Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 23rd of May and on this date LFC's match record is P9 W4 D1 L4

Yossi Benayoun (Barcelona)

Read 9169 times
      BigRed1978
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 2,874 posts | 51 
      • Y.N.W.A
      Yossi Benayoun (Barcelona)
      Jun 12, 2009 01:19:29 am
      I know Yossi is the subject of another thread but maybe the Mods can blend this one into it.

EXCLUSIVE: Barca risk Rafa's wrath by returning with bid for Liverpool's Yossi Benayoun

Barcelona boss Pep Guardiola is on collision course with Rafa Benitez after targeting a second Liverpool player in as many weeks.

Benitez reacted angrily when Guardiola's interest in Javier Mascherano was leaked to a local Catalan radio station in a move that appears to have unsettled the Liverpool midfielder.

Though stressing Mascherano will not be allowed to leave, and claiming the 25-year-old was happy at Anfield, Benitez was dismayed to hear claims from the Mascherano's agent that 'of course' he would be interested in a transfer to the Nou Camp.

Now Liverpool could struggle to hang on to Yossi Benayoun after reports in Israel that he has been the subject of an approach from the newly crowned European champions.

According to sources close to Benayoun, senior figures at Barcelona have contacted their Anfield counterparts and enquired about his availability and an asking price.

Benayoun crowned an impressive season for Liverpool with a late Champions League winner against Barcelona's arch-rivals Real Madrid at the Bernabeu, and his form has been noted by Guardiola, who believes his touch and vision would make him a useful addition to his Nou Camp squad.

But Benayoun's Liverpool future already appeared to be in the balance after he recently admitted receiving approaches from clubs at home and abroad.

Manchester City and his former club West Ham have been monitoring his impact on Liverpool's hunt for honours, while Atletico Madrid and Villarreal have also declared an interest.

It is understood that, at 29, he feels there is one more big pay day to come and that an offer of contract talks at Anfield would be enough to banish any thoughts of moving on.

Benayoun is halfway through a four-year deal, and Benitez must decide whether to reward his improved form, and end uncertainty over his future, by presenting him with the long-term deal he is looking for.

Speaking on Israeli radio last month, Benayoun said: 'This has been the best season of my career. I have played a lot of games and scored some important goals, and I am very happy with that.

'At the moment, I am a Liverpool player, and unless something surprising happens, I will remain one. But after such a good season, I have had some offers from England and Spain. You have to give that some consideration, so there will probably be some discussions with Liverpool.

'I have had a great two years at Anfield and enjoyed every minute. I have long since accepted that, with one or two notable exceptions, there is no such thing as an automatic choice at Liverpool.

'Unless you are Steven Gerrard, you are going to sit out one or two games, but that is no problem. Stevie is exceptional, and the rest of us accept that.

'The good thing is, I have been playing more, and I hope it continues that way. To be honest, it could be Real Madrid knocking on my door, and I would still rather stay at Liverpool four more years.'

Seems we have to be just as wary of Barca as well as Real.

I think Yossi will stay personally.
      Court LFC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,496 posts | 182 
      Re: Yossi Benayoun (Barcelona)
      Reply #1: Jun 12, 2009 01:27:26 am
      If the right offer comes in...

Then see ya.
      REDMAN
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,314 posts |
      Reply #2: Jun 12, 2009 01:28:21 am
      Its a big complement to Rafa that Barca and Madrid want to nick our players,personally i can't see Yossi leaving.
      Reslivo
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,490 posts | 521 
      Reply #3: Jun 12, 2009 01:39:21 am
      We need Yossi. If he can bring his latter form into next season, he'll be one of our key players without a doubt.

Stay.
      Reslivo
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,490 posts | 521 
      Reply #4: Jun 12, 2009 01:41:17 am
      Its a big complement to Rafa that Barca and Madrid want to nick our players,personally i can't see Yossi leaving.

Why is it a compliment?

I mean, I see where you're coming from but there's no bigger club than Liverpool.
      Court LFC

• 8,496 posts | 182 
      Reply #5: Jun 12, 2009 01:43:09 am
      Why is it a compliment?

I mean, I see where you're coming from but there's no bigger club than Liverpool.

Agreed.
      flafson
      • Forum Roger Hunt

• 497 posts |
      Reply #6: Jun 12, 2009 02:02:20 am
      Yossi wont leave, West Ham offered him more money than Liverpool before. It was his dream to play for Liverpool.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,882 posts | 6816 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #7: Jun 12, 2009 02:03:14 am
      Straight swap Yossi for Messi  ;)
      Reslivo
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,490 posts | 521 
      Reply #8: Jun 12, 2009 02:10:26 am

I'd still say no funnily enough.

