Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 23rd of May and on this date LFC's match record is P9 W4 D1 L4

Will we win the league this season

Read 50899 times
      X-man
      • On Trial

• 2 posts |
      Re: Will we win the league this season
      Reply #92: Aug 10, 2009 09:30:26 am
      Considering the LFC squad team right now, In my opinion it is just enough to facing EPL but not enough if we playing in other competition (FA, Carling, Champions).. we need more substitute for Defender and Forward player. with Aquilani sign I believe he will give a new style in LFC midfield. My worry are if once Gerrard and Torres injured the substitute player like Ngog, El-Zhar, and Babel some time not ready to fill his position.

I agree with Barrymanulow opinion if Chelsea is our worry, Hiddink was leave the great system and Anceloti will continue. for me MU are equal with us but we have confidence after 1-4 games on Old Trafford. I hope we will playing well like previous seasons and reduce draw result to be WIN.
      I believe we will win EPL this seasons and we must focus on our target. In My Opinion we just have to focus on EPL and Champions League.

I never stop it will be come true..

YNWA
      « Last Edit: Aug 11, 2009 11:33:38 pm by MsGerrard, Reason: Corrected spelling for you, please use Capitals for players\' names and use the spell check button, that\'s what it\'s there for. Thankyou. »
      Liverpool_babe
      • Forum John Toshack

• 275 posts |
      • So maybe not our year... I still love LFC!
      Reply #93: Aug 10, 2009 10:14:35 am

Rafa reveals money worries - Reds boss may speak to owners to secure more funds

Last updated: 10th August 2009

Liverpool boss Rafa Benitez admits he may have to speak to the club's owners in order to secure more transfer funds to improve his squad.

Benitez has more or less broken even in the transfer market this summer after bringing in Glen Johnson and Alberto Aquilani while selling Xabi Alonso, Alvaro Arbeloa and Sebastien Leto.

He is hoping to sign a new centre-half after Sami Hyypia left the club on a free transfer at the end of last season and has targeted Hull City's Michael Turner.

Hull value Turner at £12million, with reports suggesting Liverpool have offered half that sum and have subsequently been linked with Stoke City stopper Ryan Shawcross as a cheaper alternative.

Benitez concedes he has not been given the money to compete with other clubs, and may have to discuss the situation with the club's American owners George Gillett and Tom Hicks.
      Difficult

"We are working hard with the players we have and the money we have," said Benitez.

"It is always difficult to compete in the Premier League with clubs who have more money.

"We had some money, but I will not talk about figures. It is something I have to talk with the club about.

"We try to be ready just in case we can sign someone, but you never know. It depends on the prices.

"If we need something more, we will talk with the owners."
      http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11669_5482808,00.html
      BigRed1978
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,874 posts | 51 
      • Y.N.W.A
      Reply #94: Aug 10, 2009 10:26:49 am
                             Reina

Johnson      Kelly       Carragher      Insua

Lucas       Mascherano

Kuyt                Gerrard            Riera

Torres

^^^^^^^ That could well be the line-up against Spurs, i think that looks pretty good. Lucas can easily fill the void left by Xabi, he's ready for it no doubt about that. My worry is the depth of quality in our squad. Our starting line-up is excellent but we need quality coming off the bench too.
      Liverpool_babe
      • Forum John Toshack

• 275 posts |
      Reply #95: Aug 10, 2009 10:33:56 am
                            Lucas can easily fill the void left by Xabi, he's ready for it no doubt about that. My worry is the depth of quality in our squad. Our starting line-up is excellent but we need quality coming off the bench too.

I know a lot of you guys on the forum like Lucas... I understand that he is young and that he is "improving". My problem is he's been at LFC for a while now, and I haven't seen anything to make me say WOW! I really and truly hope he pulls out his A-game this season bc he's got a big role to fill now with Xabi's departure - and I really DONT think it will be that easy for him.

he doesn't have the vision, or the creativity that Xabi had, and isn't that good at running back to defend either. I saw a lot of games last year where he'd run forward and then not cover his position leaving a great gaping invitaiton in midfield to the opposition.

