Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 1st of June and on this date LFC's match record is P7 W5 D1 L1

Sami Hyypia Player Thread

Read 30886 times
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Re: Sami Agrees new contract
      Reply #69: Apr 06, 2008 01:14:25 pm
      Ecstatic. Never doubted it though really as no one would buy him, but i did have a momentus thought on retirement after getting slagged for being too slow. Full deserves a testimonial, 10 YEARS! A very rare occasion in modern football and something to be rewarded.

PS: Houllier made a good signing ???     :lmao:    But thats another topic.
      shikhark
      • Forum John Barnes

• 414 posts |
      Reply #70: Apr 06, 2008 03:52:30 pm
      Great news.He is a legend without a doubt.
      donrafael
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,645 posts | 48 
      Reply #71: Apr 06, 2008 06:32:00 pm
      A living legend. Can't wait for him to get his badges and work within Carra's future back room team.

Well you live to dream don't you... and that would be one great dream and back room team!!!

I'm a poet and I don't know it.

Well done Sami lad... you deserve another playing year and more later... fantastic role model for all.
      MsGerrard
      Reply #72: Apr 06, 2008 11:05:20 pm
      A wonderful achievement in this day and age by any player to be at one club for ten years.

No one deserves it more than Sami Hypia.

A model professional, for all young boys to look up to.

You never hear any scandal about him, hardly ever gets booked or sent off, and is thought by all the other players to be a calming influence on the team and in the dressing room.

Congratulations Sami.

You've done yourself proud and the fans, and may your career with Liverpool Football Club continue for a very long time.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #73: Apr 07, 2008 07:05:36 am
      Sami as captain for next season? ;)
      Venom-C
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 806 posts |
      Reply #74: Apr 07, 2008 08:08:27 am
      "You dont stop playing because you get old, you get old because you stop playing"

So what if he doesnt have pace, he never had any to start with! His game has always been in his head, and that he'll never lose (just ask Maldini).

The word "legend" is thrown around too often when describing players. You cant use it with Sami, Its too much of an understatement.

...May you sign on even longer next season Sami

YNWA
      redkop63
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,890 posts | 455 
      Reply #75: Apr 09, 2008 09:42:28 am
      I just wonder at times if he had the speed in him he would have been truly awesome, but without that he is already so. Give him the testimonial, he truly derserves it. End Of. And let's make sure that he's part of our coaching staff to impart his invaluable experience to our young stars.
      Doddzy89
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 704 posts |
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #76: Apr 09, 2008 09:45:41 am
      Ohh Sami Sami, Sami Sami Hyypia

Great play from the Big Fin
      Venom-C
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 806 posts |
      Reply #77: Apr 09, 2008 10:06:26 am
      The best headered goal I've ever seen......
      kelv78
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,913 posts | 14 
      Reply #78: Apr 09, 2008 04:02:21 pm
      Oh Sami,Sami Sami Hyypia what a header.
      king kenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,133 posts | 456 
      Reply #79: Apr 09, 2008 05:16:14 pm
      An absolute legend that goals alone deserves a few million on his contract, many have come with their age being an advantage to replace him as our defensive king, but he seems to have enough in the tank to stand up to any challenge.  A true red and a player that will be always remembered!  Write him off at your own peril!
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #80: Apr 10, 2008 09:21:53 am
      The best headered goal I've ever seen......
      The header from Sami Hypia was class so much power and direction and totally deserved.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,886 posts | 6818 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #81: Apr 11, 2008 11:45:14 am
      Great goal Sammy, well done mate. TrueLFC legend. :angel:
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,367 posts | 2880 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Sami out of Champions League Squad
      Reply #82: Sep 08, 2008 06:53:47 pm
      Sami Hyppia as been left out of Liverpools champions league squad despite the club turning down offers for him in the summer

Sami Hyypia has spoken of his shock at being omitted from Liverpool's squad for the Champions League group stage.

The veteran centre-back is a victim of a new UEFA ruling that dictates that clubs must include at least eight home-grown players in the 25-man squad.

"The manager's decision to leave me out of the squad is a big disappointment for me," admitted Hyypia, who scored a crucial goal in the Reds' quarter-final victory over Arsenal last season.

"I understand it's partly because of the UEFA regulations, but despite that, the news came as a surprise to me and a shock too.

"But the club had a 'perfect' timing for this: they didn't want me to move elsewhere, so that's why I was told the news of having been left out, just after the transfer window had closed.

"The club went public to say there had been offers for me, but turned them down. So perhaps that means I am still part of the plans for this season.

"I don't know if I would have wanted to move on, had I heard news about the squad when the window was still open."

The new regulations state that club's must include four players trained by Liverpool's Academy while there must be a further four produced by an English Academy.

Steven Gerrard, Jamie Carragher, Jay Spearing and Stephen Darby are products of the Reds' Academy in the squad while Robbie Keane, Jermaine Pennant, Steve Irwin and Martin Kelly are also included.

Hyypia may still play in the competition this season if Liverpool successfully negotiate the group stage as clubs must submit a new squad list in January.

Meanwhile, Steve Finnan has spoken of his shock transfer deadline day move to Espanyol as part of the deal that brought Albert Riera to Anfield.

"It was totally out of the blue," said the 32-year-old right-back.

