Trending Topics

Next match: Villa v LFC [Premier League] Mon 13th May @ 8:00 pm - Pre Match Topic
      Villa Park

Today is the 13th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P16 W7 D4 L5

The Beach Ball

Read 12501 times
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      The Beach Ball
      Oct 17, 2009 06:00:04 pm
      Just saw this in the paper:

New Star: Premier League teams to Jostle for Signature of Sunderland prospect Beach Ball

Four Minutes, Twenty-Eight Seconds. This is the moment a star was born at the Stadium of Light today in the Premier League match-up between Sunderland and Liverpool.
      Come the end of the game, Beach Ball's opportunistic strike was still the one that counted as Sunderland scored their first win against Liverpool for 7 years, and what a strike it was. World class positioning some are saying, as Beach Ball got between ball and keeper and diverted an otherwise standard save past a hapless Reina.
      Asked about his thoughts on the game, Beach Ball said, "Well, i was just in the stands enjoying the spectacle, trying to score a beer off someone when some dickhead just threw me onto the field! Thought, hey heres a chance to kick off my career, and it came. Really blessed i am, lucky the rules allow Beach Balls a chance in this league"
      After this he was mobbed by thousands of adoring new fans looking for a signature, which he unfortunately could not provide being he has no hands.
      Premier League clubs are reportedly already fighting over who will land the new stars signature, none more so than Sir Alex Ferguson, who remarked after his sides win against Bolton, "We at Manchester United are always looking for new ways to steal matches and points in any way possible. With the tapping up of referees seemingly fading out after Wiley's F**k up last week, Beach Ball really seems like the perfect type to fit into our corrupt system."
      Rafa Benitez refused to be drawn into the speculation, simply saying, "With two skint basterds at the helm of our club, we have no chance in signing Beach Ball, FACHT. We will try for his poorer cousin, Golf Ball, to replace Babel."
      Whatever happens with the Transfer saga beginning here, it is certain a new star has been born.
      Dmasta
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,895 posts | 553 
      Re: The Beach Ball
      Reply #1: Oct 17, 2009 06:14:57 pm
      Isn't there a video floating round on the net somewhere of a naked chick scoring a goal against Pepe? He's going to have a very interesting highlights reel at the end of his career.
      Kop-Cnut
      • Forum David Johnson

• 228 posts |
      Reply #2: Oct 17, 2009 06:21:08 pm
      What next a ref?
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,369 posts | 8620 
      Reply #3: Oct 17, 2009 11:01:35 pm
      Everyone does realise the mancs will have F***ing loads of these next week!
      MsGerrard
      Reply #4: Oct 17, 2009 11:06:41 pm
      Everyone does realise the mancs will have f**king loads of these next week!

I thought that this afternoon  ::) the mancs should all be searched before they enter Anfield  :mad:
      thereds13
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,206 posts | 18 
      Reply #5: Oct 17, 2009 11:11:08 pm
      Just showed the kid putting it on the pitch on match of the day they blocked out his face though.
      MsGerrard
      Reply #6: Oct 17, 2009 11:16:51 pm
      Just showed the kid putting it on the pitch on match of the day they blocked out his face though.

I bet he's feeling pretty pissed off tonight, the chances of that happening must be several thousand to one, bet he won't half get some stick from his mates as well.
      thereds13
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,206 posts | 18 
      Reply #7: Oct 17, 2009 11:17:58 pm
      I bet he's feeling pretty pissed off tonight, the chances of that happening must be several thousand to one, bet he won't half get some stick from his mates as well.
      Wouldn't of wanted to be him when that goal went in.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #8: Oct 17, 2009 11:20:40 pm
      Wouldn't of wanted to be him when that goal went in.

In Italy they would have had his guts for garters within minutes :laugh:
      LiverpoolJay
      • Forum Ian St John

• 433 posts |
      • Never lose hope
      Reply #9: Oct 17, 2009 11:32:25 pm
      They blocked his face out on MOTD because they are sure his mates will give him a few digs tomorrow... He will be getting more than just a few "diggs"   >:D  >:(
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,426 posts | 2836 
      Reply #10: Oct 17, 2009 11:42:22 pm

Deserves it.

