Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 29th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P8 W3 D3 L2

Kewell

Read 11712 times
      richbull76
      • Forum Michael Robinson
      • Started Topic

• 53 posts |
      Kewell
      Apr 26, 2007 11:18:22 am
      Any Ideas when he is due to be fit?  ???
      Could he be the answer to tuesday night, (if he was fully match fir that is)
      « Last Edit: Apr 26, 2007 03:59:15 pm by JD »
      Crazy Horse
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,324 posts | 39 
      Re: Kewel
      Reply #1: Apr 26, 2007 01:31:39 pm
      He will be fit if we get to the final, he usually shows his face then!
      kelv78
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,913 posts | 14 
      Reply #2: Apr 26, 2007 01:38:42 pm
      Dont think he will play this season.
      Glenbuck
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,893 posts | 205 
      Reply #3: Apr 26, 2007 01:39:20 pm
      He will be fit if we get to the final, he usually shows his face then!

I couldn't believe such a thing Crazy Horse ::), i heard he's had a setback in training, he's ran out of false tan so he has got to fly back to OZ on one of those free flights we have given him in his contract,couldn't they have been one way tickets?
      « Last Edit: Apr 26, 2007 01:42:58 pm by Glenbuck »
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,260 posts | 2856 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Re: Kewell
      Reply #4: Apr 28, 2007 05:44:45 pm
      Give him until Jan 08, if no joy then sell him, I think he could have been good for us, but he never had a really good run, look a Pennant, he now looks half decent.
      « Last Edit: Apr 28, 2007 05:45:58 pm by RedPuppy »
      RedWilly
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,213 posts | 1646 
      Reply #5: Apr 28, 2007 07:06:24 pm
      Give him until Jan 08, if no joy then sell him, I think he could have been good for us, but he never had a really good run, look a Pennant, he now looks half decent.
      Big difference here, It took pennant 7 months or so to show some form, its taken harry 4 years and were still waiting.
      lester76
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,810 posts | 242 
      Reply #6: Apr 28, 2007 09:57:06 pm
      Great shame....was such a talent...
      Tallfc
      • Forum Phil Thompson

• 477 posts |
      Reply #7: Apr 28, 2007 10:52:12 pm
      I have said it once and i will say it again ......GET RID.some may disagree but he is never fit plus whats he on wage ways per week,pay that wage to some one who wants to put his heart and soul in Liverpool
      EddieC

• 5,557 posts | 233 
      Reply #8: Apr 29, 2007 04:54:19 pm
      4 seasons, 120 games played, and this guy isn't a bit part player when fit. Simple fact is we have given Kewell enough time to prove himself. For me he HAS proved himself on two fronts, firstly that when fit he's a class player definately deserving of playing for us, secondly that as soon as this happens he will injure himself again. Class yes, but has to go.

On a side note, I've logged in today after a few days away to find a lot of pathetic threads on here, this being one of them. Please guys, if you're going to start threads firstly make sure there's not one already running (richbull76 your team selection for Tuesday's match could've just as well gone in the match thread, no need for a new topic). Also, when starting your topic, make sure it's about something relevant, an issue that can actually lead to some discussion, and most importantly OFFER YOUR OWN OPINION ON IT!!!!!!!!!
      Lea
      • Forum Markus Babbel

• 79 posts |
      Reply #9: Apr 29, 2007 06:57:17 pm
      so if LFC sold him, how much money could they get 4 him do u think?
      Tallfc
      • Forum Phil Thompson

• 477 posts |
      Reply #10: Apr 29, 2007 07:37:20 pm
      so if LFC sold him, how much money could they get 4 him do u think?

It depends when his contract is up, If its the end of this season we will get nothing for him.....otherwise about  4 million for him is probably about right.
      carragerrard
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,584 posts | 94 
      Reply #11: Apr 29, 2007 08:12:49 pm
      he is nearly 29 now and i dont think he will get to his best  again with his tormented injuries,,,,,i always liked harry  ,,as said before keep him till january ... than decide to keep him or not 
      EddieC

• 5,557 posts | 233 
      Reply #12: Apr 29, 2007 08:18:41 pm
      he is nearly 29 now and I dont think he will get to his best  again with his tormented injuries,,,,,I always liked harry  ,,as said before keep him till january ... than decide to keep him or not 

Why keep him til January? His contract finishes next summer & from Jan he will be able to sign a pre-contract with another club. Even if this wasn't the case, why keep him? All he has shown in 4 seasons is that he's hardly ever fit. Do some people on here wanna win the league or what? Simple fact is we have the manager, we have the tactics, and now we have the financial backing. All we need are the players, and with new players coming in, some are gonna leave. Harry Kewell would be one of the first on that list for me.
      carragerrard
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,584 posts | 94 
      Reply #13: Apr 29, 2007 08:28:23 pm
      Why keep him til January? His contract finishes next summer & from Jan he will be able to sign a pre-contract with another club. Even if this wasn't the case, why keep him? All he has shown in 4 seasons is that he's hardly ever fit. Do some people on here wanna win the league or what? Simple fact is we have the manager, we have the tactics, and now we have the financial backing. All we need are the players, and with new players coming in, some are gonna leave. Harry Kewell would be one of the first on that list for me.
      taught he had another year on contract...if thats the case i agree with you 
      EddieC

• 5,557 posts | 233 
      Reply #14: Apr 29, 2007 08:38:54 pm
      taught he had another year on contract...if thats the case I agree with you 

Even if he did have another year, what has he done in 4 years that deserves being given another 6 months?
      priesty10
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,339 posts |
      • Rafa, Gone but not forgotten
      Reply #15: Apr 30, 2007 08:55:45 am
      I'd give him one last chance, he has the ability so if he can get 15+ games on a run i thinkk he'll be a massive benift to us!
      EddieC

• 5,557 posts | 233 
      Reply #16: Apr 30, 2007 10:55:25 am
      I'd give him one last chance, he has the ability so if he can get 15+ games on a run I thinkk he'll be a massive benift to us!