I don't know why, but I've just got the feeling Yossi is going to be sensational this season.
      Court LFC

• 8,496 posts | 182 
      Reply #9: Jun 12, 2009 02:35:19 am

I don't know why, but I've just got the feeling Yossi is going to be sensational this season.

Do you want me to take back that +1? 

Cos' I will!  ;)
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #10: Jun 12, 2009 02:39:12 am
      When we bought Benny, can anyone honestly say in two years we would have to be fending off offers from clubs such as Real and Barca?
      What a pleasant surprise his value to us has been. Hoping this is nothing but usual summer talk.
      Reslivo
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,490 posts | 521 
      Reply #11: Jun 12, 2009 02:43:37 am
      Do you want me to take back that +1? 

Cos' I will!  ;)

Well, we don't know what Messi thinks of Liverpool for a start - we also don't know how he'd adapt to the English game, or if he would at all.

And even if he did, who's to say he'd be as good as he is in Spain?

As crazy as all that sounds, Yossi has proven that he can create something out of nothing, and his close-ball control is second-to-none.
      Court LFC

• 8,496 posts | 182 
      Reply #12: Jun 12, 2009 02:45:36 am
      Well, we don't know what Messi thinks of Liverpool for a start - we also don't know how he'd adapt to the English game, or if he would at all.

And even if he did, who's to say he'd be as good as he is in Spain?

As crazy as all that sounds, Yossi has proven that he can create something out of nothing, and his close-ball control is second-to-none.

You just keep pushing it.  :D
      Reslivo
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,490 posts | 521 
      Reply #13: Jun 12, 2009 02:47:48 am

I just think Yossi has alot more to his game - even more than he's shown recently, and I want to see that.
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #14: Jun 12, 2009 02:52:11 am
      I just think Yossi has alot more to his game - even more than he's shown recently, and I want to see that.

I agree, he was growing every week towards the end, I think barring injury he is going to keep growing the coming season.
      And i also think part of his beauty is that because opposition are often busy making sure Torres and Gerrard are closed down, he is allowed that extra little bit of room and he is too good a player to allow that- and he punishes :) Messi shmessi, I'd take Benny any day
      Court LFC

• 8,496 posts | 182 
      Reply #15: Jun 12, 2009 03:03:33 am

I'm warning you!
      Reslivo
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,490 posts | 521 
      Reply #16: Jun 12, 2009 03:07:29 am

Oh come on, I want to see the best of a player that plays for us - don't judge me too harshly ;)

Incidentally, I don't mean alot more to his game than Messi, I mean alot more in general.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,882 posts | 6816 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #17: Jun 12, 2009 04:23:42 am

Where'd you score from bud and how much is a pound?    :chongin:     :D
      niksluvslfc
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,234 posts | 23 
      Reply #18: Jun 12, 2009 04:25:56 am
      Yossi ha been vital to us at the latter part of the season and he can bring us a great spark of creativity and he has great ball control so I don't think we should sell he will be a very useful player in our title run-in next season . Really, what's everyone's problem can't they just lay off our players and not unsettle them ?  
      xBooniex
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,278 posts | 28 
      Reply #19: Jun 12, 2009 06:46:10 am
      I really hope he stays i think he has a massive future with us and this season he will bag 20+ goals
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #20: Jun 12, 2009 08:09:25 am
      If they offer something like 12-15 million, would be tough to say no for a 29 year old. But with Silva looking more and more everyday like he's going to stay, i wouldnt go through with it unless other targets are available, and by that i mean better players.

If he keeps his form up from last season, dont think i could give consent to transfer him, either. Hopefully that wasnt a flash in the pan and he keeps it up.

Yossi wont leave, West Ham offered him more money than Liverpool before. It was his dream to play for Liverpool.

It was his dream to play for us while he played at West Ham. Maybe if Barca come knocking then it'll be his dream to play for them. Money or not, if your at West Ham and Liverpool come for you then you'd say yes regardless.
      neilh2105
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,275 posts | 37 
      Reply #21: Jun 12, 2009 08:16:07 am
      I'll have a pint of what you've been drinkin  :o
      stevie92
      • Forum Vladimir Smicer

• 187 posts |
      Reply #22: Jun 12, 2009 10:34:34 am