No place for that kind of stuff at a football match. Go to the beach if you want to use one, hence the name 'beach ball'.
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #11: Oct 18, 2009 12:11:44 am
      Deserves it.

No place for that kind of stuff at a football match. Go to the beach if you want to use one, hence the name 'beach ball'.

Precisely.

Plus the fact he physically punched it with the intention of it going onto the pitch. Knob head.
      Reslivo
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,490 posts | 521 
      Reply #12: Oct 18, 2009 12:21:59 am
      That F***ing beach ball.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,308 posts | 2853 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #13: Oct 18, 2009 01:09:57 am
      Wasnt a beach ball or balloon it was a space hopper. Bounce around all day on them but the fact is it came from the Liverpool end so who is the knob jockey who thought it would be fun to throw that on the pitch? Dopey pr**k 
      danny8t4
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,819 posts | 51 
      Reply #14: Oct 18, 2009 01:14:02 am
      Manure will really have hundreds of them, I have got over the sickness of it now and have to laugh about it because I know I would pee myself if Manure conceded a goal in such circumstances.
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #15: Oct 18, 2009 01:18:24 am
      I wonder why no one put the beach ball out of the pitch? Were Sunderland attacking us from the moment the ball came onto the field till they scored?
      Gow
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,531 posts | 282 
      Reply #16: Oct 18, 2009 01:40:05 am
      I've said it before and I'll say it again.

It wasn't a beach ball.

It was Steve Bruce's head.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,835 posts | 6777 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #17: Oct 18, 2009 04:45:34 am
      We're going to be laughed at for years to come because of this.

Why do we always have such sh*t luck  ???
      barrymanulow
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,014 posts | -14 
      Reply #18: Oct 18, 2009 05:17:01 am
      Imagine if it had been going in the corner for a goal, had already beaten the keeper and the beach ball deflected it wide.   What would be the ruling then?   

I mean this beach ball sh*t can work two ways, maybe teams will start hangiong them off the f***in crossbar in years to come.

Any thoughts?
      weshall_kop
      • Forum Didi Hamann

• 300 posts | 13 
      Reply #19: Oct 18, 2009 07:04:39 am
       :mad:  :mad:  :mad:  :mad:
      barrymanulow
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,014 posts | -14 
      Reply #20: Oct 18, 2009 09:00:07 am
      yuk

The guilty culprit
      thereds13
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,206 posts | 18 
      Reply #21: Oct 18, 2009 09:18:42 am
      I wonder why no one put the beach ball out of the pitch? Were Sunderland attacking us from the moment the ball came onto the field till they scored?
      Sunderland were moving forward as it came on if anyone had moved and kicked the beachball off the pitch it would have probably created a chance for sunderland.
      Dadorious
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #22: Oct 18, 2009 10:00:42 am
      In the first minute it showed Pepe's goal, the beach ball was in our goal at the time.

Could Pepe have not thrown it out of the goal or alerted the ref/steward/4th official??
      el batez
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,795 posts | 189 
      • everyones friend.enemies none.
      Reply #23: Oct 18, 2009 10:18:05 am
      The balloon ed's picture is in the papers,I ope' he's not at the Lyon game.
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      Reply #24: Oct 18, 2009 10:34:06 am
      In the first minute it showed Pepe's goal, the beach ball was in our goal at the time.

Could Pepe have not thrown it out of the goal or alerted the ref/steward/4th official??

Exactly what I was saying. Unless the ball did not go out of play from the moment the beach ball came in till the goal.
      « Last Edit: Oct 18, 2009 12:24:03 pm by Adryan »
      Gow
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,531 posts | 282 
      Reply #25: Oct 18, 2009 11:53:17 am
      ffs.

What are you pair trying to do to this poor kid?

Seriously thought you'd know better. D'you want this lad to get a kicking or something?

Look at the players on the pitch before you blame the f***in beach ball.
      Reslivo
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,490 posts | 521 
      Reply #26: Oct 18, 2009 12:13:49 pm
      He was having a bit of fun.

