Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Wolves [Premier League] Sun 19th May @ 4:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 18th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P14 W7 D4 L3

Celtic plans ban for Poppy protesters

Read 9431 times
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,375 posts | 8624 
      Re: Celtic plans ban for Poppy protesters
      Reply #46: Nov 09, 2010 03:59:59 pm
      I don't agree or disagree with what those Celtic lads have done, but I do agree that politics shouldn't be forced onto football clubs.

When Thatcher eventually kicks the bucket, Liverpool Football Club WILL be expected to observe a minutes silence if we're playing at home that weekend, and the players WILL be expected to wear black armbands to honour her memory, despite her obvious hatred of the city.

Many on here that are having a go at the Celtic lads will be up in arms about how much of a disgrace it is that LFC are having a minutes silence for her. It won't be observed in the ground, there will most probably be a couple of banners 'commemorating' her death and all this opposing of the political norm will draw a backlash from Sky and other media outlets.

I understand that it's totally different comparing Thatcher with millions who lost their lives in service, but the point I'm making is that football clubs should not be forced to buy into a uniform political agenda, regardless of their heritage or beliefs.
      LFCBAFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,539 posts | 30 
      • Scousers rule the country!
      Reply #47: Nov 09, 2010 04:01:42 pm
      The people that did this are pure scum.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,375 posts | 8624 
      Reply #48: Nov 09, 2010 04:14:49 pm
      The people that did this are pure scum.

They would say the same about the para's in Northern Ireland around 1972!

Just saying like.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,472 posts | 4593 
      Reply #49: Nov 09, 2010 04:19:19 pm
      They would say the same about the para's in Northern Ireland around 1972!

Just saying like.

For those too young to remember it was ' Bloody Sunday ' Bogside Massacre.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,675 posts | 6968 
      Reply #50: Nov 09, 2010 04:23:09 pm
      When Thatcher eventually kicks the bucket, Liverpool Football Club WILL be expected to observe a minutes silence if we're playing at home that weekend, and the players WILL be expected to wear black armbands to honour her memory, despite her obvious hatred of the city.

Many on here that are having a go at the Celtic lads will be up in arms about how much of a disgrace it is that LFC are having a minutes silence for her. It won't be observed in the ground, there will most probably be a couple of banners 'commemorating' her death and all this opposing of the political norm will draw a backlash from Sky and other media outlets.

I'm not entirely sure that would 'automatically' result in black armbands to be honest.  Heads of State are one thing but former political leaders and PM's another.

Last former Prime Minister to die during the season was James Callaghan in March 2005.

Following game was against Bolton at home

crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #51: Nov 09, 2010 04:39:24 pm
      Politics on a national and international scale like this shouldn't be aired in a football ground. Pro/against war, it is human sacrifice on both sides at the end of the day and Celtic Football Club wanted to show support for the people who risk their lives in battle. I don't care if you support the war or don't, appreciation of their bravery is paramount before condoning their actions.

The people who showed the banner were mindless wankstains who wanted to be controversial - not for being against the wars, but for being so dimwitted in doing that in public at a football stadium they paid to go to to watch their team play football, not a political forum.
      gareth g
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 15,469 posts | 366 
      Reply #52: Nov 09, 2010 05:06:50 pm
      Politics on a national and international scale like this shouldn't be aired in a football ground. Pro/against war, it is human sacrifice on both sides at the end of the day and Celtic Football Club wanted to show support for the people who risk their lives in battle. I don't care if you support the war or don't, appreciation of their bravery is paramount before condoning their actions.

The people who showed the banner were mindless wankstains who wanted to be controversial - not for being against the wars, but for being so dimwitted in doing that in public at a football stadium they paid to go to to watch their team play football, not a political forum.
      To right Mate, and I for one wear my poppy with pride.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,375 posts | 8624 
      Reply #53: Nov 09, 2010 05:23:14 pm
      I'm not entirely sure that would 'automatically' result in black armbands to be honest.  Heads of State are one thing but former political leaders and PM's another.

Last former Prime Minister to die during the season was James Callaghan in March 2005.

