Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Wolves [Premier League] Sun 19th May @ 4:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 16th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P16 W12 D1 L3

The Film Discussion Thread.

Read 711905 times
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Re: The Film Discussion Thread.
      Reply #4715: Jan 01, 2016 07:09:52 am
      HeighwayToHeaven
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,468 posts | 242 
      • Don't buy The Sun
      Reply #4716: Jan 02, 2016 08:39:13 pm
      Watched '71 last night. I saw it with a completely open mind, knowing very little about it, read no reviews and didn't watch the trailer. I thought it was a brilliant film which captured the troubles very well indeed. The main scene, which I won't dwell on and spoil for anyone who reads this and hasn't seen it, reminds me of the opening scenes of Saving Private Ryan for intensity and realism. A better, more polished production than I expected.

A must see film - brilliant from start to finish.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,304 posts | 4949 
      Reply #4717: Jan 02, 2016 11:13:35 pm
      Watched The Babadook yesterday and I thought it was really good but my missus wasn't overly keen.

s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #4718: Jan 10, 2016 06:10:21 pm

Watched the Hateful Eight earlier today, enjoyed it, but some of the violence was a little too much for me really. Cracking film with the usual Tarentino slick talking and stylised scene setting. Jennifer Jason Leigh plays a good part, as do all the actors really.   8/10 Would have been 9/10 but for the slightly too explicit violence. I think when people are scraping brains out of the hair and their mouths it's getting a touch to far.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #4719: Jan 10, 2016 06:18:50 pm
      Watched the Hateful Eight earlier today, enjoyed it, but some of the violence was a little too much for me really. Cracking film with the usual Tarentino slick talking and stylised scene setting. Jennifer Jason Leigh plays a good part, as do all the actors really.   8/10 Would have been 9/10 but for the slightly too explicit violence. I think when people are scraping brains out of the hair and their mouths it's getting a touch to far.

Yeah that seems a bit too much. Being gory for the sake of being gory is not cool.
      Pear
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,281 posts | 79 
      • Me, i always tell the truth, even when i lie.
      Reply #4720: Jan 10, 2016 06:20:25 pm
      Anyone watched The Revenant?
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,304 posts | 4949 
      Reply #4721: Jan 10, 2016 10:46:47 pm
      Amy.

A truly great film and although a difficult watch at times this is a film that sucks you in right from the first image you see of Amy Winehouse at the beginning.

Asif Kapdia has once again produced a fantastic piece of work.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,400 posts | 6408 
      Reply #4722: Jan 10, 2016 11:36:02 pm
      Catch Me If You Can is a great film.
      Wow, so many people liked this? Literally one of the worst movies I've ever seen, and one of the most boring. Of course I'm not a big fan of DiCaprio so that could be part of it.
      SM
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,583 posts | 400 
      Reply #4723: Jan 11, 2016 11:05:11 am
      Also haven't watched Star Wars yet because I feel like I need a marathon of the old films in order to remember a few things!

Trust me Diego you don't need a catch up to remember things..!!

I wont say anymore but just watch it.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,452 posts | 2846 
      Reply #4724: Jan 11, 2016 08:38:06 pm
      DiCaprio's performance in The Revenant is just incredible. If he doesn't win an Oscar for that I don't think he ever will! :D

The film itself was brilliant as well.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #4725: Jan 11, 2016 08:50:43 pm
      I watched The Blind Side before. It must be one of my favourite films and it was a well won Oscar by Sandra Bullock IMO. Anybody seen it before?
      Tayls
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,378 posts | 510 
      Reply #4726: Jan 11, 2016 08:55:56 pm

Thought Jennifer Jason Leigh was fantastic and in a stellar cast was the pick of the bunch. Had me cracking up quite a few times.

I think the violence is something you need to go in expecting from a Tarantino flick. It's pretty low key to start with but once things kick off it does get messy.

Apparently they filmed a lot of it in a -30* refrigerated set to get authentic icy breath :D
      IrishRed_IO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,486 posts | 349 
      • Formerly InertObject
      Reply #4727: Jan 11, 2016 08:57:50 pm
      I watched The Blind Side before. It must be one of my favourite films and it was a well won Oscar by Sandra Bullock IMO. Anybody seen it before?

