Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Wolves [Premier League] Sun 19th May @ 4:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 16th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P16 W12 D1 L3

NESV/Fenway Sports Group: Owners of LFC

Read 2785777 times
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,197 posts | 3477 
      Re: NESV/Fenway Sports Group: Owners of LFC
      Reply #28474: Jun 13, 2021 03:02:29 pm
      Even when there's a crisis, like no other, which clearly indicates that just for one window you need to abandon the model?

They brought in two CB’s 🤷‍♂️
      Mmmklopp
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 344 posts | 74 
      Reply #28475: Jun 13, 2021 03:03:48 pm
      They brought in two CB’s 🤷‍♂️

On the 31st of January!!!!!

One hadn't won a game all year and one NEVER PLAYED FOR US! They done this to stick to the model which proves my point.

You lot talk for the sake of it
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,197 posts | 3477 
      Reply #28476: Jun 13, 2021 03:03:53 pm

When he is required to play then we can judge him - right now he is there for cover for Robertson to strengthen the squad , which is exactly what everyone wanted was it not 🤷‍♂️

He also had a season disrupted by Covid and injury
      Mmmklopp
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 344 posts | 74 
      Reply #28477: Jun 13, 2021 03:05:16 pm
      When he is required to play then we can judge him - right now he is there for cover for Robertson to strengthen the squad , which is exactly what everyone wanted was it not 🤷‍♂️

He also had a season disrupted by Covid and injury

Robbo, at times, was a walking zombie yet we continued to play him because Klopp doesn't fancy the Greek lad.

Enough said, I can't argue with you Stevie Wonders anymore
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,197 posts | 3477 
      Reply #28478: Jun 13, 2021 03:06:48 pm
      On the 31st of January!!!!!

One hadn't won a game all year and one NEVER PLAYED FOR US! They done this to stick to the model which proves my point.

You lot talk for the sake of it

Do you know what CB’s were available in January ? Where they not looking at a number of options - did you think they could just bring one in at will

What does it matter if a players previous team played poorly - that’s not the fault of one person

Robertson played for a Team that got relegated - did that make him a poor buy

What is this “model” you keep talking about - is that the one that helped the team win the CL and league 🤷‍♂️
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,197 posts | 3477 
      Reply #28479: Jun 13, 2021 03:08:13 pm
      Robbo, at times, was a walking zombie yet we continued to play him because Klopp doesn't fancy the Greek lad.

Enough said, I can't argue with you Stevie Wonders anymore

Then that’s down to Klopp if he doesn’t play - Klopp is the one making the team choices - or is that now the owners at fault as well

When did Klopp tell you he doesn’t fancy Kostas ?
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,304 posts | 4949 
      Reply #28480: Jun 13, 2021 03:09:54 pm
      Even when there's a crisis, like no other, which clearly indicates that just for one window you need to abandon the model?

Possibly but if it gets into the way of your plans for this summer then you do what we did.

Did City splash out on a CB to replace Laporte in 19/20 or did they wait until the summer to get the man they planned for all along?
      Mmmklopp
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 344 posts | 74 
      Reply #28481: Jun 13, 2021 03:13:16 pm
      Possibly but if it gets into the way of your plans for this summer then you do what we did.

Did City splash out on a CB to replace Laporte in 19/20 or did they wait until the summer to get the man they planned for all along?

City had CB's but they weren't performing.

We had ONE FIT CB at the club. Bro, how clear could that point be? That CB was none other than Joel Matip. Mr 45 mins every 10 games yet they were still happy to bring in no one until he got injured too and we had ZERO fit CB's
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,197 posts | 3477 
      Reply #28482: Jun 13, 2021 03:14:25 pm

We had ONE FIT CB at the club. Bro, how clear could that point be? That CB was none other than Joel Matip. Mr 45 mins every 10 games yet they were still happy to bring in no one until he got injured too and we had ZERO fit CB's

What about Phillips and Williams
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,304 posts | 4949 
      Reply #28483: Jun 13, 2021 03:18:35 pm

I don't entirely disagree to be honest but we don't always see the bigger picture.

If we couldn't get someone who fitted the profile and signing someone else permanently would have affected our deal with Konate and our future planning then you wait and do what the club did and sign a Kabak on loan.

Not perfect but I'd still sooner we had a clear plan and stuck to it as close as we can than a scatter gun approach to recruitment.
      ruthcity
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,938 posts | 1480 
      Reply #28484: Jun 13, 2021 03:22:16 pm
      We failed to hold on to the Prem. because of injuries and a lack of quality back up to mount a challenge.
      We should have built on our success last season and strengthened obvious weaknesses.