Following game was against Bolton at home

Possibly, but there weren't discusssions about state funerals and the like before his death, there has been those discussions about Thatcher. Trust me, Murdoch and his mates will be pushing for minutes silences all over the shop and sky will be there to slag off anyone who doesn't conform.
      JFT96_LFC
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 619 posts |
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #54: Nov 09, 2010 06:29:21 pm
      A lot of Celtic fan's family and friends have died due to British forces e.g. Bloody Sunday, Ballymurphy, Aidan Mcanespie and plenty more Is one of the reasons behind it also the Green Brigade are a left-wing antifa ultras group and are anti-war and against the British capitalist imperialist army. I don't think the banners should have been displayed inside the ground, Outside it yes. As everyone is entitle to freedom of speech. Celtic chairman John Reid the former MP is also deeply frowned upon by the Green Brigade as he is seen as a war criminial(Iraq etc another story for another day) and he and the media have really forced this upon Celtic. The AICSC(Association of International Celtic Supporters Clubs) is backing the Green Brigade along with many other Celtic supporters. I'll will post the Green Brigade official statement of this and the AICSC statement also in a bit.
      JFT96_LFC
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 619 posts |
      Reply #55: Nov 09, 2010 06:32:41 pm
      Celtic Supporters Assiciation Statement:

The Celtic Supporters Association after having a number of discussions with the club and our member branches wish to make it clear once again that we believe the Celtic shirt should be used only to promote Celtic Football Club and it’s sponsors.
      We believe that this form of bullying people and clubs into wearing the poppy symbol is contrary to what many people believe is a democratic right; to have freedom of choice; freedom of expression, and freedom of speech.
      The Celtic Supporters Association is a democratic organisation which act’s in the best interests of their members, we consult with them on all issues and then carry out their wishes to the best of our ability.
      We believe that it is not in the best interest of Celtic Football or their fans to have a policy which is clearly divisive, this poppy issue came up two years ago as a direct result of the backlash for the singing of the racist “Famine Song” we have opposed it every year and are glad to hear that this will be the final year of the policy.
      At this Sunday’s match versus St Mirren there will be a minutes silence held before the kick off, we would ask once again that if anyone doesn’t want to take part in the silence for whatever reason, then remain outside in silent protest, then make your way into the stadium.

Green Brigade Statement

At half-time during today’s match against Aberdeen we displayed message banners calling for ‘No bloodstained poppys on our hoops’ in protest at the Club’s decision to once again wear the poppy on our shirts during next week’s game at St Mirren (a match our group will not attend because of this decision). This is in support of an appeal by Poppyscotland to all SPL clubs. Poppyscotland describes its role as ‘supporting heroes’ and state that ‘the poppy has become a symbol of remembrance and for the sacrifices made by our Armed Forces’. Our group and many within the Celtic support do not recognise the British Armed Forces as heroes, nor their role in many conflicts as one worthy of our remembrance. Earlier this year, the Saville Report on Bloody Sunday confirmed that 14 unarmed civilians were murdered in Derry in 1972 by the Paratroop Regiment. They were among hundreds killed by the British Army during the most recent phase of conflict in Ireland. More recently, the British Armed Forces have murdered and maimed many thousands more innocent civilians in Iraq and Afghanistan. The poppy remembers not just our grandfathers who fought the Nazis but also those who bombed the Belgrano and brutally occupied the streets of Belfast and Basra. While we recognise the right of individuals to remember their dead and that many within the Celtic support will wear the poppy in memory of family and friends lost in WW2 and other conflicts, we cannot accept the imposition of the poppy onto our shirts.

As far back as April, representatives from the Green Brigade, Celtic Supporters Association and Celtic Trust met with Peter Lawwell to express our united opposition to the Club imposing the poppy on the first team jersey. We also know that the AICSC and many other individual supporters had called on the Club to reverse their position of previous years and take the poppy off the shirt. Following our meeting in April, the Club were contacted on several occasions for further dialogue on the issue but informed us that they were still considering their position and would get back to us. The first any group knew of the decision was after it had been made, and publicly announced. We share the views of the AICSC whose recent statement on the poppy stated that ‘to see the jersey being used as a medium for such a divisive symbol and the message it communicates is deplorable’, and that it showed a complete lack of respect for the support, further highlighted by repeated declarations on the official website of Celtic’s delight to be wearing the poppy and supporting Poppyscotland. It appears rather than leave his politics at the door, chairman John Reid, the former Armed Forces Minister and Secretary of State for Northern Ireland and Defence, has forced his onto the first team jersey.

As you may have noticed at today's game, we mistakenly missed out the 'D' in 'bloodstained'. This happened in the rush to finish two displays for today's game (with our 'Show the SFA the red card' action before the match the other). The real mistake, however, is the Club forcing the poppy onto our shirt.
      gareth g
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 15,469 posts | 366 
      Reply #56: Nov 09, 2010 06:41:35 pm
      If it wasn't for the brave soldiers who gave their lives in the World wars, you wouldn't have a Celtic, never mind a Celtic supporters association!
      JFT96_LFC
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 619 posts |
      Reply #57: Nov 09, 2010 06:44:18 pm
      If it wasn't for the brave soldiers who gave their lives in the World wars, you wouldn't have a Celtic, never mind a Celtic supporters association!