I know I'm going to cop stick for this comment, but I'm sayng it how I see it, and thats my opinion.

I really have my fingers and toes closed that he proves me wrong, and in a few months I will be singing Lucas' praises on this forum...

:)
      tomx
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,303 posts | 240 
      Reply #96: Aug 10, 2009 03:00:21 pm
      This year is our year i think. If Torres and Gerrard stay away from injuries.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,479 posts | 4595 
      Reply #97: Aug 10, 2009 03:06:01 pm
      Our biggest loss as far as I'm concerned is Arbeloa, Arby could play at RB/LB and the experience he had was vital, lets not forget he had ronaldo/messi in his pocket.

As for the league we need a good start and no losses in the first 10 games.
      « Last Edit: Aug 11, 2009 11:38:58 pm by MsGerrard, Reason: Corrected spelling and tidied up post, please use the spell check button »
      redsonfire
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,660 posts | 111 
      • 96 Candles Burn Bright
      Reply #98: Aug 10, 2009 03:17:42 pm
      We need to step up the mantle from pre-season. Pre-season hasn't bee good at all, and we've to ensure that we don't carry that sh*te form into our opening game at Spurs.

Spurs are having a hard time in defence at the moment so if we win that I think that will set the note for the rest of the season.

It's a good opportunity to face Spurs, especially at such rough times for us, having gone through a really poor pre-season.

But still no doubt when there is something to fight for the lads will fight tooth and nail for it, not giving up till the final minute. The manager will be on top form as well.

^^
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,479 posts | 4595 
      Reply #99: Aug 10, 2009 03:33:41 pm
      Playing with our backs to the wall seems to bring the best out of this team,against all odds if there is a team that needs to get a result its us under rafa.
      We will see a more prolific team when the season kicks off,no doubt liverpool will come out of the blocks flying against spurs who will not know what hit them.
      bartman49
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,157 posts | 37 
      Reply #100: Aug 10, 2009 03:50:17 pm
      Before we bought Aquilini I had my doubts we would be as good this season, now I think once Aquilini is back from his injury we are equipped to go one better, the season is still open for buying players and although Rafa gives the impression that's it. it wouldn't surprise me to see another player coming in.

We are ready for another crack at the title, our defence is on a par (if not better) with any team in the EPL.

The midfield is without doubt the strongest and the best in the prem (Alonso may be missed at first) but once Aquilini finds his feet he will make us a better team than last season.

The attack is perhaps our strongest pairing in the team with Torres & Gerrard, but compared to the other teams going for the title, we have no ready made replacements if any injuries happen, and that's our Achilles heel, any long term injuries to certain players may make it harder for the team.

Having had my doubts last week, I have looked at our competitors and seen nothing to worry about, if anything it's them who should do the worrying about us.

Yes, we will win the Premier League...
      johnstop
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,745 posts | 23 
      Reply #101: Aug 10, 2009 04:21:20 pm
      I know someone said money isn't everything but it helps when you can buy a squad player for £20 mil as Utd have done £35mil for Berbatov. That's is our dilemma.If we are lucky with injuries then yes as we do have some of the best players in the world here now. Sadly if Stevie or Fernando don't play we have a gaping hole that we cannot fill. Utd have taken virtually 50 goals out of their side and replaced them with Owen and Valencia and that has got to tell at some point maybe in the top four games etc. I think we have now got the measure of Chelsea and Arsenal don't seem to be any stronger than last year so with a bit of luck on our side or a major miracle in the transfer market we can win the league.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #102: Aug 10, 2009 05:31:18 pm
      If Rafa had been willing or able to strengthen the team; my answer would have, without doubt, been yes. I don't think he's done that so whilst my answer is still yes - we'll need luck.

