Trending Topics

Next match: Betis v LFC [Friendly] Sat 27th Jul @ 12:30 am
      Acrisure Stadium

Today is the 16th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P0 W0 D0 L0

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Who would you have as our first choice right back?

Glen Johnson
      57 (30%)
      Martin Kelly
      133 (70%)

Total Members Voted: 188

Johnson or Kelly

Read 37308 times
      Carroll9
      • Banned

• 324 posts |
      Re: Johnson or Kelly
      Reply #230: Feb 10, 2011 11:21:31 am
      Me and crouchy differ on his final ball. He thinks Kelly has a great cross and i don't, infact very the opposite. He cant whip a ball in.

Your saying he had two great games against Chelsea, both games carragher babysat him. Im not denying he didnt have two great games nor am i denying he hasnt been a good player for us these past few weeks, listen to what im saying.

I like Kelly and i hope hes done enough to earn a new contract, but what im saying is in my opinion he is basic, just your average footballer, and there are more better players in the world and the league for that matter than him. Therefore, our side can be strengthened.

The difference in class will eventually show. Just like it did with the last 10 or so home grown players who started very similar to Kelly but you could tell instantly it was a level to high for them.

fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #231: Feb 10, 2011 11:30:54 am
      Carroll9, your talkting out your arse mate.

Carroll9
      • Banned

• 324 posts |
      Reply #232: Feb 10, 2011 11:35:16 am
      No mate, people saying hes immense and theres been no better full back in the league this year etc are talking out their arse
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #233: Feb 10, 2011 11:39:10 am
      I actually feel Kelly has been one of the best prospects from the youth academy in the last 10 years or so. Definitely one to watch for Capello, IMO.

Wasn't really impressed with the likes of Jon Otsemobor or John Welsh from last time and I think time is running out fo Jay Spearing and Stephen Darby. They are like both 23 years old and at this age, most players usually have a spot in teams and I feel they should really look to further their career elsewhere because we have younger players whom I think have more potential like Jonjo Shelvey and Martin Kelly.

But anyways, back to the topic. I think Kelly is great defensively. Doesn't let get people past him too easily. His deliveries aren't bad but they aren't excellent either. I actually like Glen Johnson as a player so I think both should be our RB and LB for now.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,685 posts | 3905 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #234: Feb 10, 2011 11:52:54 am
      Me and crouchy differ on his final ball. He thinks Kelly has a great cross and i don't, infact very the opposite. He cant whip a ball in.

Your saying he had two great games against Chelsea, both games carragher babysat him. Im not denying he didnt have two great games nor am i denying he hasnt been a good player for us these past few weeks, listen to what im saying.

I like Kelly and i hope hes done enough to earn a new contract, but what im saying is in my opinion he is basic, just your average footballer, and there are more better players in the world and the league for that matter than him. Therefore, our side can be strengthened.

The difference in class will eventually show. Just like it did with the last 10 or so home grown players who started very similar to Kelly but you could tell instantly it was a level to high for them.

I suppose if I suggested he was one of our better players when Carra was out injured you'll try and tell me Skrtel babysat him then.

Master of the underhanded compliment you are...

I like the chap... Followed by more reasons why you think he's not good enough
      Carroll9
      • Banned

• 324 posts |
      Reply #235: Feb 10, 2011 12:11:37 pm
      Because im stating he is good enough to be a squad player but IMO isn't good enough to hold down a regular first team spot if we want to push for titles

The previous home grown players i've mentioned were also good enough to be a squad member, just not good enough to play 38 games a season. I think Kelly falls into this category.

We will see anyway.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #236: Feb 10, 2011 12:15:04 pm
      The fact is he is playing out of his natural position and excelling. He can play anywhere along the back line, and at his age compared to Carra, he is showing more potential.

If he improves from the level he is at already, then i think he will end his Liverpool carreer with 500+ apps, and 80 apps for England.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #237: Feb 10, 2011 12:22:04 pm
      Because im stating he is good enough to be a squad player but IMO isn't good enough to hold down a regular first team spot if we want to push for titles

The previous home grown players i've mentioned were also good enough to be a squad member, just not good enough to play 38 games a season. I think Kelly falls into this category.

