Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Wolves [Premier League] Sun 19th May @ 4:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 16th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P16 W12 D1 L3

Arsenal v Liverpool - pre match

Read 34955 times
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,452 posts | 2846 
      Re: Arsenal v Liverpool - pre match
      Reply #115: Dec 19, 2008 10:37:42 pm
      Nasri's back so Arbeloa has to be careful too.
      Vedder
      • Forum Vladimir Smicer

• 186 posts | -6 
      • Olivavu
      Reply #116: Dec 19, 2008 10:37:42 pm
      And who's going to go upfront then?

Look above at the formation I've posted.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,452 posts | 2846 
      Reply #117: Dec 19, 2008 10:38:33 pm
      Look above at the formation I've posted.

Sorry mate, don't agree with that. Kuyt was dreadful up top on his own against Hull.
      Vedder
      • Forum Vladimir Smicer

• 186 posts | -6 
      • Olivavu
      Reply #118: Dec 19, 2008 10:48:15 pm
      Sorry mate, don't agree with that. Kuyt was dreadful up top on his own against Hull.

He was, but Rafa loves him and hasn't even bought Keane on as a sub...so the smart money should be on the Dutchman to be the lone striker.

I can't see it being Babel or N'Gog.
      The Kopite91
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,654 posts | 246 
      Reply #119: Dec 19, 2008 10:57:32 pm

I agree. He was very nervous as a lone striker. When he got the ball he looked up for someone, seen he was on his own and panicked. Rafa will definitely start Kuyt but I think it will be a RW. At least with Keane as a lone striker he can hold the ball up for Gerrard and Kuyt (if he plays on RW he tends to cut-in to support in the final third). I think both Kuyt and Keane need strike partners but Kuyt just panic's when he's left on his own and makes a poor decision. I think if Keane starts as a lone striker then Alonso needs to play. He and Gerrard can work the ball up the pitch and control the mid field then Alonso can give that precise pass on the ground to Keane. This is important as Keane prefers to have the ball played into his feet, he struggles with high balls. I'm sticking with the same formation and starting XI as I said earlier.
      Vedder
      • Forum Vladimir Smicer

• 186 posts | -6 
      • Olivavu
      Reply #120: Dec 19, 2008 11:01:04 pm
      So if Keane is going to start this one, why hasn't he even got on the field in the last two Premiership games?
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,452 posts | 2846 
      Reply #121: Dec 19, 2008 11:03:03 pm
      So if Keane is going to start this one, why hasn't he even got on the field in the last two Premiership games?

He lost his confidence so the PSV and some good work on the training ground is rebuilding that confidence so he can reture against Arsenal.
      Vedder
      • Forum Vladimir Smicer

• 186 posts | -6 
      • Olivavu
      Reply #122: Dec 19, 2008 11:04:30 pm
      He lost his confidence so the PSV and some good work on the training ground is rebuilding that confidence so he can reture against Arsenal.

Wishful thinking.

Benitez has shown practically no faith in him when we've faced the woeful Blackburn and overperforming Hull...he didn't feature whatsoever.

No indication that Keane will even get on the field on Sunday letalone start.

Wouldn't surprise me though, this is Benitez we're dealing with after all...
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,452 posts | 2846 
      Reply #123: Dec 19, 2008 11:08:22 pm
      Maybe he won't play, all I'm saying is I'd like to see him play.
      Vedder
      • Forum Vladimir Smicer

• 186 posts | -6 
      • Olivavu
      Reply #124: Dec 19, 2008 11:09:32 pm
      Maybe he won't play, all I'm saying is I'd like to see him play.

That's fair enough mate.

I wouldn't mind seeing him given a chance off the bench, but I don't think I'd start him in a game this crucial...which is probably Rafa's thinking as well.
      Reslivo
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,490 posts | 521 
      Reply #125: Dec 19, 2008 11:22:46 pm

4-4-2:

Reina
      Arbeloa - Carra - Agger - FA/EI
      Babel - Gerrard - Masch - Riera
      Kuyt - Keane

4-2-3-1:

Same back five,
      Masch - Xabi
      Kuyt - Gerrard - Riera
      Keane

It's what is going to happen.
      Vedder
      • Forum Vladimir Smicer

• 186 posts | -6 
      • Olivavu
      Reply #126: Dec 19, 2008 11:30:42 pm
      Why are people so certain Keane will start?

We've scored five goals in the last two Premiership games - without him.

Oh, and there's absolutely no chance Insua will play any part in this game.
      « Last Edit: Dec 20, 2008 12:26:50 am by Venison 86 »
      Reslivo
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,490 posts | 521 
      Reply #127: Dec 19, 2008 11:39:03 pm
      Why are people so certain Keane will start?

We've scored five goals in the last two Premiership games - without him.

He has a good record against Arsenal, and Rafa always tends to play him when you least expect it.