Do you really think he'd have thrown it on if he knew it'd help Sunderland score?

Did you say the same thing about our fans when they threw socks on to the pitch at Goodison? No you F***ing didn't.

Leave it.
      Gow
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,531 posts | 282 
      Reply #27: Oct 18, 2009 12:16:36 pm
      ^ Agreed.

If you want to talk about the damn beach ball then maybe you should be talking about the ref, his 'assistants', and the 4th official - who all failed to get the rules right and have a drop-ball because of the outside interference that contributed to the ball ending up in the net.

Once again, the FA and their officials get the major decision wrong.
      Eem

• 6,018 posts | 89 
      Reply #28: Oct 18, 2009 12:20:12 pm
      No need to be showing pictures of the guy, he probably feels bad enough as it is.

The players on the pitch then had 85 minutes to make up for it, but they didn't. It's not the balloons fault, or the kid who threw it onto the pitch.
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #29: Oct 18, 2009 12:20:59 pm
      All that true, but he's still a goon for throwing it onto the pitch.

I think anyone who throws anything onto the pitch is a tw*t personally.

That being said he obviously shouldn't be named and shamed as some people are calling for.
      Eem

• 6,018 posts | 89 
      Reply #30: Oct 18, 2009 12:22:31 pm
      I think anyone who throws anything onto the pitch is a tw*t personally.

Except socks and Tesco bags, correct?
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #31: Oct 18, 2009 12:23:38 pm
      No?

I said anyone.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,426 posts | 2836 
      Reply #32: Oct 18, 2009 12:33:39 pm
      Freak goal was 'wrongly allowed'
      A former FA Premier League referee says he is "amazed" Sunderland's winner against Liverpool, which deflected off a beach ball, was allowed to stand.

Jeff Winter told BBC Radio 5 live: "Everyone's going to have a field day but nobody's getting upset about it.

"But the laws of the game clearly state that if there's an outside interference the game has to be stopped.

"The referee (Mike Jones) and his assistant knew something was wrong, and it should have been a dropped ball."

The incident occurred when Darren Bent took a first-time shot from just inside the penalty area in one of Sunderland's first attacks during Saturday's Premier League match at the Stadium of Light.

The ball evaded Glen Johnson's attempted block and, at almost the same time, deflected off a large red beach ball at the edge of the six-yard box.

Liverpool goalkeeper Pepe Reina found his eyes initially drawn to the path of the beach ball and was wrong-footed, in no position to make the save.

Jones did seem to consult the assistant referee but allowed the goal to stand.

Winter said: "Sunderland fans would say it would have probably gone in anyway and that it was a Liverpool fan who threw it [the beach ball] on the pitch.

"But I'm absolutely amazed. It is a basic law in football and the goal should just not have stood.

"I am absolutely amazed that a referee at that level of football, that between him, his assistant and the fourth official they didn't see what had happened and give the correct decision.

"There would have been absolute ructions at the Stadium of Light because the fans wouldn't have understood what had happened but I was watching yesterday afternoon and I was thinking 'hang on this can't be right'.

"I try to defend referees whenever possible but this, in terms of interpreting the laws of the game, is far more serious than when a ball crosses a line and somebody doesn't see it.

"But on this occasion the irony is that everyone is having a laugh and a joke about it."

After the incident, Reina was furious and rushed to remonstrate with a referee's assistant - but the goal stood despite a Fifa law which states: "The referee stops, suspends or terminates the match because of outside interference of any kind."

Rafael Benitez, Liverpool's manager, refused to focus his anger on the fifth-minute incident calling it a "a very technical question".

"It was a special situation but we didn't play well," he said.

"The goal changed the game but we made some mistakes and gave the ball away. When we had our chances, we didn't take them. These things can happen. It's a bad situation for us that the [beach] ball was in the middle and was influential but again I will say we didn't play well - that's the main thing for me."

His counterpart, Steve Bruce, said he initially thought the strike might have taken a deflection off Johnson rather than the beach ball.

Having found out what had actually happened, he said: "If you really know that rule then you are a little bit sad. I didn't know the rule that if a ball hit an object it should be a dropped ball, I always thought it's Sod's Law and you carry on, but there we are.

