Trending Topics

Next match: Betis v LFC [Friendly] Sat 27th Jul @ 12:30 am
      Acrisure Stadium

Today is the 15th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P1 W1 D0 L0

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Michael Owen - Should he stay or should he go?

Should he stay in jail with the barcodes?
      (56%)
      Or should we bail him out?
      (44%)

Michael Owen (Newcastle United)

Read 72715 times
      riise' boot boy
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 585 posts | 32 
      Re: Michael Owen returning to the reds
      Reply #69: Apr 16, 2007 08:29:44 pm
      yes we do
      gleno
      • Forum Erik Meijer

• 31 posts |
      Reply #70: Apr 16, 2007 08:35:47 pm
      He won the FA cup single handedly.........IN 2001, 6 YEARS AGO.
      We got the best out of Owen.Since he has left his career has steadily declined.
      How much is he going to cost? I cant imagine freddie shepard letting him go for less than 12m or crouch.
      12m for an injury prone player in decline or 20m for villa,etto???? I know where my money is.
      crouchy deserves to stay.
      lester76
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,810 posts | 242 
      Reply #71: Apr 16, 2007 08:57:59 pm
      Hey lets give Incey some steroids, Redknapp new legs, Baros an idea where the goal is and then get Ged Houillier to give us a crap playing style....yeah Owen is not the way forward....great player, veru grateful but too late..
      batman0077
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 564 posts |
      Reply #72: Apr 17, 2007 01:41:51 pm
      i heard that he was taken off in a newcastle reserve game. pretty sad if you ask me.  :laughing-smiley-014:
      steven_gerrard_fan
      • Forum Youth Player

• 14 posts |
      Reply #73: Apr 17, 2007 02:01:54 pm
      Michael Owen Is...
      1. Way past his prime
      2. Injury prone
      3. Not worth the money
      4. BETTER THAN MOST OF THE RED'S STRIKERS STILL!!!

(I still don't think he should come back though)
      CanadianREDS
      • Forum Youth Player

• 7 posts |
      Reply #74: Apr 18, 2007 04:56:52 am
      Michael Owen is a quality forward but is plagued by injuries, i dont c him returning to Liverpool, Crouch has good roots here.
      hound
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 336 posts | -2 
      Reply #75: Apr 19, 2007 12:49:51 pm
      PLEASE CAN WE BIN THIS TOPIC.

No return for Michael as a player I'm affraid . . . . .
      batman0077
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 564 posts |
      Reply #76: Apr 19, 2007 01:26:25 pm

very much agreed. none of us really want him back, and he can't survive one reserve team game. he's too old and no one really needs him. let it go...
      Lea
      • Forum Markus Babbel

• 79 posts |
      Reply #77: Apr 19, 2007 02:06:47 pm
      we shouldn`t forget what he`s done when he was at Liverpool... sure he was a great player then and we haven`t found anyone yet who scores as much goals as he did for the club . But in my opinion, Michael is history and we can look out for better strikers
      bobbins
      • Forum Matt Busby

• 127 posts |
      Reply #78: Apr 19, 2007 02:20:34 pm
      My 1st post so hello everybody, i have to agree with most people on here, i wouldn't be too happy if michael owen comes back, he went to seek pastures new when rafa turned up and won chuff all, and in his absence we win the european cup, that must've hurt him, i also can't see rafa wanting him back either.
      batman0077
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 564 posts |
      Reply #79: Apr 19, 2007 02:28:35 pm
      My 1st post so hello everybody, I have to agree with most people on here, I wouldn't be too happy if michael owen comes back, he went to seek pastures new when rafa turned up and won chuff all, and in his absence we win the european cup, that must've hurt him, I also can't see rafa wanting him back either.

welcome bobbins.
       :welcome: :scarf: :ernaehrung004:
      bobbins
      • Forum Matt Busby

• 127 posts |
      Reply #80: Apr 19, 2007 02:36:01 pm
      Thanks for making me feel welcome.
      Jabba
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,375 posts |
      Reply #81: Apr 19, 2007 06:02:36 pm

Even though most of us fans appear not to want him the fact remains Benitez WAS interested in his return to Anfield.  I find it unlikely that the board would have co-erced him in to such a decision.

