Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 23rd of May and on this date LFC's match record is P9 W4 D1 L4

If Not Roy Then Who? (Wild speculation about next boss)

Read 150333 times
      red_squirrel
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,131 posts | 15 
      Re: If Not Roy Then Who? (Wild speculation about next boss)
      Reply #2208: Jan 07, 2011 05:12:58 pm
      If these wheels are moving, then is it not plausible that Kenny could work as caretaker with Coyle as manager in waiting (like a no.2) until the end of the season when he steps up?

Not sure about Coyle myself like.  I like the sound of this Rangnick fella - 2 successive promotions and an attacking, pressing 4-3-3 formation!
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #2209: Jan 07, 2011 05:15:20 pm
      I wouldn't be mad for Coyle to be honest, his Bolton team are starting to stutter. It would be like getting John Gregory or George Burley in the middle of there great seasons with Ispwich or Villa.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,438 posts | 8656 
      Reply #2210: Jan 07, 2011 05:19:10 pm
      I wouldn't be mad for Coyle to be honest, his Bolton team are starting to stutter. It would be like getting John Gregory or George Burley in the middle of there great seasons with Ispwich or Villa.

Bolton didn't exactly impress me New Years Day!
      vitez
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,701 posts | 156 
      Reply #2211: Jan 07, 2011 05:24:25 pm
      Bolton always start the season well, I'll dig up the stats after this episode of Big Bang Theory.
      LFCexiled
      Reply #2212: Jan 07, 2011 05:27:02 pm
      Coyle up to joint favourite? Maybe there be legs to these Jan 12th rumours.
      RedWilly
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,213 posts | 1646 
      Reply #2213: Jan 07, 2011 05:31:55 pm
      Think Coyle has the potential to be a good manager, but would much rather wait and see how he does with Bolton at the end of the season.

Seems like the type of guy I like though, and plays good, attacking football. He wouldn't be my first choice but if he came I would be more than happy to give him time, provided I can see what it is he is trying to achieve and gets us back to attacking football.
      Ov3rdose
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,961 posts | 17 
      Reply #2214: Jan 07, 2011 05:35:22 pm
      Coyle would be a risk. Bolton are doing well with him, but Fulham managed to get to the Europa League final with Roy, too.

We need a manager that has managed a top team and has been successfull.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #2215: Jan 07, 2011 05:36:04 pm
      Think Coyle has the potential to be a good manager, but would much rather wait and see how he does with Bolton at the end of the season.

Seems like the type of guy I like though, and plays good, attacking football. He wouldn't be my first choice but if he came I would be more than happy to give him time, provided I can see what it is he is trying to achieve and gets us back to attacking football.

Yep. I like Coyle as well. I think it'd take a bit of time to turn Liverpool around but age is on his side and give him a wad of cash and he'll fly. Sammy Lee tried to make Bolton play good football after the fat c**t left Bolton and failed. Coyle's come in and been able to allow Bolton play good football AND it looks to be very successful. Seems like the manager the players would love to play for as well. A very modern manager for the modern age of football unlike Roy Hodgson. All this 'Look at Roy Hodgson so NO to Owen Coyle' is bullshit.
      RedWilly

• 9,213 posts | 1646 
      Reply #2216: Jan 07, 2011 05:39:05 pm
      Coyle would be a risk. Bolton are doing well with him, but Fulham managed to get to the Europa League final with Roy, too.

To be fair though, at the moment he has got Bolton performing far better in the league than Roy ever had Fulham doing. Think one of the reasons I'm attracted to him is because he isn't one of the big names that is always linked to every job under the sun, sick and tired of the same names being knocked around.

You don't get anywhere always going safe, taking a gamble is often the best way forward.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #2217: Jan 07, 2011 05:40:58 pm
      To be fair though, at the moment he has got Bolton performing far better in the league than Roy ever had Fulham doing. Think one of the reasons I'm attracted to him is because he isn't one of the big names that is always linked to every job under the sun, sick and tired of the same names being knocked around.

You don't get anywhere always going safe, taking a gamble is often the best way forward.

Not only do his teams play good football but they are tough as hell. That's the way we like it at Liverpool.
      RedWilly

• 9,213 posts | 1646 
      Reply #2218: Jan 07, 2011 05:41:40 pm
      Yep. I like Coyle as well. I think it'd take a bit of time to turn Liverpool around but age is on his side and give him a wad of cash and he'll fly. Sammy Lee tried to make Bolton play good football after the fat c**t left Bolton and failed. Coyle's come in and been able to allow Bolton play good football AND it looks to be very successful. Seems like the manager the players would love to play for as well. A very modern manager for the modern age of football unlike Roy Hodgson.
      Agree with pretty much everything there. And I believe he signed Stuart Holden who has turned out to be brilliant for them. Done a good job there, when you consider how long they have played sh*te football for, he's come in and immediately changed things round and got results to go with it.

And completely agree about him being the type that a player would love, seems to have a bit of personality about him. And I love how he wears shorts in all weather!
      Red5man

• 9,616 posts | 76 
      Reply #2219: Jan 07, 2011 05:45:00 pm

Not a good comparison for me. Roy always played negative football at Fulham. Coyle is known for an attacting, attractive style of football. Big difference, especially with two midtable teams.
      johnlfcreds2010
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 996 posts | 69 
      Reply #2220: Jan 07, 2011 05:54:12 pm
      I have always said that Owen Coyle is exactly the manager to take our club forward.
      He's young , fresh , still learning and if in twenty years time he's a legend of a manager, lets make sure its at our club.
      As regards to any players who have nailed their colours to Roy's mast , well take a deep breath and get on with it because it was a mistake and sh*t happens so leave if you must but stop sulking about it.
      Would love Rafa back but can't see that so Coyle for me.
      redpool
      • Forum David Johnson

• 217 posts |
      Reply #2221: Jan 07, 2011 05:58:24 pm
      THE ANDY GRAY COLUMN
      LIVERPOOL SHOULD KEEP HODGSON
      Andy Gray: 7 January 2011

There's a lot more wrong with Liverpool than what is happening on the pitch. By the end of Rafael Benitez's reign they were practically a Spanish-speaking club with plenty of Spaniards in influential positions which made communication difficult.