I think he'll make the bench at the very least. I'm certain Rafa will have jotted down the fact that Dossena was piss poor against Hull last weekend, and as Aurélio is only just back from injury what chance do you think he'll have?
      robbyr
      • The king of randomness and highly intellectual debate
      • Banned

• 2,684 posts | 27 
      Reply #128: Dec 20, 2008 12:26:35 am
      4-4-2:

Reina
      Arbeloa - Carra - Agger - FA/EI
      Babel - Gerrard - Masch - Riera
      Kuyt - Keane

4-2-3-1:

Same back five,
      Masch - Xabi
      Kuyt - Gerrard - Riera
      Keane

It's what is going to happen.

that 442 will do for me , we will need tall defenders for our corners though, maybe hyppia will get in becase agger has problems building up
      ayrton77
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,775 posts | 627 
      • © Established Quality Since 1977
      Reply #129: Dec 20, 2008 05:43:10 am
      Liverpool (from): Reina, Arbeloa, Carragher, Agger, Dossena, Aurelio, Babel, Benayoun, Gerrard, Mascherano, Lucas, Alonso, Riera, Kuyt, Keane, Ngog, Cavalieri, Insua, El Zhar.

Rafa Benitez is amongst us! ;) Or at least, you must be to make such comments. :D

Your entitled to your opinion, but he isn't injured so is available for selection, or to be brought on as a sub.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,846 posts | 6785 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #130: Dec 20, 2008 08:29:42 am
      He has a good record against Arsenal, and Rafa always tends to play him when you least expect it.

Spot on Reslivo, didn't know this myself but was reading one of the newsfeeds on here and it said:

Tactical battle

Benitez could decide to recall Robbie Keane against Arsenal, but given that he failed to bring him on against Hull, that suggests the Irishman may have to settle for a place on the bench again and that will suit Arsenal – Keane has scored against the Gunners, for Spurs, in four of the previous five seasons.

I was hoping myself, that Babel would start up top in this game but I remember Robbie had a similar record against WBA in previous seasons. He started against them and scored 2. Sometimes players just like playing against a certain opposition.

Looks like this is the case for Robbie, hope he can deliver again.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,452 posts | 2846 
      Reply #131: Dec 20, 2008 10:19:33 am
      I think he'll make the bench at the very least. I'm certain Rafa will have jotted down the fact that Dossena was piss poor against Hull last weekend, and as Aurélio is only just back from injury what chance do you think he'll have?

He'll either be on starting or on the bench like you said. Dossena was out of position way to often and even if Arsenal are not playing like they can do, they will still take advantage if Dossena plays. It would be intresting to see how Insua copes if he plays. If he nails it, then we may see the beginning of a very good left back.
      ayrton77
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,775 posts | 627 
      • © Established Quality Since 1977
      Reply #132: Dec 20, 2008 10:25:30 am
      He'll either be on starting or on the bench like you said. Dossena was out of position way to often and even if Arsenal are not playing like they can do, they will still take advantage if Dossena plays. It would be intresting to see how Insua copes if he plays. If he nails it, then we may see the beginning of a very good left back.

My feelings exactly! Dossena has been way off form, and Rafa has been punishing that this season more often than not - Robbie Keane being the perfect example. Rafa isn't afraid to bench anyone, so I hope that Doss won't be starting.

Aurelio is just back from injury, and I think such a big match could be too much to return to. I do hope Insua starts, it would be the best option for many reasons: showing the other left-backs they have competition, he has better form than Dossena, and it would be a good test of his true potential.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,452 posts | 2846 
      Reply #133: Dec 20, 2008 10:36:57 am
      I don't think Babel will start if Keane starts. Rafa will prefer to play Riera and Kuyt on the wings and I really can't see Rafa changing from the 4-2-3-1 to a 4-4-2 so Babel and Keane can go upfront.

I know Keane isn't a natural lone striker and and I know he isn't in any sort of form and I know he hasn't played in the last two games but the fact of the matter is big players deliver the goods in big matches. For that reason I'll stick him up top on his own.
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #134: Dec 20, 2008 10:39:17 am
                                                           Reina

Arbeloa                           Agger                    Carra                     Insua

Mash                          Alonso

Kuyt                                             Gerrard                              Reira

Keane

I dont like Keane but if i remember, he does has a habit of scoring in big games, so i'd give him a chance
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,452 posts | 2846 
      Reply #135: Dec 20, 2008 10:41:13 am
      I dont like Keane but if I remember, he does has a habit of scoring in big games, so I'd give him a chance

Exactly what I said. He'll go out there with a point to prove and just because he's made a slow start to his Liverpool career doesn't take away the fact that he is a very very good player.
      chrislfc22
      • Forum Graeme Souness

• 372 posts | -6 
      Reply #136: Dec 20, 2008 11:14:17 am
      My team tomorrow would be

REINA

ARBELOA     CARRAGHER     AGGER     AURELIO

KUYT     MASCHERANO     ALONSO     BABEL

GERRARD 
                                     KEANE   

Arsenal will be up for this one and have something to prove at home against another big team, but it will be a 2-1 WIN, Keane and Kuyt!! COME ON YOU MIGHTY REDS!!!!              

The Kopite91
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,654 posts | 246 
      Reply #137: Dec 20, 2008 11:37:58 am
      I know its something that always gets thrown out there bu for this game what about Agger at LB? I like Insua but i worry about his experience. Dossena is too inconsistent, after his poor performance against Hull last week he could play a blinder against Arsenal. But thats a risk we can't afford to take with the way Arsenal play on the wings. Agger just brings more experience, he likes to go forward so the LB role would give him the freedom he doesn't get at centre half. I'm not saying make him our permanent Lb, just against Arsenal to keep a level head. Hyppia needs to start because if we win a corner he is the man to aim for. Great header of the ball. With the way Arsenal defend high balls a Sami Hyppia header could clinch this for us!

Quick Reply