We will see anyway.

So your not happy with the 4 clean sheets, and 4 back to back wins, you think we should change a backline with Glen going back to RB and a much more 'experienced' Aurelio back at LB?

Be interesting to see your vision for our defensive line. Lets splash out on Ally Sissoko, or some other over hyped, left back you've seen nothing of.

Kenny will continue to play Kelly because he thinks he IS good enough, and has a vision to blood through young players who are good enough. I'll trust Kenny over your nonsense.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #238: Feb 10, 2011 12:22:43 pm
      No, but you can tell hes star struck when he talks about the club. It's as if he cant believe it. He absolutely adores Roy Hodgson as well for giving him an opportunity. Ive not seen him since Kenny took charge.

But anyway, can Martin Kelly be dropped? Is this lad droppable? The answer is yes. Meaning hes a squad player. He's done well in what is basically his first season but eventually the difference in class will show.

There are far better players who play a similar role to Kelly meaning our team can be strengthened in that area.

I like the lad and Im not criticisng him, but he is a very basic meidocre, steady eddy footballer.

A bit like a very basic, mediocre, recenty retired RB from scumchester.  Didn't stop him breaking most records for club and country over the last 15 years.

Kelly is by far a better RB than he was and I'm looking forward to still debating this with you in 2026, if I'm still alive of course  ;D
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,687 posts | 6981 
      Reply #239: Feb 10, 2011 12:25:12 pm
      Crouch are you joking me? His final ball is very poor.

Leaving this topic anyway because its coming accross as im criticisng the lad and im not, I just think hes basic, average, and hes a position where I think the club can strengthen on in the summer. Thats all.

Let's just get back to basics a minute.

Kelly is a defender.  In my view, he's a far better 'defender' than Johnson is.  As for the criticism of his crossing, not too sure where this has come from, I actually think he is a pretty decent attacking threat for us.  Gerrard struggles to even get a cross in from a corner.

It will be interesting to see how Kelly gets on when he has Carroll and Suarez in the side.

For me, at the minute, there is no doubt that Kelly should remain right back.
      skolRED
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,178 posts | 265 
      Reply #240: Feb 10, 2011 12:33:50 pm
      Great racer mate, I too said for long time to put GJ on wide attacking rather than rb, many times already proved that GJ's defensive was terrible. Just until someone manage to improve his defensive performance play Kelly at rb is better, imho.
      And as our present right wide attacking player available, Maxi/Kuyt/Amoo I believed GJ better than them all.

Apologize here for copied my previous posted but just want to say how I happy when the lad from our academy step up to the first team and proof his quality. It's only great in the future for us.

I think the time I done above post I also already voted for Kelly, but look like I still can vote now, anyway I'm please to do it again :D
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #241: Feb 10, 2011 12:36:24 pm
      I really couldn't choose at the moment.

I'm quite happy with what we're doing. (Kelly on the right, Johnson on the left).
      Lfcred92
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 972 posts |
      Reply #242: Feb 10, 2011 12:43:08 pm
      I think Kelly is a great defender and pretty good going forward, whilst johnson is the opposite grea going forward but not really a world beater in defence
      bigears
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,125 posts | 287 
      • My bird looks great in red
      Reply #243: Feb 10, 2011 12:51:04 pm
      I really couldn't choose at the moment.

I'm quite happy with what we're doing. (Kelly on the right, Johnson on the left).
      exactly mate why fix something if it"s not broke ,just goes to show how good johnson is to move from right to left and keep up standards.
      keydow
      • Forum Youth Player

• 16 posts |
      Reply #244: Feb 10, 2011 12:53:27 pm
      kellys first big test was against chelsea and i dont think he did too much wrong, if anything. has come on this season and looks like a great prospect. better than johnson? Maybe not yet but has the potential to, easily
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #245: Feb 10, 2011 01:06:02 pm
      Thankfully Dalglish has solved the problem by playing both of them and getting more out of both too. If I was to be critical I would say that Kelly's heading is a worry, especially if he is ever to make the switch to CENTRE BACK. The number of times he doesn't jump when supposedly challenging for a ball in the air ......... I don't expect him to win every header, but he needs to make a challenge and jump with his opponent to put him off.