"We've had a bit of luck there way, it's one of those things but it's obviously helped our cause.

Freak goal was 'wrongly allowed'
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      Reply #33: Oct 18, 2009 12:35:47 pm
      I got some stick for just putting the picture there so I have removed it.

Blame the players on the field not the ball or the referees/linesman/officials ::)
      RedWilly

• 9,202 posts | 1644 
      Reply #34: Oct 18, 2009 12:37:19 pm
      Kid's a goon. Sky Sports are actually after him, so soon everyone will know him.
      Dmasta
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,895 posts | 553 
      Reply #35: Oct 18, 2009 01:33:46 pm
      Kid's a goon. Sky Sports are actually after him, so soon everyone will know him.
      I hope for the kids sake they don't find him, he's 10 years old ffs but that wouldn't stop some dickhead smacking his head in.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,369 posts | 8620 
      Reply #36: Oct 18, 2009 01:33:48 pm

If I was his dad, I'd tell them sh*t-stirring bas**rds to F**k right off.

He's a red, no matter what happened, we don't grass on our own.

Snitches get stitches!!
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #37: Oct 18, 2009 01:53:46 pm
      I don't really see the point of this topic.

You have good and bad fortune in football. You've just got to take it on the chin when things go against you and move on.

People calling this kid need to get a grip. He's a F***ing kid! Who's also a red!!

thereds13
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,206 posts | 18 
      Reply #38: Oct 18, 2009 03:58:50 pm
      Just saw something on sky sports news, it showed the ball being put on the pitch before kick off then staying in the corner of our goal for 8 minutes then when they scored it was in the penalty area. It didn't show it being moved from our goal but I can only assume that Reina kicked it out.
      thereds13
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,206 posts | 18 
      Reply #39: Oct 18, 2009 04:07:36 pm
      Premier League - Liverpool shop sells out of beach balls
      Eurosport - Sun, 18 Oct 09:17:00 2009

Mischievous fans of rival teams have flocked to Liverpool's official online store to buy the club out of beach balls.

The Reds lost 1-0 to Sunderland on Saturday courtesy of a Darren Bent strike that deflected in off a large red ball that had been thrown into the penalty box by a Liverpool supporter.

Opposition fans revelling in Rafa Benitez's side's misery have bought all remaining 'beach sets' from the online shop, which consist of a towel, a bag and the now-infamous beach ball.

The sets had been reduced from £20 to £10 and have now sold out. They will be a must-have item for travelling supporters visiting Anfield in coming weeks.

Several web users have also left spoof reviews on the site.

'Natalie from Manchester' wrote: "I bought this set, but seem to have lost the ball in Sunderland. Is it possible to order a replacement?" while 'G from Johnon' commented: "This is one of the most flexible products I have ever purchased. Great for not only the beach, but can also play up front."

Liverpool fans are unlikely to see the funny side; the defeat was their fourth of the season, and leaves them seven points off the top of the Premier League.

Referee Mike Jones allowed the goal, although the laws state play should be stopped if any 'outside agent' interferes, and restarted with a drop ball.

Bent's shot bounced into the ball and deviated into the bottom-right corner past goalkeeper Jose Reina, who was so badly distracted he moved to save the beach ball.

Sky Sports News broadcast footage on Saturday of a young fan batting the ball into Reina's penalty box from the away end, but Match of the Day and the Sunday newspapers blocked out the fan's face fearing reprisals for his blunder.

Sunderland manager Steve Bruce said he did know the goal should not have stood, saying: "If anybody knew that rule - that it is supposed to be a drop ball - then you are a saddo."

However, former Premier League referee Jeff Winter said he was shocked Jones did not disallow the goal.

Winter said: "I'm absolutely amazed. It is basic law in football. The goal should just not have stood. The laws of the game state that if there's an outside interference the game has to be stopped."

New this would happen. >:(
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,369 posts | 8620 
      Reply #40: Oct 18, 2009 04:07:45 pm
      Just saw something on sky sports news, it showed the ball being put on the pitch before kick off then staying in the corner of our goal for 8 minutes then when they scored it was in the penalty area. It didn't show it being moved from our goal but I can only assume that Reina kicked it out.

