Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 23rd of May and on this date LFC's match record is P9 W4 D1 L4

Xabi Alonso (Real "we can tap up anybody" Madrid)

Read 254847 times
      Eem
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,018 posts | 89 
      Re: Xabi Alonso (Real Madrid, Barcelona, Juventus)
      Reply #46: May 13, 2009 02:13:52 pm
      Seconded.

Our best player this year, next to Stevie.

Thirded, so to speak.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #47: May 13, 2009 02:18:51 pm
      Rafa said he doesnt want to sell, Xabi said he doesnt want to leave. Do the math, sh*t rags!
      johnstop
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,745 posts | 23 
      Reply #48: May 13, 2009 03:09:07 pm
      NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO and NO again he is going nowhere.We look to strengthen our squad not dilute it. :f_steam: :f_steam:
      Beansie
      • Forum Graeme Souness

• 370 posts |
      Reply #49: May 13, 2009 03:24:55 pm
      He won't be going.

What disturbs me more is why Barca would rather have Fabregas than Xabi, when Xabi is clearly the better of the two?

Hmm, not sure he is mate.
      TNAwrestling
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 352 posts |
      • Cross The Line
      Reply #50: May 13, 2009 03:28:12 pm
      No need to sell xabi, rafa has alot more money to play with in the summer, xabi literally was going to go only to finance a move for gareth barry, who we can get now for round £6 million as his contract is up next season and O'Neill promised him he would let him go if Villa failed to reach the CL this season.
      Eem

• 6,018 posts | 89 
      Reply #51: May 13, 2009 03:39:49 pm

....Merely jesting, no?
      paulrobbo

• 6,875 posts | 106 
      • We are the Mods!
      Reply #52: May 13, 2009 04:29:29 pm

Xabi is a much better player than Fabregas at the moment.
      johnstop
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,745 posts | 23 
      Reply #53: May 13, 2009 04:36:40 pm
      Fabregas is overated and Xabi is now at the height of his game and will be for some years to come. Nobody sprays the ball around with such ease and vision as Xabi.
      Beansie
      • Forum Graeme Souness

• 370 posts |
      Reply #54: May 13, 2009 10:38:46 pm
      Alonso has had a very good season, but no way is better than Fabregas. IF they can be compared.

Fabregas can pass as well and has more going forward, better link play and can play through balls.
      Maybe Fabregas doesn't have the maturity to play Alonso's deep lying position but he has more all round.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,356 posts | 2877 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #55: May 13, 2009 10:41:27 pm
      Alonso has had a very good season, but no way is better than Fabregas. IF they be can compared.

Fabregas can pass as well and has more going forward, better link play and can play through balls.
      Maybe Fabregas doesn't have the maturity to play Alonso's deep lying position but he has more all round.

Xabi isnt hyped as much by Sky thats for sure. Also Xabi isnt a cheating horrible little c**t 
      Billo
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,710 posts | 896 
      Reply #56: May 13, 2009 11:24:59 pm
      Fabregas is very talented, indeed. But i wouldnt say he is better then Xabi,or the other way around. Xabi has longer passing range, Xabi's ability to take a shot at goal from set pieces, or open play are better.
      Beansie
      • Forum Graeme Souness

• 370 posts |
      Reply #57: May 13, 2009 11:29:57 pm
      Fabregas is very talented, indeed. But I wouldnt say he is better then Xabi,or the other way around. Xabi has longer passing range, Xabi's ability to take a shot at goal from set pieces, or open play are better.

Would say Fabregas has the better shot personally. For all Xabi's great passing ability he doesn't play enough through balls short range or from deep. He has the ability to do so but seems to have a mental block putting it in to practice.
      goldton
      • Forum Phil Thompson

• 490 posts | -10 
      • This is our year FOR SURE....
      Reply #58: May 13, 2009 11:33:17 pm
      Alonso is going NOWHERE he's been our second best player after Stevie this year for me

Also maybe I'm old fashioned but I find it hard to take anything off a website called talkaloadobull seriously

You took my words.

Alonso has been fantastic this season and we should never let him go.
      StevieIsStillGod
      • Forum Didi Hamann

• 288 posts | 10 
      Reply #59: May 13, 2009 11:33:31 pm
      http://talkaloadofbull.com/en/news/12/spain/2009/05/13/1262167/liverpool-prepared-to-sell-xabi-alonso-to-real-madrid-report

According to the article in that link,Rafa,George and Tom set down to discuss about Xabi's price? Sounds a little tall,but I would be terribly disappointed to see Xabi leave.He has been a great player for us ,and I think he is the only decent "creative" player we have ! Please dont sell him...Rafa.

