Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 23rd of May and on this date LFC's match record is P9 W4 D1 L4

Confederations Cup 2009

Read 50484 times
      Shandaman
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 611 posts |
      Re: Confederations Cup 2009
      Reply #552: Jun 25, 2009 07:00:21 am
      Quite a frustrating game last night,Spain had so much possession,shots on target and yet they couldnt put the ball in the back of the net.Ramos,Pique and Puyol were shocking in defense.Iker was just as bad.2 shots 2 goals.Pepe should defiantly be the first choice keeper.At least there is one positive from this game,is that none of our boys were injured.
      redsonfire
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,660 posts | 111 
      • 96 Candles Burn Bright
      Reply #553: Jun 25, 2009 07:09:30 am
      Honestly I can see USA going on to win this tournament.  They were seemingly out heading into the last group game, and who would have thought they would have done Egypt 3-0? Then now Spain was gunning for another WR and it gets shot down by US again. The players are not of the quality to match the Spanish ones, but this just goes to show - good organization, good tactics and good preparation in place - anything can happen. It's a team game and quite rightly USA deserve to win because they played as a team, defended as one. Tactics by Bradley were spot on.

It also goes to show how determination and commitment can do wonders and anything, as long as you got your heart set onto it. The USA have no match for the Spanish but they've done it. They've worked together for it and without belief, without confidence, without their determination and commitment to the cause for 90 minutes they woulnd't have done so. It was a spirited team performance and even though they were heavy underdogs - but they pulled through for 90 minutes, played the game of their lives and beat Spain 2-0. No one in the world would have dreamed of that happening, especially after the first 2 games in the group stage. Not even the most optimistic USA fan.

I was left impressed with what the USA have done, they did the impossible. People can rant on about how much Spain dominated etc, but at the end of the day if you can't take your chances then you are quite rightly punished as well.

There is one more game before US make history - and I'm certain a few of the lads are going to go over the moon thinking they've accomplished everything they want in their lives in 1 day. But there's one more obstacle for them to get through and whoever that team may be, SA or Brazil, I do hope US do not end their hopes of winning something here - because they've worked so hard to get here.

And no, I'm not american.
      niksluvslfc
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,234 posts | 23 
      Reply #554: Jun 25, 2009 07:18:53 am
      WTF happened ...I have mixed feeling now really .. USA is my country of birth and if I should support any national team it should be them being US citizen . But it breaks my heart to see Nando and Xabi sad ...but now since Espana are out of the tournament I will be FULLY backing USA .Go USA ! Beat Brazil !
      Shandaman
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 611 posts |
      Reply #555: Jun 25, 2009 07:19:57 am
      WTF happened ...I have mixed feeling now really .. USA is my country of birth and if I should support any national team it should be them being US citizen . But it breaks my heart to see Nando and Xabi sad ...but now since Espana are out of the tournament I will be FULLY backing USA .Go USA ! Beat Brazil !
      Or South Africa.
      niksluvslfc
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,234 posts | 23 
      Reply #556: Jun 25, 2009 07:20:42 am
      Sorry mate ...or South Africa
      southafrican_red
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 356 posts |
      • With hope in your heart...
      Reply #557: Jun 25, 2009 09:55:08 am
      Guys - let's give credit where it's due...

The USA were deserving winners last night.
      They did the basics right. Defended well - took their chances...and managed to beat a strong team that was on a massive winning streak.

It's too early to start talking about lifting the World Cup - but I was impressed. They are making good progress and we shouldn't try to take that away from them. Well done USA!

I was disappointed cos I wanted La Furia Roja to destroy everything in their path but it wasn't meant to be.
      See you guys in 2010! Alonso didn't make a lot of friends though as a vocal vuvuzela-hater.

What are the chances of seeing another upset today? Close to ZERO - but I hope this result will motivate the South African boys to show character and really compete with the best. Brazil attack with so much pace - and our central defenders are really not mobile. I just hope if we get 2 chances- we'll bury them like the US did.

Go RSA!

RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,258 posts | 2856 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #558: Jun 25, 2009 11:55:37 am
      In work yesterday, so missed the game, but for the last 4 mins, WTF went on there. My Interest in this competition has wained.

Now a question, if this was, lets say 5 years ago, would we be following France with all the enthusiasm we have for Spain? Non!
      adammac
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,762 posts | 239 
      • Heart As Big As Liverpool
      Reply #559: Jun 25, 2009 02:43:51 pm
      Now a question, if this was, lets say 5 years ago, would we be following France with all the enthusiasm we have for Spain? Non!

I don't even think 3 years ago when Spain was in the World Cup Liverpool supporters claim them-selves to be adopted Spain fans, seems this really only happen after the Euro competition.

As for the game Spain played poor and USA played good which is what needed to happen if there was going to be a upset. Americans are a decent side but knowing a lot of the USMNT supporters they will expect these kinds of wins over traditional big powers all the time which isn't going to happen with the players they got right now.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,438 posts | 8656 
      Reply #560: Jun 25, 2009 03:57:20 pm
      I don't even think 3 years ago when Spain was in the World Cup Liverpool supporters claim them-selves to be adopted Spain fans, seems this really only happen after the Euro competition.

As for the game Spain played poor and USA played good which is what needed to happen if there was going to be a upset. Americans are a decent side but knowing a lot of the USMNT supporters they will expect these kinds of wins over traditional big powers all the time which isn't going to happen with the players they got right now.

Wrong some of us were rooting for Spain in 06.
      YANK_LFC_FAN
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,507 posts | 426 
      • Timid men prefer the calm of despotism!
      Reply #561: Jun 25, 2009 06:49:54 pm
      Yes you can compete with any other national team, of course. Theres 100+ nations, of course you can :P

However, don't even kid yourself you can compete with teams like Germany, England, Italy etc. Spain also, if you came up against them again next week they would win comfortably. Spain had control for 75% of todays game, and they were not even playing to their best.
      Im not trying to take it away from the US, its a big moment for them and I hope football grows in america, but there is alot, ALOT of improvement needed for a World cup run to come to any fruition. If you manage to beat Brazil in good fashion (im presuming brazil make the final, but anything can happen, obviously :P) then maybe ill change my thinking a little. But even then, it will just be one of those dream runs that happens. The reason Spain are still ten times better than the US team is because they have had an unbeaten run of 35matches in the toughest continent in world soccer.
      I said to someone earlier, a Yank too, that the only US player that really had a decent game for the full 90 was Howard. And he agreed.
      Comparing the US team to the other "Top Squads" as you said is an insult to those teams, because they are far superior.
      Im not trying to start an argument, I just couldn't beleive that you believed that.
      Why is so crazy to assume that they can compete against the top teams one day?  For whatever reason, it seems that a lot of the top goalies in the world are American.  The sport in America has gotten better and the Individual players on the National team are all world class players.  If their was a series of 10 matches in a row against Italy or Germany I can see the US winning 3-4 of those matches consistently.. It only takes one win, the teams dont play eachother 10 times in a row.

The gap between the US and the world has narrowed significantly in International Play.  Club Play is a different story. But the National team players are just as skilled as any other. When you get to those levels of play the competition comes down, scoring chances, gameplan and a little luck.  I think Englands National team are better than the US side, however the last 4 World Cups England weren't as dominate as they should of been for whatever factors. When you take the top 20 national teams, the talent level is relatively the same. The winners will be decided by the team that has the best chemistry on that given day.
      adammac
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,762 posts | 239 
      • Heart As Big As Liverpool
      Reply #562: Jun 25, 2009 07:40:48 pm
      Wrong some of us were rooting for Spain in 06.

Very few shown the sort of connection with the team as they show now from what I read and see over the boards. 

As for Yank_LFC_FAN I do agree with your point about the Americans closing down the gap in the last 10 years but there is still a ways to go before you start competing with the best to a point where you beat a big team and it isn't seem like such a huge upset.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #563: Jun 25, 2009 07:41:35 pm
      Well guess my Spain vs Brazil final is out the window.
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #564: Jun 25, 2009 07:57:01 pm
      Well guess my Spain vs Brazil final is out the window.

