Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 24th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P14 W9 D1 L4

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Vote for your man of the match

Pepe Reina
      (87.4%)
      Glen Johnson
      (0.7%)
      Jamie Carragher
      (0.7%)
      Martin Skrtel
      (0.7%)
      Paul Konchesky
      (4.4%)
      Lucas Leiva
      (0.7%)
      Christian Poulsen
      (1.5%)
      Maxi Rodriguez
      (0%)
      Milan Jovanovich
      (1.5%)
      Steven Gerrard
      (0%)
      Fernando Torres
      (0%)
      Raul Meireles
      (2.2%)
      Daniel Agger
      (0%)

Birmingham 0-0 Liverpool: In-game & post-match midfield bashing

Read 61326 times
      adammac
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,762 posts | 239 
      • Heart As Big As Liverpool
      Re: Birmingham 0-0 Liverpool: In-game & post-match midfield bashing
      Reply #667: Sep 13, 2010 04:57:29 am
      Just a few points I notice during the game,

- Like many (including my-self) said before the Poulson-Lucas combo in the middle of the park is not going to work. They offer the same thing only difference is one is old than the other. I don't know the point of paying 12m for Raul and not bother starting him, not like he was coming off injury and isn't like we needed him rested for mid-week.

- Roy has got to start using subs better, I thought Rafa was bad for waiting to make a change but Roy looks to outdone him.

- Great to see Pepe bounce back and keep the clean sheet and was by far MOTM

dizzy141
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 837 posts | 27 
      Reply #668: Sep 13, 2010 07:25:00 am
      F**k what a sh*t display, it was so frustrating to watch, our ball retention is nonexistent we give the ball away so easily. If Pepe had not been on such form we would have lost 4-1 we should have had a penalty but apart from the pen we had nothing going forward.
      I’m F***ing stressing for this weekend against the scum we going to have to step it up 10 fold against those cu*ts
      skolRED
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,177 posts | 265 
      Reply #669: Sep 13, 2010 07:34:35 am
      Torres's new black short hair is to blame for this season :).
      neilo
      • Forum Peter Beardsley

• 182 posts |
      Reply #670: Sep 13, 2010 08:41:39 am
      We havent won a league game there since Houllier was boss did you expect a 3 nil romp today?
      I dont expect the manager of liverpool to go anywhere with low expectations,and certainly not to a mid table club just because they have a good record we should be better than that we are Liverpool football club
      « Last Edit: Sep 13, 2010 08:47:11 am by neilo »
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #671: Sep 13, 2010 08:56:47 am
      What disappointed me is that we went there with a starting 11 that didn't look to have the ambition to want to win. It look as though we went there to just not lose.

The Lucas-Poulsen partnership, just like the Lucas-Mascherano partnership last season does not work at all. Steven Gerrard and Fernando Torres are too isolated with two similar not-so-attack minded players behind them.
      kb2x
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,841 posts | 215 
      • #WeComeNotToPlay
      Reply #672: Sep 13, 2010 09:08:03 am
      Poor Performance

Maxi, Poulsen and Johnson were poor

Torres looked frustrated with lack of service.

MOTM for me was Reina
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,683 posts | 6977 
      Reply #673: Sep 13, 2010 09:13:17 am

One successful attacking forward pass from Gerrard yesterday.
      TheKopite*****
      • Forum Ian St John

• 433 posts |
      Reply #674: Sep 13, 2010 09:17:12 am
      Have to give credit where it's due, St Andrews is a tough place to go and get a decent result and Birmingham should have won the game, Reina deserves man of the match out of our squad. We looked better when Meireles came on, Gerrard and Torres looked off pace especially Torres, but saw glimpes of his form returning. I feel the Meireles sub could've happened sooner and possibly bringing on Babel, Maxi was shocking, Johnson's defening was shocking and Skrtel had a few nervous moments. I would have preferred Agger starting CB with Carra, Konchesky had a great debut in my mind and was surprised when he came off for the injury incurred as he didn't look to be in too much discomfort. Otherwise, I feel we need to field a more attacking team, I didn't like the setup with Poulsen and Lucas partnering as DM's.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #675: Sep 13, 2010 09:20:34 am

In all fairness that does not paint the full picture, it does not highlight the ineptitude of the players behind him, remember Gerrard played in an advanced role for much of the game and he was just as reliant on service from the midfield as Torres was.

Even though I will admit myself Gerrard was misplacing quite a few passes yesterday also.
      kelvo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,207 posts | 52 
      Reply #676: Sep 13, 2010 10:11:24 am
      In all fairness that does not paint the full picture, it does not highlight the ineptitude of the players behind him, remember Gerrard played in an advanced role for much of the game and he was just as reliant on service from the midfield as Torres was.

Even though I will admit myself Gerrard was misplacing quite a few passes yesterday also.

Thats the nail on the head, when Stevie plays off Torres there is nothing creative coming from deeper. Poulsen and Lucas are the same, very average centre midfielders who both cannot pick a pass or create anything when we do get possession. In yesterdays game, no wonder the likes of Maxi, Stevie, Nando etc were so ineffective because the you may as well bypass the centre midfield pairing and rely on Carra's 70yard punts up field.

Masch couldnt partner Lucas, now niether can Poulsen...why cant Roy see this like Rafa before him!!!!!!
      Chico Banderas
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,072 posts | 150 
      Reply #677: Sep 13, 2010 10:33:18 am
      Poor Performance

Maxi, Poulsen and Johnson were poor

Torres looked frustrated with lack of service.