I think he has been an outstanding success so far, he seems to have come to terms with what is expected of him offensively and makes intelligent runs and gets his cross in, he has sound positional skills (certainly better than Johnson's) and will only get better with experience. I am not sure if he will develop into a top class player but the least I expect is that he will become a valued utility player such as O'shea at the mancs.

With Johnson all my worries are defensive one's. His main problems being positional and losing concentration (and subsequently the player he his marking) Against Chelsea we again saw him lose Anelka at a corner and be told off by Reina. I think having a more mobile footballer playing alongside him in Agger has suited him more than Skrtel or Carra did and obviously the new formation which has relieved him of some of his defensive duties in the last couple of games has played much more to his strengths.

I presume we will buy a new Left back in the summer, and then we will either sell Johnson......... or Kelly will become a utility defender. Glen offers much more going forward when on form, but needs to be in good form to keep Kelly out, I can't see Johnson staying if Kelly gets the nod.
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,791 posts | 7190 
      Reply #246: Feb 10, 2011 01:11:42 pm
      It seems a bit out of date now as they are both playing well thanks to Kenny.Having said that who isnt playing better under Kenny.
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #247: Feb 10, 2011 01:23:53 pm
      F**k me the amount of players that lose other players at corners is unreal happens 3 or 4 times every F***ing corner, people really are F***ing knit picking at Johnson.

Thank F**k the people that matters rate him highly Kenny and Steve Clarke, he is a top player
      RedScouseLaz
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 753 posts | 40 
      • du du du du du du, du du du du du du
      Reply #248: Feb 10, 2011 04:37:06 pm
      Nice of you to pick a post 5 months old, I still think Johnson is a better player but over the last few months Kelly has matured into a very solid player. He has great potential for the future

Only reason I picked that post is because you claimed you would be back, basically rubbing peoples noses in it if he were to have performed sh*te. Fortunatley for us, he has been a revelation at right back this season so you were wrong to have been so negative. Just goes to show, give youth a chance!
      Ov3rdose
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,961 posts | 17 
      Reply #249: Feb 11, 2011 12:38:03 pm
      If Kenny will continue playing with 5 defenders, I'd go for this:

Aurelio                                   Johnson
                   Agger   Carra   Kelly

Johnson is better at attacking then Kelly, while Kelly is better at defending than Johnson.

Let Johnson destroy the wings while Kelly plays in a similar role to Aggers'.
      redprint
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 636 posts | 23 
      Reply #250: Feb 11, 2011 12:49:38 pm
      It's Kelly for me.  he has shown a maturity beyond his years.  he is very calm and seems to have a good awareness at right back.  Johnson just seemed to have to many lapses in that position.  However, at left back he seems more comfortable and isnt having the lapses of concentration.  I don't know why.. maybe he is more cautious in his approach when going forward.
      crzy_jkr@u
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,774 posts | 29 
      • Rebuilding a legacy...Trust, Will, Pride, Respect.
      Reply #251: Feb 11, 2011 12:54:09 pm
      The only problem I have with Kelly is his boots. He's always sliding all over the place. In terms of his ability, he's a great crosser of the ball.

Johnson no doubt should be a winger but Kenny has placed him in a position where he does his defensive duties and still manages to get into dangerous areas. I think Johnson as a winger though would score at least 6 goals a season if not more.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #252: Feb 11, 2011 03:17:26 pm
      kellys first big test was against chelsea and i dont think he did too much wrong, if anything. has come on this season and looks like a great prospect. better than johnson? Maybe not yet but has the potential to, easily

He started against united though so surely chelsea wasn't his first big test - he performed exceptional against both though.

Quick Reply