We'll need luck in lack of injuries to key players and luck that last seasons under - performers can finally step up - we all know who i'm talking about in both cases. I'm really hopeful but would much prefer to be "without doubt".
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,356 posts | 2877 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #103: Aug 10, 2009 07:45:24 pm
      Sadly have my doubts. Heres why

Squad strenght. Basically if Torres is out like last year we have N'Gog or Nemeth to step in. Great potential in both but ye cant expect either to fire us to a title challenge. Voronin isnt a goal every 2 games striker and Rafa doesn't fancy Babel up top by the look of it

Look at the situation at centre back. 3 young lads 2 of which dont look like they have whats needed, are now on standby to play against Crouchy and Defoe on Sunday

An injury to Masch or Lucas while we wait for Aqualani to get fit will also see us depending on Plessis or Spearing to come in or break up the Stevie/Nando team

Obviously with everyone fit and on form we have nothing to fear. But that is a big if. We needed to sign at least 2 more players and I also believe they needed to be 2 top range not middle range or young players
      THE MESSIAH
      • Forum Sami Hyypia

• 471 posts | 20 
      • "and on the seventh day.....there shall be Kenny"
      Reply #104: Aug 10, 2009 09:55:16 pm
      To all those who have probably seen this a million times before, I make a very small apology. Cos if you are feeling down with pre season results, Xabi leaving or just plain nervous about the start of a new campaign.........this is guaranteed to make your heart soar.

Sky Closing In My Life Sean Connery High Def
      Liverpool_babe
      • Forum John Toshack

• 275 posts |
      Reply #105: Aug 11, 2009 01:29:11 pm
      Thanks for that... warms the cockles of your heart don't it... I guess it's not over until its over :)
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,479 posts | 4595 
      Reply #106: Aug 11, 2009 02:03:03 pm
      As always tears in my eyes.
      Reslivo
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,490 posts | 521 
      Reply #107: Aug 11, 2009 02:07:32 pm
      We don't need luck, we just need to take it one game at a time.

Next is Spurs away, so we need to concentrate on that first rather than the League as a whole.
      redsonfire
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,660 posts | 111 
      • 96 Candles Burn Bright
      Reply #108: Aug 11, 2009 02:07:46 pm
      Seen that video a million times! But it still brings a tear to my eye everytime I see it, its really that heartwarming.

They summed up the final extremely well, with the song an' all, now lets welcome the new season with that sort of hope.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #109: Aug 11, 2009 02:17:48 pm
      To all those who have probably seen this a million times before, I make a very small apology. Cos if you are feeling down with pre season results, Xabi leaving or just plain nervous about the start of a new campaign.........this is guaranteed to make your heart soar.

Sky Closing In My Life Sean Connery High Def

Thank You
      kenny
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,314 posts | 76 
      Reply #110: Aug 11, 2009 02:19:01 pm
      Love that video, Res is right one game at a time, No point in thinking too far ahead.

Keep it cool like last season and i think we'll go one better this time.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #111: Aug 11, 2009 02:25:04 pm

A strange speak young master Res.  ???
      robbyr
      • The king of randomness and highly intellectual debate
      • Banned

• 2,684 posts | 27 
      Reply #112: Aug 11, 2009 02:40:56 pm
      In 38 matches last season we only lost 2 but drew 11.  The winners lost 4 but drew 6. 

Defensively we were strong, to have only been beaten twice, but the area of improvement needs to be scoring the critical goal required to turn the draws into wins.  Much was made last season of Uniteds fortunate fate in how they were lucky in racking up a bucket full of 1-0 wins. 

This season United wont have the Ronaldo factor, perhaps the main factor in how they were able to pinch those vital 1-0 wins. I would expect United to therefore score less than 90 points this year as some of those wins turn into frustrating draws, the likes of what we have endured last season.

For me, Chelsea are the worry, because once Hiddink arrived, and switched to a system of playing both Anelka and Drogba together, rather than the conservative method of one or the other, they looked much more dangerous up front. It seems that Ancelotti has quickly adopted the same approach and with Chelsea's midfield threat of Lampard, and Essien being back in the fold they will be hard to stop.