I'm not disagreeing with you mate. Theres some great Celtic men/women who have died serving in the forces and God Bless them. I'm just posting the views from some of the Celtic supporters point of view. Would be boring if we agreed all the time eh.
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #58: Nov 09, 2010 07:02:51 pm
      Absolute bunch of horse sh*t that. Every single one of them can go F**k themselves as far as im concerned, bunch of pricks. They could well be speaking F***ing German by now if it wasn't for the brave men and women who played any part in World War 2.

Oh, thanks for taking up my argument TKID - vitez, you make good posts usually but that was absolute crap. You obviously don't understand history very well.

In answering the 2 points JD raised - 1) No, football is meant to be about football. If you can't go to a match without bringing up a totally unrelated agenda, you should give your ticket to someone who wants to go to the match to enjoy it for what it is.
      2) Absolutely. A football ground is there for supporters to support a team. It aint a place for political protests, and if people are seen to be protesting and putting the club into controversy, the club has every right to ban them as it is their property. I have every right to tell someone to F**k off from my families home if they are acting disrespectfully in my home, so this is no different.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #59: Nov 09, 2010 07:06:13 pm
      Its easy to hold protests about armed forces from the comfort of football stadia. Not so easy to fight for a pointless war, way beyond your control.

A lad from my old school year died earlier this year in Helmand. We weren't best friends, but he was a nice guy with a lot to look forward to.

The brave people of the services, their families and friends do not deserve the attention seeking sniping, tarnishing their names at this time of the year, and I would support any ban put in place upon people who use football matches as a platform to spout their bile.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,675 posts | 6968 
      Reply #60: Nov 09, 2010 07:31:50 pm
      While I don't agree with their views, fair enough they are not attending next weeks game.  A perfectly legitimate way to show your unhappiness.

But last weekend unfurling a banner inside the ground - all it did was tarnish the reputation of Celtic fans.

It wasn't the place to make the protest.
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #61: Nov 09, 2010 07:44:27 pm
      While I don't agree with their views, fair enough they are not attending next weeks game.  A perfectly legitimate way to show your unhappiness.

But last weekend unfurling a banner inside the ground - all it did was tarnish the reputation of Celtic fans.

It wasn't the place to make the protest.

Perfectly fine way to protest. Could have not gone and released a simple statement saying they didn't agree with it, and are not attending because of that view. Wrong view still IMO, but at least they would have been taking a respectable stance.

Instead they made themselves look liked idiots.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #62: Nov 10, 2010 03:13:33 am
      Poor effort, Celtic fans. It's now blown all out of proportion and beyond football, it's about saving face.

Sad.
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #63: Nov 10, 2010 05:34:50 am

Instead they made themselves look liked idiots.

Just read my own post back. Irony in that line is im calling another group idiots and i don't even grammar check myself - "look liked idiots" :D

But cos i like to laugh at my own stupidity at times, i can't be ar.sed changing it.

;D

bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #64: Nov 10, 2010 09:35:51 am
      Green Brigade Statement

Earlier this year, the Saville Report on Bloody Sunday confirmed that 14 unarmed civilians were murdered in Derry in 1972 by the Paratroop Regiment. They were among hundreds killed by the British Army during the most recent phase of conflict in Ireland.

I found this excerpt particularly interesting as it gets to the crux of the matter. The real agenda, if you like.

As many of you will know the Celts have a song (also sung by the blueshite by the way - but that's another history lesson); "The Celtic Song" - which is played as the teams take to the pitch - has the following lyrics:

"When you read its history,
      It's enough to make your heart grow sad,
      God bless them."

Part of that undeniable history is that these Celtic players gave their lives, whilst fighting for their country: Patrick Slavin, Leigh Roose, Donnie McLeod, Archie McMillan, Robert Craig, John McLaughlin and Peter Johnstone.

Back to 'The Green Brigade' statement: Did you know?

* During the 'conflict' in Northern Ireland: 1,543 Roman Catholics, in total, were killed. Of that: the British Army killed 266; Republican paramilitaries killed 381.

* During the 'conflict' in Northern Ireland: 355 Republican paramilitaries, in total, were killed. Of that: the British Army killed 117; Republican paramilitaries killed 164.

* During the 'conflict' in Northern Ireland: 1,921 Civilians, in total, were killed. Of that: the British Army killed 168; Republic paramilitaries killed 713.

source: http://cain.ulst.ac.uk/issues/violence/cts/fay98.htm#tables

The 'Green Brigade's' statement, try as does, will never mask their sectarian agenda in this instance. I know bullshit when I see it. I know sectarianism when I see it. I've lived with it and fought against it day and daily for 40 years - dressing it up as 'political' doesn't wash.