AND also Michael Owen does appear to have a release clause in his contract.

This topic actually has a bit more weight than a lot of people we are linked with.
      hound
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 336 posts | -2 
      Reply #82: Apr 19, 2007 09:11:52 pm
      the only reason rafa would have been interested in him is that at the time players such as eto'o, villa etc were out of his reach, now he is in a position to buy some of the CURRENT top stars he will not be interested in buying a player he wasn't that bothered about loosing in the first place, trust me on this one !
      lstrex
      • Forum Youth Player

• 7 posts |
      Reply #83: Apr 19, 2007 09:53:54 pm
      can someone please tell me why everyone thinks hes not good anymore at real 16 goals without hardly any apperences at NEWCASTLE I repeat NEWCASTLE he scored 11 goals in 7 games it,d be hard to do that at one of the big four as alan hansen says every week when Liverpool dont win a game and when shearer isent next to him we need a striker like Micheal Owen personally id like to keep crouch but I think Owen-Kuyt or Owen-Bellamy whould be a gr8 combination and im sure he,ll show you all doubters against Reading hes a goalscorer and we shouldent have a go at him for leaving people make mistakes he learnt it the hard way when it comes down to it we,d be better for having him surely that,s what,s more important and by the way are any of you England fans as without him England don,t have any World class strikers so could you please respect him
      oh and ive heard that in tests hes been running faster then before
      « Last Edit: Apr 19, 2007 10:20:24 pm by lstrex »
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,517 posts | 8685 
      Reply #84: Apr 19, 2007 11:06:34 pm
      Said it before England do my nut in, Mcclaren's a joke, supporters are muppets, media go all crazy until it goes wrong then go mad for coaches head.

As for Owen, he might be running faster, but it is what happens on the field that matters, look at how badly he wanted to be at world cup but wasn't fit enough and we saw what happened against sweden, and that will happen again.

By the way I'm not a doubter, I said it before I loved him in the same I loved Fowler, great goalscorers - but their time has come and gone - and the only person who will decide if Owen comes back is Rafa - end of!
      RedWilly
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,223 posts | 1646 
      Reply #85: Apr 20, 2007 03:33:36 pm
      Not saying I want owen back at the club, but forget about the way he left the club.

He is a goal poacher, thrives off the scraps, and scores 20+ a season, we have not had any striker like him since he left. He is still  better than all of our other strikers IMO. Not saying I want hm back, but I wouldn't say no to him returning either. He will be cheaper than villa/eto'o/torres/tevez, and he has something that villa/eto'o dont have...Proven premiership pedidree.
      « Last Edit: Apr 21, 2007 10:24:51 am by Liverbird »
      Court LFC

• 8,496 posts | 182 
      Reply #86: Apr 20, 2007 03:55:53 pm
      can someone please tell me why everyone thinks hes not good anymore at real 16 goals without hardly any apperences at NEWCASTLE I repeat NEWCASTLE he scored 11 goals in 7 games it,d be hard to do that at one of the big four as alan hansen says every week when Liverpool dont win a game and when shearer isent next to him we need a striker like Micheal Owen personally id like to keep crouch but I think Owen-Kuyt or Owen-Bellamy whould be a gr8 combination and im sure he,ll show you all doubters against Reading hes a goalscorer and we shouldent have a go at him for leaving people make mistakes he learnt it the hard way when it comes down to it we,d be better for having him surely that,s what,s more important and by the way are any of you England fans as without him England don,t have any World class strikers so could you please respect him

