Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Wolves [Premier League] Sun 19th May @ 4:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 16th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P16 W12 D1 L3

Raheem Sterling (Liverpool > Man City)

Read 377335 times
      little-Luis:)
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 7,844 posts | 179 
      Re: Raheem Sterling Player Thread
      Reply #1403: Jan 29, 2014 01:13:24 pm
      He was my motm last night, loved his attitude. Great going back & helping out and attacked them at pace, including winning the penalty. Final ball is not the best yet but his runs & how he uses space impress me more every game.

As others have said, is really stepping up his performances since last year.
      bigears

• 6,125 posts | 287 
      • My bird looks great in red
      Reply #1404: Jan 29, 2014 07:07:20 pm
      He has made me eat my words of criticism of him . He's getting better and better and his defensive qualities are also very good .
      federer
      • Needs a Klopp hug
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,932 posts | 645 
      Reply #1405: Jan 29, 2014 08:27:23 pm
      Watching the game again.  We all know Sterling is fast, but it seemed like yesterday he suddenly found an even higher gear.  Some of those runs he made with the ball were the fastest I've ever seen him on the pitch.

Unbelievable speed.
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #1406: Jan 29, 2014 08:27:58 pm
      I often heard said that one of the managers main qualities was bringing on the youth talent and really making them progress. I think with Raheem and also Flanno to an extent we are witnessing this. The way he has improved over the last 6 months is frankly frightening, he needs to do this consistently and only time will tell on that but if he continues like this or even steps up another level we could have a truely world class player on our hands here.

Well in Raheem and a special mention to the gaffer.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,313 posts | 4950 
      Reply #1407: Jan 29, 2014 09:44:29 pm
      Really impressed with how he has responded this season and as PD says above we have to give the manager a lot of credit as well as the player himself as many of us were thinking that Raheem needs a loan spell and that Flanno maybe isn't good enough but Brendan has proven he knows what to do with young players.
      vulcan_red
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,580 posts | 212 
      Reply #1408: Jan 29, 2014 10:13:12 pm
      I think a mention for Borrell and the academy ( I know he's gone now) for Raheem they have produced some good youth in recent times.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #1409: Jan 29, 2014 11:01:11 pm
      I think a mention for Borrell and the academy ( I know he's gone now) for Raheem they have produced some good youth in recent times.

Also to Rafa for bringing him to the club ;)
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,719 posts | 3941 
      Reply #1410: Feb 07, 2014 01:39:37 pm
      What a season from him. I think he's been absolutely fantastic and have every confidence he'll smash it again arsenal.

Exceptional talent in my eyes.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #1411: Feb 07, 2014 04:06:58 pm
      http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/liverpools-raheem-sterling-luis-suarezs-3119464#ixzz2se80roSP

This is exactly why I was a bit critical of Luis in the match thread. Even the goal I wasn't that happy with, Raheem had a great opportunity to shoot and basically stopped to look for Luis or Daniel.

His decision making needs to be balanced around the game situation at the time not at all to do with who is calling for the ball. The right decision will always be the right decision and I hope Raheem can manage to ignore Luis' rants at him because I do feel he has the ability to score a good few goals himself.

HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,218 posts | 4416 
      Reply #1412: Feb 07, 2014 04:09:20 pm
      http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/liverpools-raheem-sterling-luis-suarezs-3119464#ixzz2se80roSP

This is exactly why I was a bit critical of Luis in the match thread. Even the goal I wasn't that happy with, Raheem had a great opportunity to shoot and basically stopped to look for Luis or Daniel.

His decision making needs to be balanced around the game situation at the time not at all to do with who is calling for the ball. The right decision will always be the right decision and I hope Raheem can manage to ignore Luis' rants at him because I do feel he has the ability to score a good few goals himself.

He's still young and learning decision making comes with experience and building your own self confidence, only a matter of time and more games played.

LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,719 posts | 3941 
      Reply #1413: Feb 08, 2014 02:42:09 pm
      Top top player
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #1414: Feb 08, 2014 02:45:24 pm
      Can't stress enough how much he's a good player this kid, could be World Class in a few years. Has absolutely everything.
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #1415: Feb 08, 2014 03:00:01 pm
      Sterling's always had bags of pace and pretty good technical ability, but this year his biggest improvements have been the mental side of the game. Showed some serious intelligence and maturity today. As bigmick said ^ this kid is going to be very special if he keeps this progression up.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #1416: Feb 08, 2014 05:38:04 pm
      Loved how he nicked in and pinched his first goal off Studge  ;D

Thought he had yet another great game today.  He's now showing the form he had for the u18's and u21's, just watch the goals start coming for him now.  I expect at least 1 hattrick from him before the seasons end.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,327 posts | 2857 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #1417: Feb 08, 2014 05:44:20 pm
      If he doesn't win young player of the year it will be a disgrace
      yacster
      • Forum Kenny Dalglish

• 524 posts |
      Reply #1418: Feb 08, 2014 05:49:45 pm
      Just frightening today.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #1419: Feb 08, 2014 07:15:54 pm
      My friends often compare him to Iniesta, and at first it sounded as a joke - a great exaggeration - but seriously, not so much anymore!
      He does remind me of Iniesta in the way he can control and protect the ball incredibly well despite being relatively short.
      It's so difficult to get the ball from his feet and he's only got better when he has it. I'm in love with this young player.
      DanMann

• 5,789 posts | 892 
      Reply #1420: Feb 08, 2014 08:38:24 pm
      Top performance today! Well in.

He just needs to work on his finishing.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #1421: Feb 08, 2014 08:43:08 pm
      Sterling's always had bags of pace and pretty good technical ability, but this year his biggest improvements have been the mental side of the game. Showed some serious intelligence and maturity today. As bigmick said ^ this kid is going to be very special if he keeps this progression up.

You bring up a great point there about the mental side to his game. He made a few comments earlier in the week about how he has managed to improve his performances and create more chances by not looking for the likes of Suarez and Sturridge as soon as he gets possession of the ball. He is finally making his own mind up about what he wants to do with it and if those types of players are available then fair enough but if not then he is more than confident enough now to try something on his own.

Today was a prime example of making that apparent. Just before he took the first shot on goal (when he rebounded back to him) it was possible for him to square it to Suarez and earlier in the season or whenever, he would have done so but not today and I'm glad he didn't
      Monobrow
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,425 posts | 27 
      Reply #1422: Feb 08, 2014 08:49:38 pm
      Anyone know anything about his celebration?

Had a great game today. ;D
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,313 posts | 4950 
      Reply #1423: Feb 08, 2014 09:04:00 pm

Agree.

He won't though as the media have been so busy creaming themselves over Januzai that he will win it for having one or two decent halves of football.
      Semple

• 7,854 posts | 149 
      • Ireland's Finest Scouser. Henderson supporter.
      Reply #1424: Feb 08, 2014 09:08:22 pm
      Great today and over the last few games. Seems to have matured in his style of play and also his own mind. Only concern would be that his finishing sometimes isn't always accurate but he got two goals and could maybe have a few more. Frightening to think of how good and valuable he could be with a bit more of an effective shot. Keep up the hard work Raheem lad.
      AlexLFC95
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,393 posts | 56 
      Reply #1425: Feb 08, 2014 09:17:04 pm

Surely Hazard must get that award? Not sure what age they count as being 'young' though.

Quick Reply