"It's exciting to be going to a great club in Spain but I didn't want to leave.

"But it was obvious that I wasn't going to get a game by staying so I didn't really have much choice."

« Last Edit: Sep 08, 2008 06:55:33 pm by JD »
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,683 posts | 6980 
      Re: Sami out of Champions League Squad
      Reply #83: Sep 08, 2008 06:56:37 pm
      Heard this over the weekend.  I bet you he is fuming, and rightly so.

We need 4 'Liverpool produced youth players' and 4 'England produced youth players'.

Hence the reason Rafa has been so pro-active in recruiting youngsters who can be put through the academy.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,141 posts | 3383 
      Reply #84: Sep 08, 2008 07:06:10 pm
      Feel sorry for Sami but these things happen and with the regulations of number of local and British produced players, someone will always have to miss out.
      Ard Mhacha Red
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,794 posts | 31 
      Reply #85: Sep 08, 2008 07:19:34 pm
      a bit of a slap in the face for sami if you ask me.

rafa should have done the decent thing and told him before the transfer window closed.  fair is fair after all, he should've been told what rafa's plans were.
      el nino9
      • Forum John Barnes

• 417 posts |
      Reply #86: Sep 08, 2008 07:30:42 pm

Well at least the changing rooms won't stink of piss whilst he's gone.....but seriously, I think he could go on for, forever maybe he's a Terminator >:( and John Connor was a RED. It makes sense, directives:-

Terminate the opposition,
      Protect the honours list,
      Use Martin Skrtel as your understudy when he arrives from the future....once happy ride out of the Shankly Gates on a Harley.

Maybe he is close to completing his mission!
      maxextz
      • Forum David Johnson

• 231 posts | -13 
      • Id like To dip my cookies in your tears.
      Reply #87: Sep 08, 2008 07:32:40 pm
      fcukin uefa  :tosser:, must when they get bored or no press attention they come with this non sence sh*t. :dunceblock: 
      « Last Edit: Sep 08, 2008 09:00:53 pm by maxextz »
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,683 posts | 6980 
      Reply #88: Sep 08, 2008 08:46:58 pm
      Just in case anybody wasn't sure.

Here's our UEFA Champions League squad.

Goalkeepers
      No.   Name
      1   Dieogo Cavalieri
      25   Pepe Reina
      34   Martin Kelly
      41   Martin Hansen *

Defenders
      No.   Name
      2   Andrea Dossena
      5   Daniel Agger
      12   Fábio Aurélio
      17   Álvaro Arbeloa
      23   Jamie Carragher
      27   Philipp Degen
      32   Stephen Darby
      36   Steven Irwin
      37   Martin Škrtel

Midfielders
      No.   Name
      8   Steven Gerrard
      14   Xabi Alonso
      15   Yossi Benayoun
      16   Jermaine Pennant
      20   Javier Mascherano
      21   Lucas Leiva
      26   Jay Spearing
      35   Ryan Flynn *
      39   Nathan Eccleston *

Forwards
      No.   Name
      7   Robert Keane
      9   Fernando Torres
      11   Albert Riera
      18   Dirk Kuyt
      19   Ryan Babel
      24   David Ngog

* asterisked players are on the 'B List'.

Liverpool, as all other European teams, must have 8 players who have spent at least three years between the ages of 15 and 21 being developed, in our case in England.

I've highlighted the 8 I think qualify under this ruling.  Clearly signing Gareth Barry probably would have enabled Hyypia to take part, but only at the expense of possibly Alonso.
      solodee
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,036 posts | 147 
      • Liverpool FC All The Way
      Reply #89: Sep 08, 2008 10:04:11 pm
      So much bickering going on. First Gerrard complains then this?

Hyypia is good, but Skrtel is there, Agger too. Surely we cant have 4 CDs in the squad at the expense of the other squad positions.

Players need to start respecting the Manager's decisions.
      el nino9
      • Forum John Barnes

• 417 posts |
      Reply #90: Sep 08, 2008 10:11:07 pm
      So much bickering going on. First Gerrard complains then this?

Hyypia is good, but Skrtel is there, Agger too. Surely we cant have 4 CDs in the squad at the expense of the other squad positions.

Players need to start respecting the Manager's decisions.

Spot on mate, but too spot on, yes you talk like a proper manager and that is exactly what.......RAFA BENITEZ would have said.......look everyone Rafa is on the Forum solodee is an imposter, he is really Benitez.

And let me guess you would have got away with it if it wasn't for that pesky El Nino!!!!!
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,141 posts | 3383 
      Reply #91: Sep 08, 2008 10:43:50 pm
      I feel for Sami but he isn't the only one missing out, the likes of Plessis and Insua are being forced to sit out the Champions League as well. Plessis has already played in it this year, so has El Zhar but they're not in the squad so it's not like Hyypia's being singled out.

The rule is four players who've been trained at the said club for three years between the ages of 15 and 23 as well as four other players who've been trained in whatever country your club is in for three years between the ages of 15 and 23. Every club in the Champions League knows this, so there was always going to be a few missing out from the clubs with big squads and little homegrown talent as certainties. Sami is just one of many who'll have to watch the Champions League matches from the comfort of his own home and hope that when it's time to re-register player for the knockout stage he gets his go.

Quick Reply