Our problem, is that even if we did buy a striker as cover for Torres, I doubt Benitez would play the two of them together. You then have the Peter Crouch, or Robbie Keane problem all over again. Frustrated players not getting a regular start, under constant pressure to come on in the 70th minute and deliver, or be heavily criticised.

After that Middlesborough loss we seemed to come out there and play without fear, when everything seemed lost, we found our mojo. Defensively we may have looked shaky for brief periods, where we had Torres, Benayoun, Kuyt, Gerrard all joining in the assault on goal.  If we are to continue down that that path, and play aggressively, risking the occasional shortage at the back then the rewards will be reaped, and we can win the title.
      In other words, its more about our style, and intent, and less about who is on the pitch. Playing an attacking style, like we did after Middlesborough, Torres, Gerrard, Kuyt and Benayoun are all quite capable of getting the job done up front, and if they play that attacking style they are equally as capable as anything Chelsea or United have going forward. 

great post, makes some good points.
      I think we need a full time striker to complement torres or a sub striker on form. get the chequebook out yanks, it will be worth your while.
      vydex
      • Forum Neil Ruddock

• 154 posts | -5 
      Reply #113: Aug 11, 2009 04:06:15 pm
      In 38 matches last season we only lost 2 but drew 11.  The winners lost 4 but drew 6. 

Defensively we were strong, to have only been beaten twice, but the area of improvement needs to be scoring the critical goal required to turn the draws into wins.  Much was made last season of Uniteds fortunate fate in how they were lucky in racking up a bucket full of 1-0 wins. 

This season United wont have the Ronaldo factor, perhaps the main factor in how they were able to pinch those vital 1-0 wins. I would expect United to therefore score less than 90 points this year as some of those wins turn into frustrating draws, the likes of what we have endured last season.

For me, Chelsea are the worry, because once Hiddink arrived, and switched to a system of playing both Anelka and Drogba together, rather than the conservative method of one or the other, they looked much more dangerous up front. It seems that Ancelotti has quickly adopted the same approach and with Chelsea's midfield threat of Lampard, and Essien being back in the fold they will be hard to stop.

Our problem, is that even if we did buy a striker as cover for Torres, I doubt Benitez would play the two of them together. You then have the Peter Crouch, or Robbie Keane problem all over again. Frustrated players not getting a regular start, under constant pressure to come on in the 70th minute and deliver, or be heavily criticised.

After that Middlesborough loss we seemed to come out there and play without fear, when everything seemed lost, we found our mojo. Defensively we may have looked shaky for brief periods, where we had Torres, Benayoun, Kuyt, Gerrard all joining in the assault on goal.  If we are to continue down that that path, and play aggressively, risking the occasional shortage at the back then the rewards will be reaped, and we can win the title.
      In other words, its more about our style, and intent, and less about who is on the pitch. Playing an attacking style, like we did after Middlesborough, Torres, Gerrard, Kuyt and Benayoun are all quite capable of getting the job done up front, and if they play that attacking style they are equally as capable as anything Chelsea or United have going forward. 

Totally agree with you there m8. I would add the fact that it may well be time to change our system of 4-2-3-1 and adopt the 4-1-3-2 style the spanish national team play. With the two strikers up top it may just give us that bit more impatuce in getting that missing goal.
      govinox
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 661 posts |
      • Where once we watched the King Kenny play.
      Reply #114: Aug 11, 2009 04:37:18 pm
      I honestly think that our season depends on the likes of Babel and Lucas stepping up. Xabi didn't have a good season in the previous season before last,but then he stepped up and we looked much more dangerous going forward.Now that Xabi is gone ,I do really hope that Lucas and Babel can live up to their potential. Remember Lucas won the Brazilian league player of the year and you don't become the best player in Brazil for nothing. Come on guys step up!!

Quick Reply