Yeah was a great movie that!
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #4728: Jan 11, 2016 09:34:25 pm
      Thought Jennifer Jason Leigh was fantastic and in a stellar cast was the pick of the bunch. Had me cracking up quite a few times.

I think the violence is something you need to go in expecting from a Tarantino flick. It's pretty low key to start with but once things kick off it does get messy.

Apparently they filmed a lot of it in a -30* refrigerated set to get authentic icy breath :D

Yeah, from the point where Samuel L Jackson makes that blokes head "disappear" things did start to get real messy.

After watching the Revenant and this I'm glad someone invented Central heating :)

I thought this had the edge on the Revenant, but I expect the Revenant will pick up the awards. 
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #4729: Jan 14, 2016 12:56:30 pm
      Just watched Silver Linings Playbook for the first time finally.

Holy moly what a film. Unashamedly cried at the end. Brilliant.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,304 posts | 4949 
      Reply #4730: Jan 14, 2016 01:55:56 pm
      Just watched Silver Linings Playbook for the first time finally.

Holy moly what a film. Unashamedly cried at the end. Brilliant.

It's fantastic isn't it.

Still looking forward to David O Russel's latest Joy despite some negative reviews.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #4731: Jan 14, 2016 02:38:47 pm
      It's fantastic isn't it.

Still looking forward to David O Russel's latest Joy despite some negative reviews.

Saw Joy the other week. Was disappointed with it as well.

Likewise with the Hunger Games Part Two. I was so excited to see it because i loved the first two and the third instalment seemed to set up the fourth for a brilliant ending (never read the books) but it felt like they just tried to cram in as much action scenes as possible. Annoying.

But Silver Linings Playbook is incredibly well done. Cooper and Lawrence nailed it. I feel bad for waiting this long to see it.

EDIT: Just realised this is a Jennifer Lawrence fan boy post. As i say that, i'm about to watch American Hustle as well :D
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,304 posts | 4949 
      Reply #4732: Jan 14, 2016 02:50:17 pm
      Saw Joy the other week. Was disappointed with it as well.

Likewise with the Hunger Games Part Two. I was so excited to see it because i loved the first two and the third instalment seemed to set up the fourth for a brilliant ending (never read the books) but it felt like they just tried to cram in as much action scenes as possible. Annoying.

But Silver Linings Playbook is incredibly well done. Cooper and Lawrence nailed it. I feel bad for waiting this long to see it.

EDIT: Just realised this is a Jennifer Lawrence fan boy post. As i say that, i'm about to watch American Hustle as well :D

I enjoyed American Hustle but many people I know, including my wife, hated it.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #4733: Jan 15, 2016 11:34:35 am
      I enjoyed American Hustle but many people I know, including my wife, hated it.

It wasn't too bad. Wasn't great, though. Thought Lawrence was the highlight and her character didn't appear enough, unlike Adams who kinda sucked in that role and her character appeared throughout.

Seeing The Revenant this week. Big hopes for that one.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,304 posts | 4949 
      Reply #4734: Jan 15, 2016 11:50:53 am
      It wasn't too bad. Wasn't great, though. Thought Lawrence was the highlight and her character didn't appear enough, unlike Adams who kinda sucked in that role and her character appeared throughout.

Seeing The Revenant this week. Big hopes for that one.

Lawrence was the stand out in Hustle.

The Revenant is next on my list as well.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #4735: Jan 15, 2016 12:41:02 pm
      Lawrence was the stand out in Hustle.

The Revenant is next on my list as well.

Really excited for it. Glad it's getting good reviews.

Me too please, if possible :)
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,304 posts | 4949 
      Reply #4736: Jan 15, 2016 12:47:16 pm
      Really excited for it. Glad it's getting good reviews.

Me too please, if possible :)

Yep.

I'm a huge fan of DiCaprio and think he, even though he has a big profile, is hugely underrated as an actor.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #4737: Jan 15, 2016 01:10:13 pm
      Yep.

I'm a huge fan of DiCaprio and think he, even though he has a big profile, is hugely underrated as an actor.

100%. Wolf of Wall Street and Catch Me If You Can are two of my favourite movies because of his performances.

Quick Reply