Or maybe a Sunderland steward did?

Especially after hearing what a sterling job they did yesterday, throwing Liverpool fans out for supposed standing, but only those that were nearest to the aisles, but apparently letting the Sunderland fans on the opposite of the divide get away with exactly the same thing!

And why hasn't that tw*t from SSN down by the ground been set on fire yet!
      Eem

• 6,018 posts | 89 
      Reply #41: Oct 18, 2009 04:41:59 pm
      Premier League - Liverpool shop sells out of beach balls
      Eurosport - Sun, 18 Oct 09:17:00 2009

Of course. F***ing typical.
      dave09
      • Forum Neil Ruddock

• 153 posts | -1 
      Reply #42: Oct 18, 2009 07:12:30 pm
      there is loads of jokes and stuff all over the net about the beach ball now
      dave09
      • Forum Neil Ruddock

• 153 posts | -1 
      Reply #43: Oct 18, 2009 07:14:32 pm
      there is a video of a referee scoring,apparently it's allowed but a beach ball aint
      Dmasta
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,895 posts | 553 
      Reply #44: Oct 18, 2009 07:15:28 pm
      Wow a real comedian. ::)
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,426 posts | 2836 
      Reply #45: Oct 18, 2009 07:19:36 pm
      I'd laugh so much if we scored from a deflected shot off a beach ball thrown by a United fan next weekend.
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #46: Oct 18, 2009 07:33:39 pm
      I don't really see the point of this topic.

You have good and bad fortune in football. You've just got to take it on the chin when things go against you and move on.

People calling this kid need to get a grip. He's a f**king kid! Who's also a red!!

I actually started the topic with that little mock news story i wrote as a bit of a joke, didn't intend for it to be a 'let's get this kid' thing or anything! Look, the kid fu**ed up, and i hope his dad has a F***ing good go at him and makes him feel sorry so he knows what hes done wrong. Because throwing crap onto a field of play of any sort is straight up wrong. But the kid is 10 or something FFS so i hope he is safe, as he hopefully as a Liverpool fan has already learnt his lesson as it potentially cost us 3 points.
      Statto
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 351 posts |
      Reply #47: Oct 18, 2009 08:04:02 pm
      Beach ball apart, everyone seems to have overlooked the fact that we played s**t and were lucky yo get away with just one goal, they would have been better giving the beach ball to Babel to play with while he was wandering aimlessly around the pitch.

The players must be delighted that all the attention is on the fluke goal not on their lacklustre performance  ::) ::) ::) ::)
      Gow
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,531 posts | 282 
      Reply #48: Oct 18, 2009 08:18:38 pm
      No-one's overlooked that Statto. You must not have read the other 25 threads indirectly linked to the match.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,662 posts | 6960 
      Reply #49: Oct 18, 2009 08:19:08 pm
      there is a video of a referee scoring,apparently it's allowed but a beach ball aint

Erm. Wasn't a goal by a beach ball allowed yesterday?

w**ker.
      ayrton77
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,775 posts | 627 
      • © Established Quality Since 1977
      Reply #50: Oct 18, 2009 08:27:30 pm
      there is loads of jokes and stuff all over the net about the beach ball now

There "are" loads of jokes, you philistine.
      Statto
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 351 posts |
      Reply #51: Oct 18, 2009 08:31:01 pm
      There "are" loads of jokes, you philistine.

:lmao:

Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #52: Oct 18, 2009 08:32:17 pm
      Hahaha!

What's a phillistine when it's at home, Ayrton?

A Phillipino Frankenstein?
      ayrton77
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,775 posts | 627 
      Reply #53: Oct 18, 2009 08:33:58 pm
      What's a phillistine when it's at home, Ayrton?

One "l" - that's it, you're on my black list too.
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #54: Oct 18, 2009 08:35:17 pm
      Stop being racist, Frenchy.
      ayrton77
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,775 posts | 627 
      Reply #55: Oct 18, 2009 08:37:02 pm

Well I'd put you on my white list, but I wouldn't be able to read it, would I?
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #56: Oct 18, 2009 08:37:40 pm
      Don't know, you might have UV glasses?
      ayrton77
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,775 posts | 627 
      Reply #57: Oct 18, 2009 08:38:32 pm
      Don't know, you might have UV glasses?