I thought Benitez had final say over all incoming and outgoing transfers?

Unless Barca want a straight swap for Leo Messi, I doubt we've seen the last of Xabi.
      Reslivo
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,490 posts | 521 
      Reply #60: May 13, 2009 11:37:02 pm
      Barca have Xavi, they don't need Xabi.
      StevieIsStillGod
      • Forum Didi Hamann

• 288 posts | 10 
      Reply #61: May 13, 2009 11:40:32 pm
      Barca have Xavi, they don't need Xabi.

That could be a disaster of Euro 08 type proportions. Oh wait...
      LFC-4-LIFE07
      • On Trial

• 4 posts |
      Reply #62: May 14, 2009 11:02:24 am
      if Alonso goes we will have lost a top class player
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,356 posts | 2877 
      Reply #63: May 14, 2009 12:22:21 pm
      An actual quote in the press today from Xabi of all people saying he is going nowhere. Topic locked??
      linneman
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,426 posts | 16 
      Reply #64: May 15, 2009 03:38:08 pm
      can you share the article?
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #65: May 15, 2009 07:51:11 pm
      An actual quote in the press today from Xabi of all people saying he is going nowhere. Topic locked??

Yeah man! Link us up!
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,356 posts | 2877 
      Reply #66: May 15, 2009 09:45:53 pm

Sorry lads. Heres an article by the agent. See the part I've highlighted, I cant find that article Ill keep looking

Liverpool midfielder Xabi Alonso will remain at the club beyond the summer despite rumours linking him with Arsenal, Real Madrid and Manchester City, according to the player’s agent.

By Richard Bright
      Last Updated: 8:48AM BST 14 May 2009

Staying put: Xabi Alonso has no desire to leave Liverpool despite interest from Arsenal and Real Madrid Photo: GETTY IMAGES
      Alonso himself has also reiterated his desire to stay at Anfield for what would be his sixth season at the club.
      Arsenal made inquiries about Alonso last summer, when the Spaniard’s place came under threat from manager Rafa Benitez’s pursuit of Gareth Barry, but were put of by a prohibitive fee placed on his head.

Related Articles
      •   Liverpool owners are back in business
      •   The best of Gerrard
      •   Is Gerrard the new Ginola?
      •   Arsenal showdown looms
      •   Adebayor a Chelsea target
      •   Van Persie calls for team unity
      Despite Benitez listening for offers 12 months ago, Alonso has enjoyed an exceptional season with Liverpool and has been a regular starter, the player only missing last week’s victory over West Ham United following an injury suffered under a challenge from Joey Barton the week before.
      However, Villa’s failure to reach the Champions League places this season may reignite Benitez’s interest in Barry.
      With the Liverpool manager under instruction to fund much of his summer spending through player sales, a fee of around £14 million for Alonso would go along way towards financing changes.
      Both Arsenal and Real Madrid are watching developments closely, though Ignacio Ibanez, Alonso’s representative, insists there has been no direct approach concerning his client.
      I know nothing about these reports,” he said. “As Xabi has always said, he is happy at Liverpool and focused on them.”
      Those words back up an interview with Alonso in a club magazine recently in which the popular Spaniard, a £10.5 million acquisition from Real Sociedad in 2004, said: “I have been here for five seasons now and the time has flown by. I am now looking forward to my sixth season.”

Alonso’s excellence this season has been in partnership in a holding midfield role with Javier Mascherano in a 4-2-3-1 formation and the Argentine, too, has insisted he is eager to stay at the club, despite comments attributed to him saying he would be open to offers in the summer.

justice4the96
      • Forum Graeme Souness

• 360 posts |
      Reply #67: May 15, 2009 11:35:23 pm
      Xabi will not leave. If he does it will leave a massive gap and we will NOT be able to replace him with anyone as good.
      We would be taking a step backwards if we sold Xabi.

I agree mate would certainly be a step back to sell Xabi. He has been one of our outstanding performers this season. Great footballer and I think was a very shrewd piece of business by rafa to bring him here. He is now one of our must keep players for next seasons trophy charge. I think he and Mascha are fantastic with Stevie playing further forward and dominate the middle of the park. Alonso is going nowhere.
      CurlyRed
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 799 posts |
      Reply #68: May 15, 2009 11:46:33 pm
      I think i fwe want to read anything into the press speculation it's Xabi's agent trying leverage for contract talks    :mad:  ...who can blame him but we need him for the coming season along with another world class striker.  Just hope the owners either get the finances sorted or the club sold to a good benefactor  ;D

Quick Reply