Roy Hodgson's main problem is that he was not appointed by the current owners of the club. It's the same problem that Mark Hughes faced at Manchester City and Sam Allardyce at Blackburn. As witnessed with those two, it can prove fatal.

The American owners would probably prefer to install their own manager. They will want their man in charge and they won't care too much about the club's admirable tradition of not sacking managers too hastily.

It's well documented that Premier League owners can be quick to pull the trigger on managers these days but clubs need continuity, especially one with such proud heritage as Liverpool.

The owners should back the manager and let the team play their way out of trouble. Whichever way you look at it, Roy Hodgson needs his team to start winning soon.

http://www.sportingpreview.com/columns/1011019917.php

The pundit with the biggest sh*t mouth has spoken.
      LFCexiled
      Reply #2222: Jan 07, 2011 06:04:05 pm
      THE ANDY GRAY COLUMN
      LIVERPOOL SHOULD KEEP HODGSON
      Andy Gray: 7 January 2011

There's a lot more wrong with Liverpool than what is happening on the pitch. By the end of Rafael Benitez's reign they were practically a Spanish-speaking club with plenty of Spaniards in influential positions which made communication difficult.

Roy Hodgson's main problem is that he was not appointed by the current owners of the club. It's the same problem that Mark Hughes faced at Manchester City and Sam Allardyce at Blackburn. As witnessed with those two, it can prove fatal.

The American owners would probably prefer to install their own manager. They will want their man in charge and they won't care too much about the club's admirable tradition of not sacking managers too hastily.

It's well documented that Premier League owners can be quick to pull the trigger on managers these days but clubs need continuity, especially one with such proud heritage as Liverpool.

The owners should back the manager and let the team play their way out of trouble. Whichever way you look at it, Roy Hodgson needs his team to start winning soon.

http://www.sportingpreview.com/columns/1011019917.php

The pundit with the biggest sh*t mouth has spoken.

What an absolute arse, because the inevitible is going to happen he sets himself up with his argument early. Practically a Spanish speaking club? Rafa insisted that english was spoken at the club.

At least we'vre prepared for his rant about Rafa and the new owners being all at fault.

Wouldn't he just love it if we kept him.

Hate filled, vile man.
      johnlfcreds2010
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 996 posts | 69 
      Reply #2223: Jan 07, 2011 06:05:58 pm
      All Liverpool haters want Roy Hodgson to remain at the club as long as possible - Fact!
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,669 posts | 7156 
      Reply #2224: Jan 07, 2011 06:08:23 pm
      Dont rise to that liitle c**t as I said I would have Rafa back just to  piss off the southern based media who are right up Hodgson's arse.
      It would be wonderful to get someone in and make a big improvement right away how would they deal with that.
      Andy Gray knows F**k all as English is the only language used by the staff.
      God I hate that man i hate the media and I hate Roy.
      muck
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,168 posts |
      Reply #2225: Jan 07, 2011 06:11:07 pm
      MON 5/2 fav.... oh dear.
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,669 posts | 7156 
      Reply #2226: Jan 07, 2011 06:13:37 pm
      Well if they appoint him we will back to square one deja vu Roy.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,333 posts | 2834 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #2227: Jan 07, 2011 06:15:25 pm
      - Rafa Benitez
      - Kenny Dalglish
      - Ian Holloway

I'd pick from these 3. And I don't give a F**k about Ian's lack of experience, before someone complains.
      Red Barrovian
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,356 posts | 77 
      Reply #2228: Jan 07, 2011 06:16:14 pm
      I'd be happy with Coyle believe it or not. He is a risk, there's no doubt about that, but he plays a very fluid attacking game. I'd still sooner have someone like Benitez, Dalglish, Deschamps or Villas-Boas.
      LFCexiled
      Reply #2229: Jan 07, 2011 06:16:24 pm

Owen Coyle 4/1
      Ralf Rangnick 4/1
      Frank Rijkaard 6/1
      Kenny Dalglish 8/1
      Gus Hiddink 10/1
      Andre Villas-Boas 10/1
      Didier Deschamps 12/1
      Rafa Benitez 12/1
      Manuel Pellegrini 20/1
      Jürgen Klinnsmann 25/1

Which bookies where you at Euro? The concensus I seem to get from Google seems to go along these lines:

# 7/2 – Frank Rijkaard
      # 2/1 – Martin O’Neill
      # 4/1 – Ralf Rangnick
      # 9/2 – Kenny Dalglish
      # 7/1 – Rafa Benitez
      # 10/1 – Didier Deschamps
      # 14/1 – Guus Hiddink
      # 14/1 – Jürgen Klopp
      # 12/1 – Manuel Pelligrini
      # 16/1 – Owen Coyle
      # 16/1 – Jose Mourinho

Quite a few have Kenny as second favourite but generally it's along them lines.
      LFC
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,715 posts | 36 
      • In JK I trust! YNWA
      Reply #2230: Jan 07, 2011 06:21:55 pm
      What do we think of Coyle?

Quick Reply