Rather dims one of the two trophies under Klopp's tenure.

I’m still proud that we won the premier league. The wall doesn’t say that the 19th trophy is of lower quality. In fact we walked it. 99 points and very proud of it. It’s not like we won it via a scrappy VAR decision.

Perhaps you were expecting more this season? But objectively, that has nothing to do with last season.
      ruthcity

• 6,938 posts | 1480 
      Reply #28485: Jun 13, 2021 03:28:30 pm

I’d take a loan as a stop gap, then wait for my permanent target to be available or his valuation to be more sensible. I’m not going to have just anyone walk into my team and pay good money for him based on an injury opportunity.

Was this what we did this season?
      Mmmklopp
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 344 posts | 74 
      Reply #28486: Jun 13, 2021 03:28:36 pm
      I don't entirely disagree to be honest but we don't always see the bigger picture.

If we couldn't get someone who fitted the profile and signing someone else permanently would have affected our deal with Konate and our future planning then you wait and do what the club did and sign a Kabak on loan.

Not perfect but I'd still sooner we had a clear plan and stuck to it as close as we can than a scatter gun approach to recruitment.

My issue is the Kabak type player should have been holding up a Liverpool shirt on the 1st Jan.

This is my gripe with them.

Couple that with letting Lovren go and not signing a replacement because the model must be stuck to.

Sorry JĂźrgen but you have ÂŁ30m net. If that doesn't cover all the positions we need to strenghten then it is what it is
      « Last Edit: Jun 13, 2021 03:35:14 pm by Mmmklopp »
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,030 posts | 3960 
      Reply #28487: Jun 13, 2021 04:30:20 pm
      I’m still proud that we won the premier league. The wall doesn’t say that the 19th trophy is of lower quality. In fact we walked it. 99 points and very proud of it. It’s not like we won it via a scrappy VAR decision.

Perhaps you were expecting more this season? But objectively, that has nothing to do with last season.

Of course but those who know, ex-players and credible pundits to name a few, all agreed that we should have built on our success.

The potential weakness was there for all to see and that frailty was exposed this season.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,304 posts | 4949 
      Reply #28488: Jun 13, 2021 04:34:00 pm
      My issue is the Kabak type player should have been holding up a Liverpool shirt on the 1st Jan.

Again I don't disagree and as I've said numerous times before they are not perfect, but who is?

Once we knew we needed a CB that player should have been in at the start of the window in theory but again we don't know what has went on behind the scenes especially in this football world disrupted by Covid.

On Lovren going and no replacement I think that was as much down to JĂźrgen as anyone else.
      « Last Edit: Jun 13, 2021 04:56:17 pm by srslfc »
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,197 posts | 3477 
      Reply #28489: Jun 13, 2021 04:46:12 pm
      Of course but those who know, ex-players and credible pundits to name a few, all agreed that we should have built on our success.

The potential weakness was there for all to see and that frailty was exposed this season.

We bought three players in the summer - a LB , one of the best center mids in European Football and superb forward

The talk was it was Klopp that was happy to go into the season with his CB options as they were

So which trophy isn’t a major one - the league or the CL ?

And who was the 4th manager FSG employed
      Gill95
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,662 posts | 490 
      Reply #28490: Jun 13, 2021 08:52:59 pm

Seriosuly dude, do you get a kick out of this? I mean, one major trophy?, "Dims" the other one? What the F**k, hahahaha.

It's not like we didn't sign a promising attacker  which turned to be a good F***ing player...... etc. You avoid questions, when others ask you, and you ramble on about the same thing over and over again. Strange fella you are.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,030 posts | 3960 
      Reply #28491: Jun 14, 2021 01:03:57 am
      Seriosuly dude, do you get a kick out of this? I mean, one major trophy?, "Dims" the other one? What the F**k, hahahaha.

It's not like we didn't sign a promising attacker  which turned to be a good F***ing player...... etc. You avoid questions, when others ask you, and you ramble on about the same thing over and over again. Strange fella you are.

Whatever
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,846 posts | 6785 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #28492: Jun 14, 2021 01:16:55 am
      F**k sake 10 pages since I last came in, did they give us money this time?  ;D
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #28493: Jun 14, 2021 12:39:11 pm
      The stooges are now reduced to personal comment!

There is no comeback from the fact the owners have put no more capital into the club than the initial buy out sum.

:lmao:

Seriously stuey, get a grip. I've been in this forum for as long as you have, and the one trying to imply anyone in disagreement must have ulterior motives is you - calling people "stooges" is the very definition of "personal" comment/attack.