Celtic is a great club, a proud club, with a great history and it has done the right thing by not letting sectarian bigots tarnish it's name.

Some of the very 'fans' who unfurled the banner have sung (and will sing) about knowing "the history" yet; they have sung (and will sing) about the I.R.A. - "It's enough to make your heart grow sad"

Peace.

stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,034 posts | 3961 
      Reply #65: Nov 10, 2010 10:08:07 am
      What a bunch of mealy mouthed F***ing wankers, the poppy represents a tribute to the common soldier who fought and suffered to save his country and it's populace from unimaginable terror.
      Whatever connutation the establishment attach to it's significance to promote their obscene agenda is irrelevant, poppy day is purely a way of saluting the fallen and injured who were sent into battle through no choice of their own and did what they were asked to do. Any monies raised is for their benefit although it is never enough.
      Consider the sight of the horribly wounded and mentally scarred veterans and compare that to the picture of these F***ing creatures with their repulsive F***ing banner.
      « Last Edit: Nov 10, 2010 05:29:20 pm by stuey »
      BigRed1978
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,874 posts | 51 
      • Y.N.W.A
      Reply #66: Nov 10, 2010 10:16:15 am
      I support Celtic's stance in banning the poppy 'protesters' 100% as i think the whole point of the poppy appeal has become clouded in todays mentality regarding just/un-just wars.

The poppy is used simply because it was the first flower to blossom upon the graves of the soldiers we lost in WW1, a war which occurred almost 100 years ago and, to quote Blackadder, would've been far simpler if we'd just stayed at home and shot 50,000 of our men a week.

My great grandfather was killed in the Battle of the Somme, which is why i wear a poppy every year. To remember him even though i never met him. I believe WW1 was an un-just war for us but i believe WW2 was a just and noble campaign.

The morons who're misinterpreting the message of the appeal today by using the Iraq/Afgahnistan campaigns(which i think are just a waste of time and servicemen and women's lives, but then again i'm not in the oil/drug business) are exactly that. Morons.

This type of thing has no place at a football match or stadium and i wholeheartedly agree with the banning.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,034 posts | 3961 
      Reply #67: Nov 10, 2010 11:29:08 am
      What about the IRA, ETA and Al-Qaeda?  Don't disrespect them, they're fighting for a cause they believe is correct.  Come on man, it can swing both ways.  The only rational way is to condemn them all - people with guns are cowards and should not be lauded as heroes, they're simply doing somebody else's dirty job.  There's no national or worldwide "thank you to plumbers day (who do the same thing), why are soldiers held in higher regard?", but as long as they conform to your standards though and conduct themselves in a way which doesn't represent a different set of views to your own, then they have a right to freedom of speech or freedom of protest.  Hate to tell you but that's not freedom of speech or protest.
      I am surprised at the nature of your comment as it goes against the grain of your usual excellent posts.

Respect is earned, not given.  You might respect them for serving in any given war, I respect the people who try and broker peace talks.  Like you, it could be said I don't give a F**k about the politics but I think we can agree it has no place in sport because sport has a great way of bonding two people who are otherwise on opposite ends of the political spectrum.  I feel the wearing of the poppy breaches that in the first place.

I don't personally support showing up at soldier's funerals with "burn in hell" signs but I respect people's right to do so.  I think it's in poor taste but I also feel that human rights and freedom of speech/protest/press/opinion are more important than offending what the mainstream would consider the social norm.  I want equality for all, if protesting about politics in sport isn't fair game on the grounds of separation of the two, then the same rule should apply to pushing political agendas on sports.  Simple case of what's good for the geese is good for the gander.

Now before you jump on my IRA, ETA, Al-Qaeda comments citing that they kill innocent civilians and use terror to intimidate people, if you think the governments of those involved in ALL wars don't do the same, you're only kidding yourself.  One man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter.  Condemn neither or condemn them both.
      Naivety in the extreme! The organisations you mention use outrage as a tactic to draw attention to their "cause".
      The more bloodthirsty and obscene the better because of the global exposure their acts are given and the best way these creatures can achieve their end is by targetting the innocent.
      ORCHARD RED
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #68: Nov 10, 2010 07:28:18 pm
      There is absolutly no excuse for politics to be brought into football! The Old Firm "supporters" are brain washed into hating "the other side" and everything about them from the day they are born.
      Pathetic!
      « Last Edit: Nov 11, 2010 10:04:14 pm by ORCHARD RED »

Quick Reply