Nope, just whiskey ones.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,369 posts | 8620 
      Reply #58: Oct 18, 2009 09:37:58 pm
      The blues are already texting jokes about it:

"The Liverpool fan accused of throwing the beachball onto the pitch at Sunderland has denied it was him. He claimed he was in his hotel room at the time."
      Gow
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,531 posts | 282 
      Reply #59: Oct 18, 2009 09:39:28 pm
      That's OK. We can take a joke.

We won't get bitter.
      THE BIG RED 1
      • Forum Youth Player

• 9 posts |
      Reply #60: Oct 19, 2009 01:45:49 am
      In the exigencies of common sense I will explain in laymans terms what every fan other than us Reds failed to see in this match, Sunderland apparently were better than us by virtue of the fact they had 1 less shot on target than us, had 4 less shots off target than us, had 6 corners less than us, committed 3 fouls more than us, had 4 offsides to our none, had an inferior passing success than us, had 1 less tackle than us ( and was7% less successful in the ones they did), and had less play in our half than we did in theirs and they were awarded the most farcical goal in the history of football in order to apparently be better, does that make it clearer for them do you think? You see stats do mean something afterall  8)

Lets not forget we managed away what the Mancs could only manage at home against the Mackems in real terms, a draw.

Fast forward to Anfield in the 97th minute against Sunderland later this season.

The ball leaves Gerrard's foot, hits the edge of the centenary stand, bounces off the Kop, hits Bruce on the arse as he has encroached on to the pitch, and goes in off the post after it hit the keeper on the back of the head when deflected by the referee, 1-0 Liverpool FT    :lmao:
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #61: Oct 19, 2009 01:52:36 am
      In the exigencies of common sense I will explain in laymans terms what every fan other than us Reds failed to see in this match, Sunderland apparently were better than us by virtue of the fact they had 1 less shot on target than us, had 4 less shots off target than us, had 6 corners less than us, committed 3 fouls more than us, had 4 offsides to our none, had an inferior passing success than us, had 1 less tackle than us ( and was7% less successful in the ones they did), and had less play in our half than we did in theirs and they were awarded the most farcical goal in the history of football in order to apparently be better, does that make it clearer for them do you think? You see stats do mean something afterall  8)

Lets not forget we managed away what the Mancs could only manage at home against the Mackems in real terms, a draw.

Fast forward to Anfield in the 97th minute against Sunderland later this season.

The ball leaves Gerrard's foot, hits the edge of the centenary stand, bounces off the Kop, hits Bruce on the arse as he has encroached on to the pitch, and goes in off the post after it hit the keeper on the back of the head when deflected by the referee, 1-0 Liverpool FT    :lmao:

Yeah we had better of the stats, but watching the game Sunderland were the better team. They chased harder, they passed better, and had more heart. Yeah they won to a sh*te goal, but had they taken their chances, which of they had more 'quality' chances than us, it would have been more. Yeah maybe we could have got something from the game, and should have, but i do not sit here and think "jeez, we deserved something" because we had 93 minutes to get just one goal, let alone two. And could hardly manufacture a decent chance. So don't gloss it over.

And we will smash them at Anfield ;)
      barrymanulow
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,014 posts | -14 
      Reply #62: Oct 19, 2009 01:59:38 am
      If the beach ball was in Pepe's goal in the first minute then how did it get from Pepe's goal back into the field of play?   Did the wind blow it back out on to the pitch?

The beach ball was in the penalty area as the cross was coming in and the referee's eyes should have been focussed on our box to ensure no penalty infringements or offsides were happening.

Well before Bent received the ball, turned, and hit the shot, the referee had ample time to blow his whistle and stop the play to have the beach ball removed.
      The fact that he did not indicates either that he did not see the beach ball, or that he did see it and thought it was not a hazzard, or was not potentially interfering with play.