MOTM for me was Reina

You failed to mention Stevies terrible display.. Its funny how popular players are exempt from criticism by some fans.. *Sighs*
      vitez
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,701 posts | 156 
      Reply #678: Sep 13, 2010 11:13:47 am
      It's almost as if we F***ing well told you so, but you lot were more interested in helping twist the knife in a quality manager's back aided by such ammunition as zonal marking, £20m flops Aquilani and Johnson, 2 DMs and negative tactics - despite the fact I'm betting that 95% of you don't even know what the difference between zonal and man-to-man, in terms of strengths and advantages, is.  You called for Hodgson, you got it, you made your own bed now F***ing well lie in it and let this be a lesson for the future.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,479 posts | 4595 
      Reply #679: Sep 13, 2010 11:16:26 am

Gerrard is finished.

EDIT; So is carra.
      kb2x
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,841 posts | 215 
      • #WeComeNotToPlay
      Reply #680: Sep 13, 2010 11:16:56 am

You failed to mention Stevies terrible display.. Its funny how popular players are exempt from criticism by some fans.. *Sighs*

Excuse me? - Gerrard was sh*t yesterday, Just because I didnt mention him, doesn't mean I felt he had a good game. I just felt he was not worth mentioning as he was not the worst player out there

kelvo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,207 posts | 52 
      Reply #681: Sep 13, 2010 11:19:34 am

Disagree mate, just needs to play central for me.
      TheKopite*****
      • Forum Ian St John

• 433 posts |
      Reply #682: Sep 13, 2010 11:21:49 am
      Gerrard is finished.

EDIT; So is carra.

That's a bit harsh mate, like a previous poster added Gerrard didn't have the support from the mids etc i.e. Poulsen & Lucas. Gerrard and Torres were bashed about and marked like a fly on sh*t.
      Misty
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,586 posts | 62 
      • At the end of the storm- Is a golden sky....
      Reply #683: Sep 13, 2010 11:28:35 am
      Gerrard is finished.

EDIT; So is carra.

Is this where we start the discussion about selling them both?

World class players cannot win a game on their own- they need good team-mates around them to shine-
      If ROY realised Lucas & Poulsen add absolutely nothing to our game- played Gerrard where he plays his best football, and gave Pacheco & Babel more than 10 mins- we will see the kind of sexy winning football we have seen before!

I will remind you of this quote when you love Gerrard again.

P.S: Gerrard gets spared alot of criticism because he has proved himself time and time again, we have seen his talent & skill.
      Whereas the likes of Lucas, Poulsen, Maxi, etc- have yet to show us anything.
      BKLFC
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 822 posts |
      Reply #684: Sep 13, 2010 11:33:03 am
      Poor Poor performance from us.  Its so hard to take when Birmingham starts showing us up.  I didn't see any attacking threat at all from us.  Glad I got drunk before the match started. It eased the pain to some extent. Come on Lads lets pull our socks up and play like Liverpool should play and put fear into our opponents.
      kb2x
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,841 posts | 215 
      • #WeComeNotToPlay
      Reply #685: Sep 13, 2010 11:36:08 am
      Gerrard is finished.

EDIT; So is carra.

FFS,

some people on here really need to wake up and smell the coffee!

the reason the club is in such a state on and off the pitch is due to our asset stripping board and owners, they are in it for the money and have left the club in a terrible state - LIVERPOOL FC should not be in a state like this, so the blame ultimately lies with Moores and Parry.

The fact they sacked a world class manager and replaced him with a mid table manager ( who has had one good season and that was in the EUROPA LEAGUE)

The players are playing as they are told to, by our mid table manager ...If anyone on here truly believes Carra and Gerrard are finished, they need their F***ing heads testing...Who else do we have that could replace them? NOONE!

F***ing jokers some people on here!
      TheKopite*****
      • Forum Ian St John

• 433 posts |
      Reply #686: Sep 13, 2010 11:40:46 am
      FFS,

the reason the club is in such a state on and off the pitch is due to our asset stripping board and owners, they are in it for the money and have left the club in a terrible state - LIVERPOOL FC should not be in a state like this, so the blame ultimately lies with Moores and Parry.

The fact they sacked a world class manager and replaced him with a mid table manager ( who has had one good season and that was in the EUROPA LEAGUE)

The players are playing as they are told to, by our mid table manager ...If anyone on here truly believes Carra and Gerrard are finished, they need their f**king heads testing...Who else do we have that could replace them? NOONE!

Couldn't agree more mate, I think Carra had a cracker of a game yesterday! Johnson was the one lacking in defensive quality and I reckon Agger should have started ahead of Skrtel as I mentioned a good few posts above.
      Misty
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,586 posts | 62 
      • At the end of the storm- Is a golden sky....
      Reply #687: Sep 13, 2010 11:42:11 am
      FFS,

The players are playing as they are told to, by our mid table manager ...If anyone on here truly believes Carra and Gerrard are finished, they need their f**king heads testing...Who else do we have that could replace them? NOONE!

Yeah Baby!
      I held myself back on my post!

I blame Roy for yesterday- and the owners overall!
      Roy has the players sitting on the bench- he just didnt use them!
      arvindram
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 616 posts | 11 
      Reply #688: Sep 13, 2010 11:46:10 am
      Its gonna change. Joe and Raul in. Thats gonna be a hell of a different team.
      TheKopite*****
      • Forum Ian St John

• 433 posts |
      Reply #689: Sep 13, 2010 11:48:38 am
      Yeah Baby!
      I held myself back on my post!

I blame Roy for yesterday- and the owners overall!
      Roy has the players sitting on the bench- he just didnt use them!

I agree, Meireles made a difference when he came on, Babel would have injected pace and width. Pacheco and Torres upfront would have created more attacking options and taken the emphasis off Torres to give him that extra space.

Quick Reply