs out and stop taking photos when the game is on.

Never going to happen

The profile of people going to games has completely changed in the PL era and hence so has the atmosphere they generate.

To a lot of people going to anfield is like a pilgrimidge you might only do a handful of times in a lifetime and it is understandable that those kind of supporters either can't get involved in singing because they're not familiar enough with words or they prefer just to absorb the atmosphere around them than contribute to it

The club is partly responsible as well because the pricing structure alienates a lot of the category of fans who in the past would have been most vocal (ie - under 25s)
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,844 posts | 6785 
      Reply #1880: Jan 03, 2014 10:26:13 pm
      Never going to happen

The profile of people going to games has completely changed in the PL era and hence so has the atmosphere they generate.

To a lot of people going to anfield is like a pilgrimidge you might only do a handful of times in a lifetime and it is understandable that those kind of supporters either can't get involved in singing because they're not familiar enough with words or they prefer just to absorb the atmosphere around them than contribute to it

The club is partly responsible as well because the pricing structure alienates a lot of the category of fans who in the past would have been most vocal (ie - under 25s)

Oh, I know it's never going to happen mate...wishful thinking on my behalf. Must say when I travelled to Anfield ( I live in Australia, you might have got that from my username  ;) ), I made it a point to learn every word of every song, sung my lungs out, didn't take a photo during the match and left with no voice. A special day that was.
      Alfie2510
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,572 posts | 351 
      Reply #1881: Jan 03, 2014 10:29:07 pm
      Oh, I know it's never going to happen mate...wishful thinking on my behalf. Must say when I travelled to Anfield ( I live in Australia, you might have got that from my username  ;) ), I made it a point to learn every word of every song, sung my lungs out, didn't take a photo during the match and left with no voice. A special day that was.

Lucky you I've not been to anfield yet :-(

I echo your sentiments but it's an Individuals choice how he/she conducts themselves on match day as I said feel the club could do something to stimulate a better atmosphere
      Odd Job
      • Banned

• 2,112 posts | 49 
      Reply #1882: Jan 03, 2014 10:30:20 pm
      When you look at fans across Europe(Dortmund, Red Star Belgrade, Poznan, Besiktas and Celtic) just a few for example make English fans look like amateurs.
      Alfie2510
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,572 posts | 351 
      Reply #1883: Jan 03, 2014 10:35:32 pm
      When you look at fans across Europe(Dortmund, Red Star Belgrade, Poznan, Besiktas and Celtic) just a few for example make English fans look like amateurs.

True but at Dortmund for instance look at the price of a ticket there and it explains a lot

I read a study recently and sorry I can't remember exactly but I'm sure the average age of a PL fan just now is about 40
      Not saying people at 40 can't generate an atmosphere but stands to reason your average 20 something is going to be more raucous than your average 40 something

Also there is the seating/standing debate
      Odd Job
      • Banned

• 2,112 posts | 49 
      Reply #1884: Jan 03, 2014 10:37:56 pm
      True but at Dortmund for instance look at the price of a ticket there and it explains a lot

I read a study recently and sorry I can't remember exactly but I'm sure the average age of a PL fan just now is about 40
      Not saying people at 40 can't generate an atmosphere but stands to reason your average 20 something is going to be more raucous than your average 40 something

Also there is the seating/standing debate

I'm in favour of a standing singing section and most other Liverpool fans are aswell but Anfield has been seen were all supporters take part not just one particular section, the whole of Anfield used to be rocking but if it is a start in bring back the atmosphere then so be it.
      ORCHARD RED

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #1885: Jan 03, 2014 11:56:44 pm
      A special singing and standing section is the way forward IMO
       Its more likely people will join in a song or chant when its loud and they don't have to feel embarrassed.

Even if no one else joined in, at least there would be an atmosphere for the players to use as motivation.

Quick Reply