That's the thing, it's a massive IF, and that's not the mentality of a title winning squad. You cannot hold on to players for sentimental reasons, like they're a legend, or they've got the talent if they can stay fit. Every single member of your squad has to have enough talent, and be fit enough to play AT LEAST 40 games a season. Kewell cannot guarantee this, so he has to go. Throw in the fact that he's entering the last year of his contract in the summer & it's a no brainer.

This is the problem with a lot of people on here, and a lot of Liverpool fans in general. It's been so long since we won the league that people have forgotten the mentality needed. Much as I hate both of them, one of the things you have to admire about Mourinho & Ferguson is their ruthless streak in their determination for success. This is why Roy Evans failed, and Houllier, but is why Rafa will succeed. I just wish certain sections of the fans would get clued up, cos Rafa is gonna have to make these decisions if we're gonna win the league, and he doesn't need fans getting on his back over it.
      priesty10
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,339 posts |
      Reply #17: Apr 30, 2007 11:01:42 am
      your right it is a massive if but unless we sign another left winger he's the best we have so there isnt much of a choice, Speedy isnt good enough (he may need more time to settle) Riise is not a winger nor is Fabio, and with what looks like Rafa building a team based on 4-2-3-1 Kewell would be perfect. Yes I highly rate him and yes he is one of my favourite players but I think he's never not tried/or not put the effort in he's just been unlucky........
      EddieC

• 5,557 posts | 233 
      Reply #18: Apr 30, 2007 11:31:07 am
      your right it is a massive if but unless we sign another left winger he's the best we have so there isnt much of a choice, Speedy isnt good enough (he may need more time to settle) Riise is not a winger nor is Fabio, and with what looks like Rafa building a team based on 4-2-3-1 Kewell would be perfect. Yes I highly rate him and yes he is one of my favourite players but I think he's never not tried/or not put the effort in he's just been unlucky........

I don't disagree he's been unlucky, obviously no player wants to get injured, but the fact is a time has to come when you say enough's enough. For me that time has come. The only way I would consider keeping him is if he was willing to sign a pay as you play deal, and even then I'd keep two other LM's as he'd hardly ever be fit. But let's face it, if he was on that deal this season he'd still have earned nothing so far!
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,344 posts | 4966 
      Reply #19: Apr 30, 2007 12:03:36 pm
      Agree eddiec you cant hold onto players on the off chance they will eventually be fit for a full season. I think harry is a super player but iwe cant take a chance on him being fit for next season and should take what we can get for him in the summer
      priesty10
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,339 posts |
      Reply #20: Apr 30, 2007 04:10:49 pm
      Just seen Herrys on the bench tonight for the ressie's do any of the members check out the ressie games?

Really hope he gets 45mins under his belt with no injury issues, he may gat a game before the end of the season but good to here he's back :)
      jakkeo
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 342 posts |
      Reply #21: Apr 30, 2007 04:54:25 pm
      just heard he is on the bench, he will make his comeback in the champions league final  ;D. Hope to see him back soon though, we need a top class left winger and lets be honest when hes at the top of his game he is top class
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #22: Apr 30, 2007 09:13:34 pm

This is the problem with a lot of people on here, and a lot of Liverpool fans in general. It's been so long since we won the league that people have forgotten the mentality needed. Much as I hate both of them, one of the things you have to admire about Mourinho & Ferguson is their ruthless streak in their determination for success. This is why Roy Evans failed, and Houllier, but is why Rafa will succeed. I just wish certain sections of the fans would get clued up, cos Rafa is gonna have to make these decisions if we're gonna win the league, and he doesn't need fans getting on his back over it.

Absolutely spot on.
      It is very big shame that some younger Liverpool fans don't even know what it's like to win a league title. And it's even more of a shame when you have people who can remember what it's like to win the league, but forget that there's no room for sentiment.
      I'm a big fan of Kewell from his Leeds days. He was such a good player back then and I was over the moon when we signed him. But I'm afraid that he's never been "that good" for us. And with adding the injuries (which of course isn't his fault - just unlucky) then I really do think his days are numbered.
      If I knew as soon as he comes back to full fitness that he's gonna be the player he was for Leeds, then I'd be saying keep him for a while!!!
      But Rafa needs a top class winger down the left and one that's younger, fitter, quicker and with hunger! That's what Kewell used to be like for Leeds remember...

I just hope Rafa picks one that isn't hyped up as much as Gonzalez was, because the hype hasn't been justified in my opinion and probably hasn't helped him settle.

Anyway, Kewell got off to good start on his return for the reserves.
      from .tv:

Harry Kewell made an impressive return from injury when he created a goal during Liverpool Reserves 3-1 win over Everton in the mini derby at Wrexham's Racecourse Ground on Monday night. 
      The Reds number seven hadn't kicked a ball since scoring for Australia against Croatia in the World Cup and has been on the sidelines all season. He came on after 55 minutes and played on the left wing.

Kewell made an instant impact too. He was only on the field for five minutes when he beat two defenders down the left and set up Craig Lindfield for a tap-in from close range.

Quick Reply