The beach ball was in the direct line of Bents shot, and Pepe Reinas goal, so if that is not interfering with play then what is?

In truth, it was a feeble shot that never was going to beat Reina, and we all know that without the deflection off the beach ball it was a simple save for Reina.  The fact is it was poor refereeing, which is unsurprising in this day and age where referees are getting more and more incompetent.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,369 posts | 8620 
      Reply #63: Oct 19, 2009 05:23:24 pm
      With the press falling over themselves to take the piss over Beachballgate, it has stopped them taking the piss out of Rafa for his Calm Down, Calm Down at Steve Bruce!
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,662 posts | 6960 
      Reply #64: Oct 19, 2009 05:44:13 pm
      If the beach ball was in Pepe's goal in the first minute then how did it get from Pepe's goal back into the field of play?   Did the wind blow it back out on to the pitch?

Yep. Them North East winds.

Basic fact is that it shouldn't have stood.  If it hadn't have hit the balloon it was going straight to Reina.  The collision wrong footed Reina and he had his eyes and went to stop the balloon.

It happened and life's a bi*ch.  But as far as I'm concerned the referee should have known the laws of the game. 

The next time it happens in football it won't count.  Which knowing our luck will be when United fans throw one on to the pitch next weekend and Torres 'scores' off the balloon.
      Kop-Cnut
      • Forum David Johnson

• 228 posts |
      Reply #65: Oct 19, 2009 05:57:24 pm
      well at least i had a good week in fantasy football . . http://i37.tinypic.com/2cf89aq.jpg
      bendavey4
      • On Trial

• 1 posts |
      Reply #66: Oct 31, 2009 01:26:19 am
      ffs.

What are you pair trying to do to this poor kid?

Seriously thought you'd know better. D'you want this lad to get a kicking or something?

Look at the players on the pitch before you blame the f***in beach ball.

His fault for throwing it and the keepers fault for not removing it btw im a stoke fan xD
      « Last Edit: Oct 31, 2009 02:03:34 pm by MsGerrard »
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,369 posts | 8620 
      Reply #67: Oct 31, 2009 01:29:32 am
      His fault for throwing it and the keepers fault for not removing it btw im a stoke fan xD

Well don't worry you're only about week or so late, no-one cares anymore seeing as we beat them manc arseholes!!
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #68: Oct 31, 2009 01:31:49 am

Yes its his fault for throwing it but he shouldn't be threatened over it. The players did play sh*t, but it aint the keepers fault. The play was building and he had to keeps his eye on the real ball. It is the refs fault for allowing the goal. But we should have been able to come back. But we beat you 4-0 and beat the mancs last weekend, so who gives a flying f**k.
      Now why as a Stoke fan are you joining this forum?
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,369 posts | 8620 
      Reply #69: Oct 31, 2009 01:41:18 am
      Yes its his fault for throwing it but he shouldn't be threatened over it. The players did play sh*t, but it aint the keepers fault. The play was building and he had to keeps his eye on the real ball. It is the refs fault for allowing the goal. But we should have been able to come back. But we beat you 4-0 and beat the mancs last weekend, so who gives a flying f**k.
      Now why as a Stoke fan are you joining this forum?

Who said he's been threatened over it, oh yes the Sunday Manc, wouldn't believe everything you read in that pile of sh*te.

If he had been seriously threatened surely it would of been in the Echo.

Although I did notice any money the lad got from The Sunday Manc, he donated to one of the Hillsborough Campaigns. 
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #70: Oct 31, 2009 01:48:51 am
      Think i saw it online somewhere, maybe the Telegraph website as thats one i check more often? But they were probably quoting from that ::)

Good on him for the donation though.
      AdamT1985
      • Forum Titi Camara

• 41 posts |
      Reply #71: Feb 24, 2010 12:52:37 pm
      i was there and i got a picture of him before he threw the ball!!!!!!!!!!! :)
      Elrozzo1
      • Forum Phil Thompson

• 480 posts |
      • ElroyRosenberg hit me up on Twitter
      Reply #72: Feb 26, 2010 10:46:38 pm
      i hate that guy...oh well

have to admit...pretty funny

Quick Reply