I guess I am supposed to be working for FSG if I ask you questions you are incapable of answering!
      ruthcity

• 6,938 posts | 1480 
      Reply #28494: Jun 14, 2021 06:28:56 pm

We did try to build the squad that were based on assumptions that our defence stayed fit. We were so good till Christmas if you need evidence. At that point, we were fighting to win the league. To say that we should’ve known or we were weak wasn’t exactly fair as nobody would have known what happened next. Top at Christmas. If we had known we would’ve asked VVD to track back rather than challenge Pickford. Those who foresaw our injuries put your hand up. Tell me what to bet on next. I’ll sell everything to follow you.

It wasn’t that we did not build. We built based on certain assumptions, except that those assumptions did not unfold and the unexpected happened. It wouldn’t be exactly fair to be turning around now and say that they didn’t build.

Maybe the way the built it wasn’t up to your expectations? Or maybe if we want to fault them, fault them for not anticipating the worst or not being able to foresee the injury crisis which happened?
      -LFC-
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,236 posts | 1224 
      Reply #28495: Jun 14, 2021 09:09:11 pm
      Which team has the 'promise of success' if they are not challenging? This sentence makes little sense to me. And every top club's revenues are impacted by finishing near the top and going far in the Champions League, so yeah, getting a top manager to help you get there is part of the job. Giving him a fair share of that revenue growth to continue improving his team is also a reasonable way to spend that extra money - for all the obsession about transfer fees, those are impacted by a multitude of factors and, unless you are spending in the billions like Man City, hardly guarantee you much success.

In the 10 years since FSG have been at the club, revenues have increased by 165% and the wage bill by 169%. The club generates more money which in turn is spent in the team - it is a positive cycle and one thing doesn't happen without the other.

And of course we have the revenues to attract players, now - as much as you try to make it sound as if increasing revenues was a ridiculously simple thing to do, our recent history shows it isn't, not quite. If we hadn't increased revenues in the years before 2016 by some 60%, we probably wouldn't even be able to attract a manager like Klopp

I find this an odd thing to say. Klopp operated under pretty strict financial constraints at Dortmund and was still able to win back to back German titles and reach the CL final. He was a good fit for the club by his own admission.

I would be interested to know what the figures for revenue growth were in the years before Klopp took charge compared with the rest of the top six earners and, moreover, what proportion of the increase is accounted for by increases in broadcast revenues?

It is no co-incidence that our revenues increased considerably after Klopp took charge as, with the success of the team on the pitch instigated by his management, we saw a proportionate increase in the numbers of people prepared to part with their cash. It is for the same reason our wage bill increased. More success on the pitch = higher wages spent on bonuses and more lucrative contracts for current players and new signings. Would we expect FSG not to invest increased revenues in higher wages for players the manager has helped turn into world class exponents of the game?

If you are a reasonably sensible business person and you take on the ownership of the most successful football club in English football history you pretty well ought to be capable of taking advantage of the opportunities that it presents. Should we expect to be any less successful in purely revenue terms than would otherwise have been the case? Lower than how many other clubs in the Deloitte rankings? The fact that H&G and before them, Moores, failed to do so through their catastrophic mismanagement is not strong evidence in favour of FSG being overly strong backers of the team in financial terms. I would say they have been reasonably prudent and a damn sight better than the previous owners but this is sort of what you expect from any owner worth their salt.

I think they are very lucky to have Klopp and would ask how many other managers would have achieved the same level of success under the same set of circumstances? They would almost all of them have needed a bigger budget.

You said earlier you don't think it's all about one man but this kind of circular thought suggests that maybe you do, in all honesty. Of course a successful team is then going to make more, as all clubs use incentivised contracts these days. It also shows the club's willingness to spend to keep their best players, and that is indeed backing the manager and allowing him to continue his legacy.

It's not all about one man and it's important as others have said to give credit to the kit man, the technical people behind the scenes, Edwards, the scouts and to a degree the owners for not bankrupting the club and sensibly doing what previous owners neglected to do, but the main reason for our success is the manager. His success has created a halo effect that lends itself to an overly positive view of FSG.
      -LFC-
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,236 posts | 1224 
      Reply #28496: Jun 14, 2021 09:24:34 pm

To tell you how key Edwards is - Mo Salah

During the summer that Mo Salah was bought he wasn’t the player Klopp wanted - Klopp wanted Brandt and it took Edwards to persuade Klopp that it was Salah who would be best suited to the Prem and the way Klopp wanted to play . That should show anyone how important Edwards and his team is within the process

What's the evidence for this? How do you know we would have signed Brandt but for the intervention of the scouts? I recall reading reports at the time that Klopp was hugely impressed with Mo when his Dortmund side played Basle, long before we signed him.

Quick Reply