If South Africa knock Brazil out now, wont they play each other for third?
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #565: Jun 25, 2009 07:57:37 pm
      If South Africa knock Brazil out now, wont they play each other for third?

Yeah.
      Dmasta
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,895 posts | 553 
      Reply #566: Jun 25, 2009 07:58:52 pm
      Why is so crazy to assume that they can compete against the top teams one day?  For whatever reason, it seems that a lot of the top goalies in the world are American.  The sport in America has gotten better and the Individual players on the National team are all world class players.  If their was a series of 10 matches in a row against Italy or Germany I can see the US winning 3-4 of those matches consistently.. It only takes one win, the teams dont play eachother 10 times in a row.

The gap between the US and the world has narrowed significantly in International Play.  Club Play is a different story. But the National team players are just as skilled as any other. When you get to those levels of play the competition comes down, scoring chances, gameplan and a little luck.  I think Englands National team are better than the US side, however the last 4 World Cups England weren't as dominate as they should of been for whatever factors. When you take the top 20 national teams, the talent level is relatively the same. The winners will be decided by the team that has the best chemistry on that given day.
      I'd definately say the USA have improved you do have some quality players (even more if Rossi didn't F**k off and play for Italy). Altidore looks like he's gonna be a good player and seems to justify why Villareal payed $10 million U.S (a record fee for the mls if I'm not mistaken) and Donovan I'm very surprised he's not playing for a club in Europe.

Unfortunately like Australia you have to rely on one or two players to have a good performance if they can be kept quiet you really struggle which is something the top teams can deal with better they have more options on the field and strength in depth. With a population of 300 million I've got no doubt that if soccer was to become more popular in the states you could have a team ranked in the top 10 in a few years time and really compete with the best. Just at this stage the US lack strength in depth.
      Dmasta
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,895 posts | 553 
      Reply #567: Jun 25, 2009 08:01:28 pm
      BOOTH

:lmao: Everytime he gets the ball.
      « Last Edit: Jun 25, 2009 08:12:28 pm by Dmasta »
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #568: Jun 25, 2009 08:09:38 pm

There we go then!  ;D

Come on SA!!
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #569: Jun 25, 2009 08:10:46 pm
      There we go then!  ;D

Come on SA!!

3rd and 4th place match isnt quite the same as meeting in the final though :laugh:
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,258 posts | 2856 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #570: Jun 25, 2009 08:21:14 pm
      0-0 at H-T, Brazil seem to be in control, BUT SA are far from over whelmed.
      Dmasta
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,895 posts | 553 
      Reply #571: Jun 25, 2009 08:22:14 pm
      There we go then!  ;D

Come on SA!!
      I can't bring myself to go for a team with Pienaar in.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #572: Jun 25, 2009 08:22:18 pm
      SA have had a couple of great chances to go ahead but couldn't take them.
      YANK_LFC_FAN
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,507 posts | 426 
      • Timid men prefer the calm of despotism!
      Reply #573: Jun 25, 2009 08:27:18 pm
      I realize we have some ways to go before were a national powerhouse. We are not an "Equal" to Italy, France,England,Germany etc.. I dont claim that.

We would not beat these teams all the time.. However, in any tournament we have a shot of making the final. The odds are a lot higher against than the other teams mentioned.  We have some of the top tier players in the world. Its going to take a massive effort to go far in the World Cup. A much stronger effort than teams with more talent. But, we can compete with the best.

If we played England 15-20 years ago we would lose 4-0 5-1,6-2. We were outclassed and outperformed. Thats not true anymore. England would probably beat us 6 out 10 times but the scores would be a lot closer and England would need to play a lot better than 20 years ago. In a country which doesn't support the sport like everywhere else its hard.
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #574: Jun 25, 2009 08:30:13 pm
      3rd and 4th place match isnt quite the same as meeting in the final though :laugh:

You're a fussy bugger you.  ;)

I can't bring myself to go for a team with Pienaar in.

Excellent point there.

Come on Brazil! Break Pienaar's leg!

Quick Reply