I agree that is a prolific goalscoring record. I can't see why people cannot put this behind us with Michael bombing off to Madrid without a goodbye. Listen think about it, no disrespect to our club or anything but Michael wanted to have a chance to improve himself with the likes of Ronaldo, Raul, Beckham, Carlos, Zidane, etc... And the way Ged had us playing was not good enough. Michael is a winner, but I know he did this with a heavy heart. And I'm sure he would love to repay us if he got another chance here. Because quite frankly ever since Owen left us we have been not as good ever since. (Upfront I mean).
      Please do not take this post in to offense but I think Ged had fu**ed us up by the time Owen had left.
      Like selling Fowler, letting go Anelka, bringing in Diouf... you remember all of that.
      Real Madrid was a huge prospect then. With Michael only being 24 when he left, he thought he had a lot of football ahead of him. Thing is it never worked out at Real dispite finishing their top goalscorer.
      I think he could overcome all of these injuries. And put us closer to the League leaders.
      I hope he comes back in the summer, I really do.
      Cy
      Reply #87: Apr 20, 2007 04:41:23 pm
      I agree that is a prolific goalscoring record. I can't see why people cannot put this behind us with Michael bombing off to Madrid without a goodbye. Listen think about it, no disrespect to our club or anything but Michael wanted to have a chance to improve himself with the likes of Ronaldo, Raul, Beckham, Carlos, Zidane, etc... And the way Ged had us playing was not good enough. Michael is a winner, but I know he did this with a heavy heart. And I'm sure he would love to repay us if he got another chance here. Because quite frankly ever since Owen left us we have been not as good ever since. (Upfront I mean).
      Please do not take this post in to offense but I think Ged had fu**ed us up by the time Owen had left.
      Like selling Fowler, letting go Anelka, bringing in Diouf... you remember all of that.
      Real Madrid was a huge prospect then. With Michael only being 24 when he left, he thought he had a lot of football ahead of him. Thing is it never worked out at Real dispite finishing their top goalscorer.
      I think he could overcome all of these injuries. And put us closer to the League leaders.
      I hope he comes back in the summer, I really do.

Your post is one from the heart we can tell and I agree that Houllier blew it and was probably responsible in a way that Owen decided to leave afterwards, but when Benitez arrived Owen knew what new direction the club were on course for, he knew the quality of Benitez but he still decided to move to Real. A great player for me is someone who stick to his club in bad days. He was probably happy for LFC to win the champions leagues the following year but also probably realized the mistake he made then. A come back of Michael would have to be on Benitez terms and his terms only, then we will see if he really want to play for the shirt. I wouldn't like him back, but if he does come back I'll back him like I'm backing every player playing for us, but he would have to regain the kop and that if Michael comes back might be his biggest battle.
      RedWilly

• 9,223 posts | 1646 
      Reply #88: Apr 20, 2007 05:28:33 pm
      but he would have to regain the kop and that if Michael comes back might be his biggest battle.
      but if he wins that then surely, we could consider him one of our best ever players?
      riise' boot boy
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 585 posts | 32 
      Reply #89: Apr 20, 2007 05:44:11 pm

was 7 in 11 not other way around. i'd love him bk
      RED1028
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,392 posts | 92 
      • LFC - YNWA
      Reply #90: Apr 20, 2007 05:53:44 pm
      If it goes tits up at Arsenal and a mass exodus happens you know who would want to play for Liverpool...
      Thiery Henry and given the choice between him and Micheal Owen I think there is only one winner in my eyes.
      No disrespect to Owen because all he did for Liverpool was quality, no question about it. With Henry we would have an exciting, fresh breath of air at the club with knowledge of the Premiership and an abundance of  skill, flair and an exemplary track record.
      In all honesty I wouldn't want to see another bench-warmer like Fowler, again no disrespect. Robbie has not been given a fair crack of the whip in my mind, it baffles me to the point of confusion why he is named as a sub and not as a starter time and again and rarely gets a game. His reputation precedes him and I just feel if he had started more games we would have 3rd spot in the bag by now and probably more.
      That's my opinion but if Owen had the chance to return you woudn't look a gift horse in the mouth now would you?
      lofty287
      • Forum Youth Player

• 7 posts |
      Reply #91: Apr 20, 2007 05:58:54 pm
      I feel that Michael Owen won't return to Anfield ever again because i think he will feel that he won't be able to produce what he used to for the Reds... so i think he will stay at Newcastle for the rest of his career.

Quick Reply